Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You lost me at Hero Engine

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Originally posted by revy66

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Originally posted by Shodanas

@OP & and the other doombringers swarming the TES forum since yesterday:

So, a TES MMO is announced and although we don't have anything solid about the game yet you come here and bitch because you don't like the engine it's build on. I don't know if TES online will be a good or bad game, with ZeniMax chances are 50 / 50, but i do know that it will be a much better place to be without the likes of you. 

Also, you should check the engine's website and try to comprehend it's many features before leaving your ignorant, spiteful and self-righteous comments here. 

Having played WAR and TOR, I am not impressed with the engine nor its capabilities.  You sound just as self righteous as the ones you disparage.  We have plenty of solid evidence of the features and direction of the game, thanks to scanned pages of the Infogamer article, the link even present on this site no less.  Maybe you need to catch up with the rest of us before you make yourself look really silly.

WAR did not use Hero engine...

Yes it did.  The developers said so in interviews that they were using a heavily modified Hero engine.

No, they did not use the hero engine.  They used a heavily modified version of their Dark Age of Camelot engine, which was released well before hero engine had even been thought of.

Edit:  as the poster above said, the engine for WAR is the Gamebryo engine.

Wikipage says WAR uses Gamebryo engine, same engine is used in all the late latest Bethesda games like Skyrim, Fallout etc also Rift, good examples how vastly games can differ even with the same engine.

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Originally posted by Kuinn

I think only an idiot would say "I'll never play a game that runs on engine X" - Unreal engine is the prime example for being an engine that is used in horrible piece of shit games where nothing seem to work and also on some of the best games ever created where wine and honey rains from sky and chocolate grows in the bushes.

I dont like hero engine because of my experiences with it, but I have no idea if Zenimax will have those same problems with the engine if any at all like what TOR has (or had in some cases) for example. I highly doubt there's much in common with TOR hero engine and ESO hero engine, other than the name, only time will tell.

So only an idiot would say "I wont play a game with X type of graphics"?

Please answer, I would love to hear what you have to say on this subject.

Graphics have nothing to do with this and are not comparable subject. The engine does not define the game, see Rift, Skyrim, and Warhammer online using the same engine but they are vastly different. If it would be announced that ESO will have similar graphics to WoW for example then the matter would be totally different since we all know how the game would look like, but right now you dont know what Zenimax can do with the engine, you cant predict it based on the engine choise.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I would have much rather seen the dreamworld engine (engine AoC uses) rather than the hero engine. At least the game would have looked badass, and played like shit, vs looking like shit and playing like shit.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

I think only an idiot would say "I'll never play a game that runs on engine X" - Unreal engine is the prime example for being an engine that is used in horrible piece of shit games where nothing seem to work and also on some of the best games ever created where wine and honey rains from sky and chocolate grows in the bushes.

I dont like hero engine because of my experiences with it, but I have no idea if Zenimax will have those same problems with the engine if any at all like what TOR has (or had in some cases) for example. I highly doubt there's much in common with TOR hero engine and ESO hero engine, other than the name, only time will tell.

Graphics have nothing to do with this and are not comparable subject. The engine does not define the game, see Rift, Skyrim, and Warhammer online using the same engine but they are vastly different. If it would be announced that ESO will have similar graphics to WoW for example then the matter would be totally different since we all know how the game would look like, but right now you dont know what Zenimax can do with the engine, you cant predict it based on the engine choise.

Actually there have been screenshots since this afternoon and the game looks like TOR and RIFT, so yes I can make that judgement and yes it is a comparable subject because so far now BOTH Hero Engine games have the same graphic style and I dont like them so yes I can say the engine is poor.

Actually there have been screenshots since this afternoon and the game looks like TOR and RIFT, so yes I can make that judgement and yes it is a comparable subject because so far now BOTH Hero Engine games have the same graphic style and I dont like them so yes I can say the engine is poor.

You are just going on about how bad you think the engine is in your OP, nothing about graphics. So I replied that engine does not neccessarily mean that the game is like some other game that uses the same engine. Rift and Fallout: New Vegas uses the same engine, do they look the same? Play the same? No.

Also it still isnt comparable subject because even if two games look the same they dont have to run on the same engine, nor will the engine define the gameplay OR graphics to begin with. Lets say Blizzard announces that they are working on a new game using the hero engine, it does not mean that the game would have similar graphics to TOR or share the same gameplay.

You are just going on about how bad you think the engine is in your OP, nothing about graphics. So I replied that engine does not neccessarily mean that the game is like some other game that uses the same engine. Rift and Fallout: New Vegas uses the same engine, do they look the same? Play the same? No.

