Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Join the Elder Scrolls Online Betrayal Campaign!

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by colddog04

Fail logic.

Yeah, you failed hard with bringing the retention up on that one...

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Gdemami

Fail logic.

Yeah, you failed hard with bringing the retention up on that one...

Their goal was obviously retention. After all, they offered it to current subscribers. If they had offered it to ONLY new subscribers or ONLY subscribers that had quit, then you might actually have a point.

Unfortunately, the free month was meant for retention. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain. Only a fool could believe that the offer was to get NEW customers since they didn't offer new customers anything.

Only a fool could believe that the offer was to get NEW customers since they didn't offer new customers anything.

It does not offer anything to current customers either. It does nothing for retention - it does not make people stay and pay for the game.

It was just a gift to loyal players.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by Boraell

Senseless reply much? Obviously you are unable to grasp my point but I will counter anyway, yes he has played WoW but (A) he hasnt played ESO and (B) he has no other benchmark to compare it to, so even if the hotbar and combat are, in reality, more like GW2 than WoW he wont know this...Therefore he will compare it to WoW!

Senseless reply much? Obviously you are unable to grasp my point but I will counter anyway, No he has not played ESO but he has a pair of eyes and the ability to recognize something that looks familiar to him, even something also being similar to something else, which has no effect on a thing being similar also to what he knows.

Object looks like A,

I know what A is,

Object also looks like B,

I dont know what B is,

Does obeject still look like A even though it could also look like B or even MORE like B? Yes...it can. this is gradeschool school stuff.

And we have another scathing indictment of the american education system, not even going to bother trying to get sense out of you, its like getting blood out of a stone, laters.

And we have another scathing indictment of ignorant superiority complex along the lines of the "morans" sign holder still thinking its the other person that isnt very smart.

But no really, really, Shelly cant look like Lisa because Terry, the girl you have never seen before looks even more like Lisa then Shelly does. Hurr Durr...derp derp.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Only a fool could believe that the offer was to get NEW customers since they didn't offer new customers anything.

It does not offer anything to current customers either. It does nothing for retention - it does not make people stay and pay for the game.

It was just a gift to loyal players.

That's about as blind as you can get.

Here you go people, we are giving away millions of dollars as a gift to you. We have no ulterior motive to retain subs. We just want to give you millions of dollars.

YAY!

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Campaign against TESO by buying Archeage.

Sure,they either need to launch in the U.S. or I need to learn to read Korean. Great idea!

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Personally I have better things to worry about than whether The elder scrolls mmo is made to my exact specs.  Its  their IP, they can do what ever they want with it.  If people don't like what they are doing they won't buy it.  If you buy it knowing what the game is going to be and don't like it its on you.  TES doesn't owe any of us a damn thing and the idea that they do is beyond ridiculous.  If the game turns out to be a decent pvp game in the Elder scrolls universe great! I'll buy it, if it turns out to be another same old same old I'll pass.   The only games that tried combat that even compares to the ES games is darkfall and mortal and I wouldn't touch either of those basically ever.  It wouldn't matter if each game came with a 100 dollar bill people on these forums would find reason to bitch and rage, have fun with that :).

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Dear OP,

this thread reminds me of this

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by AdamTM

I don't know Distopia, people associate TES with Bethesda, they -will- be associated with this game as proven by the people here on this site that think they are making it.

And people -will- associate it with the singleplayer TES games, no doubt about that.

Damage will be done to the IP.

You can't really protect yourself from ignorance and stupidity of human kind.

Yes you can, thats why Zenimax was sueing Notch over the name "Scrolls" and Interplay/Masthead over Fallout Online.

Zenimax did not do this because they are dicks, they did it to protect their IP/Franchise -NAMES- to not be confused with other developers/publishers and to not be associated with -them-.

Specifically with Notch it was clear they only are doing it to drum up publicity so -everyone interested- distinguishes Scrolls from Elder Scrolls.

