Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Guild Wars 2 vs TERA

Comments

• maxcancermaxcancer Member UncommonPosts: 20

the problem do not exist, NOW i play to tera, when GW2 go in release I am already tired to tera so i'll play to GW2..... simply and fast

• zinkerzzinkerz Member UncommonPosts: 174

Originally posted by Paragus1

GW2 Vs TERA, I guess it was bound to happen.   GW2 for wins hands down.   I will yield the fact that TERA might have a more unrestricted combat system, but GW2 also offers more freedom in terms of dodging over the standard MMO.

The issue is this:  I would gladly give up a little of the freedom as GW2 does in exchange for not having to grind through the quest hubs of generic quests nobody will read, grind Asian style while surrounded by little people with bunny ears, and pay $15 a month do to it.   GW2 offers everything TERA does and does it better without a monthly fee, in exchange for a little less open combat system (again better than every other theme park).

No way TERA survives in the West longer than 60-90 days as a big name in the market.   Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 (both with no fee to play) will give players no reason to pay a monthly fee for a game that outside of it's combat is a complete rehash carbon copy of all the bargain bin MMOs that have come before it.  It breaks the mold, but not enough to justify paying a monthly fee when the market will be offering people equal or better alternatives without one.

THIS

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

I'll say this, people most people in this thread don't seem to understand GW2 combat system , its far deeper than most realize.

There are things about gw2 that are weak, class roles are non distingishable (for what i believe is for the worse) and itemization is POOR (which i think is for the worse also).

But the changes we see in GW2 should be in every next gen mmorpg, cooperative play (everyone wins, workign together to kill a camp of baddies), Inerative comabt that is proactive and reactionary all at the same time, with many different forms of attack (most are dodgeable, but some are not, aoes , gtaoes, cone aoes, single target and aimed directional; i mean ty for some variity) Then on top of that you see a system that requires players to use approperate skills, then use skills to counter etc. Its impressive.

Comparison of the combat is honestly just sad, and illinformed? Did you know that almost every heal that hits other people has to be aimmed or aimmed at the ground by the player? Did you know the heals that don't are 1 pbaoe, or 2 have an effect around the mob you are targeting (thus you have to target the correct mob; and both of these are far more rare then the aimed ones)? Did you know all friendly (non-self) buffs fall into this scheme. So as for healing its pretty darm close to what tera has for aim requirement, minus the fact that you do it on the move or not (ability) maybe insta or not, and your never stuck in place.  That reality is out there support in gw2 is by far more action based than in tera.  Go throught the other "roles" you'll find the same, some dps weapons may be less then tera but most arn't, and tanking well , tankign and elite/w/e  mobs in gw2 take a TON more movement that even dungeon bosses in tera. most abilities 1 shot if not 2 shot (you have to move, tanks might take 3-4 shots, you have to move). In the area of action combat GW2 has this won hands down. PS have you seen or played melee in gw2 you have the entire position based attacks that move you on many of the weaposn and their abilities that you have in Tera. 

Well that was a poorely written block of text.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• QahlelQahlel Member Posts: 3

B=Buy, F=Free, P=Play, W=Win -> F2P=B2W; B2P=F2W -> B2P>F2P -> TERA>GW2

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by catplay

Originally posted by Thorbrand

I am surpised that the mods haven't shut down this Discussions since they are not simular games.

I played both of a weekend and it is obvious which game I will play.

I hated Tera from the start for many reasons.

Fell in love with GW2 15mins of playing.

Does that make one better than the other? NO!

It just means I like GW2 more than Tera.

you see.. thats just you, you dont like Tera and you like GW2.

I like TERA more that GW2.

Why mods should shut down it? Because peoples do not like the game you like? See my point?

No you don't see the point he is making. He isn't saying because he likes GW2 they should lock the thread. He is saying it should be locked because the thread is a useless discussion.

If he thinks the thread is useless then he should not have contributed to the thread by giving his vote to Guild Wars 2. He should have just said the thread is useless and left it at that. image

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by Qahlel

B=Buy, F=Free, P=Play, W=Win -> F2P=B2W; B2P=F2W -> B2P>F2P -> TERA>GW2

Your logic is pretty far off there. I think even the most hardcore fans of Tera can agree.

for one GW2 is not F2P. Just like every other game you buy you don't have to pay the dev's every month to play the game you bought. F2P is a game that costs NOTHING to jump into, hence FREE to play. This is not even opinion, its kind of fact.

