Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just too many things that just don't add up. IMO

ilovespoonsilovespoons Member UncommonPosts: 46

From what I've been reading I just can't understand some of these things..

No Housing? Its too hard? What? EQ1-2 been doing it for years just fine.

No FPS/Real time combat? Because of Latency? It can't work in a MMO? I remember running PlanetSide back in 2003-04 on 56k/DSL, with well over "100vs100" bridge battles and doing just fine. Do I really need to list all the MMO's that use real time combat/FPS?

"Ebonheart Pact: The Nords, Dunmer, and Argoninans" is a faction? What? Even 1000 years back, This is like when Blizzard was like hey, Taurens can be Paladins now. Lets not rewrite lore everytime an mmo comes out please.

Can't be imperials because they are a at war with all 3 factions/allying up with the evil King of Worms and Mannimarco!? Sign me up please, I don't want to be part of these "factions". I'll take the Shadowbane/UO(many other ffa pvp games) road anyday over DAOC. 

"Recreateing the freedom Elder Scrolls players expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics Zenimax Online is using for this MMO would be impossible without changing the way that players interact with the world." This in my opinion pretty much tells me no stealing, no full loot or even at the least bag loot, along with so many other things. Maybe I'm reading to much into this one but that what I see at least. 

With any other IP/MMO, it is what it is, but this is TES. Come on the blueprint is right in front of your face on what should of been done. This is just a small list of things that make me a sadface.

When I seen a few screenshots they really didn't bug me. I like that art style anyways, but when I started to google it up and do some reading I started to get a feeling that my stomach was eating itself from the inside out. In the end I hope half of the is false and I'm just being trolled. That evil false hope...

Last I like to add that this is just my opinion, think, feel or you like whatever you want to call it (crying, nerd rage) not everyone who loves or hates TES, MMOs.. Its MINE.

Yep.....

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by ilovespoons

No FPS/Real time combat? Because of Latency? It can't work in a MMO? I remember running PlanetSide back in 2003-04 on 56k/DSL, with well over "100vs100" bridge battles and doing just fine. Do I really need to list all the MMO's that use real time combat/FPS?

"Ebonheart Pact: The Nords, Dunmer, and Argoninans" is a faction? What? Even 1000 years back, This is like when Blizzard was like hey, Taurens can be Paladins now. Lets not rewrite lore everytime an mmo comes out please.

Can't be imperials because they are a at war with all 3 factions/allying up with the evil King of Worms and Mannimarco!? Sign me up please, I don't want to be part of these "factions". I'll take the Shadowbane/UO(many other ffa pvp games) road anyday over DAOC. 

"Recreateing the freedom Elder Scrolls players expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics Zenimax Online is using for this MMO would be impossible without changing the way that players interact with the world." This in my opinion pretty much tells me no stealing, no full loot or even at the least bag loot, along with so many other things. Maybe I'm reading to much into this one but that what I see at least. 

With any other IP/MMO, it is what it is, but this is TES. Come on the blueprint is right in front of your face on what should of been done. This is just a small list of things that make me a sadface.

When I seen a few screenshots they really didn't bug me. I like that art style anyways, but when I started to google it up and do some reading I started to get a feeling that my stomach was eating itself from the inside out. In the end I hope half of the is false and I'm just being trolled. That evil false hope...

Last I like to add that this is just my opinion, think, feel or you like whatever you want to call it (crying, nerd rage) not everyone who loves or hates TES, MMOs.. Its MINE.

Yep.....

they also clearly havent heard of or never played Darkfall which does the following

player housing, clan controlled holdings, seiges with 100+ open ended battle fields happening anywhere, all in FPS combat and NOT FPS 'style' combat I might add, no, the real deal, craftable ships which can then have many people on them in an open world format, oh and no instances.

Now in all fairness each server can only hold 10,000 people at one time but with that said that might be the population size ESO is looking at given the direction they are going

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Clearly the ball got dropped on this one. Like I said in another post, they will "wow" you with some new gimmick or two thrown in to get you to buy and try so they can make their money back right quick. They've likely already realized their mistake. I bet you the suits got sweat beading on their brows for the next however long until release and will sigh with relief if they get their money back from those of us stupid enough to fall for it..again. Won't be me.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

its a relatively easy thing to plug in later, its not like most players go "that mmo has housing, thats top of my list now"

its hard to get action combat right - darkfall and mortal online are buggy, tera doesn't work imo, planetside was ahead of its time and laggy.  Planetside 2 might be the first MMO to get this right.  What we know of the combat so far, it sound tab target+ like Guild Wars 2 or The Secret World, not wow combat.

i agree argonians and dunmer allied seems weird, I can buy nords and dumer allied though, they both hate altmer.