Just tell me that if I say the following product-names you don't immediately think and associate them with the companies that are making them:

Playstation

GeForce

Pentium

Call Of Duty

World Of Warcraft

Those are household franchise names, if you slap them on your product, your company will be associated with it -always-and I can blame nobody that they do, because the companies -WANT- you to associate them with the product.

Bioware -wants- you to associate them with Mass Effect and Apple -wants- you to associate them with the iPhone, they would be crazy not to.

Its called brand-loyalty.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by miagisan

Dear OP,

this thread reminds me of this

What does this accomplish. Yes i know your trolling but comeon....

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

Just read a nice Kotaku article on TESO. My favorite line was. "People always wonder why no MMO has ever beaten World of Warcraft. It's because the people who want to play World of Warcraft...already play World of Warcraft, and don't need to play something built using the same system. This franchise, like Star Wars: Old Republic before it, was a great chance to try something new, something that can capture the imaginations of the hundreds of millions of people who don't play WoW, not the ten million who do. To hear it won't be, as a massive fan of the Elder Scrolls series, is disappointing."

If there were any logic to that, than why did EQ1 players leave for WoW?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by AdamTM

Yes you can, thats why Zenimax was sueing Notch over the name "Scrolls" and Interplay/Masthead over Fallout Online.
    Zenimax did not do this because they are dicks, they did it to protect their IP/Franchise -NAMES- to not be confused with other developers/publishers and to not be associated with -them-.

You fairly lost track of who is who...

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Originally posted by Boraell

Its not my problem what is feasible or not feasible in the MMO.

Can't make a TES MMO because its concept is not suited for an MMO? Don't make it. Simple.

As I thought, you have no rational response beyond the much overused 'waaaaaaaa!' of a spoilt child who wants a lollypop but demands it be vanilla because you always have vanilla, despite the shop selling the new strawberry range.

P.s. if you wait the shop is selling a new vanilla lollypop soon (Dawnguard) so selling one range does not mean your shop will stop making new ones you do like.

Too abstract for you? Dont like it, dont play it, im sure there will be more single player clones for you to enact your god complex in!

Perhaps becuase the ES fans who have been waiting for an ES mmo understand better then the fairweather fans who refuse to play anything that doesn't play like wow, that once they make an ES mmo wrong, they won't be able to make one right.

They won't get to make a seonc ES mmo.  If they alienaate all the fans who actually want an ES mmo and not just another reskinning of WoW with some gimmicks, they won't get a second chance.

A few hundred thousand subs and a most of your fans pissed off at you, or a few hundred thousand subs and WoW players oblivious to you?  Because let's be realistic here, no mmo following the "traditional mmo formula" is ever going to get beyond that few hundred thousand subscriber base without being f2p.  If it was possible, wow wouldn't have a 10 million subsciber base lead on every other game.  The MMO population would have spread out, and it hasn't. 

A real ES mmo, that plays like the ES games, would have no problem gaining just as many subs as any of the themepark mmos.   Anyone who's played the ES games, enjoyed them, and who also plays MMO, is lying if they say they wouldn't play an ES mmo because it plays like ES.  Don't even try and deny it.  If you wouldn't play it as an mmo you wouldn't have played it at all.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by DSWBeef

Just read a nice Kotaku article on TESO. My favorite line was. "People always wonder why no MMO has ever beaten World of Warcraft. It's because the people who want to play World of Warcraft...already play World of Warcraft, and don't need to play something built using the same system. This franchise, like Star Wars: Old Republic before it, was a great chance to try something new, something that can capture the imaginations of the hundreds of millions of people who don't play WoW, not the ten million who do. To hear it won't be, as a massive fan of the Elder Scrolls series, is disappointing."

Please explain this.

WoW 10 million subs.  EQ at it's prime never passed 500 or 750k, one of those two numbers.

Did the EQ subscribers somehow clone themselves, or did millions of people suddenly start subbing to EQ so that they could leave it for WoW? 

