Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Tera Rocks.

lath456lath456 Member Posts: 92

1) This game plays like a hybrid hack'n'slash with its roots from MMORPGs.  Combat is fast, fluid, and you don't spend 20-30 seconds between fights regenerating health/mana. The only issue is in some dungeons when you stop to regen stamina at a campfire.

2) Quests/zones go by quickly.  No more spending 6+ hours in a zone you hate, grinding away quests as fast as you can just so you can get out of the zone asap (no Hoth snowblindness).

3) Instant cast mounts.  Look, I'm running, *ZAP* now, I'm riding!  Sorry, this is just cool.

4) Mounts at level 11. For FREE.

5) Cross-server lfg tool.

6) Loot can be set to round-robin and is automatically rolled on and distributed (regardless of who looted it).  Higher quality items are limited by who can use.  No more idiot warriors/hunters/paladins rolling on cloth (THANK YOU).

7) Dungeons / exp.  Not only are the BAMs cool, but you can skip a fair amount of the solo grind by repeating the dungeon quests.

8) Server population is NOT SPLIT BETWEEN TWO FACTIONS.  Yes, you get to play with EVERYONE.   No more discovering that you spent 3 weeks levelling up only to find that the particular faction you chose on your particular server is DEAD at end game.   About. Freaking. Time.

9) Zones are not endless streches of empty land, traveling is very minimal (compared to sw:tor quests -- where I'd estimate about 60% of the time it took me to level from 1-50 was spent ... riding my speeder from point A, to point B, and back to point A).

10) Too many quests.  No more, "we'll give you JUST ENOUGH quests to level up, be sure to do EVERY SINGLE ONE, OR ELSE".

11) Big negative:  Severe tank shortages.  =(  IF you like tanking, come to Tera.  NOW.

====

I hope En Masse doesn't make endgame revolve entirely around raiding... tanks are in short supply - hopefully the summer update will make warriors better tanks and we'll have more tanks for groups.  When you have people (like me) who enjoy 5 man content, and you make end game all about raiding (situations where you need 1-2 tanks in a group of 20), you are absolutely DESTROYING the class/role balance of the game.

-From the perspective of a 33 priest / 24 lancer.

Comments

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

negative: farm farm farm and more farm

quests kill x of y

end game... intence grinding

i will stop here cause despite of its negatives i like and i play tera

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

I havent played Tera, but it sounds like its a very casual game. 

I been asking for a review on crafting, but havent heard anything. Is the crafting very basic? 

• goofy3kgoofy3k Member UncommonPosts: 250

Have to agree with you. The enviroments are amazing too, as well as the art style and fluid animations, not to mention how cool the mobs are. Luckily I'm playing as a lancer and have only waited a few seconds while using the lfg matchmaker. I am enjoying it however just wondering what the pvp is going to be like, I'm playing on a pvp server where I was under the assumption I could attack or be attacked at any time, but it seems you have to flag yourself for pvp. 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

I agree with everything you said except the quests being just enough to level up, I ended up skipping quite a few quests in certain areas just to continue into another with story quests so I wasn't too high for the zone. Actually two things I disagree with, the second being the HP/MP regen. There is a point I'm at (currently level 38 as a berserker) where if I do not have HP regen crystals in my armor, I have to wait at the end of every fight, or use bandages to heal up after every fight. I know I like the cross server LFG tool but they need to fix it to allow warriors to queue as tanks since they were designed to be either dps or a tank class, and they can't queue as a tank. Also mystics with healing too, they are a multi use class and healing is one of their uses why can't they queue as a healer?

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

quests kill x of y

When will people learn that mmorpgs ARE mmorpgs.  Quests/farming/grinding are all part of the equation.

Why do people who see this as unfun and a negative even play these games?

Hoping for a RTS game or a side scroller action game to pop up in a game titled "mmoRPG"??

Every time i see a post like this i facepalm over the fact that people playing mmoRPG's dislike the RPG part when there are so many viable options that dont include any of these negative.

