Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild War 2 Might Cost you more than you think

Comments

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by terrant

So...I did a little thinking about this.

16,200 gems is a LOT, isn't it? Then I started looking at a few observations.

1) So far, the average going rate for gems is about 10 silver for 100 gems. 

2) I earned ten silver in about 4 hours of gameplay on average with a new character and not trading ANYTHING on the auction house. Just quest rewards and vendoring crap. This was tested with 6 different characters (yes I deleted and strted over a couple), spread across all three starting areas, with a broad mix of classes. That's accounting for paying for things like armor repair and transport.

3) Presuming those rates stay the way they currently are:

16,200 gems /100 gems a transcation=162 transactions

We will have to wait until after launch to get an accurate rate on Gems to in game currency ratio. It may stay close to the original set price for awhile or prices might immediately increase.

Eventually as people level the price of gems should increase. It will continue to do so unless Arenanet has made sufficient gold sinks.

Why? Because as people level and do quests, gold is created out of thin air. This causes inflation.

People that expect the rate of gems to stay at launch prices for long are in for a surprise.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Originally posted by Atlan99

2) I earned ten silver in about 4 hours of gameplay on average with a new character and not trading ANYTHING on the auction house. Just quest rewards and vendoring crap. This was tested with 6 different characters (yes I deleted and strted over a couple), spread across all three starting areas, with a broad mix of classes. That's accounting for paying for things like armor repair and transport.

We will have to wait until after launch to get an accurate rate on Gems to in game currency ratio. It may stay close to the original set price for awhile or prices might immediately increase.

Eventually as people level the price of gems should increase. It will continue to do so unless Arenanet has made sufficient gold sinks.

Why? Because as people level and do quests, gold is created out of thin air. This causes inflation.

People that expect the rate of gems to stay at launch prices for long are in for a surprise.

It's also unlikely the cost will be anywhere near where it was in the Weekend Beta, considering everyone received 2000 free gems and knew they had to spend it that weekend.  That's probably like $20 worth of gems.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Originally posted by Atlan99

If you continued reading my post, you'll note I agree there's a LOT of variables, and these numbers can and will change.

However, my point stands that unless inflation goes completely apecrap, gems will be affordable enough with ingame currentcy that I can purchase a reasonable number of items without cash. And the game is quite playable without most of it, excepting perhaps a few more character slots for us altaholics.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

If you continued reading my post, you'll note I agree there's a LOT of variables, and these numbers can and will change.

However, my point stands that unless inflation goes completely apecrap, gems will be affordable enough with ingame currentcy that I can purchase a reasonable number of items without cash. And the game is quite playable without most of it, excepting perhaps a few more character slots for us altaholics.

The problem is your basing your prices on what Arenanet set as the price.

This has no basis in reality yet. It is a random number that hasn't been affected by the markets yet.

Inflation should go a bit crazy as people level.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

If you burn cash like crazy in the CS, GW2 *might* cost you a fortune. Not like if someone's going to hold a gun to your head though.

This thread is even more pointless than all the pay2win threads.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by holyman1981

no item shop in GW 2, the only things u can buy are for ex: more charr slots or things like that...

And bag slots and exp and karma boost

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    The major difference when comparing prices is what you get and how long it lasts. Sure, in games that you play up to max level in a month it would get steep quick to pay for bags/banks on each character. GW2 utilizes the whole game throughout so you can play for a longer period of time on one character thus stretching the price comparison out.

With this in mind, and if you can use in game gold to get bags/banks, a person playing a decent amount of the content on x amount of characters would have more than enough to avoid paying real money for them.

Unless you are someone who must have it all right now you'll be fine. Casual Alt-oholics will be kind of screwed though lol

Just not worth my time anymore.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

There is no doubt that you will need to spend money on GW2, but as long as it is $15 a month or less is there really a problem competing with the other mmos out there?

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    @Sorrow

There is a problem if you're marketing it as fully B2P with a cash shop that is marketed as only convenience. In reality, the game looks to be more than P2P quality so I agree <15 would be fine. Any good MMO needs income to continue development but I also like honesty in marketing.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Originally posted by Sorrow

There is no doubt that you will need to spend money on GW2, but as long as it is $15 a month or less is there really a problem competing with the other mmos out there?

still i dont know why people say i need to have spend money on shop. what is so important to buy on shop? because i see on many post that "you need" " you must" buy something from shop. 

• ColtifusColtifus Member Posts: 2

no u don't "need" to spend money.  takes 10 seconds to travel to a vendor then back to where u were. also in beta u could buy gems with in game gold so i would assume it'll be there in release

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Well I doubt that there's no doubt :P There's no current item in the cash shop that I feel I need to buy to be able to play the game or be on the same gameplay level that other players are.

Everything in there is convenience, there's nothing that I see as an advantage.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by travamars

To enjoy the game to the fullest you will need bags and bank slots and if you say you dont your an idiot!

That is the constant complaint with any F2P game. But i guess since this is GW2 all of a sudden you dont need bags or bank space...give me a fucking break!!!!!

Grow up people! Just grow the fuck up and stop sucking up to brand names! It's a F2P cash shop sucking game. Get over it!

I don't enjoy the game more if I have more bagspace or bank slots, so no I don't need those to be able to enjoy it to the fullest.

The default storage space is more than enough for me.

With the 20 slot crafted bags, you must be pathetically lazy if you walk around with full bags (as in not willing to spend 1 min to port forth and back but only if you forgot to sell trash when you passed a vendor). Stuff I don't need I sell as soon as I pass the next vendor, which are everywhere across each map. And crafting mats don't take space so the only stuff you're carrying is vendor trash, weapons for switching and consumables.

