Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Guild Wars 2 vs TERA

Comments

• raazmanraazman Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by Garrok1

KK. Sorry, but I don't see how this article works. Tera was terrible. Literally, I rage quitted. The combat system, which is shitty in comparison to a good action game only held my attention for a few minutes.  The characters were ridiculous: I had a dragon guy in a fucking blue blouse hitting people with an axe, an elf whose armor is underwear, and a fucking weird man-rabbit. The only redeeming quality for me was the graphics, but graphics don't mean anything when I spend LITERALLY 4 fucking quests killing the same damn mobs. Oh those tree guys you just killed? Go kill 10 more, but this time get their hearts instead of their toes. WTF? The quests were plain BORING, and no really cruddy "action combat" system is going to make and break the game for me. Why? Because the action combat system is terrible. Just terrible. Maybe if it brought an action combat system someone would expect from a newly released title these days, but it doesn't-and just because it is in an MMO doesn't justify it. Shitty Asian game built off of a lacking combat system that fails to deliver. Will go free to play after people realize that they are tired of terrible hack and slash.

Your words, although somewhat disturbing, make me ponder my choice in buying the game which I haven't recieved yet! Oh well, I will play it anyway and decide for myself. I played in the beta up until those trees you described and the 1st beta and then I played a little on the 3rd beta starting at level 20 but didn't get to play long. Thank you for your vulgar comments. :)

I don't know why, but I found this hilarious.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by escarreta

Tera is the only game P2P with cash shop, nice innovation......

Is it?  I thought there were others... maybe SWTOR only toyed with the idea.

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Great, perfect score, you said 2 things and they are both wrong:

1) Tera has no cash shop atm.

2) WoW has a cash shop, just to name another p2p game.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Eir_S

Is it?  I thought there were others... maybe SWTOR only toyed with the idea.

WoW, TSW, Fallen Earth...

Honestly, I'm looking through a list and so many of the games have gone F2P with a sub option. In these games, you can choose to pay a sub and there is a still a cash shop, but they are not strict P2P titles. So yeah, not that many left.

Edit: Wait... is Fallen Earth free now? BRB, playing Fallen Earth.

• HoramHoram Member Posts: 16

Correct me if I'm wrong, which I'm willing to admit is more likely than not..

But I tried the GW2 beta for a day and I'm wondering if there was something else to the questing? Because all I got out of it was nearly an exact rip-off of public quests from Warhammer Online. While I don't mind them, the whole "revolutionary" questing experience people keep talking about has me scratching my head as I kept getting the "I've been there, done that" feeling.

They're talking about something else, right?

Also, I play Tera and also plan on giving plenty of my time to GW2.. and somehow D3 and still finding time for work and eating. Oh, and sleeping I guess.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Originally posted by raazman

Originally posted by Garrok1

KK. Sorry, but I don't see how this article works. Tera was terrible. Literally, I rage quitted. The combat system, which is shitty in comparison to a good action game only held my attention for a few minutes.  The characters were ridiculous: I had a dragon guy in a fucking blue blouse hitting people with an axe, an elf whose armor is underwear, and a fucking weird man-rabbit. The only redeeming quality for me was the graphics, but graphics don't mean anything when I spend LITERALLY 4 fucking quests killing the same damn mobs. Oh those tree guys you just killed? Go kill 10 more, but this time get their hearts instead of their toes. WTF? The quests were plain BORING, and no really cruddy "action combat" system is going to make and break the game for me. Why? Because the action combat system is terrible. Just terrible. Maybe if it brought an action combat system someone would expect from a newly released title these days, but it doesn't-and just because it is in an MMO doesn't justify it. Shitty Asian game built off of a lacking combat system that fails to deliver. Will go free to play after people realize that they are tired of terrible hack and slash.

Your words, although somewhat disturbing, make me ponder my choice in buying the game which I haven't recieved yet! Oh well, I will play it anyway and decide for myself. I played in the beta up until those trees you described and the 1st beta and then I played a little on the 3rd beta starting at level 20 but didn't get to play long. Thank you for your vulgar comments. :)

I don't know why, but I found this hilarious.

