Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Twice Burned

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Caedryn the Dwarf has seen some mighty interesting things in his journey through Rift, none more interesting than what he's been involved with this week. Find out what Caedryn and Fido are up to in our latest Rift column. Let us know what you think in the comments!

Phase 2 of the War of the Wanton Maw has kicked off and we have to try and stop the two dragon cults from taking over. As the description says, “The Ascended has uncovered a devious plot of Maelforge and Laethys to throw Telara into chaos, but the details of the dragons' plan are still unclear. The forces of the Ascended continue to fight on the field of battle while those who are capable hurry to uncover the dragon’s schemes.”

Read more of Paul Crilley's Chronicles of One Telaran: Twice Burned.

Posing over the remains of an Earth Rift. Like you do.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WikingDKWikingDK Member UncommonPosts: 50

I love this game :) 

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    I so much wanted to like rift. It had soooo much potential. However it had the most unsocial group if players i had ever encountered. I leveled to 42 and felt like i was running around with bots most of the time. The game looked great. The customization was great. The community well it felt like it wasnt there
  • DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by cybertrucker
    I so much wanted to like rift. It had soooo much potential. However it had the most unsocial group if players i had ever encountered. I leveled to 42 and felt like i was running around with bots most of the time. The game looked great. The customization was great. The community well it felt like it wasnt there

Faeblight has a great community. If that was your only barrier, Id suggest making a character on that server.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by cybertrucker

Faeblight has a great community. If that was your only barrier, Id suggest making a character on that server.

I agree. I play on Faeblight and the community is great there.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

I didn't have any community issues.  I would try again on a new server.

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149

These events are designed with level 50's in mind. The number of items you recieve scale upwards based on level. I've collected somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 ingots with hardly any effort. Also 15k planarite at level 50 is not that much. You are just trying to do things at the wrong time is all. Can it be done yes. Should these be done at low level. Not really as it would be a grindfest.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by dead2soon

These events are designed with level 50's in mind. The number of items you recieve scale upwards based on level. I've collected somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 ingots with hardly any effort. Also 15k planarite at level 50 is not that much. You are just trying to do things at the wrong time is all. Can it be done yes. Should these be done at low level. Not really as it would be a grindfest.

Wasn't that suppose to be one of the big mainstays of the game?  That events like this wouldn't focus only on high levels and that lower levels would have just as much of an affect on the progress of said events as any other level range?  Yet events in the past along with this one have to this point, had their main focus on high levels and I find that rather disingenous of the developers and just plain typically disappointing of the MMO genre in general.

...and gamers wonder why so many people rush to end game, when half the time it's the developers themselves that are the problem.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    I would try again, however im trying out TERA currently and having fun so far there. It seems very group oriented which is somethi.g most games are lackinng these days
  • RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

As a current subscriber, I believe that Rift is really just missing a mentor system or scaling of levels in lower zones so that they still have value for higher level characters. If Trion would implement this sort of system all the lower level zones would still be really active. Not just the 1-20 area or the 50 areas.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Gold Ingots are found on Fire rift mobs. Not just any rift mob.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Wasn't that suppose to be one of the big mainstays of the game?  That events like this wouldn't focus only on high levels and that lower levels would have just as much of an affect on the progress of said events as any other level range?  Yet events in the past along with this one have to this point, had their main focus on high levels and I find that rather disingenous of the developers and just plain typically disappointing of the MMO genre in general.

...and gamers wonder why so many people rush to end game, when half the time it's the developers themselves that are the problem.

No, it was always the design that lower level players could support, but the heavy hitting was done by higher levels.  You may have been doing some wishcasting there when you were reading.

• NoamNoam Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by grimfall

Originally posted by Vorthanion

No, it was always the design that lower level players could support, but the heavy hitting was done by higher levels.  You may have been doing some wishcasting there when you were reading.

I agree.  This game has always been designed around level 50 content.  Just read Hartsmans comments pre release.  With fast elveling where one can go 1-50 in 1-3 days played there is no beed to focus on gameplay below level 50.  the amount of content post 50 is quite amazing and I would imgaine it likly overhwlmong for new 50's.

• Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128

Rift is a great game, the developers and the customer service are unmatched imo...I will be heading back to Rift soon, SWTOR is dead and i miss a real development team like Trion

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Loved the ideas. Loved the graphics. Wasn't crazy about the lore but it wasn't bad. But the button mashing combos was the turn off for me. I felt like I was watching cool downs all day and that just wasn't satisfying for me. Strong launch and good company though, gotta give them that. I look forward to their future projects now at least.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

My one love atm...

Smile

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

At level 50, if one is active, 15K isn't excessive.  I have two level 50's (warrior and rogue) and the warrior (pally/warlord) has the medic summon.  Rift is an entertaining game, but as with most such games, the end game is really limited.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Same problem here. I just had a free weekend and quit on day 2. I transfered all my toons to the busiest server, and couldnt find anyone to play with around level 40. No one talks, looks for gorups or joins groups. Queued up for PVP for an hour (cross server!) before i got in. No one to help with group quests, rarely saw anyone in zone, 2 people show up in the social window. And solo is boring. So Ill never make it to end game. The game is fundementaly flawed like all level based themeparks.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by mCalvert

Same problem here. I just had a free weekend and quit on day 2. I transfered all my toons to the busiest server, and couldnt find anyone to play with around level 40. No one talks, looks for gorups or joins groups. Queued up for PVP for an hour (cross server!) before i got in. No one to help with group quests, rarely saw anyone in zone, 2 people show up in the social window. And solo is boring. So Ill never make it to end game. The game is fundementaly flawed like all level based themeparks.

I am having this problem now as well.  I decided to finally use my steam purchase from a special they did a few months ago and I am level 25 can't hardly find any other players on the highest pop surver I could find when creating the character last saturday during prime-time.  I keep hearing all these great things about the end game and it does look like there are many things to do, but I don't know if i'll ever make it that far.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by WikingDK

Rift is a lot of fun. I have been impressed by the Devs. The Rift Devs are simply great at keeping content coming out.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

Originally posted by mCalvert

I am having this problem now as well.  I decided to finally use my steam purchase from a special they did a few months ago and I am level 25 can't hardly find any other players on the highest pop surver I could find when creating the character last saturday during prime-time.  I keep hearing all these great things about the end game and it does look like there are many things to do, but I don't know if i'll ever make it that far.

This is a problem a lot of people coming into Rift don't realize. There will not be people leveling up with you in the 20-50 range right now, most people are on their main characters in the new expansion, which was a great addition to the game IMO. This game has a strong playerbase, but none of them really are in the 40s at the moment. Instant adventures can get you to 50 in a few days, and get you the grouping/social interaction you crave. This is not an MMO for people about the journey, this is an MMO for people who like to run PvE Dungeons/World Events/ Factions/ PvP endgame.

Rift is heavily involved in it's end game, but the leveling process up until 50 is pretty shoddy, even most players will agree on that.

That being said, I think Rift  has the best end game of any themepark MMO to date, and a lot of the level 60 players / old 50 players will tell you that.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    The only reason I don't play Rift now is because there are too many decent F2P options for me now. If it goes F2P, it will be my go to themepark mmo. But, as long as I have GW2, Lotro and AoC to play for free, I will stick with them.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by catlana

Rift is a lot of fun. I have been impressed by the Devs. The Rift Devs are simply great at keeping content coming out.

But Rift isnt great at keeping their devs.

Odd choice of a post to necro.  I thought for a second Trion rehired this guy to make another year of these columns.  Too bad, he was awesome.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Odd choice of a post to necro.  I thought for a second Trion rehired this guy to make another year of these columns.  Too bad, he was awesome.

Actually it was a pretty good choice to necro since a new expansion has come out and there has been a large influx of newer players/ returning players. Pretty relevant at the moment.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Actually it was a pretty good choice to necro since a new expansion has come out and there has been a large influx of newer players/ returning players. Pretty relevant at the moment.

The "new" expansion is 3 months old now.   LOTRO has seen a larger influx of new and returning players over the past few months because of the Hobbit (and their expansion isnt that much older than Rift), but their fans arent going and necroing old threads.

ANd necroing a thread entitled "twice burned" seems like its a negative thread, as in tried Rift a second time, twice burned.  Not a good message to send if trying to attract returning plyers.