Secondly both Tera and GW2 are B2P to a certain extent. Except you must keep buying Tera.

Thirdly F2P != B2W. Buy to win means the cash shop has some sort of way to give everyone a leg up in the game who doesn't buy it.

The GW2 cash shop only features cosmetic items like plush dolls and mobile banks. Furthermore none of the shop items effect PvP period. Only PvE. Going even further the shop items can be purchased with gems as well. Gems can be obtained from real life money OR in game money. So if you want that mobile bank you can just buy the gemss with your gold stacks and buy him still. He has an in-game price tag and a real money price tag.

So not only are all of the cash shop items irrelevent to PvP, and cosmetic in PvE, but they are also available in the game to buy with your coin and not your credit card if you so choose.

This is as far from B2W as possible. You want B2W? I can go onto Tera and buy heaps of gold from any one of the gold farmers. From there I can purchase all kinds of advanced PvP gear to go gank noobs. THAT is B2W. I have used my monitery influence outside of the game to just skip ahead of the competition. That's impossible in GW2 for the above reasons.

• Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Ill bet a steak dinner that GW2 pre-puchases >= Terra's launch sales.

Anybody have the terra #s?
  • parrotjhparrotjh Member Posts: 1

I don't understand how you can look at GW2 and say that the pvp isn't better, it is 100% skill based pvp(no gear) Every other mmo you spend 100's of hours grinding gear with the sole purpose of being on an even footing with other people that do the same, that is mmo pvp and it sucks.  People play FPS and BOA style games where you earn nothing but rating, and they do it because its fun, not because they gain more gear giving them an unfair advantage for their next game.  

The best part of wow for me was high level arena where everyone had the same gear and you just played against skilled people trying to work well as a team and that is exactly what GW2 has from the start.  No worrying that the charicter you leveled ends up being the weak pvper and you have to reroll and gear another charicter just to play pvp competitively.   

Also I have tried tera and I just don't get how they figured making combat different then leaving the painfully boring grind level/questing in the game was ok.  Most games are trying to do away with the crap leveling (swtor, gw2, tsw) and tera ends up being the worst feeling leveling game I have played in a long time.  Does anyone even read any quest info at all?  I did 24 levels without reading a single quest,  or dieing at all or being challenged at all.   I died 10+ times before level 8 on my char warrior during the beta weekend and it was great.  The further I got the less I died because combat was skill based and you just don't realize it at early levels cause its such a new concept for early game mmos.  

Last off how amazing it is to not hear in chat 'need healer for X" or 'need tank for Y"   I played healers in every mmo I have ever played because I knew from my eq days that nothing gets done without them and most people hate playing them.  

If it isn't obvious I will be playing GW2 on launch,  I already can't bring myself to play tera cause I think I am just done with grinding a MMO, after 13 years of it I just can't take any more of playing parts of a game that just arn't fun in search of the fun part of the game.  

• FiredornFiredorn Member UncommonPosts: 93

Hmm...decided to take a break from gaming and came on here.

This comment thread is evolving into a babylonian tower of text.  Much of it makes no sense and the communications are breaking down.  I'm going back to my game.  L8R!

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by Purgatus

Originally posted by corpusc

we're ALL winners when we got TWO quality MMOs coming out, at nearly the same time, that are FINALLY shaking shit up.

this is great for us ALL, and even better for the future of the MMO space.  these games are helping to break MMOs out of the Dark Ages, and into a whole new era.

its just the beginning.

I like the sentiment, but this discussion is not about "which one am I getting", it's about, "why would I like this as opposed to this". Just making sure that the merits of both games are transparent, so gamers can make informed choices.

Just saying "they're both good" does not help.

just saying      'Just saying "they're both good" does not help'     does not help either then.

the point is, WE are helped by BOTH games..... regardless of whether we;

like them both,...... DISLIKE them both,...... or any OTHER combination. 

their very existence is a BIG HELP to the MMO "genre".

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• amadeuzamadeuz Member Posts: 73

for me GW2 > TERA in any way

• ElethonElethon Member UncommonPosts: 138

"In fact, I actually think TERA might be more fun for me than SWTOR ever was."

