Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The combat is third person turned based?

This... This is a joke right, guys?...

GUYS?!?!

Comments

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

Where the hell are you getting this?  I mean we're just hearing about the game, I don't think anyone knows any of the mechanics yet.  Get a grip.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Originally posted by seniorfrito

Where the hell are you getting this?  I mean we're just hearing about the game, I don't think anyone knows any of the mechanics yet.  Get a grip.

From the article in Gameinformer where they made the announcement of the game.  Please do some research first before telling people to get a grip.

• Blackwater56Blackwater56 Member Posts: 122

http://kotaku.com/5907598/first-elder-scrolls-online--details-make-it-sound-like-just-another-fantasy-mmo

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

Dang well sorry.  The whole turn based crap sounded too farfetched to be true.  The game failed as soon as it was announced.  Now that's a record.

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

That quote from gameinformer technically does not exclude the possibility of turn-based combat, however it would be extremely unlikely for this to be the case; especially with all the references to other traditional wow like combat mechanics.  I think they just meant it won't be action-based like an FPS or TERA.

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

If by turn-based you mean typical MMO combat then yes but you will confuse a lot of people like the other poster. So not turn based at all.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Blackwater56

http://kotaku.com/5907598/first-elder-scrolls-online--details-make-it-sound-like-just-another-fantasy-mmo

wow....thats really deflating...

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Great info, thanks for the link.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Originally posted by Sfaliara

If by turn-based you mean typical MMO combat then yes but you will confuse a lot of people like the other poster. So not turn based at all.

This. I think they used poor wording in the article, but it sounds like they're just sticking with typical auto attack + hotbar facerolling.

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

Why would you make an Elder Scrolls game in 3rd person?

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/723470/elder-scrolls-online-switches-to-third-person-first-screens-emerge/

I remember playing Daggerfall when it first came out.  1st person WAS the reason it was popular.  It was a classic dungeon crawler.  Every TES game since then has been 1st person.   That's what made the experience cool and kind of creepy - when you are sneaking up on a mob and it turns, sees you and all hell breaks loose.  3rd person TES is just... wrong...

• PraxusPraxus Member Posts: 266

Apparently there is no first person option at all. Total BS!

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

No actually every game after Daggerfall has Been first and third person view and worked just fine in either.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Guys, we should wait for gdemami to tell us how everyone in this thread is wrong before voicing our opinions.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

There is a difference between timed / cooldown etc. vs. turn based combat in the sense most people think of it.  it just saus no real time. . as in twitch.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• gamefreak565gamefreak565 Member UncommonPosts: 14

If they put turn based combat in this game it will turn out to be an even bigger joke than it already is, in my opinion. How the fuck can you go from having immersive first person combat to having final fantasy combat...

Then again, none of us have played the game and we can't say for sure what sort of game mechanics are going to be included, but that article certainly doesn't look too promising.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by gamefreak565

If they put turn based combat in this game it will turn out to be an even bigger joke than it already is, in my opinion. How the fuck can you go from having immersive first person combat to having final fantasy combat...

Then again, none of us have played the game and we can't say for sure what sort of game mechanics are going to be included, but that article certainly doesn't look too promising.

It's not really turn based like a JRPG.

TESO's combat is more like WOW's but with only 5 usable skills.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

And the reason WoW continues to maintain 8 figure subscription rates is because of all the new "WoW" games that have come out.

All these new offerings are doing is re-enforcing why many people actually play WoW in the 1st place. Even if you stop and consider that there are WoW clones out there that have actually created a game that is technically a better "WoW" than WoW. So why don't people play them instead? Because when someone want's to play "WoW", they have WoW!

You'd think these companies will get a hint. The Genre doesn't need any more "WoW"s and they don't equate to a license to print money.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

For those not familiar with how this type of combat works behind the scenes... here's a lesson for you. 

I'll use auto-attack for a simple explenation.

Your basic auto-attack, which by the way, a feature in almost every modern MMO, has a timer of 3 seconds. 

Every three seconds, your auto-attack is triggered.  Based on dice rolls, the game determines whether or not you hit, miss, or critical with it.  Obviously there may be other factors, including your enemies dodge, parry, block, evade, etc.  But this is the basic idea.

This goes back to P&P gameplay, where battles were won and lost based on turn based and timed attacks.

This is where you guys have confused yourselves.  TES:O will not be turned based, like what you'd expect in Risk.  The combat will play out near identically to World of Warcraft.  There may be some slight differences, but that's how it will be.  So don't worry your little heads about it, ok?

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by Boreil

No actually every game after Daggerfall has Been first and third person view and worked just fine in either.

Exactly, first person doesn't make a TES game.  I played both Oblivion and Skyrim in 3rd person.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

No surprise really, another fail-clone crossed off the list.

The entire industry is filled with a bunch of clueless jack wagons.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• PraxusPraxus Member Posts: 266

Originally posted by DAS1337

Originally posted by Boreil

Exactly, first person doesn't make a TES game.  I played both Oblivion and Skyrim in 3rd person.

The thing is, you had the choice and could go back and forth. But rumor says this has no first person. Why limit it?

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

This... This is a joke right, guys?...

GUYS?!?!

im with u i hope its a joke.... a bad one cause if its not.... TES online = fail

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

It’s not about the 1st or 3rd person perspective but whether its 3rd or 1st person "shooter" style collision detection, real time, action combat, rather than 3rd person WoW style.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Read

"third-person, and its combat centres around hotbars activating skills. Your attacks have cooldowns. In clear terms, that means no real-time combat. It is literally explained as using "World of Warcraft mechanics""

they meant, that it doesnt use Aimmed combat like we know of in FPS/TPS

it uses Tab Target like WoW.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Blackwater56Blackwater56 Member Posts: 122

I wrote an artivle summerizing my thoughts

http://greaterthangaming.blogspot.com/2012/05/mmos-its-time-to-stop.html

That's all there is left to say about this game.