Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does any game get a good review on the forums here ?

evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

I was only really shocked at the venom first with SWTOR...and now with GW2..and Diablo 3..and Tera..and Rift..

It makes me wonder if the mmo genre is just gonna die out ? People don't seem to even know what they want in a game anymore, and will universally pan any game that is released.

It seems to me that a game has to be perfect to be considered "good".

This would all be fine if this was just in the forums, but you see it in subs. When you think of the release state of some of the most successfull gams (LOTR, WoW, EQ1/2) the most recent games show a great deal more polish and content then they did at release.

But...

SWTOR HAS NO CONTENT!!! OMFG!!...GW2 IS SHIT!!..RIFT HAS NO ENDGAME!!!

There is no paitience anymore to wait for content to be released. Fresh out-of-the-box games are being compared to MMO's that have matured over half a decade or more (and that you've paid a hell of a lot more for in xpacs and such.)

I personally am thoroughly enjoying SWTOR, and I found GW2 to be a very nice game, especially knowing I wont be paying a sub fee. Rift had great CS, but I think will struggle to stay relevent with their refusal to even consider an expac for at least another year.

Even a game like WAR had a ton of promise, but people fled that game like rats fleeing a sinking ship. A developer alone cannot make an MMO great, the community has to be there. Developers alone can make a game like Skyrim. Developers + a paitient and active community create games like EQ and WoW

Comments

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Welllll the official reviews all ride the nuts of the developers. MMORPG.com ACTUALLLLLLY had a pretty nice review of Rift and it was fair and I am the biggest fanboi on the internet of Rift.

[mod edit]

GW2 reviews are hard to write because how do you write about something that has very little proof or evidence of ever actually working in a mmorpg? You can guess about lag and what end game will be.

Any other review you see is done by a hater. This site is convinient because it works like this:

Rift hater = GW2, TOR, DAoC Server listed in their signature

TOR hater= GW2, Rift, DAoC server listed in their sig

GW2 hater = TOR, Rift, me listed in their sig

Eve hater = everyone else

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    It's often different people doing the bad "reviews" although there are a few people who hate everything I think.

What's interesting is the people that spend a crapload of time bashing one game, then proceed to get really offended and start calling anyone who doesn't like their game trolls. Funny stuff.

I see some people who posted in the SWTOR forum daily acting shocked that anyone could possibly dislike GW 2. Some of these GW 2 fans are quite vicious in attacking anyone who disagrees with them.

Anyway, in answer to your question, there's always people that enjoy every game that comes out. They just generally aren't as vocal about it. A lot of people use these forums and not everyone is going to like every game

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Really depends on who you listen to.

This site is notorious for having way too many trolls, flames, and haters. It's extremely obvious when you compare it against other forums as well.

That said, there are some really objective / intelligent people on these forums that do give honest / fair assessments of games that come out.

For every game that's come out there's been legitimate reasons why people like something or hate it. However, most of those get buried under a pile of troll posts & flame wars. Unfortunately it's just one of those things where you need to figure out for yourself who to listen to.

I can say that every game that has every been released on these forums gets a good review. However, every last one of those games has also gotten bad reviews. Everyone thinks they know what's best for the genre, when no one really has a damned clue. It's just a bunch of rehashed 'game x failed, so automaticall game y will also fail' arguments, with no good reasoning to back them up.

The funny thing is, if you look at MMOs over the past decade. They aren't all failures. Some of them are still doing pretty well. People just want a game that offers twice as much as the best MMO, launched in half the time, and are willing to pay less money for it. Reality has to sink in at some point.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I think some of it is forum PVP.  With each new game comes a new wave of hype.  It can get rather extreme and frankly the hype-machine gets really annoying at times*.  I think there's a part of human nature that hates peer pressure (maybe it could be called advertising aversion), and the response is to push back in the other direction.

It seems that the more hyped a game becomes, the more counter-pressure that results.

In some ways I think it parallels political activism with regard to campaigns for elected officials.  Nobody bashes the guy with low hype, because there's no motivation to do so.  However, get a campaign going with large hype, then the haters and fanboys mobilize in huge numbers attacking and defending the candidate.

