Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is Tab Targeting, not Aim based like a TPS/FPS

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Some people I am sure, are turned off from GW2 because all the misleading rumors about the gameplay being aim based.. But it isn't. It's tab target, with unique hit detection mechanic. Attacks still homing attacks like a tab target. Aiming the camera will not aim the attack.

Around 3:00 you can see what I mean if you want visual proof. I know some fans will come in and not care, but many people are not as informed as you are, and believe the game uses aiming combat like MO or something, which it doesn't.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

Noone claimed that gw2 is aim based, but attack and projectiles are not homing like you said. They aim automatically at the current location of the target but if you are mobile at that moment or perform a dodge roll, the projectile will not follow you and so you can evade it.

For example in World of Warcraft, projectiles follow you, arrows bend their course to hit, that is homing.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

It's actually partially non-tab based. Yes, you can tab target and you will attack in the direction of the mob/person you have targetted but:

- many attacks have arc and can be done without targetting anyone, which means you can run into group and spam your wide attack to hit several people at once without targetting any of them. 

- ranged attack have defined range and it won't autorun you into range, you can also shoot them without targetting anyone and still hit people 

- you can dodge away from both physical attacks as well as projectiles 

- there is also a lot of ground targetted attacks even for melee characters that you will have to aim to hit somoene.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Tip: In YouTube under the video, if you click on Share, Options, Start link at <>, you can always link to the part in the video you're referring to.

• 1carcarah11carcarah1 Member Posts: 172

You can also protect someone else of projectiles just by standing in the way of it.

And btw, the skill number 2 of the Guardian's staff can only be aimed.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Butregenyo

Noone claimed that gw2 is aim based, but attack and projectiles are not homing like you said. They aim automatically at the current location of the target but if you are mobile at that moment or perform a dodge roll, the projectile will not follow you and so you can evade it.
    For example in World of Warcraft, projectiles follow you, arrows bend their course to hit, that is homing.

Dodge roll doesn't actually dodge attacks. It makes you immune to the attack. I apcan confirm this from playing, as well as developers stating so in a interview.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

This ^

No one is claiming 'aim based' in the TERA sense of the word. There was never said to be a crosshair. However, the way tab-targetting works in this game is very much different from other games. The aiming in this game fits somewhere in between a traditional tab - targetting system, and a cross-hair driven system. You can aim attacks with the camera, however if you have a target selected it will auto-aim the attacks in the direction of where your target was standing when the ability was used. If that target sprints off, or teleports, the projectile won't adjust to hit them, it will miss.

There are certain skills that are exceptions to this, most of which are melee (and in TERA it works the same way, Y axis aiming doesn't matter for melee, it's purely horizontal aiming for non-ranged skills). And basically, these are certain skills that are designed to seak out the target (ie serpent's sting rolls around and 'aims' at a nearby target.)

It's not an FPS, but I don't really see anyone who is confused by that.

• alf2oooalf2ooo Member UncommonPosts: 139

Trying too hard, none ever claimed it to be aim based.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Dodge roll doesn't actually dodge attacks. It makes you immune to the attack. I apcan confirm this from playing, as well as developers stating so in a interview.

It can do both, actually. Works exactly the same was as it does in TERA, except you have a much shorter window of immunity.

For example, if you are at a distance, and someone fires an arrow at you, and you dodge sideways. Even if you don't time it perfectly, you will still not get hit. The closer you are to the attack, the more timing becomes a factor, and the more that immunity starts to be the deciding factor. However, if you dodge into an attack, you can still get hit.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

. Attacks still homing attacks like a tab target. 

hate to reply to a thread by this person, but in case anyone read this part and is confused.  this, for the most part is misinformation.  I saw no homing attacks, and if there are any ranged "homing" attacks they are few in number.

this of course assumes a definition of "homing" where projectiles change their course in flight to correct for movements in their target.

