Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs

Comments

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Rohn

In my opinion, Mortal Online is currently the closest thing to an Elder Scrolls MMO that there is right now.

When Elder Scrolls Online is released, Mortal Online will still be the closest thing to an Elder Scrolls MMO there is.

Zenimax isn't creating a TES game experience in an MMO form, they are creating a stock standard MMO with a TES skin.

Mortal Online is nothing like Elder Scrolls, and it's a bug ridden mess with shady developers.

Mortal isn't even a sandbox game, just a deathmatch arena made by some kids whose only experience was making mods in Unreal. There is literally nothing to do but PvP for no reason over and over and over and over till you quit from either boredom, the terrible state of the games code, a GM helps another guild take your keep. Yep folks, a full loot PvP game where the GM's help their friends on a regular basis.

• rx8993rx8993 Member UncommonPosts: 17

if they make it sub based, no one will play it i belive, since there is skyrim online mod... for free... and anything they add in that mmo, people will add in skyrim... so, why pay monthly when u can have it for free?

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by Elikal

I really don't know how so many already have such a clear opinion about a MMO we barely know anything of? I mean, I dislike the news because it probably means no more single player games, which would suck. And the hero engine is in a bad reputation since SWTOR.

But other than that, I see no reason to love or hate this news. This info is all very limited. In the end, only trying out a game really shows how good or bad it is.

People feel strongly about it because it's does not have the features we've come to associate with a proper TES game. At least I do. And the Hero Engine is not helping either.

I can understand and somewhat share that feeling. But I really want to wait for the game itself. I can accept an Elder Scrolls MMO is different that a single player game. If the MMO is good, it can be different. My biggest gripe is, that we may not see new single player games, THAT would suck.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Betel

Mortal Online is nothing like Elder Scrolls, and it's a bug ridden mess

Elder Scrolls is a also a bug riddled mess since 1994. Seems like the games have more in common than you think.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

Oh boy, I was just waiting for yet another generic tab targetting wow-clone which puts their story and IP up front before anything else. THANKS GUYS!

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by joocheese

If they take their time and ensure that it is done right, similarlly to Anet's GW2, then yes, ESO will be epic beyond anything we've ever seen before. But... and its a big BUT... if they pull the same sh*t as they did with LOTRO, WAR and SWTOR, then ESO will be just another huge and epic dissapointment.

Bethesda, if you're reading this please give Anet a call and get some tips from them. Avoid EA!

Bethesda is not creating this game, but ZeniMax Online Studio, with is owned by ZeniMax who also owns Bethesda. So small change EA will get involved. Also this IP has one big advantage over the others. It's actually there own IP. They do not have to spar with other big poeple to change or alter things and should have more control over content and story. 

• wodnywodny Member UncommonPosts: 21

Nothing?!

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

This is not going to be a typical Elder Scrolls game judging by these quotes from an article:

"The game will also use a hotbar to activate skills like many classic MMOs and will vissually resemble other current online multiplayer games, including "Star Wars: The Old Republic."

"Players will not be able to transform themselves into werewolves or vampires and there will be no flying mounts, player housing, non-playable character (NPC) romance or marriage, and no dragons in the upcoming game."

"the game will use genre standards like classes and experience point based leveling up."

""Elder Scrolls Online" will feature raids and heroic mode for its dungeons"

"The combat system will not play out in real time. Instead it will be based on a stamina bar, allowing the player to sprint, block, interrupt or break incapacitating effects."

So if they stick by what they said in the article ESO will be more like WoW minus flying mounts than the Elder Scrolls series. Even with fantastic PvP like DAoC, it still sounds like they're making a non-Elder Scrolls game. Please wake me up from this nightmare. image

• klyberessklyberess Member Posts: 2

Seems like a run-of-the-mill MMO to me. I'll reserve my judgement, of course.

• UccisoreUccisore Member UncommonPosts: 96

This seems like a mistake to me.   The entire appeal of Elder Scrolls games is that you get the MMO benefits of bigness and exploration and epic setting,  while benefitting from it being a single player game in that you can actually permanently change the world, be THE hero, and have a gripping story that's about YOU without everything being reset every 3 minutes so the guy behind you in line can do it.  Once the game has to start making multiplayer concessions- i.e., you can't kill any NPCs without them immediately reappearing, you can't make a big pile of skulls in the middle of town, the various ability paths actually having to be somewhat balanced....I see nothing that would set this apart from every other MMO. 

• CorpocesCorpoces Member UncommonPosts: 20

Mark my words, this will be an instance centric game and they will have a cash shop.

As much as I love the whole idea, I do not have high hopes that this game will bring anything but maybe 1 new concept to the MMO genre. Also, I do not believe this game will be anything more then a multi-player game. If they do attempt to make a great MMO, then I hope they know that there are many people not happy with the current state of MMOs. If this is going to be another MMO for the quick buck they can make the first 2 months then I will be very upset.

• verynewverynew Member Posts: 12

Uccisore: i.e., you can't kill any NPCs without them immediately reappearing, you can't make a big pile of skulls in the middle of town, the various ability paths actually having to be somewhat balanced....

I don't think those things impossible for MMORPG to handle. Since it's a 3-way war things should be rather fluid in those aspects, with mortal NPC and option to make Skull Piles and since factions made of different races - their affinity to different classes should be different.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by heartless

I really don't know how so many already have such a clear opinion about a MMO we barely know anything of? I mean, I dislike the news because it probably means no more single player games, which would suck. And the hero engine is in a bad reputation since SWTOR.