Also it still isnt comparable subject because even if two games look the same they dont have to run on the same engine, nor will the engine define the gameplay OR graphics to begin with. Lets say Blizzard announces that they are working on a new game using the hero engine, it does not mean that the game would have similar graphics to TOR or share the same gameplay.

Yes your correct, its doesnt nessecarily mean that, but unfortunately it is true that the game is using the same graphics as TOR and RIFT and that it will also feature the same gameplay from TOR, even the voice acting, which I talked about in my OP.

Trust me, its not that I dont get what your trying to say, a engine doesnt have to define a game, but unfortunately this engine does define the game as we have now seen from TOR and the forthcoming ESO. Im sure there will be differences because every game has to at least be a bit different, but at its core its a hero engine game and it suffers, especially under the IP.

So again I understand where your coming from, but unfortunately your just defending a bad engine for the sake of defending it.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by toddze

I cannot beilieve for the life of me people actually defending the Hero Engine. It is not an engine that a major game company should be using to be making an MMO with a high profile title like TES. Nor is it an engine that a true TES fan should be ok with. Shame on you fans for defending that POS engine. I said the exact same thing soon as I heard TOR was using it, and that was well before that ship set sail. 

The Hero engine is a GREAT engine for indie companys to get their foot in the door with an MMO game.

Theres no bigger TES fan than me but this hero engine is red flag #1, and the sh^t I read in the magazine article is red flag #2. I guess if someone likes cheesy linear over done themeparks they should be happy, they will get another 90 day'er. I hope to god I am wrong, god do I ever hope I am wrong, I have never wanted to be more wrong, but I am a realist, not a fanboy nor a troll, I vowed to never let my fan status cloud my judgment again. All I can say is I am far from impressed from what I have seen. 

Agreed This is a clear sign of cost cutting.  So imagine where else they are cutting the costs. 5 years, and you can't figure out how to make a multiplayer elder scroll. YOu're going to release a game that doesnt have one of the basic elder scroll elements, owning property. That's not first person, that has hot bars, that won't have fully customizable classes.  

This is a gamer they wre workign on and decided to paste on elder scroll.  

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

Yes your correct, its doesnt nessecarily mean that, but unfortunately it is true that the game is using the same graphics as TOR and RIFT and that it will also feature the same gameplay from TOR, even the voice acting, which I talked about in my OP.

Trust me, its not that I dont get what your trying to say, a engine doesnt have to define a game, but unfortunately this engine does define the game as we have now seen from TOR and the forthcoming ESO. Im sure there will be differences because every game has to at least be a bit different, but at its core its a hero engine game and it suffers, especially under the IP.

So again I understand where your coming from, but unfortunately your just defending a bad engine for the sake of defending it.

Just for the record Rift is not using Hero Engine but a modified version of the Gamebryo engine. I'd also say hold judgement, they said they will present the game in June at E3 and August at Gamescom, even if it is trailers we can get a taste of what it will be like.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Here are a few MMOs built or being built on the Hero Engine, with links to their MMORPG.com pages (apart from Dominus, where I link to the official website):

Released:

No introduction necessary, I guess. :)

Released But Shut Down:

Shut Down During Testing Phase:

Was a steampunk game in Victorian setting. More about social interaction. 

Seemed to be going for quite some of the points a lot of MMO fans here have been asking: sci-fi MMO with mostly player driver wrold, 3-faction PVP, with some SWG-like touches. Seemed to be at a really early stage of development when cancelled.

In Production:

probably in too early a stage of production

Originally posted by solarine

Here are a few MMOs built or being built on the Hero Engine, with links to their MMORPG.com pages (apart from Dominus, where I link to the official website):

Released:

Released But Shut Down:

Seemed to be going for quite some of the points a lot of MMO fans here have been asking: sci-fi MMO with mostly player driver wrold, 3-faction PVP, with some SWG-like touches. Seemed to be at a really early stage of development when cancelled.

In Production:

Thanks! Hopefully this will at least garner some better response now that people can see Hero Engines obvioulsly stellar Track record!

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

All your graphics are made of plastic.

hero engine gogogo.

And gamebryo is better than hero for sure (its not even an arguement hero is like a poorly coded bad graphic engine ready in a box). But i don't much care for gamebryo. Notice games that make head way in combat, graphics , even style are most often custom or heavy modified engines. Its actually a good indicator if an mmo will be good, did they mod the engine? Why does this matter? Because it measn the devlopers had a vision early on, (io. not peice meal)

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

I'm not defending the hero engine specifically, just saying what I would have said no matter which engine was in question. It's the label "MMORPG" which defines these games, it's like some unwritten law that you need to clone the basic formula and drop in one or two feature of your own and then tell everyone how awesome your game is regardless of the IP and lore at hand, regardless of the engine or any other tech involved. It does not have to be like that but there seems to be no end to it.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Maybe when you want to focus your development time on story and voice overs you take short cuts like buying a game engine instead of making your own.

