Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headline: Elder Scrolls Online - The most negatively received "reveal" in MMORPG history

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by killion81

Elder Scrolls Online pretty much summed up in their marketing catch phrase.  Yeah, they sure 'get it'.

Along with Cyrodiil and parts of Elswyr, what's your point?

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

This is just crazy to see the third big budget mmo trying to follow shamelessly the exact path of WoW. I'm happy to see gamers all over the world raging back at Bethesda. Studios really need to stop going the milking route. Or even stop thinking gamers are stupid enough to eat the same food for a decade.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by Classicstar

Ill repeat the obvious again if all rumors are true don't buy THE GAME and believe me they will be HURT the most.

Wallet with $ or € is very powerful TOOL.

Solution to this problem if thats case is so simple don't understand why you all so upset realy?

We don't even know if they continuing the SOLO series?

The answer as you suggest is easy.  Its the self-control of the game-buying masses that's the hard part.  Come on we all know it; 95% of the people who are disappointed with Dark World of Scrolls Craft: The Elder Republic will buy the game anyway for their 30-60 day new MMO fix.  It's just how the mmorpg genre operates and until the masses stop this behavior, studios have zero incentive to offer even an ounce of creativity and originality to the genre.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

they should split up the mmorpg genre into 2 genres, MMORPG'S and WOW'S, So next time they are gonig to announce a new mmo they can say, "

hey guys were all pumped because were about to reveal our exciting new ip, An Elder Scrolls WOW"

That 1 line would instantly let the community know if they want to follow the game or not in 1 sentence.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by deathshroud

they should split up the mmorpg genre into 2 genres, MMORPG'S and WOW'S, So next time they are gonig to announce a new mmo they can say, "

hey guys were all pumped because were about to reveal our exciting new ip, An Elder Scrolls WOW"

That 1 line would instantly let the community know if they want to follow the game or not in 1 sentence.

I agree, and if there is any question what so ever in a game that they cant decide what genre a game would fall in, it would be the WOW genre.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

Originally posted by Xzen

Originally posted by kingotnw

Originally posted by morlock9

Welcome to next week's headline across the gaming community.

Regardless of the state of the recently revealed game or its ability to stand on it's own as an MMO, the development team has departed significantly from the features that characterized previous Elder Scrolls games and has resulted in a backlash from the fan base.

With the leak of some detailed information on game play, many have begun to wonder if the title of Elder Scrolls Online should be replaced with something more fitting a traditional MMO "Based upon the lore of the Elder Scrolls Series".

At a time when most MMO's benifit from exciting announcments, ESO is already being heralded as a falure for lack of vision. This appears to be the most negatively received "reveal" in the history of the modern MMORPG.         

Makes no sense at all...

Final Fantasy Online games are far different than their console versions and there is tons of those game...

UO is very different from the crap ton of the offline Ultima Games...

WoW is different than the original Warcraft games...

...and on and on... It's an MMORPG. Certain features are not 'optional'. 

Well I think the problem is at this point Dark Fall seems to be more of what people would expect an ES mmo to play like than ESO. I am not talking about the sandbox elements or FFA PvP.

nonsense. Darkfall and MO are both PvP Focused MMO. TES isnt PvP focused, but totally PvE focused. Hey it didnt even have multiplayer to PvP. Darkfall has no Balance between PvP and PvE. thats why it fails. FFA ruins any and all MMO. Glad TESO's developers realized this.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Regardless of the state of the recently revealed game or its ability to stand on it's own as an MMO, the development team has departed significantly from the features that characterized previous Elder Scrolls games and has resulted in a backlash from the fan base.

With the leak of some detailed information on game play, many have begun to wonder if the title of Elder Scrolls Online should be replaced with something more fitting a traditional MMO "Based upon the lore of the Elder Scrolls Series".

At a time when most MMO's benifit from exciting announcments, ESO is already being heralded as a falure for lack of vision. This appears to be the most negatively received "reveal" in the history of the modern MMORPG.         

Makes no sense at all...

Final Fantasy Online games are far different than their console versions and there is tons of those game...

