Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My BIg Question- D3 and PoE

Comments

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by DAS1337

Originally posted by Aori

This thread is a true 'headscratcher'.

PoE has a system that allows for true player crafted items.  No diablo game has this.  No, D3's crafting system is limited only to what recipes the devs give you. 

The graphics are simply better in quality.  You can like D3's style better if you prefer.  But, you can't actually argue that the engine for PoE isn't technically more advanced than the engine in D3.  If you tried, you would be completely and utterly wrong.  The shadows, lighting, and textures are all better.  I actually felt nervous going into some areas in the PoE beta.  I never felt that in D3.  I felt like I was in an amusement park.  There was no challenge.

I think both titles have their strengths and weaknesses.  Both are good.  I will probably play both.

Ok first off, you're going to have to explain to me what true player crafted items are.. as diablo 3's crafting system is better in terms of gear gambling than any other.. it unlike most games is not useless.

To say D3's engine is inferior to PoE is one of the most ridiculous statements i've seen someone make. The shadows, lighting and textures are far worse in PoE, what game did you play? I've played PoE beta.. I felt like i was playing a watered down NWN. I think you're blinded by the fact you liked the art style in PoE vs D3. Another thing is, D3 has physics.. something PoE will never have and the physics add alot to this style of game.

The only game i've ever felt nervous playing was Lineage 2. You've gotta be some kind of lightweight to be nervous playing PoE or any ARPG for that matter.

As for the whole it feels like an amusement park, well thats better than a county fair.

I'd have to ask you the same thing, what game did you play? 

In PoE you can literally strip an item bare of it's properties, add properties or change properties, add or change sockets and change the rarity of said items.  Can you do that in D3?  No, you can only make what the developers have designed for you.  PoE's system is quite obviously much more useful to the individual player, as they can tailor their items exactly the way that they like.  You can also improve item quality as well, both weapons and armor. 

So if I understand this correctly it is easier to get the stats you want in PoE than it is in D3? Also this seems it will lead to everyone being nearly the same in terms of gear.

In D3 you aren't limited to preset choices, its about luck of the draw.. you can get the stats you want on items but its a matter of how much time you want to devote to getting that one perfect piece.

As for the improving item quality, i'm not sure how that works in PoE but in D3 you get sockets and gems.

For everything else you said, there is no arguing with you, because you THINK you know what is right. Unless you worked on D3 and PoE you have no idea which is 'technically' better. So i'll leave that whole topic in the air and to each their own on preference.

Would you rather goto an amusement park or a fair?

I'd rather you give me a gun, axe, and a knife and send me into the woods.  Oh, that wasn't one of your choices was it?

I wouldn't say it's easier by any means.  Both games have the randomized statistic gear.  PoE gives you the ability to alter items differently than in D3.  I won't repeat what I've already written, as you can just go back and re-read it.  If you have specific questions, I can answer them for you. 

In D3 and PoE, luck of the draw is a big part of the game.  Though, if you have the items needed, you can take a normal items, make it legendary, add certain stats to it (Though they are randomized too), add sockets to it, change the socket colors and then increase the item quality % through whetstones and blacksmithing items.  Meaning, you can literally craft your own specific gear instead of grinding countless ages to get exactly what you want.  Though, you may be grinding countless ages for the components needed to get that gear exactly how you want it.

The only think I know that I'm right on is the graphics engines.  You can google them if you want and you can see the proof for yourself.  I'm just describing other key differences that make PoE stand out in my opinion. 

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

In PoE you can literally strip an item bare of it's properties, add properties or change properties, add or change sockets and change the rarity of said items.  Can you do that in D3?  No, you can only make what the developers have designed for you.  PoE's system is quite obviously much more useful to the individual player, as they can tailor their items exactly the way that they like.  You can also improve item quality as well, both weapons and armor.
    So, when you were talking about "true player crafted items", you were referring to rerolling the stats and affixes on items with the various Orbs? OK, that's an interesting system, and I do like it, but it would never have even entered my head to call it "crafting". Let alone "true player crafted items". And I don't really see how it is materially different to D3 allowing you to craft random items.

Now if you were removing affixes from different items in order to combine them together onto a single item (like Guild Wars salvaging), then I guess you could call it crafting. The current PoE system I'd call gambling, though.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

I see not many understand how the socket system works in D3 and I am not going to give you the full details but just saying sockets will provide more customizations than any current model.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.