All i gotta say is that developers have a lot of gamers by the balls, these people are apparently paying to play a game they dont enjoy, but cant seem to stop paying and playing them...its amazing.

Luckily i like the RPG's, dont mind any part of it.  I like this game for the diffrent combat.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Originally posted by Crunchy221

Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

quests kill x of y

When will people learn that mmorpgs ARE mmorpgs.  Quests/farming/grinding are all part of the equation.

Why do people who see this as unfun and a negative even play these games?

Hoping for a RTS game or a side scroller action game to pop up in a game titled "mmoRPG"??

Every time i see a post like this i facepalm over the fact that people playing mmoRPG's dislike the RPG part when there are so many viable options that dont include any of these negative.

All i gotta say is that developers have a lot of gamers by the balls, these people are apparently paying to play a game they dont enjoy, but cant seem to stop paying and playing them...its amazing.

Luckily i like the RPG's, dont mind any part of it.  I like this game for the diffrent combat.

I do understand both sides of the coin. There isn't much you can do to remove the common quests in MMORPG's, but at the same time games have tried to remove the tedium, introducing quests that aren't common kill this collect this quests. Examples would be Runescape has quests that are entirely just solving puzzles (not all the quests but some of them) and are really lengthy and somewhat fun. Also WoW has a few quests that are different from the norm, race little cars, or go scout an area with an orb, there are quite a few quests that are different so I can't really remember a lot off the top of my head. I'm not complaining about grinding quests though, I love Tera, and grinding in MMO's so I guess I'm happy either way. It would be nice to see different quests occasionally though I guess.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by lath456

1) This game plays like a hybrid hack'n'slash with its roots from MMORPGs.  Combat is fast, fluid, and you don't spend 20-30 seconds between fights regenerating health/mana. The only issue is in some dungeons when you stop to regen stamina at a campfire.

I found that the combat was better in GW2 over tera, the combat was fast paced, fluid and there wasnt any downtime after a fight cause once you went out of combat you regen your hp in a flash, Combat was also a great deal more challenging than tera because the mobs just hit harder and you had to advoid the attacks. Note this might of been because  i was playing a mystic where i was locked in place for ever spell to complete the animation, i didnt have the same issue when playing the elementalsit in GW2. There was very few skill that locked you in place but they were the more devestating skill so other players had a chance to dodge or interupt.

2) Quests/zones go by quickly.  No more spending 6+ hours in a zone you hate, grinding away quests as fast as you can just so you can get out of the zone asap (no Hoth snowblindness).

I prefered the questing in GW2 because the dynamic event were a great change of pace, so sick of the tradition questing. Also once you get to the lvl 15 area the dynamic events start to change the area around them weather you failed or succeded  so im wondering what it would be like at max level. Zones are much larger however i didnt get sick of any of the zones because they were so dam immersive and varied quite a bit, with so many places to explore and hidden treasures.

3) Instant cast mounts.  Look, I'm running, *ZAP* now, I'm riding!  Sorry, this is just cool.

There isnt any mounts in GW2 but they have a waypoint system where you can teleport to once you discovered them, way point can also be locked out if you loose a camp through dynamic events and vice versa. Mounts are alright however i find it courses issues in PvP especialy if there inctant cast because one you get out of combat you could just run away and they couldnt catch up, my mystic in tera beta had a sleep spell that i could cast on a player and just mount up and run away if i couldnt kill them.

Mounts have there positives and negatives.

4) Mounts at level 11. For FREE.

As above i guess

5) Cross-server lfg tool.

I dont think this was working when ni was playing the tera beta so cant comment realy, Its a good thing in a tank/dps/heal game like tera, although there always shortages of either tank or healers so it doesnt solve that issue.

6) Loot can be set to round-robin and is automatically rolled on and distributed (regardless of who looted it).  Higher quality items are limited by who can use.  No more idiot warriors/hunters/paladins rolling on cloth (THANK YOU).