Me too! Korean game makers see the world as "man-rabbits"? Well-I just don't know. ;)

• AbsoluteTerrAbsoluteTerr Member Posts: 2

The Guild Wars 2 PQ's scale according to players participating, and have branching outcomes which may trigger different phases / events afterwards.

That's really the big difference I think, other than in WAR PQ's sometimes distracted people from single quests. In GW2 the PVE is built with this in mind, so that's all you have.

FWIW - GW2 closed beta and onwards strongly diluted my MMO craving for other games. Still looking for a F2P time-waster until release though.

• ElVisitanteElVisitante Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Sythion

Originally posted by corpusc

the point is, WE are helped by BOTH games..... regardless of whether we;

like them both,...... DISLIKE them both,...... or any OTHER combination. 

their very existence is a BIG HELP to the MMO "genre".

Disagree. Nearly every MMO since 2005 has basically been "Copy WoW's details, implement them less skillfully, and add the new gameplay feature x, and the new option y."

TERA: copy WoW's details, implement them horrendously (the worst questing out of any game I've ever played, including Eastern FTP games), adding real time action combat and the option to engage in an end game political system.

This does not help the MMO genre. If you're going to change base gameplay, change the entire F*ing gameplay details from the ground up to make the experience cohesive. I applaud ArenaNet for being the only ones who seem to have realized this.

So if you change one thing, you have to change everything? Mmk. Change just for the sake of change is bad.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Originally posted by Dawnbr3aker

saying Tera combat system is light-years away from others isnt it a little too much? I admit I am a gw2 fan, but I had much more fun playing GW2 beta than Tera beta. Everything i enjoyed much more over Tera. I didnt play Tera beta though, maybe it gets better, idk. Maybe it takes more getting use to to enjoy the game. But its just not for me I guess.

I agree. I realize that different people like different thing (shocking, I know), but that kind of hyperbole isn't helpful in what would consider to be a professional review. You can argue that GW2 is a tab target game, except it's not. You don't have to be tabbed on to your target to damage it. If you are tabbed on to your target and are either too far away or not facing them then you can use your ability but it will be wasted. Thera is some animation lock in game but it is extremely limited.

Tera's aim is interesting but the lack of localized damage for me means it doesn't go far enough IMO. If you could, say, target an arm and cripple it, I would say that makes it "light years ahead". The combat lock is typical for this type of genre and many people say it's an integral part of the strategy. This means you don't spam abilities. I would argue that in GW2 you CAN spam abilities off of cooldown but this is not optimal play as they are designed to be used situationally.

At any rate, some people will like one, some the other, some will like both. In their own way they both try and change the genre which is helpful. Setting them up in a "head to head" competition doesn't make a lot of sense and because people tend to be so passionate about what they like, and so biased about what they don't like, discussion is challenging at best.

Any game with aoe spells mean you don't have to be tabbed on to your target to damage it, doesn't mean it's not a tab target game. Also every game has reach for its abilities, if you're beyond the max distance the ability won't hit. Still doesn't make it not a tab-target game. Situational ability use is also nothing new.

If TERA's combat is crappy, as one poster said, GW2's is absolute trash.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by ElVisitante

Any game with aoe spells mean you don't have to be tabbed on to your target to damage it, doesn't mean it's not a tab target game. Also every game has reach for its abilities, if you're beyond the max distance the ability won't hit. Still doesn't make it not a tab-target game. Situational ability use is also nothing new.

You not liking GW2's combat system, which I would guess you have no personal experience with, does not mean by default that Tera has a good one.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

You not liking GW2's combat system, which I would guess you have no personal experience with, does not mean by default that Tera has a good one.

First, your guess is wrong. Also, the general consensus seems to be that TERA has better combat and GW2 has better quests. That is my opinion as well, having played both games. There are no "by default" conclusions being drawn here, and I don't know why you would even say that.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

First, your guess is wrong. Also, the general consensus seems to be that TERA has better combat and GW2 has better quests. That is my opinion as well, having played both games. There are no "by default" conclusions being drawn here, and I don't know why you would even say that.

My apologies, clearly I was mistaken. What should one conclude based on your statement then?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

My apologies, clearly I was mistaken. What should one conclude based on your statement then?

That I think TERA's combat is better and GW2's quests are better? I suppose specifically stating my opinion isn't clear enough for some people.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I tried asking this on a similar discussion thread but it seems to have died. So here it is.