Originally posted by ArChWind
    I see not many understand how the socket system works in D3 and I am not going to give you the full details but just saying sockets will provide more customizations than any current model.
    Can you elaborate? I thought that D3 sockets just took 4 different colours of gem, giving you 4 choices of stat? Am I wrong? Or how does that provide more customizations than any current model?

Originally posted by Banquetto

Can you elaborate? I thought that D3 sockets just took 4 different colours of gem, giving you 4 choices of stat? Am I wrong? Or how does that provide more customizations than any current model?

/hint

More than one socket in an item.

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Another hint on the socket thing:

There are more stat points available in D3's gems than there were from leveling in D2 an getting points each level.

D3 has MORE stat points to play with than D2 had.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

/hint

Ah, well, that's completely different from Diablo 2, then. Oh, wait, no actually it's not, it's exactly the same. Seriously, do you have anything useful to say about WHY D3's sockets "will provide more customizations than any current model" or not?

Originally posted by dubyahite
    Another hint on the socket thing:There are more stat points available in D3's gems than there were from leveling in D2 an getting points each level. D3 has MORE stat points to play with than D2 had.
    Oh, indeed. I think that's a sensible approach, most of the socketing options in D2 were somewhat on the insignificant side. But the way ArChWind was talking made it sound like there was complexity and functionality to D3's socketing system which was above and beyond what we had seen in the past. I thought I'd missed something in my reading. Turns out I hadn't missed anything at all, by the sounds of it.
  • PittyHPittyH Member Posts: 116

This is the crafting system in PoE, it's also the currency in the game

http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data/currency

my web design: www.advancedws.com.au

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

POE is awesome Ive been playing it for a while now , However D3 is a cut above POE in style .

POE will be free to play why ? Because they probably would have trouble selling it for $60 .

Simply put D3 is just alot better .

/hint

Ah, well, that's completely different from Diablo 2, then. Oh, wait, no actually it's not, it's exactly the same. Seriously, do you have anything useful to say about WHY D3's sockets "will provide more customizations than any current model" or not?

Originally posted by dubyahite

Another hint on the socket thing:There are more stat points available in D3's gems than there were from leveling in D2 an getting points each level. D3 has MORE stat points to play with than D2 had.

Oh, indeed. I think that's a sensible approach, most of the socketing options in D2 were somewhat on the insignificant side. But the way ArChWind was talking made it sound like there was complexity and functionality to D3's socketing system which was above and beyond what we had seen in the past. I thought I'd missed something in my reading. Turns out I hadn't missed anything at all, by the sounds of it.

Add sockets to items, remove and keep gems form sockets for future use.

mix and match gear and socket items. Way more complex then you think.