/agree

• BnblueBnblue Member Posts: 6

I'm not gonna bash Tera as I've not played it but it does look pretty much the same old same old and I might well have tried it but having played the gw2 weekend and the game being B2P, can't see me playing anything else for awhile!

With regards to melee in GW2 being more diffIcult/worse than ranged, much case of l2p as myself got bored sniping from the back yes it has it's time and place but running into a pack of enimies smacking face with ma mace, turning when time called to make a hasty retreat, loling at how frikking awesome this game is!

• Rikus25Rikus25 Member Posts: 82

All I got to say is I want my money back from buying Tera. Its a pretty environment but......well thats it. Next I will try GW2 but personally I am tired of the same MMO wheel.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by Purgatus

we're ALL winners when we got TWO quality MMOs coming out, at nearly the same time, that are FINALLY shaking shit up.

this is great for us ALL, and even better for the future of the MMO space.  these games are helping to break MMOs out of the Dark Ages, and into a whole new era.

its just the beginning.

I like the sentiment, but this discussion is not about "which one am I getting", it's about, "why would I like this as opposed to this". Just making sure that the merits of both games are transparent, so gamers can make informed choices.

Just saying "they're both good" does not help.

just saying      'Just saying "they're both good" does not help'     does not help either then.

While that may be true, it has no bearing on this discussion. This is for people who are interested in both, but can only get one. The idea that they both have a positive impact on MMO's DOES NOT MATTER in that context.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Disagree. Nearly every MMO since 2005 has basically been "Copy WoW's details, implement them less skillfully, and add the new gameplay feature x, and the new option y."

TERA: copy WoW's details, implement them horrendously (the worst questing out of any game I've ever played, including Eastern FTP games), adding real time action combat and the option to engage in an end game political system.

This does not help the MMO genre. If you're going to change base gameplay, change the entire F*ing gameplay details from the ground up to make the experience cohesive. I applaud ArenaNet for being the only ones who seem to have realized this.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

TERA has been released for over a year (in Korea).  GW2 is still in beta.  And yet in comparisons.....I'm seeing a lot of GW2>TERA, so I'm anxious to see this kind of comparison article WHEN IT'S ACTUALLY MORE FAIR and at least both games have been released.

I haven't played TERA so I can't judge it, but GW2 is going to be my new MMO once it's out....that much I can say.  I don't like the graphics of TERA and I don't like them enough that I won't be playing it.  That's pretty big hate for the graphics there....or should I say art style.  Yes, art style.  Eww icky gross.  GW2.....ahh soft, beautiful, entrancing.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I tried asking this on a similar discussion thread but it seems to have died. So here it is.

"This is a serious question and I'm not trying to start a heated discussion. My copy of Tera should be here Tuesday now and I'm looking forward to it and it's PvP. My question is GW2 has objectives in WvWvW like protecting/aquiring supplies, destroying/holding keeps, etc. In Tera what do you do other than smack one another? I watched a couple good Guild vs Guild videos but didn't really understand much more about it. "

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

i tryed both some few hours and have much more fun on GW2. Tera have amazing graphics ( personaly i hate the style, to much asian for me) and a excelent combat system but the rest is like any other MMORPG. 

i cant see people say Tera is PvP and GW2 is Pve.

in GW2 you have sPvP (real skil combats) and WvW (need lot of cooperation between guilds). what Tera have? (i ask because i really dont know beside the normal PvP).

in terms os PvE cant compare, PvE of GW2 is much better than Tera. 

• Garrok1Garrok1 Member Posts: 7

KK. Sorry, but I don't see how this article works. Tera was terrible. Literally, I rage quitted. The combat system, which is shitty in comparison to a good action game only held my attention for a few minutes.  The characters were ridiculous: I had a dragon guy in a fucking blue blouse hitting people with an axe, an elf whose armor is underwear, and a fucking weird man-rabbit. The only redeeming quality for me was the graphics, but graphics don't mean anything when I spend LITERALLY 4 fucking quests killing the same damn mobs. Oh those tree guys you just killed? Go kill 10 more, but this time get their hearts instead of their toes. WTF? The quests were plain BORING, and no really cruddy "action combat" system is going to make and break the game for me. Why? Because the action combat system is terrible. Just terrible. Maybe if it brought an action combat system someone would expect from a newly released title these days, but it doesn't-and just because it is in an MMO doesn't justify it. Shitty Asian game built off of a lacking combat system that fails to deliver. Will go free to play after people realize that they are tired of terrible hack and slash.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

i tryed both some few hours and have much more fun on GW2. Tera have amazing graphics ( personaly i hate the style, to much asian for me) and a excelent combat system but the rest is like any other MMORPG. 