Yeah this is a good thing, but i think GW2 took it up to the next lvl being that all loot is player based, this means when you kill a boss each of your party member gets there own set of loot this way no one is fighting for loot (just like Diablo 3 if you played that beta in muitiplayer)

7) Dungeons / exp.  Not only are the BAMs cool, but you can skip a fair amount of the solo grind by repeating the dungeon quests.

Didnt get to try a dunguen in GW 2 so cant compare them, however i can comment on tera dungeons, tera has done a better job with there dungeons than the game before it although GW dungeons look like they will be more entertaining based on watching some videos but i havanr done a GW 2 dungeon yet so thats just speculation.

8) Server population is NOT SPLIT BETWEEN TWO FACTIONS.  Yes, you get to play with EVERYONE.   No more discovering that you spent 3 weeks levelling up only to find that the particular faction you chose on your particular server is DEAD at end game.   About. Freaking. Time.

Same as GW2 here, if you go into pvp though world vs world, Its a battle between 3 servers instead of the usual 2 sided match and each server has it ranking so it gets paired up with other servers with roughtly the same rank.

9) Zones are not endless streches of empty land, traveling is very minimal (compared to sw:tor quests -- where I'd estimate about 60% of the time it took me to level from 1-50 was spent ... riding my speeder from point A, to point B, and back to point A).

Tera zones are often smaller without much wasted space.

GW2 zones are large but isnt any wasted space either

So it realy comes down to do ytou prefer smaller area or large areas.

10) Too many quests.  No more, "we'll give you JUST ENOUGH quests to level up, be sure to do EVERY SINGLE ONE, OR ELSE".

Cant realy compare the games here since they both take different methods of questing although i do prefer the dynamic events over the tradition quests but im sure other people think differently.

11) Big negative:  Severe tank shortages.  =(  IF you like tanking, come to Tera.  NOW.

Its always an issue in tank/dps/healer games your either missing healer or missing tanks on my server during beta it was healer we were lacking.

In GW2 you wont have this issue since it isnt a tank/dps/healing game.

====

I hope En Masse doesn't make endgame revolve entirely around raiding... tanks are in short supply - hopefully the summer update will make warriors better tanks and we'll have more tanks for groups.  When you have people (like me) who enjoy 5 man content, and you make end game all about raiding (situations where you need 1-2 tanks in a group of 20), you are absolutely DESTROYING the class/role balance of the game.

-From the perspective of a 33 priest / 24 lancer.

Now dont hate me for doing this but im gonna compare these to GW 2. From my experiences of both beta events. Answeres in red. Not that i played a mystic in tera beta and a elementalist and ranger in GW 2 beta.

Wait im confused.. so you said why you like the game and all the other guy could do was compare it to GW2? I havent played both but come on. Why not compare it to Rift or TOR.

Or not compare it to another game at all.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by snoop101

Wait im confused.. so you said why you like the game and all the other guy could do was compare it to GW2? I havent played both but come on. Why not compare it to Rift or TOR.

I didnt play TOR and i didnt compare it to rift because that game is much older and i wanted to make comparison to another up coming game that i had the experience to play.

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

The game is not worth the monthly feed.

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.

Originally posted by sanshi44

I didnt play TOR and i didnt compare it to rift because that game is much older and i wanted to make comparison to another up coming game that i had the experience to play.

Well the thing about MMO's is that new isnt always better.. LOTRO, EVE, EQ, VG, shit even WOW is still good for todays games.. 

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

Because GW2 will compare everything to their savior.

Animation lock in TERA = clunky combat.

Ice skating in GW2 = fluid combat.

Having free mounts in TERA = useless GW2 has waypoints so lack of mounts isn't valid flaw.

It will always be summed up as GW2 is better.  The unrealistic hype that game has is sickening.