Well I think the problem is at this point Dark Fall seems to be more of what people would expect an ES mmo to play like than ESO. I am not talking about the sandbox elements or FFA PvP.

nonsense. Darkfall and MO are both PvP Focused MMO. TES isnt PvP focused, but totally PvE focused. Hey it didnt even have multiplayer to PvP. Darkfall has no Balance between PvP and PvE. thats why it fails. FFA ruins any and all MMO. Glad TESO's developers realized this.

im still of the belief that its possible to balance PVP  and  PVE in an open world full loot mmo, with risk vs reward and instentives to be good. But both MO and DFO dont achieve that blaance. But that doesnt mean Its not possible.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Warmaker

"Not overly popular PC title thus the fanbase is rather small" - Are you serious?

Of course I am.

If you compare PC sales of Skyrim vs mainstream MMO customer base, it is indeed small. It is not that hard to pick which audience you focus on if you want to make an MMO.

While Skyrim reached indeed high sales, only about 15% are credited to PC platform. As I said before, it would be very different if TESO was released as a multi-platform MMO but it is not, therefore it is very understandable if they go for mainstream title.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

What ruined Darkfall and Mortal Online was that they are the typical pure sandbox games developed by a small independent developer with little to no budget. It has nothing to do with them being PVP based or having FFA PVP.

Also, TES:O is PVP based, just on factions and not FFA.

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

I am happy and excited about the elderscrolls online. Will it be a good or bad game, we will see in the future.

Why be dissapointed in advance? Saying "OMG please, no elder scrolls online" became popular really fast.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Its an MMO with Elder Scroll STAMP on it thats all it has nothing to do with TES solo games.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Makes no sense at all...

Says the one who hates sandbox in general lol.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

they took away everything that made it elder scrolls without those things their game becomes the hallmark of  generic

fantasythemes the only thing its missng to make it the most generic thing since wow is dwarfs (which they'll probably add eventually)

these lazy developers keep going  back to the same copy and paste method (bioware, ZeniMax) while the guy there trying to copy (blizzard) is moving forward  with their new game but these dodo birds keep jumping off the cliff

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by gilgamesh42

they took away everything that made it elder scrolls without those things their game becomes the hallmark of  generic

fantasythemes the only thing its missng to make it the most generic thing since wow is dwarfs (which they'll probably add eventually)

these lazy developers keep going  back to the same copy and paste method (bioware, ZeniMax) while the guy there trying to copy (blizzard) is moving forward  with their new game but these dodo birds keep jumping off the cliff

Exaggerate some more please. 

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Gdemami

The "true TES MMO" is there already, it is called Darkfall. You hate it too? Well, you only got what you asked for.

If Darkfall were a AAA MMO that wasn't FFA PvP.. it'd be a completely different game.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by Chrome1980

exaggerate? based on current information no,no i did not

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Vorthanion

...and you're basing that on the responses from the boards on this website?  No surprise there, knowing that many of the lurkers here are devoted to sandbox / action games.  I don't see much if any negativity on other websites in regards to the release, with exception to MMORPG.com as usual.

I agree,its mostly on this site and a few on the mainm TES site.Funny thing is all these people on this site complaining will play the game,curiosity will get the better of them.

For those that have a problem,dont play the game,its as simple as that.

exaggerate? based on current information no,no i did not

Yes you are exaggerating. I too have read the features list....

Open dungeons feature of tes feature of teso

Just wander off and find objectives, secret places, quests etc. feature of tes feature of teso

Levels feature of both games

Theif, mage, fighter guilds & dark brotherhood to join feature of both games

Star sign stones - feature of both games

Blocking / sprinting & stamina bar in combat - feature of both games

Soul stones and enchanting - feature of both games

Huge world - feature of both games

Non linear gampe play and world design feature of both games.

So nope not EVERYTHING is removed from TESO.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

It's a really overt cash in, I think.  The only way we know it's Elder Scrolls is because we've been told it's Elder Scrolls.  I'll be incredibly surprised if they're able to change that by launch, but I'm doubting it.

There isn't enough traditional Elder Scrolls to attract those fans and there probably wont be enough of a deviation from standard MMO fare for a fan of the genre to care about.

They'll keep drivin' the genre like a stake into the dirt, though.  It'll be homogenized with every other genre before too long and what we *almost* had will never have the possibility to exist again.

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212

After playing Tera, pretty sure hotbar/tab target mmos are finished for me.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Originally posted by deathshroud

Haha, yes. Actually, for studios to get the message, I wish some review blogs like Kotaku would do that.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Originally posted by Loktofeit

It's predictable, sad and ridiculous.

It's you who is sad and ridiculous. You keep pissing on your own gaming genre by bending over, grabbing your ankles and accepting every shit product they decide to shove up your ass.

