Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have Blizzard lost their touch ?

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Show me on the doll where the Blizzard touched you.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

blizzards games sell so well because of marketing, diablo 3 is nothing special but blizzard will put tons of money into  advertising and hyping the game, they'll even have mr .T tell you its awesome, so much so that you weak minded mortals wont be able to resist it, then you'll play it and feel like a sucker but you'll defend the game because you'll never admit to people that you're a sucker.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

How so?

Diablo 3 is an amazing title, and anyone who isn't an internal tester for Blizzard has only experienced 1/3 of the 1st Act.

From what basis do people draw these asinine assumptions? There was a massive thread on the D3 official forums about how D3 is exponentially more advanced than D2 in every possible way. They have not dumbed the series down, far from it in fact. It's more complex than it's ever been.

The problem is with individual perception, to quote Ron White: You can't fix stupid.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Originally posted by Kost

How so?

Diablo 3 is an amazing title, and anyone who isn't an internal tester for Blizzard has only experienced 1/3 of the 1st Act.

From what basis do people draw these asinine assumptions? There was a massive thread on the D3 official forums about how D3 is exponentially more advanced than D2 in every possible way. They have not dumbed the series down, far from it in fact. It's more complex than it's ever been.

The problem is with individual perception, to quote Ron White: You can't fix stupid.

It would want to be more advanced and complexed, diablo 2 was released 12 years ago.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Istavaan

It would want to be more advanced and complexed, diablo 2 was released 12 years ago.

Try twinking in Anarchy Online and tell me if your comment made no sense or not.

(Anarchy Online had one of the most complex twinking systems for gear in any MMO to date, and it was released in 2001.)

• Bushi13Bushi13 Member Posts: 123

Diablow 3

Diablow 3, it sucks ...

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Originally posted by Lobotomist

This is something that really has to be asked.

Diablo is legendary game franchise. Probably one of most popular ones on PC.

Even if the game is not more that decent, diablo 3 would be bought by millions of people.

Blizzard is brimming with money and talent. And I dont doubt huge budgets were invested in this one...

What can go wrong after all ?

I think unbelivable has happened. Blizzard is about to release their first bad game ( i am not counting WOW expansions)

What happened ?

Did all the talents leave Blizzard ?

Its really hard to answer this one...

It’s all speculation and we will find out on May 15th

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Even if the game is not more that decent, diablo 3 would be bought by millions of people.

Blizzard is brimming with money and talent. And I dont doubt huge budgets were invested in this one...

I think unbelivable has happened. Blizzard is about to release their first bad game ( i am not counting WOW expansions)

What happened ?

Blizzard's biggest mistake was the destruction of wow vanila.

Her second mistake was starcraft 2 with cartoon graphics and making the game micro based without a lot of strategy.

Will there be a 3rd mistake with diablo 3?Only 10 days left to find out but i think they are going to ruin this ip as well if not at tghe beggining sure in the upcoming expansions.

You see blizzard gots a talent at destroying their own games.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I thought Diablo 2 was terrible and didn't like WC3 at all. Both of those games seemed to do just fine with me not liking them. You aren't going to like every game made.

• leroysgleroysg Member UncommonPosts: 97

Originally posted by jusomdude

No, developers haven't lost their touch... gamers have turned into spoiled little brats.

+1

and...complaint bitches about every single game released or about to release. they ought to be the one changing and learn to adapt to these changes. 

Originally posted by nationalcity

^^^^^ I don't think it's that developers have lost there touch.

I mean what a month ago it was Mass Effect 3 now Diablo 3 it's just people expect way to much that's the problem I don't know when gamers became so entitled....

If all these people think they can do better then they should go get a gaming degree and make something happen....

+2

Originally posted by Ekaros

No, the realities of market has changed. Old school gamers aren't the primary group anymore and games are aimed for more casual players.

Diablo 3 is polished product, it just has different more broader audience than before.

