Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One game to rule them all, there can only be one

Honestly though, these days there is only one game for each genre.   It seems like the CoD sliced the head off of the last game that challenged it as did WoW.  

In my opinion both games need to be thrown in the fiery lava pit of Mount Doom. They need to be destroyed because of the mutant offspring they spawn.  High rewards for little effort may be addicting but leaves me without the feeling of accomplishment.  

And forget about monthly fees.  WoW went pay to win with their cash shop and CoD just sold an elite status that was once free.  

I put these two games together because of their popularity. Does popularity tell how good a game is? IMO no. 

A game's population tells you how easy the game is. The Witcher 2, by far the best RPG in years , and best looking game to date but not that much praise from the world.  Why? because it is hard.

Friends don't say "Hey I just killed the champion from so and so dungeon! It was hard to do!" anymore. No they cant say this because everyone and their grandma has done it with a quick roll of a keyboard. 

Which leads me to the casual gamer.  It seems players that were once hardcore are now forced to be casual because of people who want to play a game for 5 mins and feel godly. I know I say that skill> time played but it is not skill if one button is pressed to win.  Its like throwing a rock into a huge lake and calling that skill. 

Am I becoming the Louis Black of gaming? 

-I am here to perform logic

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Wow is p2w? Since when?

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Theonenoni

Honestly though, these days there is only one game for each genre.   It seems like the CoD sliced the head off of the last game that challenged it as did WoW.  

In my opinion both games need to be thrown in the fiery lava pit of Mount Doom. They need to be destroyed because of the mutant offspring they spawn.  High rewards for little effort may be addicting but leaves me without the feeling of accomplishment.  

And forget about monthly fees.  WoW went pay to win with their cash shop and CoD just sold an elite status that was once free.  

I put these two games together because of their popularity. Does popularity tell how good a game is? IMO no. 

A game's population tells you how easy the game is. The Witcher 2, by far the best RPG in years , and best looking game to date but not that much praise from the world.  Why? because it is hard.

Friends don't say "Hey I just killed the champion from so and so dungeon! It was hard to do!" anymore. No they cant say this because everyone and their grandma has done it with a quick roll of a keyboard. 

Which leads me to the casual gamer.  It seems players that were once hardcore are now forced to be casual because of people who want to play a game for 5 mins and feel godly. I know I say that skill> time played but it is not skill if one button is pressed to win.  Its like throwing a rock into a huge lake and calling that skill. 

How do you explain Demon Souls than ?

Super HC, and very very popular RPG (on consoles)

Or all the MOBA games? Also very HC.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

WoW went pay to win with their cash shop and CoD just sold an elite status that was once free.  

Stopped reading there. You need to check what pay-2-win means and compare it to WoW again.

• HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220

Originally posted by dubyahite

Wow is p2w? Since when?

You pay for the sub and then you win.

Yes I played SWTOR.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I disagree with the thread title, so I really can't comment, I suppose.  If I stop to think of all the genres of games....then I disagree even MORE.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Ive played The Witcher 2 also and i enjoyed it alot but becouse of limited gameworld small maps and rather aweward combat and movement plus last part of game was rather short its ok game 9/10. But im more for freedom huge world and about 300+ hours gameplay minimum plus billions of mods SKYRIM is league on its own and get from me 9.5/10.

TheWitcher 2 was just to short to limited only around 50hours gameplay i realy liked it but just to limited.

Played both PC version and still play skyrim becouse of its mods and not have discovered everything while i have already almost 300hours in the game.

• Tomm-eTomm-e Member Posts: 27

I disagree with the principle of your argument that there can only be one game to a genre simply because there is not just one game to a genre, break free from the standard garbage and go find some good games that you like.

The main reason for,

No they cant say this because everyone and their grandma has done it with a quick roll of a keyboard.

Is because everyone and their grandma are now playing video games. Audiences have changed and so will games. Games which are seen as "hardcore" now are games where you will lose, a lot, to me that is not "hardcore" but just unimaginative, lets look back on games like Mega Man, you are slowly introduced to new features during game play and are made to find them out yourself, not some silly message telling you what to do. A well designed game will teach you to play the game but by you playing there game. Game developers have been missing that recently and it is getting annoying. This video by Egoraptor is very well done and addresses my point so much better, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

Ignoring my rant, if it even made sense and these are rants are happening way to often. Don't complain to the developers if you do not like there game, don't like CowDeeDoody? Don't by it, when people will finally start getting tired with the rehashing of the same old formula they will move on.

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Ive played The Witcher 2 also and i enjoyed it alot but becouse of limited gameworld small maps and rather aweward combat and movement plus last part of game was rather short its ok game 9/10. But im more for freedom huge world and about 300+ hours gameplay minimum plus billions of mods SKYRIM is league on its own and get from me 9.5/10.

TheWitcher 2 was just to short to limited only around 50hours gameplay i realy liked it but just to limited.

Played both PC version and still play skyrim becouse of its mods and not have discovered everything while i have already almost 300hours in the game.

I personally enjoyed The Witcher 2 so much more than Skyrim, however I am bias due to Skyrim has to directly compete with my memories of Morrowind, which are pretty, well good! Now regarding modifications it is nice for the developers to put in the ability to modify the game, which is sadly becoming so very rare, but the real reason behind there modification and why you still might be playing the game is because a community and passion filled fans who devote there time to creating modifications, in all right praise the team for making Skyrim fun, engaging and including modification support but please do not praise them for the actual modification or the fun you derive from them as this solely belongs to the person how spent there unpaid time creating something for the community.

stylin'