There's a good reason why growing number of gamers think that MMORPG is synonymous with shit. You, and the likes of you, make sure it stays that way.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by colddog04

I blame SWTOR.

Uhm, they started making ESO just a year after Bioware started on TOR and the mechanics of TOR was a secret for the first 2 years of ESOs development.

So unless Bethesda actually had spies in Bioware there is no chanse they taken that much from TOR.

Nah, the problem is that they did put one of the DaoC creators in charge, and he put the work into PvP instead of making a PvE sandbox as the singleplayer games are. I am sure he gets the PvP right but he kinda misseed the point that Bethesdas fans are a different breed of players.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Just wander off and find objectives, secret places, quests etc. feature of tes feature of teso

Don't cloud the issue with facts.

Spoiler: This is meant as a joke.

We want to do a pre-emptive hate-bomb to express our feelings of hurt and grief over SWTOR.

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

Don't cloud the issue with facts.

Spoiler: This is meant as a joke.

We want to do a pre-emptive hate-bomb to express our feelings of hurt and grief over SWTOR.

Just had to be done..... i am sick of people exaggerating that TESO is nothing like TES games and that EVERYTHING that makes TESO an ES game has been removed.

-Releasing 2013 for PC/Mac

-Developed by ZeniMax Online Studios

-MMORPG

-250 Person Team

-Started development in 2007

-"This time, saving the world from the awakening of ancient evil is only the beginning. What happens when hundreds or thousands of prophesied heroes all think that they should be Emperor?"

-The game is fully voice acted

-Third person perspective

-The game uses a hotbar to activate skills like other traditional MMOs

-Visually it looks like other Hero Engine MMOs like SWTOR

-The general art style is kind of like RIFT or Everquest 2

-You can't be a werewolf or vampire

-Crafting, alchemy, and soul stones will exist in an unrevealed form

-There will be Daedric Princes like Molag Bal, the primary antagonist, and Vaermina, "whose sphere of influence extends to the dream world and the nightmares of mortals", along with some unnamed others

-Constellations will be in the game a la Mundus stones (which work like guardian stones) and also give the answer to things like block puzzles where you step on the blocks in a certain order

-Tons of towns ranging from Imperial City, Windhelm, Daggerfall, Sentinel, Mournhold, Ebonheart, Elden Root, Shornhelm, Evermore, Riften, and a lot more

-Radiant AI will not be present

-There will be mounts, but no flying mounts

-Fast travel exists in the game in the form of wayshrines, which are also your ressurection point, and you can teleport from one wayshrine to any other wayshrine you have already visited

-There most likely won't be dragons

-Sneaking will be in the game, but how it is implemented is undecided

-They're not talking about pets right now

-There will be no player housing

-There will be no NPC romances or marriage

-"It needs to be comfortable for people who are coming in from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms, but it also has to appeal to Skyrim players."

-Features most of Tamriel including Skyrim, Morrowind, Summerset Isle, and Elseweyr.

-"Not all provinces are included in their entirety; Zenimax Online is keeping large areas inaccessible to save them for use as expansion content. Nonetheless, every major area is represented to some extent."

-As an example, Windhelm is fully implemented, but Winterhold and the mages' college won't be in at launch.

-There are three player factions:

--Ebonheart Pact: The Nords, Dunmer, and Argoninans

--Aldmeri Dominion: Altmer, Bosmer, and Khajit

--Daggerfall Covenant: Bretons, Redguard, and Orcs

-"Recreateing the freedom Elder Scrolls players expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics Zenimax Online is using for this MMO would be impossible without changing the way that players interact with the world."

-As such, the game uses a hubless design

-For example, you don't necessarily pick up a quest to do the following, but if you kill all the necromancers in an undead barrow, a shade you free at the end will reward you.

-However, to help you find these events, various NPCs you talk to will tell you where they are happening and put a marker pointing them on your map, which is obviously totally different than receiving a quest.