THERE IS NO PVP IN TES single player games.  If they were really staying true to TES it would be a pure PVE game.  Obviously they aren't going to do that and have a Vanguard like flop, so they pick a PVP system and go with it.  I see nothing wrong with copying DAOC for PVP its one of the better systems of PVP along with EVE, the only draw back is other games are copying DAOC now - GW2, Planetside 2, TSW.  But they all started development around the same time, which probably explains them all having the same idea, people were sick of the WOW pvp model back then and did want a DAOC model.

which world of warcraft mechanics, I see none.  What action bars, a mini map? these all predate wow, wow UI is heavily based on COH and AC.  I hear plenty of things that are decidedly non wow though like - NO QUEST HUBS, no agro, no tanks, open world PVP as endgame PVP, open dungeons, open raids for whole factions

it has to have that open world and sense of exploration in PVE to be TES imo, we dont know yet, they are saying the right things like no quest hubs, open dungeons, world raid bosses etc..  Things that sound frankly very EQ.

the screen shots look alright to me too, i dont ghet a SWTOR feeling from them, they give me more of  AOC meets RIFT meets EQ2 feeling

Yep.....

im suprised you haven't mentioned the thing thats my biggest bugbear, hard classes.  I really wish zenimax would reconsider this and copy EVE or The Secret World for character development.  That would fit TES better imo.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I don't really see classes being a big issue.  You have to do it for balancing.  I would hope that there are a good number of classes though.  We know the obvious ones will be there.  Like Warrior, Ranger, Rogue/Thief, Mage, Priest, Paladin, some type of Spellsword and Necromancer.  We don't know if they will be there at launch though.  I'd like to see some sort of shape-shifting class at some point, since the lore can clearly support it.  I think if we had a large selection of classes, it would make up for not having an open ended progression system.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Yep.....

These screenshots not even closely resembles TES games, that bug's me alot.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by ShakyMo

its a relatively easy thing to plug in later, its not like most players go "that mmo has housing, thats top of my list now"

its hard to get action combat right - darkfall and mortal online are buggy, tera doesn't work imo, planetside was ahead of its time and laggy.  Planetside 2 might be the first MMO to get this right.  What we know of the combat so far, it sound tab target+ like Guild Wars 2 or The Secret World, not wow combat.

i agree argonians and dunmer allied seems weird, I can buy nords and dumer allied though, they both hate altmer.

THERE IS NO PVP IN TES single player games.  If they were really staying true to TES it would be a pure PVE game.  Obviously they aren't going to do that and have a Vanguard like flop, so they pick a PVP system and go with it.  I see nothing wrong with copying DAOC for PVP its one of the better systems of PVP along with EVE, the only draw back is other games are copying DAOC now - GW2, Planetside 2, TSW.  But they all started development around the same time, which probably explains them all having the same idea, people were sick of the WOW pvp model back then and did want a DAOC model.

which world of warcraft mechanics, I see none.  What action bars, a mini map? these all predate wow, wow UI is heavily based on COH and AC.  I hear plenty of things that are decidedly non wow though like - NO QUEST HUBS, no agro, no tanks, open world PVP as endgame PVP, open dungeons, open raids for whole factions

it has to have that open world and sense of exploration in PVE to be TES imo, we dont know yet, they are saying the right things like no quest hubs, open dungeons, world raid bosses etc..  Things that sound frankly very EQ.

the screen shots look alright to me too, i dont ghet a SWTOR feeling from them, they give me more of  AOC meets RIFT meets EQ2 feeling

Yep.....

im suprised you haven't mentioned the thing thats my biggest bugbear, hard classes.  I really wish zenimax would reconsider this and copy EVE or The Secret World for character development.  That would fit TES better imo.

Darkfall fps is not buggy, where do you get this silly info from?

