Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is anyone else baffled???

honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

I just don't get it.

From what I am hearing they are moving away from everything that made the single player game great.

I am going to keep an open mind and wait till I see more before but so far it just looks like another tank, heal and spank MMO.

Very disappointing. Is it just me?

Comments

• termsytermsy Member Posts: 100

Originally posted by honoursword

I just don't get it.

From what I am hearing they are moving away from everything that made the single player game great.

I am going to keep an open mind and wait till I see more before but so far it just looks like another tank, heal and spank MMO.

Clearly it's not just you. Have you even read the forums?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/349980/Headline-Elder-Scrolls-Online-The-most-negatively-received-reveal-in-MMORPG-history-.html

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176

Based on the other MANY posts about it on the forums, I don't think so.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

If you look all over the net you see same trend dissapointment about this new approach that not resembles TES series.

• OntblodOntblod Member UncommonPosts: 195

I just don't get it.

All those years I dreamt about this and supported the idea behind an ES MMO and

this is what we get?! No your not the only one that is baffled, we all are!

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

So, how many people are like me and thought, "I didn't want an MMO, I just wanted them to let me invite a buddy or two into the game with me"

Seriously, just make a regular ole Elder Scrolls game with the bonus of playing with even so much as a single friend and I'd buy it twice just to make up for the loss they are about to face on this project.  The Elder Scrolls does not an MMO make.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Originally posted by Gishgeron

So, how many people are like me and thought, "I didn't want an MMO, I just wanted them to let me invite a buddy or two into the game with me"

Seriously, just make a regular ole Elder Scrolls game with the bonus of playing with even so much as a single friend and I'd buy it twice just to make up for the loss they are about to face on this project.  The Elder Scrolls does not an MMO make.

^ this would have been perfect imo. Just make a stable client that supports 2 - 4 players, and I'd be really happy with that. Otherwise, I'll stick to single player ES now that I have seen what they intend to do with the mmo version.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by Mithrandolir.

^ this would have been perfect imo. Just make a stable client that supports 2 - 4 players, and I'd be really happy with that. Otherwise, I'll stick to single player ES now that I have seen what they intend to do with the mmo version.

I haven't even looked at so much as a single piece of information about TES MMO.  I already knew, 4 years ago, that such a thing would never work and, I THOUGHT, Bethesda was with me on that.  Haven't they STATED it was a terrible ideal before?  My god, it would have been a greater success to just contact Mojang and ask for a minecraft reskin with some extra items thrown in and a touch of plot over this.

I'm not even joking when I say I'd play a Mojang, voxel, version of TES in place of this affront to common sense.

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

Originally posted by Gishgeron

Originally posted by Mithrandolir.

I haven't even looked at so much as a single piece of information about TES MMO.  I already knew, 4 years ago, that such a thing would never work and, I THOUGHT, Bethesda was with me on that.  Haven't they STATED it was a terrible ideal before?  My god, it would have been a greater success to just contact Mojang and ask for a minecraft reskin with some extra items thrown in and a touch of plot over this.

I'm not even joking when I say I'd play a Mojang, voxel, version of TES in place of this affront to common sense.

The really annoying thing though is that the idea of an Elder Scrolls MMORPG isn't a terrible idea. If done correctly, capturing the spirit and game mechanics of the single player game. It would be absolutely awesome.

There was simply no need to go down this WOW clone route, they have a successful and popular game that works. They just don't need to change that. All they need is an open gaming world where people are free to do what they want, NPC's that work about and go about their business, Dark Brotherhood, Blades etc where you can do missions for them and climb up their ranks, buy your own home etc...

True, dungeons for groups would need to be added, but that us pretty much it. The rest is all their in the single player game they just need to convert that to an MMO.

I think this is more of a accountants decision than a dev one to be honest. "Let's play it safe guys and go down the WOW route, look at all the money they have, we can't lose."

My god how wrong are they going to be.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

If you look all over the net you see same trend dissapointment about this new approach that not resembles TES series.

Yeah but on the official TES forums 70% would buy the game,mmorpg.com is not the whole gaming world.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I was baffled when I read the announcement.

I was baffled when I read about the combat system.

I was baffled when I saw the screen shots.

Thank god this is NOT made by Bethesda. So the Bethesda name is not damaged to much and the single player games will be made on schedule as always.

To bad the Elders scrolls name will go down the toilet with this.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Yeah but on the official TES forums 70% would buy the game,mmorpg.com is not the whole gaming world.

Now don't be misleading lol. The poll you are reffering too actually doesn't have many voters first off and it's only about giving the game a shot.

47% said yes they would give the game a shot, the rest said no or maybe.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1372069-whos-gonna-give-this-game-a-shot/

The one that had a decent number of voters was sadly closed.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1371307-poll-how-do-you-feel-about-the-announcement/

49% are dissapointed, 29% are neutral

And that poll had significantly more voters.

All in all the official forums is a bad choice to try and find defenders of TESO. Many have different issues with TES being made into an MMO on top of many of our issues so there is even more negativity over on those forums lol.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I just don't get it.

It's not just you, but the entire bittervet subset of MMO gamers.

Ultima Online would have instantly tanked with this crowd. Its lack of faithfulness to the storyline and quests of the Ultima series and the virtues concept would have been seen as blasphemy and been instantly rejected. And if they announced a particular level of graphic support, engine name or any other keyword that could be latched onto, the game would have been copmplete FAIL because of that, as well... whatever it may have been.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I just don't get it.

Ultima Online would have instantly tanked with this crowd. Its lack of faithfulness to the storyline and quests of the Ultima series and the virtues concept would have been seen as blasphemy and been instantly rejected. And if they announced a particular level of graphic support, engine name or any other keyword that could be latched onto, the game would have been copmplete FAIL because of that, as well... whatever it may have been.