And from everything I've ever seen, EQ managed to retain 200-300k subs after WoW.  Soooo.... 

But for the sake of arguement.  Could it have something to do with WoW being the really easy version of EQ?  I never had to type a specific sentence to an NPC to get a quest in WoW, nor did I ever have to talk to every npc to find the quest givers in WoW, I sure didn't have to spend a year and a half my life playing WoW like a job in order to reach max level.  WoW only took the people who wanted to keep playing EQ, but wanted something easier with less grind. 

You probably shouldn't try and argue logic when yours isn't very solid.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by Uhwop

Perhaps becuase the ES fans who have been waiting for an ES mmo understand better then the fairweather fans who refuse to play anything that doesn't play like wow, that once they make an ES mmo wrong, they won't be able to make one right.

They won't get to make a seonc ES mmo.  If they alienaate all the fans who actually want an ES mmo and not just another reskinning of WoW with some gimmicks, they won't get a second chance.

A few hundred thousand subs and a most of your fans pissed off at you, or a few hundred thousand subs and WoW players oblivious to you?  Because let's be realistic here, no mmo following the "traditional mmo formula" is ever going to get beyond that few hundred thousand subscriber base without being f2p.  If it was possible, wow wouldn't have a 10 million subsciber base lead on every other game.  The MMO population would have spread out, and it hasn't. 

A real ES mmo, that plays like the ES games, would have no problem gaining just as many subs as any of the themepark mmos.   Anyone who's played the ES games, enjoyed them, and who also plays MMO, is lying if they say they wouldn't play an ES mmo because it plays like ES.  Don't even try and deny it.  If you wouldn't play it as an mmo you wouldn't have played it at all.

This part is kinda....silly....

I wouldn't play it as an MMO because it doesn't work as an MMO.  ES as a single player game gives me an open world, quasi-sandbox RPG to play.  I can run about collecting apples if I chose and making pie.  I could make the worlds largest pile of troll skulls.   But when you KEEP the tiny, yet game defining, elements of the series and place them in an MMO you end up with a pretty barren world.  Someone will run around and grab all that stuff.  You won't find little items laying in interesting places.  Whiterun, in an MMO, would be forever empty from the first person who decided to murder-hell on everything. 

In the same scenario, that empty whiterun is AWESOME in a single player setting because its a monument to your achievement.  YOU did it.  In an MMO, it would just be an empty wasteland...serving no purpose and having no meaning to the player.  And you can't just say, "Well they could take that out and it would still be ES" because it wouldn't.  Those choices, and their consequences, are all a part of the experience.  Having all the wildlife running around, being the one to take all the forgotten armor from the lost prison, knowing you can always kill that bastard in that one town that runs around beating dark elves for no reason.....those small details make the flow of the game what it is.  Those options make every bug and all the akward combat worth it.  And not a single one work in an MMO setting.

You say if we wouldn't play it as an MMO we wouldnt play it at all.  I say you're wrong.  Some of us want those game elements and understand that when you apply them to a world with thousands of other players...they will be consumed before you can enjoy them

• BoraellBoraell Member UncommonPosts: 97

Originally posted by Gishgeron

Originally posted by Uhwop   Anyone who's played the ES games, enjoyed them, and who also plays MMO, is lying if they say they wouldn't play an ES mmo because it plays like ES.  Don't even try and deny it.  If you wouldn't play it as an mmo you wouldn't have played it at all.

I wouldn't play it as an MMO because it doesn't work as an MMO.  ES as a single player game gives me an open world, quasi-sandbox RPG to play.  I can run about collecting apples if I chose and making pie.  I could make the worlds largest pile of troll skulls.   But when you KEEP the tiny, yet game defining, elements of the series and place them in an MMO you end up with a pretty barren world.  Someone will run around and grab all that stuff.  You won't find little items laying in interesting places.  Whiterun, in an MMO, would be forever empty from the first person who decided to murder-hell on everything. 

