Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My BIg Question- D3 and PoE

1235»

Comments

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Originally posted by Banquetto

Originally posted by ArChWind

http://www.diablo3demo.com/gameplay-potions.html

According to archive.org, that bit about "Gems, Jewels and Runes will be available in Diablo3" was written on that page in 2008. (link)

I wouldn't rely on it as evidence that what has been publicly announced by Blizzard is missing major elements of gameplay, sadly.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/2624878224

Ok here we go. read the features

Add Sockets

Shen can etch a socket into shields, helms, belts, or pants, enabling nearly any piece of equipment to reap the benefits of gems. Taken directly for the site.

If you can etch sockets into these items then there has to be something to put in the item. All gems listed are helm and weapon.

Quote from a blue in that link specifically said :

It's actually possible to craft a socketed item in the current version of the Beta.

Yes, gems will be available in the final version of the game, but not in the Beta, just like runes

Maybe this is the big surprise?

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220

Originally posted by Starpower

Originally posted by IrishChai

Originally posted by Starpower

The only difference between D2 and PoE is updated graphics minus the UI

Ok, that's just ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kucFP3wN3Eo

I see no difference. Characters are better drawn and animated so are the mobs. The game is of a higher resolution vs a game that is over 10 years old and can only run in 1200x800 but it's basically the same game. two balls representing mana and health, the potions, the inventory not just the design but down to the very looks of it. It's not only similar in a "this is a arpg inventory thingy" it's a copy paste. Same goes for the combat and the loot

I find it funny that half the people supporting PoE rant and rave about innovation in the game genre.  This is a carbon copy of D2 with better graphics.

Yes I played SWTOR.

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by Hauvarn

*qoutes*

I find it funny that half the people supporting PoE rant and rave about innovation in the game genre.  This is a carbon copy of D2 with better graphics.

It's pretty simple really. You have a group of fans that pretty much think that the talent trees system is the pinacle of customization in these games. Diablo 3 won't satisfy them, so they turn to PoE and Torchlight 2. Ofcourse there are inprovements in the system, like the ability gemming (I believe, I'm not the most qualified person here to talk about it) and the passive skilltree. Though both can't be called innovative and nobody called them that I think.

In short, Diablo 3 is just that, the next entry in the Diablo series. No, it's not like Diablo 2, but gameplay wise there are a lot of improvements to the action-rpg/dungeon crawler formula. PoE is more like Diablo 2 I guess, in a new graphical jacket and a bunch of improvements to the old Diablo 2 system.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Being in the beta for both games, here's my gripe about PoE. They seem to have over-complicated things for the sake of over-complicationg things. The skill tree for example, while it's nice (I suppose) to have a billion options, at some point it's just too much and not every players wants to spend 12 hours researching talent trees and builds. I also think the bartering system.... umm... well it sucks and once again, it's un-neccesarily complicated. While I appreciate wanting to try something different, I don't beleive it works all that well.

Diablo was never a incredibly deep over complex system. And that's one of the many charms about the series. I didn't feel like I had to invest hours into researching a build (although I could if I needed to). PoE is a decent game but let's not kiid ourselves. It's no Diablo 3.