left number is min right number is max

Affixes to jewelry

--------------------------------------------------

Experience_Bonus +1 +24

Resource_Max_Bonus +1 +104

Resource_Regen_Per_Second 1.00 2.17

Movement_Speed +4% +7%

Damage_Type_Percent_Bonus 1% 8%

CrowdControl_Reduction 2% 10%

On_Hit_Fear_Proc_Chance 1.0% 4.0%

On_Hit_Stun_Proc_Chance 1.0% 4.0%

On_Hit_Blind_Proc_Chance 1.0% 4.0%

On_Hit_Freeze_Proc_Chance 1.0% 4.0%

On_Hit_Chill_Proc_Chance 1.0% 4.0%

On_Hit_Slow_Proc_Chance 1.0% 4.0%

On_Hit_Immobilize_Proc_Chance 1.0% 4.0%

On_Hit_Knockback_Proc_Chance 1.0% 4.0%

Damage_Percent_Reduction_From_Ranged 2% 4%

Damage_Percent_Reduction_From_Melee 2% 4%

Damage_Percent_Reduction_From_Elites 2% 3%

Damage_Percent_Bonus_Vs_Monster_Type 1% 15%

Damage_Percent_Bonus_Vs_Elites 3% 4%

Strength_Item +1 +200

Dexterity_Item +1 +200

Intelligence_Item +1 +200

Item_Indestructible 1 1

Affixes to Armor

Armor_Bonus_Item +5 +265

Armor_Item_Percent +10% +300%

Gold_Find +5% +40%

Magic_Find 2% 24%

Experience_Bonus +1 +24

Health_Globe_Bonus_Health +2 +12794

Resistance 11 60 Resistance_All 11 80

Hitpoints_Regen_Per_Second 1 342

Hitpoints_Max_Percent_Bonus_Item +3% +4%

Movement_Speed +4% +7%

Attacks_Per_Second_Percent 2% 13%

Crit_Percent_Bonus_Capped 1.0% 1.0%

Crit_Damage_Percent 10% 50%

Thorns_Fixed 1 1454

Hitpoints_On_Hit +1 +94

Hitpoints_On_Kill +2 +569

Resistance_Stun +10% +10%

Resistance_Root +10% +10%

Resistance_Freeze +10% +10%

Resistance_StunRootFreeze +10% +10%

Gold_PickUp_Radius 2 7

On_Hit_Knockback_Proc_Chance 1.0% 4.0%

Damage_Percent_Reduction_Turns_Into_Heal 1.00% 10.00%

Damage_Percent_Reduction_From_Type 1% 10%

Strength_Item +1 +200

Dexterity_Item +1 +200

Vitality_Item +1 +100

Item_Level_Requirement_Reduction 1 28

Item_Indestructible 1 1

Affixes to offhand item

Gold_Find +5% +40%

Magic_Find 2% 24%

Experience_Bonus +1 +24

Health_Globe_Bonus_Health +2 +12794

Resistance_All 11 20

Hitpoints_Regen_Per_Second 1 342

Hitpoints_Max_Percent_Bonus_Item +3% +60%

Attacks_Per_Second_Percent 2% 13%

Crit_Percent_Bonus_Capped 1.0% 10.0%

Thorns_Fixed 1 1454

Hitpoints_On_Hit +2 +959

Hitpoints_On_Kill +2 +569

Sockets 1 1

Strength_Item +1 +200

Dexterity_Item +1 +200

Vitality_Item +1 +100

Item_Indestructible 1 1

Affixes to weapons

Gold_Find +5% +70%

Magic_Find 2% 55%

Experience_Bonus +1 +24

Resistance 11 60

Resistance_All 11 20

Hitpoints_Regen_Per_Second 1 599

Hitpoints_Max_Percent_Bonus_Item +5% +7%

Movement_Speed +4% +7%

Attacks_Per_Second_Item_Percent 2% 25%

Attacks_Per_Second_Item_Bonus +0.03 +0.25

Damage_Weapon_Percent_Bonus +10% +50%

Crit_Percent_Bonus_Capped 1.0% 1.0%

Crit_Damage_Percent 20% 100%

Thorns_Fixed 1 2544

Steal_Health_Percent 1.00% 3.00%

Resource_On_Hit 1 12

Resource_On_Kill 1 36

Hitpoints_On_Hit +2 +959

Hitpoints_On_Kill +2 +2878

Sockets 1 1

Resistance_Stun +10% +10%

Resistance_Root +10% +10%

Resistance_Freeze +10% +10%

Resistance_StunRootFreeze +10% +10%

Strength_Item +1 +200

Dexterity_Item +1 +200

Vitality_Item +1 +200

Item_Level_Requirement_Reduction 1 28

Item_Indestructible 1 1

Source-

Affixes

Mods

edit: To clarify I like to see you get +200 stat on a level 60 char in D2 with ONE item

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

graphics have got nothing to do with how a game looks, thats art style and aesthetics. some of you on here are clueless.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

60 euro for diablo 3, i think not.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I've been in the POE beta for quite awhile now, and I played in the beta weekend stress test for D3.

I prepurchased D3 and doubt I will play POE after D3 launches.

Originally posted by Istavaan

60 euro for diablo 3, i think not.

Product Details

Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD) - Mac OS X, Windows Vista / XP

Buy new: £29.99

sounds like you are buying 2 copies for 60 euro lol

• MerdurMerdur Member UncommonPosts: 27

Originally posted by Grailer

POE is awesome Ive been playing it for a while now , However D3 is a cut above POE in style .

POE will be free to play why ? Because they probably would have trouble selling it for $60 .

The only reason d3 can sell for 60 bucks is because it's got the name, take away the name and it's just another generic top down hack and slash with a RLAH and the RLAH is gonna crash and burn faster then people think.

Well you could add a socket to an item in D2 also. Removing and keeping for later use? That's new. I can't say it's a good idea though: it sounds like yet another D3 change that is going to reduce replayability for softcore characters.

What do you mean by "mix and match"? Because I'm honestly still not seeing the complexity. It looks like D2 with bigger numbers but much, much less complexity - 4 gem colours vs. 7 gem colours, 20-something runes plus runewords, and infinite random jewels).

edit: To clarify I like to see you get +200 stat on a level 60 char in D2 with ONE item
    Yeah I know D3 has much bigger numbers on the gems. If your point is just "socketing in D3 is more important than it was in D2" then I absolutely agree with you. But you keep hinting that it's more complex or deep, and I'm honestly not seeing it. Not trying to start a fight, I just want you to explain what it is that I'm missing.
  • SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by Zekiah

If anything, PoE looks more like D2 and D3 looks more like Torchlight.

thats right D3 is nothing like PoE... the grafficts, the mechanics everything is different

Originally posted by Merdur

Originally posted by Grailer

The only reason d3 can sell for 60 bucks is because it's got the name, take away the name and it's just another generic top down hack and slash with a RLAH and the RLAH is gonna crash and burn faster then people think.

its called the RMAH  real money auction house   lol.

