Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online first screens leaked

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by toddze

Originally posted by newbo

I knock a lot of things regarding TES Online, but the graphics are not one of them. Some of you need vision checks.

My vision is just fine. See if you can see the diffrence

This is ESO:

The Elder Scrolls Online

This is TES:

...and what MMO pray tell is capable of going with single player game graphics?  Even the highest grade graphical MMO doesn't even come close at present, because it's just not feasible.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by Vorthanion

I knock a lot of things regarding TES Online, but the graphics are not one of them. Some of you need vision checks.

This is ESO:

The Elder Scrolls Online

This is TES:

...and what MMO pray tell is capable of going with single player game graphics?  Even the highest grade graphical MMO doesn't even come close at present, because it's just not feasible.

Seeing as Skyrim is running on six year old consoles I don't see where the problem lies.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

This is ESO:

The Elder Scrolls Online

This is TES:

While true, I could put images of TESO alongside TERA/Conan/TSW/ArchAge/etc., if you'd like. I think the point has been made, though.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

This is ESO:

The Elder Scrolls Online

This is TES:

Oh god, that makes me hurt inside.   I'm sick of these plasticine games.  What a completely moronic move, how can anyone argue that this is a good direction for the franchise...I'm mean... look at the difference! >:(

• Also, the Screen Shots look like a dragon age expansion.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

really really disappointed that this is turning out to be another clone'esqe re-rendering of what's already come before. You dont need hi poly counts to make a good TES online game but you do need to be TES.

Hot bars, whats next? Go kill X mobs for some pos reward?

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

This is ESO:

The Elder Scrolls Online

This is TES:

While true, I could put images of TESO alongside TERA/Conan/TSW/ArchAge/etc., if you'd like. I think the point has been made, though.

The point being you don't like the art style, very subjective.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

This is ESO:

The Elder Scrolls Online

This is TES:

Age of conan graphics comes damn close to it, and it is more of the same atmosphere vs the cartoony hero engines graphics.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Kind of amusing reading all these QQ post from arm-chair developers.  That have never worked on a game let alone a MMO.  Yet seem to think just because they played a game, they know oh so much about how one should operate. I mean if you think you can do better.  By all means I invite you to go round-up some investors, and negoiate to get a license on the IP.  If people around here put as much effort into making a game as they do complaining about them.  Who knows you might actually make something just above "Bad".

Oh and FYI: I have no interest in ESO, nor any interest in the graphics or engine.  Me, personally I would have rather seen a Co-Op mode for Skyrim.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Originally posted by thekid1

This is ESO:

The Elder Scrolls Online

This is TES:

Seeing as Skyrim is running on six year old consoles I don't see where the problem lies.

Take issue with the developers of all MMOs then.  Maybe they'll figure out a tech to fix that issue just for you.  What I do know is that while I can easily run Skyrim on my machine with no issues, it can't also be done in an MMO without crippling my machine and that's with lower polygon counts and whole schlameal of corner cutting that most MMOs make.  Get more than 10 to 20 people in an area in Age of Conan and I would experience massive screen stutter.  Get 50 people together for a keep raid in WAR which has a very reasonably low tech engine and once again, slow mo city.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Well , they could rename it to "Kingdom of amalur: Online" and then eveything wold make sense and the "OMAGAWD this game gonna rule!!HTEBIGONEONEONE!!!!ELVEN11111"

:(

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

This is ESO:

*snip*

That was neither the point I was making nor the one you were trying to argue. Stop it. You stated an online game can't even come close to graphics of single player games. I pointed out ones that do so, quite well. Are they "Crysis" level? No. But they're far and away better than this and are also closer to the standards set by the TES series. Age of Conan and TERA both on max settings are quite lovely. So, the excuse you tried to make for TESO isn't really valid anymore.

Also, I stated a few posts prior that I actually like the overall style of TESO. I have issues with the anatomy, but that could be fixed, and I'm starting to believe that's an engine issue considering this being a similar problem with other games using the same engine.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

The graffic isnt BAD the problem is that will not follow the same kind of graffics of the other games of TES series wich is kinda of a dissappointment

Originally posted by Roin

Kind of amusing reading all these QQ post from arm-chair developers.  That have never worked on a game let alone a MMO.  Yet seem to think just because they played a game, they know oh so much about how one should operate. I mean if you think you can do better.  By all means I invite you to go round-up some investors, and negoiate to get a license on the IP.  If people around here put as much effort into making a game as they do complaining about them.  Who knows you might actually make something just above "Bad".

Oh and FYI: I have no interest in ESO, nor any interest in the graphics or engine.  Me, personally I would have rather seen a Co-Op mode for Skyrim.

Invalid argument is invalid, and has been proven so far too many times for me to bother pointing it out to you. Peruse the forums, I'm sure it won't be hard to figure out why "You can't do 'x' therefore 'x' is just fine" is only ever good for a laugh.

This is ESO:

*snip*

That was neither the point I was making nor the one you were trying to argue. Stop it. You stated an online game can't even come close to graphics of single player games. I pointed out ones that do so, quite well. Are they "Crysis" level? No. But they're far and away better than this and are also closer to the standards set by the TES series. Age of Conan and TERA both on max settings are quite lovely. So, the excuse you tried to make for TESO isn't really valid anymore.

Also, I stated a few posts prior that I actually like the overall style of TESO. I have issues with the anatomy, but that could be fixed, and I'm starting to believe that's an engine issue considering this being a similar problem with other games using the same engine.

Then why don't you take issue with GW2, it's not anything compared to Conan or Archeage?  The double standards on this website when it comes to how a game looks graphically is all over the place.

Originally posted by Chickenfries

Just me, or does Bethesda make horrible character models?  The first mod i always add is a face / texture mod.  Personally I think (mainly hoping) this is all just a big marketing ploy since everything is from a "leaked source".  Its almost as if the articals that were written by the devs are poking fun at the modern MMO's. 

Bethesda did a pretty good job on Skyrim, I thought. The normal maps required a mod to smooth out and display as intended but otherwise, the majority of the mods you download are just tweaks of what exists, especially the ones that existed prior to the release of the Creation Kit.

That's all mostly moot, though, as Bethesda has nothing to do with this.

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152

Originally posted by Eir_S

Yeah, TES has made a certain style for itself over the years, which this game doesn't even remotely resemble.  It looks like polished shit.

Is a MMO, people still dont undestand that you cant have graphics like Skyrim or even oblivion in a MMO, ever worse if u plan to have PvP battles with more than 100 playes, cant happen. 

This is ESO:

*snip*

Then why don't you take issue with GW2, it's not anything compared to Conan or Archeage?  The double standards on this website when it comes to how a game looks graphically is all over the place.

There's no double standard there. Either the points are flying over your head or you're just intentionally trying to dodge them. GW2 is a huge step forward from GW1, graphically, and doesn't have enough of a history as an IP to have established a standard in their graphics in the first place. From GW1, which is a much older game and fairly low-poly, it's not particularly hard to do better.

The argument that many are making is that TESO is a step ~backward~ from the existing games. It's very reminiscent of SWTOR, which is not what people would have expected from a TES game even if it's being developed by the parent company rather than Bethesda. Perhaps the problem is people keep expecting it to be up to the standards set by the IP, but if it wasn't willing to do so, it would have made more sense to create a unique IP instead, no? But, aw shucks, then you couldn't sell to the die hards who'll rush out and buy anything with the TES logo on it.

Originally posted by Eletheryl

Yeah, TES has made a certain style for itself over the years, which this game doesn't even remotely resemble.  It looks like polished shit.

Is a MMO, people still dont undestand that you cant have graphics like Skyrim or even oblivion in a MMO, ever worse if u plan to have PvP battles with more than 100 playes, cant happen. 

good luck having PvP on dead servers

• delimeat567delimeat567 Member Posts: 56

Age of Conan had pretty great and decently realistic graphics. Even by today's standards, AoC is one the best looking games out there.

I don't think ESO is necessarily "ugly," I just think it doesn't fit in with the graphical style of Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind. This looks more cartoonish (again, not that that is in itself a bad thing) than the other TES games.

Thankfully, this is being developed by Zenimax Online, rather than Bethesda. 

Played: SWG, SWG:NGE, EQ2, Vanguard, LotRO, WoW, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Mortal Online, Rift, Guild Wars, Fallen Earth, EVE Online, Ryzom, Dungeons and Dragons Online, World of Tanks, Aion, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2

There's no double standard there. Either the points are flying over your head or you're just intentionally trying to dodge them. GW2 is a huge step forward from GW1, graphically, and doesn't have enough of a history as an IP to have established a standard in their graphics in the first place. From GW1, which is a much older game and fairly low-poly, it's not particularly hard to do better.

The argument that many are making is that TESO is a step ~backward~ from the existing games. It's very reminiscent of SWTOR, which is not what people would have expected from a TES game even if it's being developed by the parent company rather than Bethesda. Perhaps the problem is people keep expecting it to be up to the standards set by the IP, but if it wasn't willing to do so, it would have made more sense to create a unique IP instead, no? But, aw shucks, then you couldn't sell to the die hards who'll rush out and buy anything with the TES logo on it.

That  in red is exactly what this ESO is boiling down to. Its just a cheep POS game cashing in on the name.

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

OH... MY... GOD!

How is it possible that a game not yet released could concievably look better than on released before it? Absolute madness! The gall of them!

You'd think they started developing the game back in 2007 or something... And the better looking one started a year later...

And didn't have to deal with things like latency, or dealing with more than one person on the screen!

...Oh wait..

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by thekid1

This is ESO:

The Elder Scrolls Online

This is TES:

Take issue with the developers of all MMOs then.  Maybe they'll figure out a tech to fix that issue just for you.  What I do know is that while I can easily run Skyrim on my machine with no issues, it can't also be done in an MMO without crippling my machine and that's with lower polygon counts and whole schlameal of corner cutting that most MMOs make.  Get more than 10 to 20 people in an area in Age of Conan and I would experience massive screen stutter.  Get 50 people together for a keep raid in WAR which has a very reasonably low tech engine and once again, slow mo city.

I agree you need a more powerfull PC to run an mmorpg with the same graphics as a singleplayer game.

But Skryim can run on SIX year old consoles, I am sure they can make a mmorpg with the same graphics now.

And your PC is just really old or you don't have a decent graphics card if you are having those issues.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I found a screenshot showing some of the UI details!:

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

I think I read somewhere that the khajiit would be in the game.  As for someone who mentioned the graphics being good, yeah, they are but they don't remind me of TES.  It seems like they just got the guy who did DAOC and said "we need a good IP to lash him to".  I don't know how it will work out for actual long time fans of TES when their priorities look the way they do.

Pretty much this. The main producer for DAOC is leading this anyways at Zenimax Online.

Luckily, those who don't like it and are only interested in the main SP TES games don't have to worry about anything, as Bethesda proper isn't really the one focus on and working on this.