• ilovespoonsilovespoons Member UncommonPosts: 46

Even if Darkfall is laggy or whatever, its......... 2012. This game may come out in 2013-14-15, why is something like this a problem for a company like Bethesda? Also I'm pretty sure Bethesda/ZeniMax are going to have a lot more resources to pull from then Aventurine did. Didn't Aventurine have to take a 30mil loan out? I wouldn't mind comebat like Demon/Dark Souls if it came down to it. I may even like this more then the standard FPS style.

As for a "ture" TES:O would be a PVE game, I just don't agree. A "ture" TES:O would let me walk up to anyone or npc and steal their loot or kill them, then steal their loot.  TES is about being what you what and doing what you want. ((along with the roleplaying, story, lore and many other great things.)) I'm not saying we should be able to just kill or steal things from people without repercussions also, something like a murder stysem like L2 or UO would be nice. Never played EVE but doesn't even EVE have some kind of bounty you can put out on people. That would be great.

Slap another name on this game besides TES:O and I wouldn't even care about some of this stuff, I may even like it, as for me I like almost any style of MMO's. I liked and played on pve servers for games like WoW/EQ, I also like to put on full suit of wooden armor in Lineage 2 walking around Talking Island, slapping people with none grade weapons to get them to attack me and turn purple so I could K.O. them with my lvl 75 Sliver Ranger. So this isn't like I just want a pure PVP game with full loot and zero meaning to ganking someone. But I'm also not above myself in wanting to gank the crap out of people under skilled or leveled then me.

"Biggest bugbear, hard classes" Like I said, this was only a small list. This goes along the lines of being what you want and doing what you want for me.

"Recreateing the freedom Elder Scrolls players expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics Zenimax Online is using for this MMO would be impossible without changing the way that players interact with the world." This in my opinion pretty much tells me no stealing, no full loot or even at the least bag loot, along with so many other things. Maybe I'm reading to much into this one but that what I see at least.

which world of warcraft mechanics, I see none. What action bars, a mini map? these all predate wow, wow UI is heavily based on COH and AC. I hear plenty of things that are decidedly non wow though like - NO QUEST HUBS, no agro, no tanks, open world PVP as endgame PVP, open dungeons, open raids for whole factions

Hmmm.... I didn't say anything about the UI, quest hugs, action bars or mini maps. What I was talking about here is "recreating the freedom Elder Scrolls and so on......" meaning that I don't think will see things like stealing, bag/full loot, ffa pvp. Content  like this means "freedom" to me. To do and be what you want, something has TES games have let you do forever now. ((not all of them)). Which I pretty much already summed up in my 2nd paragraph. I do like and want open dungeons/worlds. As I've said, I hope I'm worng and maybe just reading too much into it.

I don't really like to group up graphics or art styles like most people do when it comes to MMo's. I'd like to think I can see the difference in most of them. The screenshots look fine to me. The only MMO I feel I couldn't and wouldn't defend on this is Alganon. If that's not a "wow-clone" I don't know what is.

Not to run WoW into the dirt even more, but players been wanting and waiting for housing, guild halls, keeps or whatever from day one. Its now 7-8 years later. My point is if its not in the game in some form or another, from the start the chances of seeing it at all are slim. It's also not at the top of my list, but its just one thing after another if you know what I mean.

Again this is just my opinion and thanks for the solid reply.

Crap thats ton to read, this is why I don't post much lol.

• MollowMollow Member Posts: 66

They didn't rewrite the lore. Go ahead and read the part with the Nords, Dunmer and Argonians. The Imperial Library is a good start.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

This thread again? Pay attention to the news releases and most of these would be answered.

I pointed out some in an older thread.. Like classes. Yep they are there but if you choose a warrior as a base class it does not mean you cant learn magic or if you choose a mage you cant learn weapon skills. You can. Most of the previews have addressed this.

Its clear they do not want open world housing because it clutters the landscape. I do not want to see thousands of houses as I move about the world. I think them bypassing housing for now and working on more important aspects of the game is as of right now the right thing to do.

And most previews have stated how much of the open world exploration aspect of TES is present in TESO.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    There's first person, third person and an over the shoulder third person view. At the time they discussed first person, they were still working on a way to show hands/ weapons. It's unkown if they were able to do it or not. I guess we will find out.