"This is a serious question and I'm not trying to start a heated discussion. My copy of Tera should be here Tuesday now and I'm looking forward to it and it's PvP. My question is GW2 has objectives in WvWvW like protecting/aquiring supplies, destroying/holding keeps, etc. In Tera what do you do other than smack one another? I watched a couple good Guild vs Guild videos but didn't really understand much more about it. "

This is a feature that is still being designed and has yet to be fully implemented.

The PvP system for TERA is still in the development stage. TERA will most likely offer different server types. Battlegrounds and PvP rewards will be an important part of the endgame content of TERA.

This lists what is currently in place:

http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/pvp

Thank you for that link. i have been doing even more searching and that link does help. I am puzzled at finding out that PvP is glorified by Tera players but you gain no XP from it.  So I guess the only way to level is to quest and grind. I'm ok with that but to me it's a step backwards! I was hoping this new combat system would mean something new in the way I would level....WoW even added xp in battlegrounds around patch 3.2 or so. hmmm

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Wow this has turned into a hate Tera thread, who saw that coming............  

I on the other hand am enjoying Tera and will enjoy GW2 when it releases. I don't have this strange need to show loyalty to one game over another, or to bad mouth one game or it's playerbase if I prefer another game.. Guess I'm just strange like that.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• bhimabhima Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by Fisud

I think as any busyness, your personal opnion goes accordingly with what you "have"to say so you get that extra bonus by the end of the month... from what you guys said, you made seem that TERA is inferior to gw2 in any way other then combat... and since many ppl are already givin up on tera because they cant really get the combat system right, if anybody takes in consideration what you said here, they will all go for gw2... thats BS...

I haven't plaid gw2, but most of the TERA comunity did, and thats a topic well discussed on zone chat... and most, not to say, like 80-90% of ppl really didn't thought all that of gw2, everyone is saying that its just over-hyped, didn't really met anyones expectations... and thats the word from the players... not from some so called "expert" that gets cash to say this or that...

I like this site/comunity alot, so please, don't make me (and others) hate you to promote 1 mmo... sadly most ppl don't take their own conclusions, they just folow what the ppl they think are experts say... be fair, or you're just taking profit of this comunity...

Here's a telling fact:  NO other game was being discussed in GW2's zone chat except for GW2.

Unlight, if I could +1 you I would. This was so damn true. I just remember playing the BWE and not a single person talked about other games, just how awesome the game they were playing was.

Originally posted by bhima

I think as any busyness, your personal opnion goes accordingly with what you "have"to say so you get that extra bonus by the end of the month... from what you guys said, you made seem that TERA is inferior to gw2 in any way other then combat... and since many ppl are already givin up on tera because they cant really get the combat system right, if anybody takes in consideration what you said here, they will all go for gw2... thats BS...

I haven't plaid gw2, but most of the TERA comunity did, and thats a topic well discussed on zone chat... and most, not to say, like 80-90% of ppl really didn't thought all that of gw2, everyone is saying that its just over-hyped, didn't really met anyones expectations... and thats the word from the players... not from some so called "expert" that gets cash to say this or that...

I like this site/comunity alot, so please, don't make me (and others) hate you to promote 1 mmo... sadly most ppl don't take their own conclusions, they just folow what the ppl they think are experts say... be fair, or you're just taking profit of this comunity...

Here's a telling fact:  NO other game was being discussed in GW2's zone chat except for GW2.

Unlight, if I could +1 you I would. This was so damn true. I just remember playing the BWE and not a single person talked about other games, just how awesome the game they were playing was.

Obviously, because GW2 has the benefit of building on a previous game and the bottomless pockets of ANet and NCSoft to advertise it, making it the most hyped MMO out there. You don't talk about less hyped games in more hyped games, you talk about more hyped games in less hyped games. Hence, why no one was talking about Tera/TSW/etc. Plenty of people were talking about how awesome TERA was in the TERA beta too. But, because it was a less hyped game, it had people talking about GW2 in it too (and subsequently saying how disappointing it was).