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Some people I am sure, are turned off from GW2 because all the misleading rumors about the gameplay being aim based.. But it isn't. It's tab target, with unique hit detection mechanic. Attacks still homing attacks like a tab target. Aiming the camera will not aim the attack.

Around 3:00 you can see what I mean if you want visual proof. I know some fans will come in and not care, but many people are not as informed as you are, and believe the game uses aiming combat like MO or something, which it doesn't.

Its hard to see something in that video, watch this one and ill explain what are you seeing:

http://youtu.be/UN9EHqY8yPo?t=2m17s

There you see the Ele ( me ) having a target and hiting OTHER guy who is NOT on his target, then cast an skill which is TARGET LOCKED and it hits the player on his TARGET.

So what we have here is an hybrid of the target system, which in fact is very similar to the Tera one's in which we have skills that are also target locked and skills that are not, exactly like GW2, the difference beetwen them is the aim reticle which you dont have in GW2 but is there and then the second difference is the autoaim that GW2 have once you select a target.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Aiming the camera aims the attack, whilst NOT aiming the camera does not aim the attack and allows you to auto target. First-hand experience because I failed to land an attack on a strafing target because I was aiming the camera.

Secondly some attacks will home in on the target but they can dodge it regardless.

This is not a game.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I wonder where misleading rumors might come from, or even the invention of rumors that aren't really rumors or controversies that aren't really controversies?

BTW, I tested targeting in GW2. Yes, there is tab targeting, no one ever said their wasn't. The game also has auto-targeting, which you can turn off in options. With Auto-targeting turned off, if you don't manually select a target with your cursor or via tab targeting, the facing of your character determines the path of your attack. Target or no target, you can and will still hit things in the path of your attack, targeted or not.

If you never want to tab target and also don't want the game to automatically lock onto a target for you, but rather prefer to target based on character facing, just turn off auto-targeting and avoid or unbind your tab targeting.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• mearimeari Member Posts: 101

Seriously, the only one spreading mis-information is you. Having a target selected only aims your attack in their direction, it does not home, this is very clear if you've done any underwater combat where projectiles often miss because they travel so slow.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

I think a lot of people know that this game isn't aim combat, but some of the AoE attacks will only hit enemy targets infront of you so you need to use your enemy as a pivot point and judge how many enemies you will hit. For example there's a off-hand mace move for the warrior where you smash the ground and it creates an AoE line that causes all enemies within the rumbling to get knocked down. The line heads in the direction of where the enemy was currently standing at the time of the cast, but it will also move all the way too a certain distance. To hit as many targets as you can you need to try to move your character around your enemy to aim the direction of the AoE.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Originally posted by Quenchster

I think a lot of people know that this game isn't aim combat, but some of the AoE attacks will only hit enemy targets infront of you so you need to use your enemy as a pivot point and judge how many enemies you will hit. For example there's a off-hand mace move for the warrior where you smash the ground and it creates an AoE line that causes all enemies within the rumbling to get knocked down. The line heads in the direction of where the enemy was currently standing at the time of the cast, but it will also move all the way too a certain distance. To hit as many targets as you can you need to try to move your character around your enemy to hit as many enemies as you can.

you bring up some excellent points here in that AOE attacks only hit those who are within the marked area of the spell.  if someone is dodge-rolling out of the AOE when it is cast or moving quickly so that by the time the effect comes into play they are no longer standing in it it WILL MISS.

i know this topic also is a bit controversial and there has been much heated debate over exactly how this works but i hope now we can put this behind us and move forward with this new knowledge.  you may quote me here OP and add this to the main post if you like to stave off any future AOE targetting and AOE cast speed controversy.

video evidence herein: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zNAITjKJusw

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

So whats your problem i wonder?... what you wanne proof here?

Its bit of both and it works for me, who cares what other games have i like combat in GW2 if you dont like it don't play it simple as that.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

[mod edit]

Anyway to the point you do relise tera projectiles are what you calling homing atleast for mystic spell are. All you need to do is have cross hairs sitting on the mob when you shoot after that it garanteed to hit because it will follow the mob until it hits it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDVYKmXcc3k 10 seconds in when he shoot the mob running past him the spell just homes in on it. Also shows how dull combat realy is the mobs provide no realy challange and you see people soloing the elites mob for fun.