-Not all quests will have NPCs that indicate where they are

-The game uses MMORPG genre standards such as classes, experience points, and other traditional MMORPG progression mechanics, but they try to present it "around the core fantasy presented by traditiona Elder Scrolls games" such as traveling around and righting wrongs or seeking riches

-The game world is very large relative to Skyrim

-You can explore almost anything you can see

-the game is set 1000 years in the past

-You can't master every discipline

-The imperials are an enemy to all three factions, lead by the noble Tharn family and the King of Worms, Mannimarco, and are hatching a plot to take over all of Tamriel

-But BEHOLD, Mannicmarco is scheming with Daedric prince Molag Bal to take over the world behind the Tharn's back

-Also, your soul has already been stolen by Molag Bal, which is the reason you can come back from death over and over again, and the starting plot is that you're fighting Molag Bal to get your soul back from him

-Hitting the level cap takes about 120 hours

-Each faction has their own leveling content

-An example quest is the story of Camlorn, where you have to stop evil werewolves who have their eyes set on conquest. First, you have to do a "standard MMO kill and collection quest" to sto ghosts from attacking some mages and soldiers. The ghosts are reliving a battle that the werewolf leader was in. You summon a ghost to find out what's going on, and the ghost tells you to wear her dead husband's armor to re-experience the battle he died in. You then get transported hundreds of years into the past to fight this battle. During this battle, you can choose to save the dead man's wife or to pursue the Werewolf leader. ZeniMax chooses to save the man's wife, who then tells you that the Werewolf leader is weak to fire. This information is helpful when you fight him, but you don't actually need to do this quest before fighting the werewolf leader if you don't want to. Basically, you can skip parts of quest chains if you want, but you get some benefit for playing the whole thing. Also, whenever you go back to the town you just saved, everything there hails you as a hero.

-The game features three faction PvP where you fight to take over keeps and use trebuchets and other siege weapons to help do it. At the high end, you can have 100 v 100 battles. There are also farms and mines you can try to take over. Mots of this happens in Cyrodiil where your goal is to take over and hold the Imperial City to get faction wide bonuses for it. If you have played Dark Age of Camelot, this probably sounds familiar. For those who haven't, essentially the entire zone is a giant PvP area will all sorts of points of interest.

-The most accomplished PvP player on your faction becomes emperor whenever you take over the capital

-When you take over Cyrodiil, you will be able to adventure in it as a hostile city a la Kvatch

-The game will have raids and heroic modes for its dungeons as end game content in addition to faction PvP

-There is also balanced PvP for people who prefer eSports

-The game will also have high end public dungeons

-Public dungeons are essentially instances that aren't actually instanced, so anyone can be in them, so imagine a World of Warcraft dungeon that featured everyone on the server in the area instead of just your party

-There are standard instanced dungeons as well

-Back on the topic of the skillbar, you have a limited number of skills you can use at any given time, and can change them whenever you're out of combat

-The number of skills is equal to (paraphrase) "a light and heavy attack with your current weapon that take up the first two slots, a few more spells related to your class, and an ultimate in the last slot".

-The ultimate is used once you gain enough finesse, which is earned by doing well in combat

-You also get a bonus loot chest if you're soloing and max your finesse, and you can also build finesse by comboing with other players

-For example, a rogue can put oil on the ground that a mage can set on fire

-A fighter can also spin in the firestorm a mage puts down, which sends out fireballs

-If you've seen Guild Wars 2 videos, the above will seem familiar

-You can't combo with the abilities of enemy players though, so if an enemy faction player drops an oil slick, you can't set it on fire

-The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood will be presented, but in what form isn't detailed as their contnet is hard to recreate in an MMO setting

-NPCs will try to work together and use player like behavior when fighting you, and (at least to my understanding) have stamina as well

-They want the AI to be good, so instead of enemies in a dungeon sitting around and waiting to be pulled, you will be attacked by the entire room and they will try to react to how you are playing

-The claim was not demo'ed to Game Informer

-You destroy dark anchors to gain reputation with the Fighter's Guild. They are large hooks that fall from the sky pseudorandomly and have Daedric guardians next to them. They are easier to kill with a group, and once destroyed, everyone who participated gets a reputation boost with the Fighter's Guild, and eventually nets you rewards like new skills and abilities.

-The combat model will not be real time due to latency

-The combat is based around a stamina bar which you can use to sprint, block, interrupt, and break incapacitating effects

-Blocking is the primary focus of these abilities, and can do things like stopping the secondary effects of attacks such as an ice spell slowing you

-Stamina also applies to PvP, so stamina management (and wearing down your enemy's stamina) is important, as your crowd control abilities might be on a long cooldown, and if you use them before the enemy player runs out of stamina, they will probably just block the effect

-ZeniMax feels that having the stamina bar will help break down the Holy Trinity as stamina allows you to do things like tank

-However, healing is still a big part of the game

-There is also no aggro mechanic in the game, which is part of the reason stamina blocking and healing exist