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Obviously, because GW2 has the benefit of building on a previous game and the bottomless pockets of ANet and NCSoft to advertise it, making it the most hyped MMO out there. You don't talk about less hyped games in more hyped games, you talk about more hyped games in less hyped games. Hence, why no one was talking about Tera/TSW/etc. Plenty of people were talking about how awesome TERA was in the TERA beta too. But, because it was a less hyped game, it had people talking about GW2 in it too (and subsequently saying how disappointing it was).

How come no one was talking about WoW then? Every MMO I have played has people talking about WoW. Every beta I have been in, every launch, there is always someone comparing a game to WoW. People did it in TERA and SWTOR before that. People still probably talk about WoW in those two games.

I have not seen anyone talking about WoW in GW2 or any other game for that matter. You can't honestly tell me that WoW in not hyped.

Originally posted by heartless

How come no one was talking about WoW then? Every MMO I have played has people talking about WoW. Every beta I have been in, every launch, there is always someone comparing a game to WoW. People did it in TERA and SWTOR before that. People still probably talk about WoW in those two games.

I have not seen anyone talking about WoW in GW2 or any other game for that matter. You can't honestly tell me that WoW in not hyped.

I heard people talking about WoW when I played. Of course, it was all bad, but then again I hardly hear a conversation nowadays where talk about WoW isn't bad.

• GamerxyGamerxy Member Posts: 5

Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 scores. Want to counter it Tera? ;D

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I was thinking of buying Tera last night until gw2 came out so i watched a few gameplay videos. After seeing the panda and huge swords and question marks over everyone's head I couldn't do it. Not the game for me. I'm glad some other people seem to like it though. To each their own.

This is not a hard concept to figure out. Almost all other MMOs betas these days work on a pre-order(i.e. as little as $5) to get in or by grabbing keys from random sites and give aways. That equals a lot of lookie loos who are there just to try the game for the hell of it and a lot of people who are there just to be ass hats in the general chat. GW2 however requires a full commitment of pre-purchase, therefore the people you are playing with in the betas are mostly people who are truly there for GW2, simple concept realy.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Lazarus71

This is not a hard concept to figure out. Almost all other MMOs betas these days work on a pre-order(i.e. as little as $5) to get in or by grabbing keys from random sites and give aways. That equals a lot of lookie loos who are there just to try the game for the hell of it and a lot of people who are there just to be ass hats in the general chat. GW2 however requires a full commitment of pre-purchase, therefore the people you are playing with in the betas are mostly people who are truly there for GW2, simple concept realy.

Except that ArenaNet gave out a whole crap load of beta keys at PAX East.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Very true, and those weren't even all of the keys given out. Quite a few sites had keys they gave away, many of the sponsored livestreams had at least a couple keys to give away. Plus they allowed in some of the people who applied for beta w/ out pre-purchasing as well.

A lot of people seem to be forgetting that pre-purchasers weren't the only ones allowed in. They were just guarunteed access.

• KeefecoKeefeco Member Posts: 3

And the moment you've all been waiting for... The announcement of the 2012 MMO Game of the Year...  Give a round of applause for...   DIABLO 3!!!!  You can argue that Diablo isn't a MMO, You can argue that GW2 is better, You can argue that Tera is better, You can argue that both of those games are equal, You can even argue that both of them are better than every other game ever made prior to both of them and that it's worth playing both titles... BUT... In the midst of your arguing remember this...  Arguing over the internet is like being a contestant in the Special Olympics... No mater who wins or loses... You're still a retard...

Originally posted by aesperus

Very true, and those weren't even all of the keys given out. Quite a few sites had keys they gave away, many of the sponsored livestreams had at least a couple keys to give away. Plus they allowed in some of the people who applied for beta w/ out pre-purchasing as well.

A lot of people seem to be forgetting that pre-purchasers weren't the only ones allowed in. They were just guarunteed access.

I will stand by my statement that the people who played the beta were obviously more serious about cheking out the game and therefore were not acting the way I am speaking of. Let's be honest GW2 is looking like it's going to be an awesome MMO, but it has no magical power that keeps the types of people I'm talking about from acting like ass hats in general chat. It's not like they thought "Man I'm going to go in here and just act like a complete ass in the chat channel" then when they started playing thought " Wow this is so amazing, I will refrain from being a troll or jerk in the general chat!"