In the same scenario, that empty whiterun is AWESOME in a single player setting because its a monument to your achievement.  YOU did it.  In an MMO, it would just be an empty wasteland...serving no purpose and having no meaning to the player.  And you can't just say, "Well they could take that out and it would still be ES" because it wouldn't.  Those choices, and their consequences, are all a part of the experience.  Having all the wildlife running around, being the one to take all the forgotten armor from the lost prison, knowing you can always kill that bastard in that one town that runs around beating dark elves for no reason.....those small details make the flow of the game what it is.  Those options make every bug and all the akward combat worth it.  And not a single one work in an MMO setting.

You say if we wouldn't play it as an MMO we wouldnt play it at all.  I say you're wrong.  Some of us want those game elements and understand that when you apply them to a world with thousands of other players...they will be consumed before you can enjoy them

Completely agree, unfortunately your being logical about why skyrim with 2mil heroes wouldnt work and the knee-jerks dont want logic, they each want their concept of what a ES MMO should be regardless of if its viable, regardless of if the publishing company would make a loss and damage their future publishing power and regardless of what anyone else wants. Personally im looking forward to seeing more of the world of Tamriel regardless of the setup, as long as its well done!

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Please explain this.

WoW 10 million subs.  EQ at it's prime never passed 500 or 750k, one of those two numbers.

Did the EQ subscribers somehow clone themselves, or did millions of people suddenly start subbing to EQ so that they could leave it for WoW? 

And from everything I've ever seen, EQ managed to retain 200-300k subs after WoW.  Soooo.... 

But for the sake of arguement.  Could it have something to do with WoW being the really easy version of EQ?  I never had to type a specific sentence to an NPC to get a quest in WoW, nor did I ever have to talk to every npc to find the quest givers in WoW, I sure didn't have to spend a year and a half my life playing WoW like a job in order to reach max level.  WoW only took the people who wanted to keep playing EQ, but wanted something easier with less grind. 

You probably shouldn't try and argue logic when yours isn't very solid.

Also, WoW was a huge step up from EQ, in a lot of ways.  A step down in others too, maybe, but it had to be a big improvement overall.  It didn't succeed by being a cheap knockoff, so much as a superior knockoff.  This is one area where every clone has failed to even be a a successful clone, so far.  I guess if TESO somehow manages to out-WoW WoW, enough people will be happy with it, to outweigh the criticisms of it being a clone.. but what's the liklihood of that?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by Gishgeron

I think every single MMO ever made allows players to run around and 'collect apples' I dont see why magically that is now a problem where it is done and not a problem in all other MMOs.

When i first played Morrowind one of first thoughts were 'this would be amazing as an MMO'.

When I first logged into Darkfall I thought, 'this is how a  Morrowind online could have been'. A few things about Darkfall needs to change mostly to make it PvP with training wheels instead of PvP for socieopaths but other than that and more content Darkfall is spot on.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DoomBDragonDoomBDragon Member Posts: 13

To be all fair. The betrayed me when they brought the Elder Scrolls to consoles. Now this is not to bash consoles it just to say they have dumbed down every aspect of the game to please the console player.

Combat got dumbed down. Quest got dumbed down. Puzzles got dumbed down.

I see TESO being just a super resticted and super dumbed down version of Arena.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

ive said it before, ill say it 10,000,000x more.

Take an item, change it, change it again and again and again and sooner or later you need to stop calling it that original thing.

The very idea of taking an IP is to use its name, if it is nothing like that original IP anymore, why use it at all? because, what you are making is so piss poor it cannot stand on its own is the reason.

If a TV show came out, its a situation comedy that takes place in New York City in 2013 based on a group of friends named Frodo and Legolas who live in an apartment next door to Gimli and Samwise, Gandalf, a cranky old man lives below them, they are harrassed all day by their landlord Sauron. The name of the show? The Lord of the Rings!

