Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Look at it as DAoC 2 with TES lore, not Skyrim Online.

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by reap3rzx

Originally posted by bishbosh

Originally posted by reap3rzx

Rules they can't break or it's going to fail big time:

• Gear grinds through Tiers.

• Small, instanced zones that break apart Tamriel (Think SWTOR)

• Quest Hubs

• The NEED to raid to participate and be successful in PvP (gear issue again)

• Skill rotations.

• Complicated gear stats

• The lack of natural grouping

• 'Competing' in PvE.

hey SWTOR did all of these and it failed big time.

i think doing these things is what makes games fail because these things are old and boring. these things will be ultra old and boring in 2013.

You must have not read my post, lol.

Actually your post was just worded strangely and I can see where he got that from.

You basically said "Rules they can't break or it will fail"  and then listed things you think will make it fail?  Did you intend that as a list of bad things?  It comes across as a list of things that they must have if they don't want to fail. . maybe I failed at reading :)

Maybe list of things to avoid. . Rules they MUST break or it will fail etc.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• RophezRophez Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by termsy

You just compared basically every feature of TESO to GW2, so why the hell would anyone play TESO when they can play GW2? GW2 will be out at least a year prior to TESO, and their WvWvW is basically DAoC 2.

The whole rotating servers thing just seems really lame to me.  Also no names in the pvp zone and it also is kinda meaningless to the rest of the world.  The battle for the Imperial Seat sounds a lot more interesting, especially since you'll be able to build a reputation and grudges with your own server.  Sounds more like DAOC to me.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Originally posted by Rophez

You just compared basically every feature of TESO to GW2, so why the hell would anyone play TESO when they can play GW2? GW2 will be out at least a year prior to TESO, and their WvWvW is basically DAoC 2.

The whole rotating servers thing just seems really lame to me.  Also no names in the pvp zone and it also is kinda meaningless to the rest of the world.  The battle for the Imperial Seat sounds a lot more interesting, especially since you'll be able to build a reputation and grudges with your own server.  Sounds more like DAOC to me.

DAOC didnt have names in pvp zones either,

midgard invader, hibernia invader and Albion invader.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

DAOC was/is popular in these tight MMO circles.. but out of them? Most gamers havn't even heard of DAOC. This comparison isn't going to help with the bigger picture imo.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RophezRophez Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Istavaan

Yeah.. pretty sure you coule /emote things though and it would show your name.  I sure knew most of my (main) enemies pretty well by sight.  I can't see that happening with rotating servers, though.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Its funny how much mis-infomation regarding DaoC so allow me to clear it up

Obviously the best part of camelot was RvR because that was the main focus of the game because if you wanted to kill A.I mobs to get stronger only to fight MORE A.I mobs you would be playing EQ.

Anybody that says Guidwars 2 is DoaC 2 doesnt know what they are talking about because any "true" DaoC player knows the best thing about DoaC was the notoriety. No, you couldnt see the name of your foe unless he very high realm rank which then it lets "everybody" visually see your name ... even still, if you were attacked by me you couldnt see my name but would you see attack spam (Truelevel hits you for 100). You could truely make a name for yourself if you had the skill. Website Camelot Herald tracked the progress of the realm and your char... people would chat about who they like and who they didnt like on ign.com

DoaC combat > everquest combat. you couldnt just spam skills or you would lose, you had to pay attention... (For example) If you parried you would hear the sound of a sword parring and depending on your class you would have a powerful attack you could follow up with. Positional attacks depending on what side of the foe you were on which have different effects.

Im not saying Gw2's WvWvW isnt good and I dont even know whats to become of ESO because I havent seen enough. I played GW and im glad the 2nd GW wont be like it... im going to wait a little after the release of gw2 to buy it due to the warhammer online debacle I was caught up in... Never again! Bottom line Guildwars is guildwars and Doac is daoc and ESO is ESO... simply having 3 factions doesnt make it a successor to anything

Originally posted by Rophez

Originally posted by Istavaan

Yeah.. pretty sure you coule /emote things though and it would show your name.  I sure knew most of my (main) enemies pretty well by sight.  I can't see that happening with rotating servers, though.

well it's beta, tell them about it and you never know it may be changed.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

in order to make a none tier/rank gear and gear grind based mmo, that game must have full loot, meaning that you must lose you're item when you die just like in UO, darkfall or at best, runescape, the game that lets you keep 3 items only upon death. Of course, in that case, banking will be a huge factor.