Playing TERA because it's basically MH online and therefore, pure awesome.  GW2 is the same old generic  MMO combat with the option to cast spells out of range and a troll roll function.  Those two features hardly  make it  anything remotely close to an action game. Just my opinion of course.  I'm sure the  hundreds of thousands  of people that bought the game, full price, no refunds, would disagree.

To be honest I dont think the OP was trying to start a "which MMO is better" thread. I think he just wanted to say why he thought it rocked. 

I liked what he posted, but would like to hear more about the other things in the game other then combat..

Crafting, raiding, instances, sound.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Originally posted by Anzie

Why?

Just not worth my time anymore.

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

Why?

I only played the beta to 20 I think that was the max. And on those 20 level there was nothing special about the game beside doing quests and killing the same stuff. The combat was fun beside that not much going on. People say the game pick up at 40 but I won't pay to find outt.

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

Why?

Well i think the same after playing guild wars 2, why would i pay sub for a game when i can play a better one without a sub. I am playing tera right now. I am playing it as a placeholder till guild wars 2 but diablo 3 may take its place, so the 37 days comes with it might be it.

after gw2 launchs i dont think i will play mmos wit subs anymore (not f2p as well)

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

TERA - Most fun I've had with an MMO in years. It really comes into its own in the low to mid 20's. Well, for me it did anyways. My warrior just hit 40 and I'm still cruising right along. Very solid game, and easily worth the $15 for me. Sub model for the win!

Joined - July 2004

• CoffeeManCoffeeMan Member Posts: 17

I just wanted to post this but didn't want to make a new thread.  I hope someone on the fence for this game reads it.  Tera brings me back to 2002 when WOW first came out.  That was my first mmo and the excitement hit me everday for months.  This is how Tera feels so far to me.  Everything seems new, but similar.  Specificly the combat is amazing. 

My previouse mmo's have been WOW, WAR, and SWOTR.  Not a hardcore mmo gamer's list but a casual player who sometimes plays 5 hours a day.  The best times I had in these games were PvP.  I rarely do PvE except for questing.  Already Tera's first dungeon BOL has blown my mind.  The comabt is so satisfying and interative.  I actually feel like I'm playing a video game.  Sometimes playing WOW it didn't feel like other games.  It was borderline a job.  With tera just the fact you have to aim attacks makes it seem like an actual game and like you have ultimate control. 

And btw the graphics are worth the price alone.  Some of the sights I've seen in game are amazing.  Things I've never seen before or could imagine.

I just want to say if your an MMO fan and want to try something new this game feels like a breath of fresh air.  I'm only level 24 but I thought 1-50 in SWOTR was awesome, already at 24 Tera is a lot better than SWOTR.  I honestly thought 1-10 was better than SWOTR 1-50.  SWOTR was fun but I forgot what it felt like to wake up and want to play a game, the last time I had that was when WAR first came out and when WOW first came out.  Tera is amazing.

People asked about crafting, I'm still trying to figure it out but from what I can tell everyone can do everything it just depends what you want to focus on (like skyrim).  Herbs and rocks are all over the place and when you gather one it gives you a lil buff.  The game is very polished and doesn't lag at all!  Very happy my friend told me about htis one.

• HeavyTrafficHeavyTraffic Member Posts: 54

I agree with the OP and would just like to really pounce on the instant mount.  I know it seems like a small thing but after waiting for mounting animations in every other MMORPG I've ever played it is just a freakin' BLAST to instantly mount.  You are running along and hit your mount hotkey (yes, while you're running) and ZAP, you're mounted.

This is just one of the things a like about the game.  It's no biggy, but it's fun.

I'm not saying this game is for everyone, no game is, but it's the closest I've come since the launch of WoW to feeling totally immersed in a world.

It is what it is.  I like it.  Other's do not.  I wouldn't hesitate recommending it, however.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by goofy3k

I'm playing on a pvp server where I was under the assumption I could attack or be attacked at any time, but it seems you have to flag yourself for pvp. 

No, you can be attacked at anytime on a PvP server.