But other than that, I see no reason to love or hate this news. This info is all very limited. In the end, only trying out a game really shows how good or bad it is.

People feel strongly about it because it's does not have the features we've come to associate with a proper TES game. At least I do. And the Hero Engine is not helping either.

I can understand and somewhat share that feeling. But I really want to wait for the game itself. I can accept an Elder Scrolls MMO is different that a single player game. If the MMO is good, it can be different. My biggest gripe is, that we may not see new single player games, THAT would suck.

That is my biggest issue with this as well.

Of course I will reserve my final judgement on the game when we get more information but simply based on that article, I don't see one thing that appeals to me as a TES fan besides the setting.

• UccisoreUccisore Member UncommonPosts: 96

Originally posted by verynew

Uccisore: i.e., you can't kill any NPCs without them immediately reappearing, you can't make a big pile of skulls in the middle of town, the various ability paths actually having to be somewhat balanced....

I don't think those things impossible for MMORPG to handle. Since it's a 3-way war things should be rather fluid in those aspects, with mortal NPC and option to make Skull Piles and since factions made of different races - their affinity to different classes should be different.

Really? Do YOU want to play an MMORPG where other people can permanently kill interesting NPCs before you meet them,  or heap piles of trash in the streets?

Do you especially want to play it a week after launch?

• VoxTrooperVoxTrooper Member Posts: 87

Shame they decided to go straight for the WoW template. Try and get a slice of an already limited pool. Could have done the smart thing and made it like the actual seiries but with combat cleaned up for multiple players. Could have made a Co-op RPG.  Could have done ANYTHING else and they would not have screwed themselves so badly as to follow the WoW template. THey hinted at the MMO a few months ago and i was waiting calmly but happily. Now i just cant see myself giving a damn.

Anyone else look at the leaked screenshots and mistake the asthetic for DDO? Few of those looked like DDO: Eberron. 

It is best for the industry the MMO throne remains an dusty empty seat never to be filled.

• happytklzhappytklz Member Posts: 128

I (and my son) were both quite excited about SWTOR. He plays it, I don't. It runs terribly on an eleven month old computer. WoW, which is numbing at this point to me, runs beautifully. I am not interested in competing with hardcore gamers, nor in buying a new computer frequently, when fast PC's are becoming increasingly irrelevant unless you are editing video. So while I very much liked the world and the gameplay in the iterations of Elder Scrolls I played in the past, I don't think I'll be rushing to buy any MMO unless I see it run well on a mid-market PC contemporary with its release. I don't understand why developers can't get that few people care about polygon counts. Games are all about the suspension of disbelief, realism is a pointless goal. I'm as tired of WoW as the next person, but the npc's in WoW are fake but alive, the ground feels like it's under my fake feet. SWTOR has dead eyes and unnaturally stiff movement everywhere you look. Will this game escape that trap? I'll watch a friend play it, and then decide. 

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I still say that the aspects people love about TES series will be the exact same aspects they hate once other players are thrown into their world.  The griefing and the overpowered builds would be ridiculous.  The more i think about it, the more i'd rather not see an MMO at all.

• happytklzhappytklz Member Posts: 128

"The game will also use a hotbar to activate skills like many classic MMOs and will vissually resemble other current online multiplayer games, including "Star Wars: The Old Republic."

Caught this and had my skepticism amplified. 

• FrytanFrytan Member Posts: 4

OMGOSH OMGOSH OMGOSH OMGOSH!!!!

DAoC RvR Returns!!

I promise if this happens I'll never ever ever complain or take it for granted again ever again!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Sentime

Here we go.  More mad hype until another broken MMO is released.

Ditto!

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

99% chance of yet another copy of wow.

1% chance of a new innovative and thrilling mmo.

See, Im positive !!

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Wow...some people here hype themselves so much..and even irrationally so...

One only needs to check out the leaked info about the game http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472749 to calm down a bit and set themselves with realistic expectations.

Just because the makers of DAoC are on to this one, does NOT mean that the game is going to be extraordinary as someone you (you know who you are :P) seem to believe.

TBH, I am already disappointed at "the combat model will not be real time due to latency". I wonder what system they have in place to make it feel face paced?

As for now, hope for the best; expect the worst.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

To be realistic, I think we have to accept WoW model dominance for the time being. I just don't see any company will attempt something very different, maybe some fancy small innovation here and there. I still look at the overall feeling before I judge a game. It makes little sense to doomsay over something we know so little.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• StormbowStormbow Member UncommonPosts: 201

Absolutely NO WAY this will turn out to be a good idea.  I'll bet on it.

• verynewverynew Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by Uccisore

Originally posted by verynew

Really? Do YOU want to play an MMORPG where other people can permanently kill interesting NPCs before you meet them,  or heap piles of trash in the streets?

Do you especially want to play it a week after launch?

Think about mirror made of glass - it creates reflection at cost of transparency. If you divide "role" and "character" of NPC, then you can have characters killed and replaced by other characters in their roles, whose former roles would go to other characters. At the same time you can have role of "cleaners" to be lowest in ranks. One day you can make or deny a favor to a cleaner "X" and in a month he might become important official who will remember you and act accordingly. This system would reflect players actions and keep content relatively fresh even without constant patches.