Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is Tab Targeting, not Aim based like a TPS/FPS

Comments

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Some people I am sure, are turned off from GW2 because all the misleading rumors about the gameplay being aim based.. But it isn't. It's tab target, with unique hit detection mechanic. Attacks still homing attacks like a tab target. Aiming the camera will not aim the attack.

Around 3:00 you can see what I mean if you want visual proof. I know some fans will come in and not care, but many people are not as informed as you are, and believe the game uses aiming combat like MO or something, which it doesn't.

At 3:00 I saw someone get killed. Then shortly afterwards I saw someone shooting fireballs at the place where someone should be, but was getting intercepted by some cover.

Where was the homing missiles? If anything is misleading, it is this thread.

Yes, if you have a target you will aim your attacks at them. No they are not homing missiles. Yes you can aim for yourself if you choose to. Its called options, deal with it.

I saw far more homing missiles in TERA than I ever did in GW2, dispite all its claims of 'action combat'.

Terras so called aiming isn't THAT special actually cause after you hit a enemy they will come right in front of you (if you are a ranged or magic user against a melee enemy) so you won't have to aim again.

I was just standing there with my mystic, hitting one skill after another and when the enemy charged a special attack(takes them a few seconds and was always almost the same procedure), I just waited for the animation and used my "dodge" skill that let me jump back to avoid the hit.

Then I used the same skills in the same manner and dodged again (rinse and repeat) against every enemy till they were dead.

This sequence worked for bosses aswell.

Use skill 1, 2, 3, dodge skill, 1,2,3 (or 4 or 5 depending on the situation), dodge skill.

Even with the aiming feature, Terra didn't cut it for me. I found the GW2 battle more action based and most of all far more innovative due to the fact that no one spams the chat "group is looking for healer/priest/cleric (you name it...) like in other games, waiting in like 20-30 minutes before you can go further and then when you are one yourself and say "I'm one", you get asked if you have certain skills, you don't have them? Kick! The search continues for them continues and your search becomes troubling because you are stuck in the place, can't go further and no one is willing to help you to do so.

That in a "Massive Multiplayer" based game!

Then you manage to get into a group and the first thing what happens is like:

"Heal and keep everyone alive, if we screw up because we split allover the screen, you are still getting the blame because you suck and we are the top of the world elite players!".

Aha! Well thanks but no thanks!

• CrackboneCrackbone Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by fiontar

Some people I am sure, are turned off from GW2 because all the misleading rumors about the gameplay being aim based.. But it isn't. It's tab target, with unique hit detection mechanic. Attacks still homing attacks like a tab target. Aiming the camera will not aim the attack.

Around 3:00 you can see what I mean if you want visual proof. I know some fans will come in and not care, but many people are not as informed as you are, and believe the game uses aiming combat like MO or something, which it doesn't.

I wonder where misleading rumors might come from, or even the invention of rumors that aren't really rumors or controversies that aren't really controversies?

BTW, I tested targeting in GW2. Yes, there is tab targeting, no one ever said their wasn't. The game also has auto-targeting, which you can turn off in options. With Auto-targeting turned off, if you don't manually select a target with your cursor or via tab targeting, the facing of your character determines the path of your attack. Target or no target, you can and will still hit things in the path of your attack, targeted or not.

If you never want to tab target and also don't want the game to automatically lock onto a target for you, but rather prefer to target based on character facing, just turn off auto-targeting and avoid or unbind your tab targeting.

Yep, and I absolutely love the flexibility.  

Anyone starting a "controversy" is just trolling imo. 

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by Butregenyo
    Noone claimed that gw2 is aim based, but attack and projectiles are not homing like you said. They aim automatically at the current location of the target but if you are mobile at that moment or perform a dodge roll, the projectile will not follow you and so you can evade it.
    For example in World of Warcraft, projectiles follow you, arrows bend their course to hit, that is homing.

This is only partially true as in only certain skills. There are enough skills which can not be dodged by simply walking in another direction.