The way I see it, any forum review that presents an obvious agenda, either selling or trashing a game, must be taken with a grain of skepticism as being potentially biased.

* at least to me

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • simonwest80simonwest80 Member Posts: 173

I think the biggest problem you face is this is a refuge for "proper" MMO players.  And quite frankly the new MMOs have just shate on them becoming too main stream to rake in the dough.  Why dont i play WoW any longer?  Too easy and no community.  No TOR?  Too easy etc etc etc.  The majority of people (the casual though more populas) want everything now, and in most cases get everything now and this is now the norm.  Most the people here dont want this type of MMO.  They want the same as me to a fashion.........something with a challenege that makes people play and respect each other - this is what i believe an MMO is all about, however I am in a minority.  The publishers want $$ and the 13 years old want an easy game in which they are given purples for standing around and throwing abusive language :(

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

THere is a huge ammount of people here who hate everything except what they are playing right now. So no, according to the forum people no game is ever good.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

WHat I find most ironic is the sheer twisting of arguments to fit into whatever agenda a poster may have, one game is following it's Single-player formula too closely, the other isn't, but both decisions are bad. This one has two faction pvp, "why don't they ever learn?". This one has three faction but it's still not good enough, even though we've been asking for it over and over again for years.

Nothing is ever good enough whether we know everything about it or hardly anything, whether it gives us things we've been asking for or whether it doesn't, it makes no difference.

I'm at a point where I think half the posters who post here are shills for other products, it's the only thing that makes sense to me as to why these forums are the way they are. That or people post the most idiotic thing they can think of hoping to fish for those who will bite.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by evianwater

I was only really shocked at the venom first with SWTOR...and now with GW2..and Diablo 3..and Tera..and Rift..

It makes me wonder if the mmo genre is just gonna die out ? People don't seem to even know what they want in a game anymore, and will universally pan any game that is released.

This would all be fine if this was just in the forums, but you see it in subs. When you think of the release state of some of the most successfull gams (LOTR, WoW, EQ1/2) the most recent games show a great deal more polish and content then they did at release.

But...

There is no paitience anymore to wait for content to be released. Fresh out-of-the-box games are being compared to MMO's that have matured over half a decade or more (and that you've paid a hell of a lot more for in xpacs and such.)

I personally am thoroughly enjoying SWTOR, and I found GW2 to be a very nice game, especially knowing I wont be paying a sub fee. Rift had great CS, but I think will struggle to stay relevent with their refusal to even consider an expac for at least another year.

Even a game like WAR had a ton of promise, but people fled that game like rats fleeing a sinking ship. A developer alone cannot make an MMO great, the community has to be there. Developers alone can make a game like Skyrim. Developers + a paitient and active community create games like EQ and WoW

The problem new games have is that they must simply launch with that content if they want to be successful. Six or seven years ago, the excuse of waiting for a game to mature was valid, but not anymore.  people expect it, pure and simple.  Mainly, if you are developing a themepark product, you had better have guild tools, banks, server or cross server grouping tools, and a healthy endgame.  I know it sounds harsh, but that is what the majority of people flat out expect because that's just the way it is now.  Those features have become "must have".  All of the arguments for or against said features aside, it's basically growth in the industry and the adaptation that has to happen to appease the consumer.  If you know what's good for your game, as a developer you'd better have it all in their at launch to set yourself up for success.

This isn't true for sandbox products as they appeal to a different fanbase, but themeparkers are rabid, including the likes of many powergamers who absolutely obliterate content at the fastest of paces.  End game and grouping tools are a must these days and games without them suffer greatly.  Rift literally had the worst time getting a grouping tool going at first, but now, their player base, as small as it is now, is very happy and i must admit when i got a seven day pass a while back, enjoyed their instant adventures.

these are the kinds of things that must be added right at the start as the genre changes and grows.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

I also dont get why there is so much hate towards every game.

On the other hand i am only playing Dota 2 and League of Legends right now because mmorgps these days just plain suck so yea.....

