Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is anyone else baffled???

2»

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Completely baffled. As crowded with cautionary tales as the MMO space is why would you gamble the future of a successful franchise on it? It's true MMOs can garner huge profits but the return on investment is almost always dissapointing.

That's a good point, Zymurgeist. I also wouldn't be surprised if future MMOs built off an existing franchise avoided the "MMO" label in describing their product solely to avoid unrealistic expectation and predispositions as to what the game should or shouldn't be.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

lol, I'm not expecting them to make a game for me. What I was expecting was a TES MMO not a more traditional approach with TES Lore tacked on.

Same thing. You expect Zenimax to make TES the way you expect - the game should appeal you.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by SuprGamerX

Originally posted by honoursword

I just don't get it.

From what I am hearing they are moving away from everything that made the single player game great.

I am going to keep an open mind and wait till I see more before but so far it just looks like another tank, heal and spank MMO.

Very disappointing. Is it just me?

Heh , tank , heal & spank , never tried the spanker , must be fun :P

Just you by reading all the bull people are coming up with. I mean Skyrim was released not even 6 months ago , and seeing a TESO will take a few years , the game isn't even on the drawing boards yet and people are coming up with bull of what's going to be in the game , that right there is comedy :P

Development started in 2007/2008, the game is slated for a 2013 release. The info people are spouting about what will be in and not in game is based on the leaked Gameinformer article.

Though I will say that the info we had said that there won't be any "Tanks", but no mention of the trinity itself being removed was made.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by apocoluster

but for every 1 complainer there are 100's maybe 1000's of excited gamers that ill buy and enjoy this game..I am but one

Why?

This is not made by Bethesda and it is nothing like the real Elder Scrolls games. Graphics and combat is very different.

So why are you excited and planning to buy AND enjoy the game?

Is it because the Elder Scrolls name is attached to it? Because that's exactly the reason this is getting made.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Would tha be along the lines of telling someone to stick to playing single player games?

Yes, that was my point.

If you do not like any change to your single player games, stick with playing single player games.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Kinda looking forward to this one, But please, pllllease, no Panda's.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

I just don't get it.

From what I am hearing they are moving away from everything that made the single player game great.

I am going to keep an open mind and wait till I see more before but so far it just looks like another tank, heal and spank MMO.

Just you by reading all the bull people are coming up with. I mean Skyrim was released not even 6 months ago , and seeing a TESO will take a few years , the game isn't even on the drawing boards yet and people are coming up with bull of what's going to be in the game , that right there is comedy :P

Development started in 2007/2008, the game is slated for a 2013 release. The info people are spouting about what will be in and not in game is based on the leaked Gameinformer article.

Though I will say that the info we had said that there won't be any "Tanks", but no mention of the trinity itself being removed was made.

Heh , and Diablo 3 was in Dev in 2002 , got scratched due to Blizz North move , 10 years later we're getting a D3. Alot can happen , especially with a very succesful franchise like the Elder Scrolls , they are going to take the time needed to release something that is out of this world and not some generic crap. Skyrim was amazing BUT it lacked a little touch of multiplayer 2-3 players would of been enough and awesome!  That is what I'm looking forward in TESO , but I know for a fact we won't be seeing it by 2014.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

I just don't get it.

Nope sorry. TESO still has lots of features from ES series.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

but for every 1 complainer there are 100's maybe 1000's of excited gamers that ill buy and enjoy this game..I am but one

Yeah I think it's the other way around. The people who might like it more than likely haven't heard about it for the most part. To use the vocal minority argument. Only a handful of people visit the forums/newssites. Well in that case most people will not have heard about it yet.

A lot of people think it won't feel like a Elder Scrolls game. Yes I'm one of them, because they seem to be limiting the freedom to do what you want. Freedom is what embodies the serie to me.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by thekid1

Why?

This is not made by Bethesda and it is nothing like the real Elder Scrolls games. Graphics and combat is very different.

So why are you excited and planning to buy AND enjoy the game?

Is it because the Elder Scrolls name is attached to it? Because that's exactly the reason this is getting made.

Well I can't say I'm ready to go and buy the game, but it does have my interest due to the description of mechanics and story, namely open world exploration being key to questing, three faction PVP, story based on Mannimarco The king of worms.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I just don't get it.

Heh , and Diablo 3 was in Dev in 2002 , got scratched due to Blizz North move , 10 years later we're getting a D3. Alot can happen , especially with a very succesful franchise like the Elder Scrolls , they are going to take the time needed to release something that is out of this world and not some generic crap. Skyrim was amazing BUT it lacked a little touch of multiplayer 2-3 players would of been enough and awesome!  That is what I'm looking forward in TESO , but I know for a fact we won't be seeing it by 2014.

Hey we all have opinions and you're certainly allowed yours. I was simply correcting an incorrect statement. You said it wasn't even on the drawing board yet and that people were coming up with bull about whats going to be in the game, I corrected you. Nothing more, nothing less.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I just don't get it.

It's not just you, but the entire bittervet subset of MMO gamers.

Ultima Online would have instantly tanked with this crowd. Its lack of faithfulness to the storyline and quests of the Ultima series and the virtues concept would have been seen as blasphemy and been instantly rejected. And if they announced a particular level of graphic support, engine name or any other keyword that could be latched onto, the game would have been copmplete FAIL because of that, as well... whatever it may have been.

Heh.... in fact UO did tank at launch, which won it the "Coaster of the Year" from Computer Gaming World in 1997 and touched off such bad feelings the UO team even coded in a "jwilson slime" npc referencing the current editor Johnny Wilson.

This particular type of slime was named after Johnny Wilson, the Editor of Computer Gaming World magaizine, after Mr. Wilson declared Ultima Online "Coaster of the Year" for 1997.

http://uo.stratics.com/content/misc/odd.shtml

And its true, we BitterVets™ are becoming sort of a legion, ever increasing as each year of unimaginative MMO releases cause more players to flock to the cause.

I think it's a bit too early to tell how the game will really play out, best to wait for more information before tossing our hands up in despair and writing it off the list.

Of course it is going to follow some standard MMO gaming conventions, no one will ever invest big money in anything that deviates too far from standard, just not the safe way to bet.

Well, now that's some interesting revisionist history. So since CGW gave it a bad review, it tanked? Please tell me you're joking. :)

OK, tanked was an incorrect choice of words, less than enthusiastically received at launch by the greater gaming community  due to several key flaws, specifically heavy lag issues most notable.

And no, I don't put much stock in CGW's viewpoint, they pretty much hated every MMORPG that came out in the early days until City of Heroes came along and finally changed their minds.

But anyways, getting way off track from the thread

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon