Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The combat is third person turned based?

2»

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by Blackwater56

I wrote an artivle summerizing my thoughts

http://greaterthangaming.blogspot.com/2012/05/mmos-its-time-to-stop.html

That's all there is left to say about this game.

In the article, the author mentions that "If combat in the Elder Scrolls Online was just like it is in Skyrim, the game would be unplayable due to the latency and sheer chaos of every trying to rush each other."

This just isn't true. There are games out there that use aiming (TERA, Fallen Earth) just fine.

Joined - July 2004

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by remyburke

In the article, the author mentions that "If combat in the Elder Scrolls Online was just like it is in Skyrim, the game would be unplayable due to the latency and sheer chaos of every trying to rush each other."

This just isn't true. There are games out there that use aiming (TERA, Fallen Earth) just fine.

But none of those games use the Hero engine.

• Blackwater56Blackwater56 Member Posts: 122

I was talking about First Person melee combat, not reactive combat

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Fallen Earth has a first person perspective with melee and hit boxes.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

This... This is a joke right, guys?...

GUYS?!?!

Even more reason to avoid it like the plague if that would be the case.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

This clear enough its a disaster in the making im very very dissapointed with Bethesda, if this is all true they lose at least one huge fan sinds 1999.

A page later? You're playing the game in third-person, and its combat centres around hotbars activating skills. Your attacks have cooldowns. In clear terms, that means no real-time combat. It is literally explained as using "World of Warcraft mechanics".

But overall, my heart, it is sinking. Why, exactly, is this game being made if, a few bells and whistles aside, it's just another fantasy MMO, and retains so little of what it is people play Elder Scrolls games for? It even looks like just another fantasy MMO, losing much of the refined elegance of Bethesda's games in exchange for a simpler style that looks little like the past few games in the series.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

If they had simply made the game first person, I could have forgiven some of their decisions. I don't mean an optional first person either, but primarily restricted to first person. I would have looked at it as more of an evolution from Everquest and less as a clone of World of Warcraft. Especially considering the open world dungeons and limited skill bar. Third person MMORPGSs are a dime a dozen.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by Boreil

No actually every game after Daggerfall has Been first and third person view and worked just fine in either.

This. It should have both options. I prefer 1st person in some situations and 3d person in others. Even most themepark mmo's that it looks to turn out to be have both options available so they might as well "copy" that feature as well.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

The problem with first and third person views in a MMORPG is that people will just use third person for the advantage, so it will become pretty much required to play the game. If you are going to have first person, it needs to be locked into first person. I really really want a first person MMORPG, but I would never play it first person if third person was an option because it would put me at a major disadvantage.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by //\//\oo

Fallen Earth has a first person perspective with melee and hit boxes.

And it was made by 10 people. So my point is if a small Indie dev team can figure it out, then so can a crew with actual money to spend.

Joined - July 2004

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    A piece of me died with this.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

You know what this smells like to me? It smells like Star Trek Online. After years of development, and the game designers and developers telling the naysayers they know what's best, the game launches to utter failure. CEOs leave/let go, investors clamor to know what went wrong, game goes f2p, and limps along with pathetic user numbers...

Everyone was telling Cryptic what the hell they were doing wrong and they ignored it as they rode by on their high horse.

bah. 

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

You know what? This is great! I can't wait for this game to tank, and I can buy some Zenimax stock for pennies on the dollar. Then I'll hang in there until the new Fallout game hits and rake in the cash.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

GUYS!

all you guys who are either 15 or have never played a traditional table top RPG....NO MMMO IS NOT TURNED BASED

turned based is make a move, everything stops, other player then makes a move which might involve him going to get coffee before anyone does anything.

The video game I have played that was turned based tacical was Silent Storm

o

m

g

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Originally posted by Sfaliara

If by turn-based you mean typical MMO combat then yes but you will confuse a lot of people like the other poster. So not turn based at all.

This. I think they used poor wording in the article, but it sounds like they're just sticking with typical auto attack + hotbar facerolling.

The usual and traditional tab targeting combat is a direct port of pen&paper turn based combat into computer games if you wasn't aware of it. Obviously fps and action combat (arcade) are genuinely made for computer.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by ice-vortex

The problem with first and third person views in a MMORPG is that people will just use third person for the advantage, so it will become pretty much required to play the game. If you are going to have first person, it needs to be locked into first person. I really really want a first person MMORPG, but I would never play it first person if third person was an option because it would put me at a major disadvantage.

Pretty much. If third person is an option, most people will feel they have to play third person, and if they want to be competitive, they won't be wrong. 

In an MMO with PVP you either go "only first person" or "no first person at all".

Anyways, most third person MMOs already give you the option to zooming in to first person. Most people don't use it. Even if they like first person. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Originally posted by seniorfrito

Where the hell are you getting this?  I mean we're just hearing about the game, I don't think anyone knows any of the mechanics yet.  Get a grip.

From the article in Gameinformer where they made the announcement of the game.  Please do some research first before telling people to get a grip.

First, the OP should provide a link.

Second, it's not turn based ...

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Dredphyre

You know what this smells like to me? It smells like Star Trek Online. After years of development, and the game designers and developers telling the naysayers they know what's best, the game launches to utter failure. CEOs leave/let go, investors clamor to know what went wrong, game goes f2p, and limps along with pathetic user numbers...

Everyone was telling Cryptic what the hell they were doing wrong and they ignored it as they rode by on their high horse.

bah. 

I have issues with Cryptic games, but you are mistaken if you think they don't know what they're doing.  They aren't interested in making the next WoW, they want to fill a niche and do well and that is exactly what their games currently do.  They make a profit in the niche they occupy.  They make their games more cheaply than anyone on the market and probably get a better return for such a small investment than most mediocre AAA games do.  It's no wonder they keep getting IPs thrown at them, from a business perspective, they're probably considered a good investment.

They have a vision and they don't care what you or I think, because they do well with that they do, making MMOs under two years in development with relatively low overhead and a decent return income.

Some developers like getting lots of feedback and they let you know it.  Others don't and I'm sure they don't appreciate the armchair devs yelling at them all the time on bulletin boards, acting as if they know what the hell they are talking about.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

GUYS!
    all you guys who are either 15 or have never played a traditional table top RPG....NO MMMO IS NOT TURNED BASED
    turned based is make a move, everything stops, other player then makes a move which might involve him going to get coffee before anyone does anything.
    The video game I have played that was turned based tacical was Silent Storm

o
    m
    g

Wow,, where did Turn Based Combat come from the developer's words? MMO community's IQ goes down and down by the second...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by seniorfrito

Where the hell are you getting this?  I mean we're just hearing about the game, I don't think anyone knows any of the mechanics yet.  Get a grip.

http://kotaku.com/5907598/first-elder-scrolls-online--details-make-it-sound-like-just-another-fantasy-mmo

First, the words "turn based" are nowhere to be found in that article.  It describes standard MMO actionbar combat.  Turn based = pokemon or the classic Final Fantasy games.  I don't even know of a turn-based MMO, though I'm sure one exists.  

Second, that article is an opinion piece written by a person just like you or me.  It has no more or less credibility than any forum post here.  Take your information from the original article that this article is citing. 

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Requiamer

If by turn-based you mean typical MMO combat then yes but you will confuse a lot of people like the other poster. So not turn based at all.

This. I think they used poor wording in the article, but it sounds like they're just sticking with typical auto attack + hotbar facerolling.

The usual and traditional tab targeting combat is a direct port of pen&paper turn based combat into computer games if you wasn't aware of it. Obviously fps and action combat (arcade) are genuinely made for computer.

No it's not. Tab target comes from console game's target lock on feature. Totally different from Table Top.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Requiamer

No it's not. Tab target comes from console game's target lock on feature. Totally different from Table Top.

I'm not talking about calling a target lol. I'm talking about the traditional rpg or mmorpg combat (forget about tab targeting).

Developers have their own definition of turn based combat, and honestly its quiet a subtle aspect in game design that evolved a lot during time in all directions. Ask in a developer or game designer forum why they call rpg combat "turn based", or read articles or whatever about this. But the obvious is : i want to hit you, i roll a dice, it goes through a formula, we get the result, now its your turn to roll the dice. This is the core of it, and a lot of rpg computer game use that type of combat. The fact the computer made the computation instant don't change anything.

Neither fps or action arcade combat (with combo) are based on this method, they use different principle to get to the result.

Believe me the guy know what he is talking about, its his job and we are amateurs here, he probably know better how to use technical words than us...

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

On a side note, it's rather amusing to witness MMOexposed defend this game from the same forms of fan generated hyperbole that he posts about a certain other game on a daily basis.