The basic longbow shot (1) of my warriors bow does HOME into you. despite bunny hopping 5 meters left. It flys a curve.
    The Explosive Arrow can be dodged by not walking into the area it was initially launched at.
    Both can be "dodged" by using the skill / (doubeltap). Which really is not about "evading" but about a skill to avoid "hits" despite still standing in teh area..

This is all fine and certainly "different" enough to the common themepark. But certainly no where near TERA or FPS based gameplay, and all those foul cries about "Skill" and learning to dodge are really just overhyped fanboy euphorism.

GW2 combat is a nice step up from TAB based, but don't plays in the same league like TERA.

• HayasaHayasa Member UncommonPosts: 29

Wow, are you actually serious about the aim-based? This things are what confirm people with an agenda for other titles.

Is pretty ludicrous to make a statement about something that never was there.

i.e.: Tera is a fail, the world doesn't change as claimed! (Youtube link) look how the monsters spawn constantly in the same place and don't change anything.

I'm pretty exhausted of forum warriors with an agenda. The agenda may be for get visits on a blog, on payroll of another mmo, some kind of e-attention, etc... All of you are just parasite sucking on communitys.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Classicstar

So whats your problem i wonder?... what you wanne proof here?

Its bit of both and it works for me, who cares what other games have i like combat in GW2 if you dont like it don't play it simple as that.

I think you may be confused here. He isn't complaining, he is trying to bring up controversial questions and discuss them so others will learn more about GW2.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NavekNavek Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by Amjoco

Its bit of both and it works for me, who cares what other games have i like combat in GW2 if you dont like it don't play it simple as that.

I think you may be confused here. He isn't complaining, he is trying to bring up controversial questions and discuss them so others will learn more about GW2.

I think you may be confused here. He is complaining, trolling and generally being a dick so others will post in his pointless threads to boost his e-peen.

Nothing to see here move along.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by Navek

I think you may be confused here. He is complaining, trolling and generally being a dick so others will post in his pointless threads to boost his e-peen.

He been trolling the GW2 forums for weeks now we posts like these you should just ignore MMOEXPOSED posts because there just troll attempts.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

GW2 is a hybrid combat model which uses both aim and tab based targeting.  If you do not have a target, your projectile will fire in the direction your character (not camera) is facing.  If you select a target, your projectile will fire in the direction of your target.  Your projectile will not "home in" on your target and it can be dodged by a skilled player.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Originally posted by sanshi44

He been trolling the GW2 forums for weeks now we posts like these you should just ignore MMOEXPOSED posts because there just troll attempts.

I actually knew who made the thread before even looking at it, but c'mon - play nice :D  It's prompting some good discussion at least.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

actually, NVM, cba to get into one of Exposed's threads:P
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by Arawulf

I actually knew who made the thread before even looking at it, but c'mon - play nice :D  It's prompting some good discussion at least.

It is funny though because i think he plays tera and doesnt want GW2 to take people away from the game, but all he realy doing is promoting the game with his posts with all the player comments cming in with proof that he wrong and so on (also making more hits on the GW2 forums).

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Known troll. Avoid at all costs.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

Originally posted by Ezhae

It's actually partially non-tab based. Yes, you can tab target and you will attack in the direction of the mob/person you have targetted but:

- many attacks have arc and can be done without targetting anyone, which means you can run into group and spam your wide attack to hit several people at once without targetting any of them. 

- ranged attack have defined range and it won't autorun you into range, you can also shoot them without targetting anyone and still hit people 

- you can dodge away from both physical attacks as well as projectiles 

- there is also a lot of ground targetted attacks even for melee characters that you will have to aim to hit somoene.

So in his video, if the  target/enemy would have dodged before the necros cast, the cast would not have went off?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by skydiver12

Noone claimed that gw2 is aim based, but attack and projectiles are not homing like you said. They aim automatically at the current location of the target but if you are mobile at that moment or perform a dodge roll, the projectile will not follow you and so you can evade it.

For example in World of Warcraft, projectiles follow you, arrows bend their course to hit, that is homing.

1) This is only partially true as in only certain skills. There are enough skills which can not be dodged by simply walking in another direction.

2) The basic longbow shot (1) of my warriors bow does HOME into you. despite bunny hopping 5 meters left. It flys a curve.

The Explosive Arrow can be dodged by not walking into the area it was initially launched at.

3) Both can be "dodged" by using the skill / (doubeltap). Which really is not about "evading" but about a skill to avoid "hits" despite still standing in teh area..

4) This is all fine and certainly "different" enough to the common themepark. But certainly no where near TERA or FPS based gameplay, and

5) all those foul cries about "Skill" and learning to dodge are really just overhyped fanboy euphorism.

6) GW2 combat is a nice step up from TAB based, but don't plays in the same league like TERA.

1) Why would you just walk in another direction when you can dodge? Btw, your statement makes no sense... you want to be able to dodge by just walking? That's why GW2 has the "dodge" mechanic in place.

2) its "Dual Shot". It fires two arrows. It does not follow like wow projectiles. If you're within range and in LoS (line of sight), you'll get hit. If you're behind a wall, or any other obstruction, or dodging (like you said), then you won't get hit.

3) So avoiding dmg is not evading dmg?

4) Whoever told you that GW2's combat was the same as FPS and/or TERA was not being accurate

5) A clear sign you are being impartial in your assessment no doubt. Surely you're not trolling, surely not!

6) I guess time will tell who's not in who's league.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

It's actually partially non-tab based. Yes, you can tab target and you will attack in the direction of the mob/person you have targetted but:

- many attacks have arc and can be done without targetting anyone, which means you can run into group and spam your wide attack to hit several people at once without targetting any of them. 

- ranged attack have defined range and it won't autorun you into range, you can also shoot them without targetting anyone and still hit people 

- there is also a lot of ground targetted attacks even for melee characters that you will have to aim to hit somoene.

So in his video, if the  target/enemy would have dodged before the necros cast, the cast would not have went off?

Skills will fire whether they can hit or not.  The target can be dodging, hidden by cover, out of range, whatever.  When you press the button, the skill fires.  It's the player's responsibility to make sure that it can connect.  The game won't do it for you.

Well in this case he may be trolling, but this is a good topic to discuss. I have been trying to understand it for days now. If you want to learn any of the mechanics it is very hard to find information on it. I have been trying to gather bits and pieces from forums, wiki, and videos, but there is no where that I can find that gives solid information about it. One persons view counters anothers so I'm skeptical on what is what. If anyone can link me to an official, or even a reliable site I would appreciate it! :) I learn gooder with pictures! 

Originally posted by Unlight

Skills will fire whether they can hit or not.  The target can be dodging, hidden by cover, out of range, whatever.  When you press the button, the skill fires.  It's the player's responsibility to make sure that it can connect.  The game won't do it for you.

Ok, so he could stand there and fire at the side of the hill all day. Gotcha. All I played in the beta was a warrior so I didn't have the caster knowledge at all. Thank you.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

some ppl should have the rights to post threads revoked

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

I found tab targetting to be the better option as it allowed for locking onto specific targets, however, abilities fire off where ever they're aimed even if you haven't selected a hard target. You also have the option of combining that with auto targetting.

So while you're not really forced to select a target, I personally found it to be more efficient to do so.

It's important to understand that it isn't one or the other if you're trying to educate people, rather a combination of both but easily customizable to one extreme or the other through the options menu. Other options include auto facing (which seemed to have thrown a few people off at first), auto targetting, and even fast mouse over AE targetting.

ONce people get used to the gameplay they'll have to play around and decide what's best for them, but it is a bit misleading to claim that there's no option aside from tab targetting.

• c-trayc-tray Member Posts: 98

I think it is somewhere in between tab targeting and fps style. I mean there is no denying you can press tab and select an enemy and you will track them, however tab targetting as a mechanique, to me, implies that you tab, select your target and fire your skill and even if the target moves, you would still hit. This is just not true in GW2 if you fire a shot and the target moves, there is no magic bullet effect, you miss.

I only tested this out with a guardian using a staff, I will deffinately think to further test this next beta weekend with something like a thief with pistols or a ranger with longbow.