+3

Originally posted by Aori

What happened ?

Everyone said SC2 was Blizzard first Bad game.. they also said that about WoW. I believe it was at one point said about D2 being a poor successor to D1 aswell. Even warcraft 3 during its beta stages got flacked hard for its rpg aspects and art style.

Moving onward to another pisspoor game from blizzard that i'll enjoy.

+4

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

I played the beta. I was a bit underwhelmed by the graphics, especially the character models. Also, after the many years they have been working on it, I found it kind of ridiculous that there was zero character appearance customization. All RPG's should have this in my opinion.

However, I must admit that the gameplay felt really good. I played the Barbarian. The hits had impact, it was nice to have a story, and the loot was plentiful. Pretty addictive overall.

I will be picking up a copy. All of those who don't like the game are certainly free to do otherwise.

• LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Member UncommonPosts: 93

After somewhat scanning this thread I just had to clear up a little misunderstanding... (personally I'm absolutely psyched for Diablo 3, I love the graphics as I think they are plenty attractive and enjoy there style as well as the combat etc. )

First of all, Blizzard: "They said that the Beta of D3 was 1/4th of act 1 on the easiest possible setting they could tune the game too. Live is supposed to more difficult than the beta."

Secondly, this game being too easy, LOLWUT?

http://media.diablofans.com/images/news/2012/may/guide/IMG_0104.jpg

(Sorry but you gotta go to the link, its far too big to hotlink)

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by jusomdude

I find it funny Blizzard ushered in a new era for MMOs, and they'll do it again with Hack n Slash games.

There's a few disgruntled "vets" here that will pretty much shit on anything they can, but the proof is in the pudding that Diablo 3 will be a success when they're having troubles with their servers from so many people trying to play on the stress test.

Ushering in a new area of Hack n Slash games huh?

So this isn't a game for the vets? It's for the new gamers?

An Isometric view, point and click hack n' slash game with low end graphics is meant for new gamers? lol....

The Vets are pretty much the bulk of those interested in that type of game, though the new gamers will probably enjoy the WoW aspect of Diablo 3 and the easier game play.

People said exactly the same about WoW.

"A clone of EverQuest will conquer and define the MMO genre with stale graphics LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL" 

And then it did. 

Do not underestimate Blizzard, they will drag hack'n'slash to the mainstream market (where it has only really been with Diablo to a massive extent) just like they did with MMO's (WoW) and RTS's (StarCraft) 

It's only a matter of time :)

• Munkyman1Munkyman1 Member Posts: 221

I was very happy with the beta! I know a lot of people complain about the customization being a reat deal less, but let us be honest, there really wasnt that much customization in the other diablo games.  So what you dont have stat points to place every level, big whoop, everyone did the same stat set up for every class anyways...so was kind of a pointless task, the talent trees were a disaster as everyone did the same couple of builds, and all those points were just there as filler to get to the good talents.  Now you have skills that you use throughout the game and with runes you cancustomize them to your style or your groups needs.  The animations were solid, the graphics are what i expected as everyone knows blizzard makes games playable across a broader range of PC's.  It was non stop action and looting. They have changed up a few things so that you cant just blaze through a group of enemies its not all about mowing monsters down, quite a few times when i forgot to actually play mindful of my character limits and skills i got my butt handed to me, something that never happend in the other games, and it wasnt like OH i died because i ran out of health potions, i knew i died because i hadnt used my char skills properly.  SOOOOOO that being said, a much better Diablo, much better gameplay, requires some char knowledge and thinking, and runes and skills allow for some different tactics, AND the ability to change them as your style or tastes change...pretty dang sweet if you ask me!

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

All it has to have is

Fast Paced Action

Lots of Monsters

Lots of LOOT

Decent Graphics

And bingo we have a winner !

Even path of the exile failed , fact paced action lol , no its slow.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by reignjuste

What happened ?

Blizzard's biggest mistake was the destruction of wow vanila.

Her second mistake was starcraft 2 with cartoon graphics and making the game micro based without a lot of strategy.

Will there be a 3rd mistake with diablo 3?Only 10 days left to find out but i think they are going to ruin this ip as well if not at tghe beggining sure in the upcoming expansions.

You see blizzard gots a talent at destroying their own games.

Try winning the GSL without good strategy. :D

Starcraft has always been about strategy, macro and micro. SC:BW required more APM for Macro, otherwise those two games are very much like each other.

Jaedong, a famous SC:BW zerg player is among other things famous for his Mutalisk micro.

My point: SC2 is a worthy successor to SC:BW.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I was unimpressed by D3 too, big time.  I think it lacks the dark and easy to play feel that D2 had.  But I do have 2 positive things to say about it that make me think that blizz hasn't 'lost their touch' (that being said, blizzard made WoW, which IMO was a terrible game, so I don't know what touch we are talking about).

Diablo 2 is the pinnacle of a genre.  There are opinions about positive changes that could be made to D2 for sure, but in many ways it is a game that is not improvable.  It combines simplicity with just enough depth to make it very addictive, good 2D graphics, good storyline, good feel, memorable music, straightforward multiplayer.  It was a game that became a gold standard.  Even if a 'better' game has been made, there just is not a lot to improve on and therefore D2 has remained that gold standard.  So what should blizz be expected to do with D3?

We have not seen much of the D3 storytelling yet. SC2 recently came out and one of its greatest/only strengths over starcraft 1 was its amazing storytelling.  I just finished the SC2 single player campaign and I was incredibly impressed.  The multiplayer is on par with SC1, in my opinion, with much needed updates to make it easier to join games.  The map making is impressive as well...  But its really the campaign that sets SC2 apart from SC1.  There is a good chance we will see the same thing with D3.

Like I said before, my main concern with D3 is that they arent able to catch the darkness of D1 and D2.  It looks too much like WoW, in my opinion.  I also think I prefer the D2 user interface and pace, but the jury is still out on that.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Oh and I am shocked they are not allowing 8 players in a game.  That just makes me upset.  I have more than 3 friends who will play...  They should have made 4 the default but added some sort of option for 8, like private games or something.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Mephster

Blizzard knows mmos and rts games. They should just stick with that.

One would expect them to know how to make a good Diablo game as well, it ain´t exactly quantum physics.

You need a huge random dungeon, monster, loot and a fast paced combat system. You don´t need story. logic or other stuff like that, just go down in the dungeon and kill Diablo. Oh, yeah, it must be hard too, really hard.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I don't think Diablo3 is bad, I just think it's shallow. But that counts for the huge majority of games that aim at the masses.

Diablo 1 was more of a horror game, that became somewhat less so in D2, and the trend continued in D3.

Also, D3 is basically D2 with a slight graphics update and some minor changes. Exactly as SC2 was for SC1. So D3 is typically blizzard.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

You are all right.

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Mephster

Blizzard knows mmos and rts games. They should just stick with that.

One would expect them to know how to make a good Diablo game as well, it ain´t exactly quantum physics.

You need a huge random dungeon, monster, loot and a fast paced combat system. You don´t need story. logic or other stuff like that, just go down in the dungeon and kill Diablo. Oh, yeah, it must be hard too, really hard.

Huge random dungeon - Check

Monsters - Check

Loot - Check

Fast paced combat system - Check

Storywise it isn't the greatest game ever, but for some reason most games fall pretty flat on this. Logic is still pretty absent, though with Elective Mode turned on and your brains turned off, I guess dying gets pretty easy.

For me Diablo 3 is still about the same thing. Exploring random generated dungeons, killing loads of monsters, getting truckloads of loot and running the danger of charging into a room filled with lightning enchanted monsters. If those aren't in Diablo 3, then I agree with all those Diablo 3 nay-sayers image