• SchuMidasSchuMidas Member CommonPosts: 8

its genre-ed MMORPG

not ActionMMO

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

2 minute 8 seconds in you also notice a spell misses because he wasnt facing a person dispite having somone targeted.

• ictownictown Member Posts: 123

Someone who claimed to play GW2 beta weekend and asking this silly question, obviously should know the answer, why do you even bother.

I've played the betaweekend as well and guess what....you don't have to use the tab button. If you circle strafe and dodge, guess what, the opponent's attack miss. in addition, you don't have to tab target enemies, you can just go near an enemy and use your skills.

No one but you from what I've seen claimed GW2 is all aim based. Everyone else has been saying you can either tab or just aim or basically hybrid mix of tab//aim which the dev have said. It's not a true aim like fps which aparently some  people claim it to be

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Member Posts: 371

It may be tab target but you can still dodge the skills. Either by using the dodge functionality or by simply moving out of the way, lol.

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

It's not aim-based...but it's also not strictly tab-target. There's an option in the settings to promote ability targets to full targets... you can hit anything in front of you with your swings and spells, and automatically target them if you choose.

I very rarely hit the tab key the entire weekend, unless I was attempting to choose a specific target from among several who were close to each other. Otherwise, I simply started hitting mobs with abilities, and it automatically targeted them.

The other nice thing is that big swings with greatswords and the like can hit multiple targets even when you don't have one targeted. Anybody who gets in the way of the swing will take damage.

The "soft target" system seems to operate based on what's in front of you, and on distance. Simply looking in the direction of a mob will show you the HP bar over their head, and if you fire an ability, it will hit that mob, and promote them to full target.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

At 3:00 I saw someone get killed. Then shortly afterwards I saw someone shooting fireballs at the place where someone should be, but was getting intercepted by some cover.

Where was the homing missiles? If anything is misleading, it is this thread.

Yes, if you have a target you will aim your attacks at them. No they are not homing missiles. Yes you can aim for yourself if you choose to. Its called options, deal with it.

I saw far more homing missiles in TERA than I ever did in GW2, dispite all its claims of 'action combat'.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

From my experience I can tell that it's semi-auto aiming cause:

- I never used the tab except of once near the end of the beta only to test how it would work.

- Turned my character towards a enemy and attacked while in range, the enemy got hit as long as it didn't dodge or blocked/countered my attack.

- When I turned to a other direction and positioned myself towards a other enemy, my arrows went towards my new target instead of having arrows move behind my back to hit my old target or giving me a message that my target is blocked only because I wasn't facing its direction.

- What others said about homing attacks it's true! If one dodges in time or gets behind a obtacle they won't hit like in other mmos that would just move through a rock, mountain or whatever else only to hit you.

This wasn't only tested by many but it also was shown in videos in cases in which a pet run into the attack that was aimed to the player so the pet took the hit instead because it went in front of its master, saving him from taking damage.

Tab targetting is there but you don't need it cause the auto lock system jumps in if you "aim" a new target.

Tab targetting is probably useful in worldvsworldvsworld pvp I guess when you have single target skills you wanna use instead of area attacks. In PvE I never needed it cause I auto locked to my new target after I aimed/turned towards it and used a skill.

If two targets are exactly next to each other, the auto lock might not work and you might need to change your target by clicking on it or per tab but as long as a small distance between two targets exists you can "aim" for the next one and the auto lock feature will kick in and change your target.

• Riker99Riker99 Member Posts: 70

Projectiles will hit things in the way between you and your target. For example, I was shooting at a Skale who ran behind some Moa birds. I shot the birds and they were pretty angry about it. That battle ended with me running away from a pack of angry Moas and one Skale.