It also allows a less skilled or talented development house to get by and rush some content out the door.  To me it's a vote of no confidence on their own programmers or a statement of where they think most of their money should be going.  They've already said they aren't capable of doing housing.  That's probably because it would require actual programming.  

I'm not going to get the least bit excited or hyped about this game.  I've been down that road too many times now.

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

im sorry but there is no way a hero engine game can run as well as a inhouse engine game or a unreal/crytek engine.

hero engine is designed for ease of use. it is like java

inhouse/unreal/cyrtek is designed for performance. it is like C

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Why does news about this game keep getting worse by the hour..

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Released:

Released But Shut Down:

In Production:

Thanks! Hopefully this will at least garner some better response now that people can see Hero Engines obvioulsly stellar Track record!

So you are telling us all those games are bad and shut down because of hero engine? you should have stopped after making sily OP but you cointinue to embarrass yourself.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Released:

Released But Shut Down:

In Production:

So you are telling us all those games are bad and shut down because of hero engine? you should have stopped after making sily OP but you cointinue to embarrass yourself.

No, but the Hero engine did not start in a great place and has aged badly.  More importantly, the style of graphics that Hero provides is not suited to an elder scrolls game i.e renowed for being atmospheric and aiming for the realistic end of the market.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Released:

Released But Shut Down:

In Production:

No, but the Hero engine did not start in a great place and has aged badly.  More importantly, the style of graphics that Hero provides is not suited to an elder scrolls game i.e renowed for being atmospheric and aiming for the realistic end of the market.

Check repopulation, Hero Engine is capable of providing atmospheric environments. However. The Elder Scroll games have never been about graphics.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

While there are certain graphics characteristics about an engine used, they do not dictate the art style.

Look at Warhammer and TES series. They both use same engine.

• WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120

I said yesterday that no matter how terrible the game looked i would play simply for being an Elder Scrolls game. That was before I found out that the game was running on the Hero Engine, the same terrible engine that TOR is running on. I dont know who in their right mind decided that the hero engine was gods gift to MMO's but its just aweful. Its one of those typical all fluff and no substance engines and its defiently one of the main reasons TOR failed and will be another reason why ESO fails. 

Seriously this is one of the worst things that could have ever happened to ESO, and it just shows that even bethesda can fall victim to some sly marketing by a poor engine development company that couldnt even realease their OWN mmo with the damn engine. Seriously what are all these people thinking? Couldnt they just make their own in house engine? It all goes down to greed I guess, but the with HERO engine being so expensive to purchase and use is it really worth it in the end for these companys?

Thank Talos (SADFACE) for Guild Wars 2...

Yup, I agree. Was excited until I saw "Hero Engine".

Keep moving...nothing to see here.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Gdemami

While there are certain graphics characteristics about an engine used, they do not dictate the art style.

I'm no expert on this, but I think one of the major issues with the Hero Engine's graphical capabilities is that it's really made for smaller enclosed areas, linear paths, and that sort of zone design.  From what I understand, it doesn't render wide open landscapes very well. 

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

If only people took some time instead of creating a topic as soon as they have something on there mind this forum would be alot better.

Dont just look at SWTOR ur like swtor failed and that was on the hero engine so everything else will also fail on it. Just look what the hero engine can do, to make it easy for you there are even OLD videos on youtube when you type hero engine landscapes made by people using the engine not by sales people. and it looks 100 times better then what SWTOR ever looked like and these are old videos.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by Gdemami

and rift

does rift play like fall out 3????

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Vhaln

I'm no expert on this, but I think one of the major issues with the Hero Engine's graphical capabilities is that it's really made for smaller enclosed areas, linear paths, and that sort of zone design.  From what I understand, it doesn't render wide open landscapes very well. 

Open landscapes like SWTOR Tatooine?

Distance rendering and zone size are 2 different things. 1st is a matter of graphics, 2nd is a matter of design and resource costs - exponential scaling.

Game engine is just a set of tools and while tools might have certain specifics, it still depends on how the tools are used.

HERO engine is still very solid and well scaling engine. What certain developers do with it is another question.

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

I like to base my opinion on fact rather than PR bullcrap and fantasizing about what a certain product could maybe deliver when the stars align and pigs start to fly. The facts we have are that the Hero engine in the only major title using it so far:

1. works well enough in PvE

2. performs poorly in small scale PvP

3. large scale PvP is absolutely unplayable for almost everyone

Until I see some solid evidence to the contrary that's exactly what I'll expect in TES Online.

This discussion has been closed.