The bank space is also more than enough unless you're a horder that saves even the most useless items.

Originally posted by lilHeala

To enjoy the game to the fullest you will need bags and bank slots and if you say you dont your an idiot!

That is the constant complaint with any F2P game. But i guess since this is GW2 all of a sudden you dont need bags or bank space...give me a fucking break!!!!!

Grow up people! Just grow the fuck up and stop sucking up to brand names! It's a F2P cash shop sucking game. Get over it!

I don't enjoy the game more if I have more bagspace or bank slots, so no I don't need those to be able to enjoy it to the fullest.

With the 20 slot crafted bags, you must be pathetically lazy if you walk around with full bags (as in not willing to spend 1 min to port forth and back but only if you forgot to sell trash when you passed a vendor). Stuff I don't need I sell as soon as I pass the next vendor, which are everywhere across each map. And crafting mats don't take space so the only stuff you're carrying is vendor trash, weapons for switching and consumables.

The bank space is also more than enough unless you're a horder that saves even the most useless items.

cant say how much i agree wih you

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

Originally posted by lilHeala

cant say how much i agree wih you

nice counter man i hate when people start tolling around without knowing anything about the game... they always try to find something to blame even if it is nonsense

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

still i dont know why people say i need to have spend money on shop. what is so important to buy on shop? because i see on many post that "you need" " you must" buy something from shop. 

You don't.  Just that some people are still in panic mode over GW2's cash shop even though most other games have them, it's the topic of the moment, people will get tired of bitching sooner or later.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

I called it , gamers found something else to whine about... They expect DEVS to work for free!!!!

I like the gamers  to work for free can I go to your work and expect eveyrthing for free to??? Poeple amaze me every day, I think some of you people need to find a new hooby if gaming is not expensive for you..!!

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

I called it , gamers found something else to whine about... They expect DEVS to work for free!!!!

I like the gamers  to work for free can I go to your work and expect eveyrthing for free to??? Poeple amaze me every day, I think some of you people need to find a new hooby if gaming is not expensive for you..!!

one thing is say i have the OPTION to buy stuff on shop, other thing is say i NEED to buy stuff on shop. for now i dont see anything i need to buy, exp boost, bags/bank slots etc, caracter slots, i just dont need them so i will not buy them. i dont expect game is free, i already pay 55€ how can that be free? 

and if someday i want anything from shop i will just gonna buy gems to players, in the end i can ensure you i will just pay for game and future expansion not evem 1€ more. this seem very complicated for some people on this forum understand, if you want spend € on shop im fine with that, but that isnt the reality for all people. 

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Time to pay up or get grinding, what did people think they were going to get a free game or something!

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

You dont have to buy these options but they do make your gameplay easier.

I for one will buy some of them because it supports the games development, and I cant ever have enough bag space :)

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I'm glad to see that most people get it. The cash shop is optional. Arenanet doesn't give you a bare minimum of bag slots, in order to force you to buy more slots, they give you a healthy amount of slots by default, in line with what most MMORPGs give you. Plus, there are a lot of features and tools that make dealing with inventory a lot easier and efficient.

Don't forget that all your crafting materials go in their own special section of your vault, with a slot dedicated for each mat, so one of the biggest inventory cloggers isn't even an issue in GW2.

I notice that no one is really complaining over the cash shop buffs anymore, because it's clear they aren't a big deal either and are just completely uneconomical.

I get it though, some fans of other games hope to stir up this issue in order to drive some potential customers away from the game. Hopefully people more recent to the game can see through these tactics for what they are.

Everything isn't perfect with the cash shop. Some things should be cheaper, (which would probably just mean Arenanet would sell more of them, making up for the price cuts). Some things that are character bound should be account wide. As players provide feedback, hopefully prices will be adjusted and there will be solid common ground between the publisher and the customers that will lead to a successful cash shop where fans feel they are treated fairly. However, making the view that some expenses are mandatory, or even just so overwhelmingly necassary that there will be extraordinary pressure to make certain purchases to enjoy the game, are just plain false.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

No doubt? Can you list one item from the cash shop in the last beta that I will need to buy to enjoy GW2?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by Charlizzard

No doubt? Can you list one item from the cash shop in the last beta that I will need to buy to enjoy GW2?

What about when they start selling expansion skills in the cash shop? Will you be paying box prices for additional areas and instances as well ?  The whole point of GW1 b2p model was frequent expansions that offerd new areas and skills, i cant imagine them dropping this for GW2

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Well you can't say the ones that don't like the cash shop in this game expect devs to work for free since you have to buy the game. They expect them to work for less :P.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Crunchy221

Originally posted by Charlizzard

What about when they start selling expansion skills in the cash shop? Will you be paying box prices for additional areas and instances as well ?  The whole point of GW1 b2p model was frequent expansions that offerd new areas and skills, i cant imagine them dropping this for GW2

GW2 is releasing with hundreds of hours of content that has significant replay value due to the nature of DEs. The developers have already indicated that they will be "rotating" dynamic events in different areas post-launch, introducing new, free content.

Of course I expect them to release an expansion in a year or so. That's not cash shop that's an expansion. The only developer I haven't seen charge for major new content so far is Rift and I applaud them for that, but there you're paying $15/month so I would hope that money is buying something. WoW has a sub fee and charges box price for expansions every 2 years.

This question is what is in the cash shop that is necessary that would would require spending money on a monthly basis.

If you think that they will be selling dungeons in the cash shop that is pure conjecture. Yet I guess this is in-line with the campaign you've been waging in other GW2 threads.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

This discussion has been closed.