Heh.... in fact UO did tank at launch, which won it the "Coaster of the Year" from Computer Gaming World in 1997 and touched off such bad feelings the UO team even coded in a "jwilson slime" npc referencing the current editor Johnny Wilson.

This particular type of slime was named after Johnny Wilson, the Editor of Computer Gaming World magaizine, after Mr. Wilson declared Ultima Online "Coaster of the Year" for 1997.

http://uo.stratics.com/content/misc/odd.shtml

And its true, we BitterVets™ are becoming sort of a legion, ever increasing as each year of unimaginative MMO releases cause more players to flock to the cause.

I think it's a bit too early to tell how the game will really play out, best to wait for more information before tossing our hands up in despair and writing it off the list.

Of course it is going to follow some standard MMO gaming conventions, no one will ever invest big money in anything that deviates too far from standard, just not the safe way to bet.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I just don't get it.

You may have a point. If technology back then was on par with what we have today, if we had seen other games incorperate many of the features from the single player series in other MMO's before the game was even in development, and if we had seen the limitations of the chosen game engine before and knew it was a poor choice for the type of gameplay we expected, people likely would have complained as they are now.

But, then again your talking about Lore and what not which is the Only thing that TESO is staying true to it seems.

It's more than the lore that keeps me playing TES games though. It's the feel of the world, the varied races, the freedom to explore and do as I please, the freedom to be what I please, the feeling that I'm part of the world, the imersion added by the type of combat system it uses, etc.

The main reasons I play TES games have been removed for the MMO version. If I soloey cared about the lore or even cared more about the lore than the gameplay and style then I would rather read a book on it.

Why SHOULD I be interested in a TES MMO that doesn't capture that same Elder Scrolls feel?

And no it's not just the MMO Vets, its also TES fans in general many that never wanted to see a TES MMO for this exact reason. They feared it would be made into a traditional MMO that just doesn't fit with TES series.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I just don't get it.

Yep, and the first step was to make single player game into an MMO.

If you do not like things being removed from single play games, stick with single player games then.

Get it now?

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Why SHOULD I be interested in a TES MMO that doesn't capture that same Elder Scrolls feel?

You "should not". However it may seem unreal and unbelievable, game developers are not obliged to make games for you specifically.

No game is for everyone but there must not be a game for every each one either...

Originally posted by Gdemami

I just don't get it.

Yep, and the first step was to make single player game into an MMO.

If you do not like things being removed from single play games, stick with single player games then.

Get it now?

If you can't translate a single player game into an MMO well, then stick with making single player games.

Is that what you meant?

I hope so, because otherwise it sounds like your saying the only way to take a single player game and turn it into a MMO version is to butcher it. Thats simply a sad outlook on MMO's.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

but for every 1 complainer there are 100's maybe 1000's of excited gamers that ill buy and enjoy this game..I am but one

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I'm not baffled.  It was very predictable if you think about it, based on where the genre has been going.  I think the fact that such lack of imagination and loyalty to the fanbase is so blatant took many by surprise. I don't know why though.  I guess it's like one of those wierd situations where you knew something all along about someone and then someone tells you what you already know and you are like, "What ?  Oh my God no way!"

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

I just don't get it.

No need to be baffled, my friend. Its simply called:     Extending the franchise    in any possible respect.

This is always a very bad sign for quality. Every veteran, ever player MMO and Singleplayer-vise with a bit of gaming-knowledge knows, that this game and games like this, have no future. This also extends to similar business-models.

If you can't translate a single player game into an MMO well, then stick with making single player games.

No, that is not what I said.

You want to tell what others should do with their money? Is that what you mean?

You "should not". However it may seem unreal and unbelievable, game developers are not obliged to make games for you specifically.

No game is for everyone but there must not be a game for every each one either...

lol, I'm not expecting them to make a game for me. What I was expecting was a TES MMO not a more traditional approach with TES Lore tacked on.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Kyleran

I just don't get it.

Heh.... in fact UO did tank at launch, which won it the "Coaster of the Year" from Computer Gaming World in 1997 and touched off such bad feelings the UO team even coded in a "jwilson slime" npc referencing the current editor Johnny Wilson.

This particular type of slime was named after Johnny Wilson, the Editor of Computer Gaming World magaizine, after Mr. Wilson declared Ultima Online "Coaster of the Year" for 1997.

http://uo.stratics.com/content/misc/odd.shtml

And its true, we BitterVets™ are becoming sort of a legion, ever increasing as each year of unimaginative MMO releases cause more players to flock to the cause.

I think it's a bit too early to tell how the game will really play out, best to wait for more information before tossing our hands up in despair and writing it off the list.

Of course it is going to follow some standard MMO gaming conventions, no one will ever invest big money in anything that deviates too far from standard, just not the safe way to bet.

Well, now that's some interesting revisionist history. So since CGW gave it a bad review, it tanked? Please tell me you're joking. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

I just don't get it.

Heh , tank , heal & spank , never tried the spanker , must be fun :P

Just you by reading all the bull people are coming up with. I mean Skyrim was released not even 6 months ago , and seeing a TESO will take a few years , the game isn't even on the drawing boards yet and people are coming up with bull of what's going to be in the game , that right there is comedy :P

No, that is not what I said.

You want to tell what others should do with their money? Is that what you mean?

Would tha be along the lines of telling someone to stick to playing single player games?

And we've come full circle.

In any case it's obvious that you like the info out there and it's obvious I do not. Since it doesn't seem likely that any kind of constuftive debate or discussion will happen between the two of us I will bow out :)