Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if the first TESO image you saw had been this

ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Instead of this

My answer: I would have thrown in my full support to play an MMO version of a Skyrim-like experience.  Sadly, I'm just not interested in an Elder Scrolls mmo that's just like everything else out there (I hope this isn't the case, but the leaks sure make it look that way to me.)

Comments

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

I have always preferred playing ES games in 3rd person prespective. Never liked or got used to first person view in ES games, so makes no difference to me.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Not much different really. (my reaction)

Edit: I do prefer 1st person in the elder scrolls games, but that is more due to the combat being so clunky in third. It does add to immersion as well though, when I'm in the mood for purely visiting a fantasy world.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Originally posted by Chrome1980

I have always preferred playing ES games in 3rd person prespective. Never liked or got used to first person view in ES games, so makes no difference to me.

Honestly, I do the same thing - but a first person shot would have alleviated a lot of fears that are now apparently coming true about the MMO.  Perhaps not even a first person shot, but something that helped define Skyrim (for example) but was different from a typical MMO.  

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Looks pretty similar to me. 

Besides that, graphical fidelity isn't the most importnat thing to me in Elder Scrolls games. For instance, I still play Daggerfall and Morrowind every once in a while and almost never play Oblivion (even though it was awesome).

My personal imagination of an Elder Scrolls MMORPG has been kicked in the face more than a few times from what I've seen. I was hoping for some design creativity when it came to this MMO, what we got was a firm grip onto fairly typical MMORPG tropes.

3 factions? Cool. Doesn't make sense in Elder Scrolls. RvR combat? Cool. Doesn't really fit Elder Scrolls though. Every other thing that has been released? Not cool. And doesn't really fit Elder Scrolls.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by Arawulf

Honestly, I do the same thing - but a first person shot would have alleviated a lot of fears that are now apparently coming true about the MMO.  Perhaps not even a first person shot, but something that helped define Skyrim (for example) but was different from a typical MMO.  

TESO is not your typicla MMO. If TESO is a typical MMO so is GW2 because TESO is much much closer to GW2 with its features and game mechanics.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

For an MMO which is much more social (supposedly) than a standalone rpg, that wouldn't have bothered me at all. That they seem to be aiming for another run-of-the-mill themepark is why I'll be avoiding it.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Originally posted by Arawulf

TESO is not your typicla MMO. If TESO is a typical MMO so is GW2 because TESO is much much closer to GW2 with its features and game mechanics.

I hope you're right.  My only thought was that the game would have been more positively recieved if the first images of the game would have highlighted the features of the game that weren't like a standard MMO and more like TES games they love.  Again, gamers will react negatively to anything that remotely resembles something they fear.  It's early, so it's hard to predict how it will all pan out.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

I actually saw the pictures before the leaked info and the only thing I was thinking off was that I looks generic, but I was witholding judgement because I can look past certain aesthetic choices.

While skyrim might technically be crap without mods, the aesthetic and art-design was one of the better ones I've seen in TES titles, it actually had an identity.

The screenshots on the other hand showed no such identity, but I said to myself, well Oblivion didn't have any artistic identity either so I can't really complain right?

The screenshots didn't make me averse to this game, the leaked info did.