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Well... People who complain usually have the loudest voices. People who have issues with a game are far more likely to come here to complain than someone who doesn't. People who usually like something are more likely not to even think about writing out a positive review because they are too busy playing to bother. As I said the people complaining have a reason to come here and post... the people who would praise it don't and usually only reply to the complainers if they happen to see it.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Yeah someone who really likes a game would rather be playing it than talking about in here, so what we get are mostly bads reviews from people who didnt like it, but we do get some shining lights now and again.

Its just people expect a complete game when its in Open Beta, thats not the case for games like GW2, F2P games are the culprit of that kind of thinking.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

It seems to me that a game has to be perfect to be considered "good".... /etc

erm... I don't know why you are confused here...

your questioning why everybody dosen't like one single game and we have conflicting tastes and opinions?

That just seems way to obvious to answer...

Good reviws, bad reviews.. who cares? the only review that matters is your (and your known friends) review.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Vesavius

your questioning why everybody dosen't like one single game and we have conflicting tastes and opinions?

For me it's the ever evolving criteria, the goal posts constantly change. It's not about one game it's about all games really. If a game meets a mark another is automatically set that it will ultimately never reach. It is done by the same posters constantly too, so it's not an issue of different people different opinion. People are just expressing an extreme amount of fickleness here, I don't see anything wrong with the op pointing that out or bringing it up for discussion.

One example would be, For years all we heard was where's all the three faction PVP, why do they lazily opt for two? Where is DAOC two point owweee?

Now that that is gaining focus from devs, are those same people calling out for it, bemoaning anything that didn't have it, content? Nope, now that's not enough, and it's still a WOW clone. This is just one example..

This stuff is getting tiresome if I can be frank about it. It's because of this stuff that the water has been so muddied, it's harmful to us players actually sending a coherent message that can be clearly discerned.

Isn't it clear to these people they just don't like MMO's? And are constantly chasing that one game they did like that will never be visted on again? It's like chasing the dragon (your first high)...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Good reviws, bad reviews.. who cares? the only review that matters is your (and your known friends) review.

No it is about giving equal consideration to fans of other MMOS you dislike. Yes we like different things but often people try to make others feel bad for liking something they don't. Just how people pleaded and implored you on subject of Rift that we all have different tastes..but that line of reasoning never stopped you from trying to make Rift players feel bad for months on official forums and here.

That is the problem..double standards and hypocricy. 

• OldsaltOldsalt Member Posts: 41

image No

The sooner you fall behind the more time you have to catch up.

• matthew4700matthew4700 Member Posts: 2

I am always critical of  "good" "REVIEWS." Because, I have read awesome reviews of every game that I did not like. However, I think you should read as many reviews as possible before you purchase a game, and investigate and research as much as possible not just the game, but also the company and even check out their prior work.  

Originally posted by Chrome1980

No it is about giving equal consideration to fans of other MMOS you dislike. Yes we like different things but often people try to make others feel bad for liking something they don't. Just how people pleaded and implored you on subject of Rift that we all have different tastes..but that line of reasoning never stopped you from trying to make Rift players feel bad for months on official forums and here.

you have come on a gaming forum in order to understand or solve the human issues of double standards and hypocrisy and observe that everyone isn't considerate, nice, and fair minded?

ok... good luck with that.

Me? I say less emo over analysing the human condition and let's get back to talkin' about games.

The way these posts seems to spring up these days they need to create an 'Emo Community Analysis' sub forum.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

you have come on a gaming forum in order to understand or solve the human issues of double standards and hypocrisy and observe that everyone isn't considerate, nice, and fair minded?

Me? I say less emo over analysing the human condition and let's get back to talkin' about games.

The way these posts seems to spring up these days they need to create an 'Emo Community Analysis' sub forum.

Sounds good.  Have a subforum for people who like to complain about everything that isn't their beloved 'insert monthly game of choice'.   Leave the rest of it for people that like actually discussing the game :D  This is the internet however, the world's soapbox, the complaining for the sake of complaining is not going anywhere soon.  Plus some people just don't have the ability to look at a game objectively, they invest emotionally into MMO's heavily, really clouds their judgement imo.