• MrP3inMrP3in Member UncommonPosts: 49

GW 2 its a tab target game thats it.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Originally posted by holyman1981

GW 2 its a tab target game thats it.

That's false actually. On my warrior for example, one of my cone based Bow AE attacks was often used without a target as it was less limiting that way and allowed me more control over exactly where I fired it. There's an example of this on every character I tried.

I'm sure you mean well, or perhaps mean that for you the tab targetting was the only way to go, but surely if you'd played it you'd have been aware of this? Or maybe as it's a new game you assumed you had to tab target.

Whatever the reason for the misunderstanding, now you know :)

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Not sure of the OPs intentions, but it generated some good info for me. 

I'm playing Tera right now and love the combat. It's something you can get good at with practice and skill. I don't like tab targeting and auto-attacks.

What I thought about GW2 before was that it was either Aim based OR Tab targeted which to me said - yeah I could aim and practice up, but my opponent could win by tab targeting and spamming hot keys, so though I enjoyed the challenge and immersion of aim based targeting, using it would put me at a disadvantage.

After reading through the above replies from players, my interest is renewed a bit - it looks as though skill will be rewarded. I'll be checking it out after release.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by joocheese

Originally posted by skydiver12

1) This is only partially true as in only certain skills. There are enough skills which can not be dodged by simply walking in another direction.
    2) The basic longbow shot (1) of my warriors bow does HOME into you. despite bunny hopping 5 meters left. It flys a curve.
    3) Both can be "dodged" by using the skill / (doubeltap). Which really is not about "evading" but about a skill to avoid "hits" despite still standing in teh area..
    4) This is all fine and certainly "different" enough to the common themepark. But certainly no where near TERA or FPS based gameplay, and
    5) all those foul cries about "Skill" and learning to dodge are really just overhyped fanboy euphorism.
    6) GW2 combat is a nice step up from TAB based, but don't plays in the same league like TERA.

1) Why would you just walk in another direction when you can dodge? Btw, your statement makes no sense... you want to be able to dodge by just walking? That's why GW2 has the "dodge" mechanic in place.
    2) its "Dual Shot". It fires two arrows. It does not follow like wow projectiles. If you're within range and in LoS (line of sight), you'll get hit. If you're behind a wall, or any other obstruction, or dodging (like you said), then you won't get hit.
    3) So avoiding dmg is not evading dmg?
    4) Whoever told you that GW2's combat was the same as FPS and/or TERA was not being accurate
    5) A clear sign you are being impartial in your assessment no doubt. Surely you're not trolling, surely not!
    6) I guess time will tell who's not in who's league.

1) Wrong answer to a question i did not ask. I made a statement about that you can't sidestep but have to use a skill to "evade" which is not really evading at all. Hence after two times, you are bound to be hit by certain skills. (which is a response to all the "more skill is needed to play GW2" type of posts). Because there is really no difference between an Archer in FFXIV using his "evade" skill (You can't be hit for the next attack) and a GW2 player using his dodge button.
    It's button smashing a button with high cooldown.

2. LOS or OOR are true and thankfully so (i hated when they disabled OOR and LOS in Aion). But my post was specifically addressing the Dodge part in comparison to a game like TERA, so my point stands true.

3. No it's not. There is a difference when i step two feet away (and out of the aoe damage area) by simply pressing "D" button or if i'm pressing a skill called "dodge" (while still remaining in the aoe area) and not getting "hit". (Something called invicible frames in action based MMOs *hint*) but don'T worry TERA has this issue too. Slayers and Warriors "dodge" too with dodge skills.

4. & 5. no one "told" me, i've tested it myself. This was a response to what many post here.

6. It is intended as a neutral statement, i never wanted put one in a "higher" league. More like apples and fish.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Dodge roll doesn't actually dodge attacks. It makes you immune to the attack. I apcan confirm this from playing, as well as developers stating so in a interview.

From my personal experience this is not true. If I used dodge, and if I was still in the range of the melee attack or aoe circle while rolling away I would still get hit. This could be delay but It happens way too often to be that.