Is it really Lord of the Rings? No...and calling it that is moronic. Well, so far...calling this game TES is moronic. Go on, remove TES from it and give it some other name like "More of the same Online" and tell me...does this game look interesting? Is it bringing ANYTHING new? What makes it stand out?

Go on...think about it. WHAT IS THIS GAME BRINGING OTHER THAN A TES SKIN? Its plain to see that the heads wanted to make DaoC 2, couldnt get the rights to it and knew the game wouldnt stand on its own with an original IP.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

TESO is not and never was to be a part of TES series. Got it?

I simply love this statement.

"Hey guys, we are making a game called "The Elder Scrolls......ONLINE!"

"Cool so it is "The Elder Scrolls...but ONLINE!"

"Well It is called 'The Elder Scrolls ONLINE' but it isn't actually 'The Elder Scrolls...ONLINE....but it is ONLINE!"

"So it isn't 'The Elder Scrolls ONLINE then?"

"Yes it is"

"But is isn't 'The Elder Scrolls....ONLINE?"

"It's online and it is 'The elder scrolls' but it isn't part of 'The Elder scrolls' series"

"..."

"What?"

"fucking retards"

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Connmacart

All that they need to remove for me is classes and linking factions to race. Let people choose a faction ingame instead.

I can easily live with levels though they could get rid of those aswell as long as people are free to do what they want. Freedom to do whatever has been the best feature in the TES series.

This and blocking off more than half the world to each race.  Fine, don't make it open world PvP (which would've been a great option btw) but we should be able to see the entire world with one character.  Talking about "faction pride" and then telling us to create alts from other factions is counter productive imo.

Most Elder Scroll fans don't even give a shit about the war, it NEVER should've been the main focus but only a background setting to the game.  If we wanted to participate in PvP/AvA then make us join a faction but those who prefer the exploration should be able to do so unhindered.  That's the fault of design when DAoC PvP became greater than The Elder Scrolls.

How would you feel if you created a Nord in Skyrim and was forced to join the Stormcloaks?

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

This thread is funny.

To me TES is all about running around doing random things like clearing out a dungeon and finding out of the way places. That is something TESO will have so I am happy. What makes TES is different for most everyone.

Classes? Prior TES game had class choices. TESO will do the same by giving you some base class abilities and then allowing you to combine that with whatever else you want.. Choosing to be a Cleric doesnt mean you will be healing the rest of the characters life. You could raise your weapons skills and make a Paladin / Battle Cleric that wears plate armor or even a Battlemage that wields a 2H weapon. It seems to me that the choice still remains when it comes to character building.

Housing? When they said they couldnt do housing the way some would want it I am sure that was directed at players who would want open world housing. I dont know about anyone else but I dont want to dodge a house every 3 feet or run in place because I ran into a house that hasnt loaded yet like I constantly did in UO and SWG. Open world housing just kills the landscape. But that doesnt mean I am fine with no housing at all as I think they could easily create a system similar to what EQ2 uses but it also isnt a deal breaker if housing isnt in the game at release for me.

Locked races / factions? I can see why they would do it this way.. They dont want one faction to stand far above the others population wise. Trying to split the would be most popular races will help game balance in the end and thats a good thing IMO.

TESO has many things that the single player TES do and some things it doesnt due to the nature of being an MMO. 

I am definitely looking forward to play the game.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Way to necro a thread.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

Locked races / factions? I can see why they would do it this way.. They dont want one faction to stand far above the others population wise. Trying to split the would be most popular races will help game balance in the end and thats a good thing IMO.

TESO has many things that the single player TES do and some things it doesnt due to the nature of being an MMO. 

Being a MMO is not > than being an Elder Scrolls game imo.

When they first announced ESO, no honest person could say they thought  "Man, I hope they split races into different factions and close off part of the world".  There is more than one way to design a game, they did not have to lock factions and areas.

From the polls on the ESO forums there is already an imbalance in faction choices.  There would've been a better chance for balance by allowing players to pick the race they wanted and then join a faction that they decided.