Not sure how its going to crash and burn ,  where is your proof ? How do you know what is going to happen ?

They pushed back release date of this game to make it the best Action RPG available , its definately not just another generic top down hack and slash lol.  However when Im playing it in 9 days while you arent I'll be sure to not care  haha :)

Well you could add a socket to an item in D2 also. Removing and keeping for later use? That's new. I can't say it's a good idea though: it sounds like yet another D3 change that is going to reduce replayability for softcore characters.

Yeah they allow you to remove the gem and keep it. No hack to get it done.

What do you mean by "mix and match"? Because I'm honestly still not seeing the complexity. It looks like D2 with bigger numbers but much, much less complexity - 4 gem colours vs. 7 gem colours, 20-something runes plus runewords, and infinite random jewels).

Jewels are not done yet and the runes are rune wordsare in the skill system. Specific builds like the one I posted (demon Hunter) is going to need specific affixes and modifiers on the equipment to withstand the hell and inferno levels. Specificly speed, resistances, damage and healing. Since rare items can have 6 affixes I have room for some MF and Damage modifiers plus sockets add additional space to get what is missing.

Not all demon hunter builds are going to be spec’ed out to dance around groups of mobs and shot but that is how I like to run a ranged character even in a group. I need high speed running and fastest high power weapons I can find (add sockets for additional damage or life steal). I’m playing hardcore with this build because it will be a lot of fun for me. I like to pack em up and blow em up.

Yeah I know D3 has much bigger numbers on the gems. If your point is just "socketing in D3 is more important than it was in D2" then I absolutely agree with you. But you keep hinting that it's more complex or deep, and I'm honestly not seeing it. Not trying to start a fight, I just want you to explain what it is that I'm missing.

Like I said sockets, jewels are incomplete. Hell even the gems are missing data. I think this game has more potential but then I sit and study how I want my character to play and not someones elses character.

Diablo 3 has jewels? Everything I've ever heard says that it does not. What do you mean they're "incomplete", if they're not done now, they're not there, the game has gone gold and launches in 9 days!

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    They are incomplete on the websites database as far as I know. They definitely have jewels.

I'm sure they are complete in the game. They just don't have all the stats listed on the database.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Diablo 3 has jewels? Everything I've ever heard says that it does not. What do you mean they're "incomplete", if they're not done now, they're not there, the game has gone gold and launches in 9 days!

Where did you hear jewels are not in the game? I was missinformed then.  O.O

edit: http://www.diablo3demo.com/gameplay-potions.html

Maybe they gems are complete in game but many weapons, set armors, legendary armors and  gems are incomplete on the website. The only reference is helms and weapons on the gems. They still have ot add the other affixes that go on other armor for gems. Site will be 100% soon and will get the info.

Googled for "diablo 3" jewels.

"Jewels are not present in Diablo III... at least not yet. The Diablo III developers have never commented on jewels, other than to say they will not be in Diablo 3, upon initial launch." - Diablo Wiki

Numerous forum threads with people asking about jewels and nobody giving any response that suggested they were in the game.

No mention of jewels whatsoever in the game guide - at least the set & legendary items have placeholders there, saying "Legendary and Set items are being worked on. Check back soon to see their stats!".

Googled for "diablo 3" jewels.

"Jewels are not present in Diablo III... at least not yet. The Diablo III developers have never commented on jewels, other than to say they will not be in Diablo 3, upon initial launch." - Diablo Wiki

Numerous forum threads with people asking about jewels and nobody giving any response that suggested they were in the game.

No mention of jewels whatsoever in the game guide - at least the set & legendary items have placeholders there, saying "Legendary and Set items are being worked on. Check back soon to see their stats!".

http://www.diablo3demo.com/gameplay-potions.html

http://www.diablo3demo.com/gameplay-potions.html

According to archive.org, that bit about "Gems, Jewels and Runes will be available in Diablo3" was written on that page in 2008. (link)

I wouldn't rely on it as evidence that what has been publicly announced by Blizzard is missing major elements of gameplay, sadly.