Thats my biggest hopes:

elder scrolls online:

full loot, open world pvp, clan bases and conquest, few items(no need of a clusterfuck like in wow). lore/story/intersting quest lines...

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

What is DAOC and why should this vindicate TESO from not being TES?

• termsytermsy Member Posts: 100

Originally posted by Truelevels.

Im not saying Gw2's WvWvW isnt good and I dont even know whats to become of ESO because I havent seen enough. I played GW and im glad the 2nd GW wont be like it... im going to wait a little after the release of gw2 to buy it due to the warhammer online debacle I was caught up in... Never again! Bottom line Guildwars is guildwars and Doac is daoc and ESO is ESO... simply having 3 factions doesnt make it a successor to anything

Except Guild Wars 2 really is almost exactly like DAoC. You clearly haven't played it. I've played both and it's basically a successor but better in my opinion.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Would rather have Skryim Online in a heartbeat.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Except Guild Wars 2 really is almost exactly like DAoC. You clearly haven't played it. I've played both and it's basically a successor but better in my opinion.

How is a 3 faction game where each faction has their own realm to be in where they level the same as GW2?  The only thing they have in common is 3 way pvp and that resets every 2 weeks which makes it even less like DAOC.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Originally posted by niceguy3978

How is a 3 faction game where each faction has their own realm to be in where they level the same as GW2?  The only thing they have in common is 3 way pvp and that resets every 2 weeks which makes it even less like DAOC.

GW2 fans....you gotta cut them alot of slack

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

Originally posted by Mephster

.... Soooooooo...What seperates a "Skyrim Online" from Darkfall?

• FFA PvP with Racial Alignments, guilds, etc.

• Skill-based

• Full loot

• First Person View

• Twitch based combat

• Lots to Explore

Interface? Ok. Developer? Definitely.

But other than that? Not much.

Whenever anyone says they want a game like Skyrim in MMO form, I think I'll make it a point to point them in the direction of Darkfall, and ask them to really think about it.

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by Coldren

• Skill-based

• Full loot

• First Person View

• Twitch based combat

• Lots to Explore

Whenever anyone says they want a game like Skyrim in MMO form, I think I'll make it a point to point them in the direction of Darkfall, and ask them to really think about it.

too bad hardcore pvp players are minority and also the first one to jump ship, u dont spend 300 million to make a game for minority players.  

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Why do people insist on trying to hype every new MMO as the spiritual successor to DAOC?  The devs of most of these games probably never even played it.  Let alone have any clue what made it such a classic.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Originally posted by Vhaln

Why do people insist on trying to hype every new MMO as the spiritual successor to DAOC?  The devs of most of these games probably never even played it.  Let alone have any clue what made it such a classic.

Exactly, the lead developer of DAOC is now the Director of ESO, that doesnt mean the game is going to play like he developed it, hes directing it and seeing as his resume is a list of failures from his first attempt to buy a MUD in the 80's to his recently failed consulting company (Whose website hasnt been live since...EVER), at this point the dudes looking for money sorry guys.

Its like saying that since Brad Mcquaid was the lead dev of everquest and then the director of Vanguard that....

O....

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

If i look at the screenshots those alone show me this NOT and i repeat NOT The Elder Scrolls. I think its MONEYGRAB project and ill skip on this one its not only betray your own orignal concept of the Elder Scrolls solo rpg series its also BETRAYING your own huge fan base.

