Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Faction?

KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262

So usually I'm against these kinds of threads, but with the entire front page filled with doomsday threads I figured we might as well discus some lighter subjects: Which faction is everyone going to roll(if you were to play the game), are you happy with the composition, etc...

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Whaaa...?

Dunmer and Argonian are in the same faction?!

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Wait nooooo. I clicked on the Aldmeri but I meant to click ebonheart! I want to play Argonian but I saw Khajiit and got confused and clicked and what do I do?  

What has been clicked cannot be unclicked!

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I'll be a member of the Retake Elder Scrolls faction, and will Fus Roh Dah the rest into a dragons mouth ;)

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

With this thread you already are gonna see the problems.

Because factions is based off the race, you will forever see a problem of Guilds all have to roll one of the three races available to play together. Then you will have problems of certain factions becoming more popular because a race is popular.

Then you will have the Same imbalance of population that plagues so many current MMO in the market.

I think its just a bad idea all around to bound Factions to race.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• desirieldesiriel Member Posts: 98

Well, even faction choice is a bit of a warm subject so I suggest to change the poll to something like "Where will u spend your next summer holidays ?"...

Jeeez, whoever made this mess at Bethesda should look for an underground bunker for the next 10 years.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Lucioon

Because factions is based off the race, you will forever see a problem of Guilds all have to roll one of the three races available to play together. Then you will have problems of certain factions becoming more popular because a race is popular.

Then you will have the Same imbalance of population that plagues so many current MMO in the market.

It's not so simple imo, it would be silly to have equal amount of Orcs, Dunmer, Bretons, Nords, Argonians, Altmer, Redguard etc in the Aldmeri Dominion for example, and that would be the case if you could just pick a race and choose whatever faction. It's like having World War 2 and there would be just as many Brits in axis as there were in the western alliance, or having half of the Japanese fighting under the alliance flag, having the same amount of Americans fighting for the axis as there were on the alliance etc. because your not bound to your faction. Makes sense?

Hey the aliens attacked earth, what, half of humanity joined the aliens and half of the aliens joined the earth defense forces because hey, your not bound to your faction. Sometimes it just makes sense for certain races to fight under the same banner, and I'm still waiting for the details on the backstory of this game and these alliances, nobody knows what's going on.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by Kuinn

It's not so simple imo, it would be silly to have equal amount of Orcs, Dunmer, Bretons, Nords, Argonians, Altmer, Redguard etc in the Aldmeri Dominion for example, and that would be the case if you could just pick a race and choose whatever faction. It's like having World War 2 and there would be just as many Brits in axis as there were in the western alliance, or having half of the Japanese fighting under the alliance flag, having the same amount of Americans fighting for the axis as there were on the alliance etc. because your not bound to your faction. Makes sense?

Hey the aliens attacked earth, what, half of humanity joined the aliens and half of the aliens joined the earth defense forces because hey, your not bound to your faction. Sometimes it just makes sense for certain races to fight under the same banner, and I'm still waiting for the details on the backstory of this game and these alliances, nobody knows what's going on.

I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense.  I just don't feel that placing hard-coded restrictions on faction play is the way to go.  They could just as easily give large bonuses to same-race guilds upon creation as well as extra bonuses on faction play.  Bonuses big enough to make a big impact.  This way, the majority of players will choose this route, while not being forced to do it if they feel that they want to be a really nice Dunmer or Orc and be everyones friend.  It won't make everyone choose a same-race faction and guild, but most will.  I think that is enough.

I wish I knew more about the backstory.  Though I do realize that most people won't pay attention to the lore.  Even if it is one of the most crucial aspects of a TES game.  There is a certain racism in TES games, and today's gamer won't get that, nor will they be willing to roleplay it, even semi-seriously.  A pseudo-DAOC style layout would really help this.  Everyone needs their own starting zones to give them a feel of home.  This game needs to be designed to give players a feeling of pride for their race and homeland. 

I won't hold my breath.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by DAS1337

Originally posted by Kuinn

I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense.  I just don't feel that placing hard-coded restrictions on faction play is the way to go.  They could just as easily give large bonuses to same-race guilds upon creation as well as extra bonuses on faction play.  Bonuses big enough to make a big impact.  This way, the majority of players will choose this route, while not being forced to do it if they feel that they want to be a really nice Dunmer or Orc and be everyones friend.  It won't make everyone choose a same-race faction and guild, but most will.  I think that is enough.

I wish I knew more about the backstory.  Though I do realize that most people won't pay attention to the lore.  Even if it is one of the most crucial aspects of a TES game.  There is a certain racism in TES games, and today's gamer won't get that, nor will they be willing to roleplay it, even semi-seriously.  A pseudo-DAOC style layout would really help this.  Everyone needs their own starting zones to give them a feel of home.  This game needs to be designed to give players a feeling of pride for their race and homeland. 

I won't hold my breath.

Something like that would be good sure. Let people start on their own factions backyard and starting zone, let people know why they should be in this faction as that race, what's going on etc, but if they absolutely must join some other faction, let them, but with a little bit more work required for it. Something like that *shrug* Well, we get what we get as we always do :P

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

BTW how will Brotherhood of assassins play into the game, since its not bound by race or factions, its based on loyalty to the brotherhood.

Same goes with Thief guild, and warrior's guild, they aren't based on race restrictions or faction restrictions. They were open to all players regardless of race.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• reap3rzxreap3rzx Member Posts: 41

Their racial divides into factions was a big mistake IMO. Dunmer and Nords? Bosmer and Altimer? WTF? Those guys hate eachother.

They should have had 3 factions with different ideals that any race can join. That way you can join a side with a philosophy on how to rule Tamriel, not be stuck to a faction with races that traditionally hate each other on the same team.

I'll be making a Breton though, like I do in every game.

EDIT:

It'd have been even better if up until a certain level you were faction-less and you start in your races homeland. Then, at a certain level, your personal story will have you join up with one of the 3 factions based on what you learn about them in game.