I admit I may have been a bit negative when I heard this news about the TESO.  However my main concern is the health of the single player franchise.  I really do hope Bethesda can continue to make them and that the Elder Scrolls IP doesn't die out if the online game does not suceed.  I realize strong IPs are not effected by some bad releases (much like Star Wars will continue to be popular despite SWTOR's shortcomings) and hope the Elder Scrolls world can continue on.

No i see that in real life every now and then just that  on forums every poster gets to hide behind anonymity, this problem of double standards just gets more common and prevelant.

But atleast you didn't try to deny your own behavior when it came to RIFT. guess you never thought 'hey!! people like different things..why am i still harassing these poor people for weeks now?'. Practise what you preach.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Ultima Online does... and Pre NGE Star Wars Galaxies... every single MMO other than those two have been an unlimited source of failure and suckage (or seems like that by just reading these forums sometimes)... :) :) :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Here's a few things that explain this phenomenon:

1) We're all whiny, self-entitled bitches.

2) We all had a game we fell in love with. Be it UO, or EQ, or (God help you poor younguns) WoW. 

3) We all loved that game because of a factor or factors, which I will call X.

4) We all moved past that game because of one or another factors, which I will lump here as Y.

5) We're all hoping for a game that has X, reminds us of the joy we had with our first MMO love, and has nothing resemlbing Y.

6) If any game fails to produce sufficient quantities of X or has even a HINT of Y, It's teh devil and must be purged with Hate.

7) Obviously everyone that likes it is a stupid fanboi; how could sane sensible humans like something I think is crap?

8) On the other hand, if I find a game that has sufficient X and no Y, anyone who thinks otherwise must be a hater. Obviously they're just jealous their crappy game isn't as cool as mine

9) Thanks to the way nostalgia works , no game is EVER really gonna match what we want. Even the game we started loving in the first place!

10) If all else fails and you are confused, refer to point 1 again.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

But...

Thats because you are new. With alot of people being in the online rpg scene of some sort since the early/mid 90's, we are sick of the same crap. People like you are the reason why we keep getting served the same old crap. Its not the community at all, linear themeparks do not in any way, shape or form, let communies thrive long term so they bomb. Then when the next big marketing hype comes around [mod edit] the cycle continues.

/thread.

Originally posted by karmath

But...

Thats because you are new. With alot of people being in the online rpg scene of some sort since the early/mid 90's, we are sick of the same crap. People like you are the reason why we keep getting served the same old crap. Its not the community at all, linear themeparks do not in any way, shape or form, let communies thrive long term so they bomb. Then when the next big marketing hype comes around you and you cancerous kind all flock to it praise it to the 7 heavens, pre order en masse and the cycle continues.

/thread.

The insults were really uncalled for. Now you know what i am going to do. 

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Originally posted by karmath

But...

Thats because you are new. With alot of people being in the online rpg scene of some sort since the early/mid 90's, we are sick of the same crap. People like you are the reason why we keep getting served the same old crap. Its not the community at all, linear themeparks do not in any way, shape or form, let communies thrive long term so they bomb. Then when the next big marketing hype comes around you and you cancerous kind all flock to it praise it to the 7 heavens, pre order en masse and the cycle continues.

/thread.

The insults were really uncalled for. Now you know what i am going to do. 

Sadly, its the truth. Only you can change it. The reason I'm so harsh with your kind is because in a year or two you will be posting the same shit I do, being blunt makes that happen sooner. Ergo, we get a good game quicker.

No i see that in real life every now and then just that  on forums every poster gets to hide behind anonymity, this problem of double standards just gets more common and prevelant.

But atleast you didn't try to deny your own behavior when it came to RIFT. guess you never thought 'hey!! people like different things..why am i still harassing these poor people for weeks now?'. Practise what you preach.

Did I have bad things to say about Rift? Sure... I support games I think are good, criticise the ones I don't, though I can usually see good and bad in most offerings on some level. But.. thats all. Take it or leave it, and if you get emotionally upset by my observations of a game I would say that's not my look out.

Stop trying to make this personal by flaming me on a personal level, I've been around here way too long to bite and it just comes across as trolling. That's all I will say on the matter.