New genration of gamers don't care they all want WoW/TOR/AION/RIFT/TERA/EQ like mmo's and zenimax/bethesda have right to do this sure but i have the power over MY OWN WALLET and they will not get ONE PENNY from me if game will be what i think it will be NOWAY.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Games888

Originally posted by Coldren

• Skill-based
    • Full loot First Person View Twitch based combat Lots to Explore

too bad hardcore pvp players are minority and also the first one to jump ship, u dont spend 300 million to make a game for minority players.  

12 million and counting bought Skyrim a big part of those specially the longterm fans of series want MMO that resembles the true nature and feel of The Elder Scrolls so its not about hardcore at all lol why do you think its about small minority???

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Exactly, the lead developer of DAOC is now the Director of ESO, that doesnt mean the game is going to play like he developed it, hes directing it and seeing as his resume is a list of failures from his first attempt to buy a MUD in the 80's to his recently failed consulting company (Whose website hasnt been live since...EVER), at this point the dudes looking for money sorry guys.

Its like saying that since Brad Mcquaid was the lead dev of everquest and then the director of Vanguard that....

Ok, admitedly, not paying close enough attention to have caught that.  The lead dev of DAOC, you say?  Who was that, anyhow, and when was he the lead dev?  The whole time?  Sometimes it just seems like Mythic devs have ended up working on all these different MMOs, and I'm just a little skeptical, considering how that's been going, so far.

I've never been able to figure out who was really responsible for making DAOC so great.  Was it someone who moved on, before the game even launched?  Seems like they might have still been around, for the development of SI, and some of those early free expansions.  Or was it all just serendipity?  I mean, if even WAR failed so badly to be DAOC2, how is this likely to be a better candidate?  What really happened to Mythic, anyhow?  Did the real talent leave long ago, and now they're working on this?

Until I read words from this lead dev, indicating that he has some idea of what made DAOC what it was, I'm just not buying it.  Maybe some indication that he knows why TOA and WAR went in the utterly wrong direction might help, too.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I imagine TESO to be a TES game. Since its not I will not imagine it any way. I dont want WOW or DOAC2 with TES lore. I want TES with TES lore. The game can blow me. I generally wait untill I get more information on a game before I form an opinion. But seeing class based turn based combat simply ruined it already.

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Ok, admitedly, not paying close enough attention to have caught that.  The lead dev of DAOC, you say?  Who was that, anyhow, and when was he the lead dev?  The whole time?  Sometimes it just seems like Mythic devs have ended up working on all these different MMOs, and I'm just a little skeptical, considering how that's been going, so far.

I've never been able to figure out who was really responsible for making DAOC so great.  Was it someone who moved on, before the game even launched?  Seems like they might have still been around, for the development of SI, and some of those early free expansions.  Or was it all just serendipity?  I mean, if even WAR failed so badly to be DAOC2, how is this likely to be a better candidate?  What really happened to Mythic, anyhow?  Did the real talent leave long ago, and now they're working on this?

Until I read words from this lead dev, indicating that he has some idea of what made DAOC what it was, I'm just not buying it.  Maybe some indication that he knows why TOA and WAR went in the utterly wrong direction might help, too.

Matt Firor.

He was there for the start of Mythic and left during the development of WAR. I seem to remember he left because he didn't lke where WAR was going. He left sometime around the EA buy out.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

The PVP concept could be all around a great concept, but if it doesn't have the gameplay or anything else to support that concept, it will fail just like countless other MMORPGs failed.

Originally posted by Nibs

Matt Firor.

He was there for the start of Mythic and left during the development of WAR. I seem to remember he left because he didn't lke where WAR was going. He left sometime around the EA buy out.

I was just checking out his wikipedia page, and noticed this:

• 2001 Dark Age of Camelot  (Producer/Design)

• 2002 Dark Age of Camelot: Shrouded Isles  ( Producer/Design)

• 2003 Dark Age of Camelot: Trials of Atlantis  (Exec. Producer)

• 2004 Dark Age of Camelot: Catacombs  (Exec Producer)

• 2013 The Elder Scrolls Online (Director)

He appears to have changed roles, between SI and TOA?  Does that mean he had more creative control, or less?  I don't know what those titles really entail.