Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death of the keyboard in mmo's....good or bad..

rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

its my opinion that the keyboard is going to become obsolete, and everything is going to go to voice and gesture based gaming.

For mmo's i think the mouse will survive, and i actually think well end up with a mouse and a joystick combo, with voice being used in place of the current ui. I think gestures will be there too but they will take a little bit of a back seat in mmo's

as someone who is a terrible typer i think this is a great thing coming. What do you think?

Comments

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I think PC's will become obsolete in 5-10 years and everything will have switched over to augmented reality.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

doubtfull

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

Originally posted by rungard

its my opinion that the keyboard is going to become obsolete, and everything is going to go to voice and gesture based gaming.

For mmo's i think the mouse will survive, and i actually think well end up with a mouse and a joystick combo, with voice being used in place of the current ui. I think gestures will be there too but they will take a little bit of a back seat in mmo's

as someone who is a terrible typer i think this is a great thing coming. What do you think?

Well, I could do with losing a few pounds. As long as I don't have to do any backwards flips I should be ok.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

In the future we will have flying cars. oh wait we didn't get those.

Keyboards will be here for a good while longer, maybe not traditional ones, maybe it will become touch based. Voice and gesture can only accomplish so many things.

• ShmawShmaw Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

I think PC's will become obsolete in 5-10 years and everything will have switched over to augmented reality.

This seems pretty hard to believe, but I for one think it's quite possible.  Google is already working on augmented reality programs.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/04/google-project-glas/

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Lay off the crack pipe

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

Zero chance.

Joysticks are too limited and limiting, not to mention imprecise and slow compared to mouse-keyboard user controls.

Gesture based games are fad-ish and I don't think have long term staying power in any genre other than casual party games.  Simple fatigue will do them in - it's tough to play hours at a time for days on end (the typical profile for an MMO) with Kinect or the motion sensitive joysticks.

Voice stuff might come in - but with voice chat being so popular in modern MMOs I doubt people will be all that interested in having to choose between talking and game interaction.  Not to mention, there's the fatigue thing again, plus the simple logistics (for instance, I don't use voice chat generally because my gaming rig is close to the living room and my talking would disturb the rest of the household when they're watching TV.  I wouldn't play a voice-activated only game).

Mouse and keyboard (of some description - it's tough to call some of the really high-end devices a "mouse" any more) is here for a very long time to come.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by Shmaw

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

This seems pretty hard to believe, but I for one think it's quite possible.  Google is already working on augmented reality programs.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/04/google-project-glas/

My phone already has plenty of AR apps. It's just a matter of time before we are all out playing COD or WoW in a big park or a warehouse.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I think touch screens will be more prevalent, but keyboards will remain, not everyone wants their free time to be dominated by the mindless whining of snot nosed kids over voice.
  • KorgborgKorgborg Member UncommonPosts: 116

I agree with Four, Jakin, Conn and Ref.

Keyboards are here for quite a while.

If you cut it too short you can always nail a piece on the end.

If you cut it too long then what the hell are you gonna do?

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by Korgborg

I agree with Four, Jakin, Conn and Ref.

Keyboards are here for quite a while.

I agree with that too. Keyboard and mouse ftw for me!

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by jakin

Zero chance.

Joysticks are too limited and limiting, not to mention imprecise and slow compared to mouse-keyboard user controls.

Gesture based games are fad-ish and I don't think have long term staying power in any genre other than casual party games.  Simple fatigue will do them in - it's tough to play hours at a time for days on end (the typical profile for an MMO) with Kinect or the motion sensitive joysticks.

Voice stuff might come in - but with voice chat being so popular in modern MMOs I doubt people will be all that interested in having to choose between talking and game interaction.  Not to mention, there's the fatigue thing again, plus the simple logistics (for instance, I don't use voice chat generally because my gaming rig is close to the living room and my talking would disturb the rest of the household when they're watching TV.  I wouldn't play a voice-activated only game).

Mouse and keyboard (of some description - it's tough to call some of the really high-end devices a "mouse" any more) is here for a very long time to come.

Totally agree with that!

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Humm, Decisions Decisions The Holo Deck or 7 at night. Not a tough choice here.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I think you should work on your typing...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

I think you should practice your typing and get better instead of hoping for the bar to be lowered for you.

Human beings are naturally attuned to tactile feedback. Our hands are one of our discerning features. Using our hands to manipulate objects is hard-coded into our brains, and anything else, while it may be a nice supplement, is no replacement for manual dexterity.

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88

I agree, atleast keyboards as we know them. Right now they are ennefective and totally 1900th century.

It's the same reason game developers can't seem to come out with intuitive controls, hotkeys on your top 1-0 keys, while hotkeys to pages like character screen, skills, guild/allegiance bound to key like z,c,f.

I know a well designed game by its default controls, most the crap that comes out now is just crap that's it, perfect example is bethesda's last couple releases, junk and clunky.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

How about this?

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

This came in the post the other day so I do agree with you just waiting for the software to be made.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by Calerxes

This came in the post the other day so I do agree with you just waiting for the software to be made.

Is that Miss Moneypenny?

Originally posted by Korgborg

Originally posted by Calerxes

Is that Miss Moneypenny?

...and may I use this device to engage in intelligent conversation with 7 of 9? image

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Keyboards will always be around.

Personally I do not like voice (person to person) at ALL In games as it significantly reduces immersion.  I do not mind when NPCs speak but I do not like when I hear the screaming baby in the background of the burly orc who then yells in a high pitched female voice at the baby. 

But that said, there are other fundimental reasons to use a keyboard even if (especially if) you use voice.

It is that there are a limited number of ways to interact at the same time -- if you are talking into a microphone, you can't also use talking to make your character do things. 

If you have 20 different actions a player can do, unless you are using a really funky mouse you really need the keyboard, and I dont see games really taking the vindictus minimalist model any time soon.

One thing that does seem gone is parsing text into an MMO like the old quests in everquest where you would communicate with the npc rather than choosing from menus. 

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Just stopped in to laugh at the premise of the post.  Until games can be streamed directly into our brains through a wetware interface, we'll mainly be using keyboards in one form or another.  There might be a few sideshow contraptions that pop up, but nothing that will replace the simple effectiveness of a standard keyboard.  We'll have colonized Mars before that happens.

• Bushi13Bushi13 Member Posts: 123

If everybody would let the industry, all industries go on, you'll get pre-chew food injected directly into Uranus, of course you'll get charged double.

The clear input limitation of any swipe, kinec, or whatever is just to big to be any reality soon.

They'll sure try but it's still ridiculous, they try to inovate and invent things nobody needs and afterwards they want to make believe it was necessary like evolution.

All those input methods are jokes.

People get lazy and stupid because the TomTom wil tell you to go right, or the calculator wil tell you that 10+10 is 20.

You dunno? check google for anything, no need to have your own ideas either, this website tell you what to think, think ?

so what is next? a program reading everything, or another program typing all you say? what about using the gift of live which we all waste and just do it ourself, the old fashion way like real human and not some assisted monkey.

Diablow 3, it sucks ...

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

You said it; "A terrible typer" and something simple to suit.

The sooner real MMOs with tactical and proper community and gameplay inputs return rather than "easy mode everything" then we will have MMOs back.

At the moment the easy mode approach and addition of pure gadgets means that what is being produced is just not in reality for an MMO. But for small arena size game layouts.

No I do not think Keyboard will dissapear MMOs may though.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

yeah. that's not happening.