i cant see people say Tera is PvP and GW2 is Pve.

in GW2 you have sPvP (real skil combats) and WvW (need lot of cooperation between guilds). what Tera have? (i ask because i really dont know beside the normal PvP).

in terms os PvE cant compare, PvE of GW2 is much better than Tera. 

Dont forget dynamic events if u "know how to do them RIGHT" its freaking awesome !

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Garrok1

KK. Sorry, but I don't see how this article works. Tera was terrible. Literally, I rage quitted. The combat system, which is shitty in comparison to a good action game only held my attention for a few minutes.  The characters were ridiculous: I had a dragon guy in a fucking blue blouse hitting people with an axe, an elf whose armor is underwear, and a fucking weird man-rabbit. The only redeeming quality for me was the graphics, but graphics don't mean anything when I spend LITERALLY 4 fucking quests killing the same damn mobs. Oh those tree guys you just killed? Go kill 10 more, but this time get their hearts instead of their toes. WTF? The quests were plain BORING, and no really cruddy "action combat" system is going to make and break the game for me. Why? Because the action combat system is terrible. Just terrible. Maybe if it brought an action combat system someone would expect from a newly released title these days, but it doesn't-and just because it is in an MMO doesn't justify it. Shitty Asian game built off of a lacking combat system that fails to deliver. Will go free to play after people realize that they are tired of terrible hack and slash.

Your words, although somewhat disturbing, make me ponder my choice in buying the game which I haven't recieved yet! Oh well, I will play it anyway and decide for myself. I played in the beta up until those trees you described and the 1st beta and then I played a little on the 3rd beta starting at level 20 but didn't get to play long. Thank you for your vulgar comments. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Amjoco

I tried asking this on a similar discussion thread but it seems to have died. So here it is.

"This is a serious question and I'm not trying to start a heated discussion. My copy of Tera should be here Tuesday now and I'm looking forward to it and it's PvP. My question is GW2 has objectives in WvWvW like protecting/aquiring supplies, destroying/holding keeps, etc. In Tera what do you do other than smack one another? I watched a couple good Guild vs Guild videos but didn't really understand much more about it. "

This is a feature that is still being designed and has yet to be fully implemented.

The PvP system for TERA is still in the development stage. TERA will most likely offer different server types. Battlegrounds and PvP rewards will be an important part of the endgame content of TERA.

This lists what is currently in place:

http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/pvp

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Dawnbr3aker

saying Tera combat system is light-years away from others isnt it a little too much? I admit I am a gw2 fan, but I had much more fun playing GW2 beta than Tera beta. Everything i enjoyed much more over Tera. I didnt play Tera beta though, maybe it gets better, idk. Maybe it takes more getting use to to enjoy the game. But its just not for me I guess.

I agree. I realize that different people like different thing (shocking, I know), but that kind of hyperbole isn't helpful in what would consider to be a professional review. You can argue that GW2 is a tab target game, except it's not. You don't have to be tabbed on to your target to damage it. If you are tabbed on to your target and are either too far away or not facing them then you can use your ability but it will be wasted. Thera is some animation lock in game but it is extremely limited.

Tera's aim is interesting but the lack of localized damage for me means it doesn't go far enough IMO. If you could, say, target an arm and cripple it, I would say that makes it "light years ahead". The combat lock is typical for this type of genre and many people say it's an integral part of the strategy. This means you don't spam abilities. I would argue that in GW2 you CAN spam abilities off of cooldown but this is not optimal play as they are designed to be used situationally.

At any rate, some people will like one, some the other, some will like both. In their own way they both try and change the genre which is helpful. Setting them up in a "head to head" competition doesn't make a lot of sense and because people tend to be so passionate about what they like, and so biased about what they don't like, discussion is challenging at best.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• escarretaescarreta Member Posts: 99

Tera is the only game P2P with cash shop, nice innovation......