Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A thousand levels

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Would you play a game with a thousand levels? I think the thing I like most about MMOs is leveling. Of coarse there wouldn't be new abilities all the way to 1000 but you'd get all your abilities fairly soon then they would just scale with you as you leveled.

I think it would take even the most dedicated player years to reach 1000, but the plus side is that there would always be something to work towards.

I think there are some games that have already been made with really high level caps, like Asheron's Call I think is pretty high.

Comments

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Oposite to what i think is a majority of players i dont play to achieve levels.
    I Level bcs its the common mmo mechanic and i need to do it to unlock content.
    No - i would not play a game that offers thousand levels!

I play a game for its content, which has to be diverse and must not be combat centered but should contain combat, i want to adventure a world that i never can adventure in real life bcs in our times it does not exist or i lack the time/funds to do so and i want to do it a my/our pace with close friends!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Assuming the game has enough content to keep you entertained for 1000 levels sure.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Assuming the game has enough content to keep you entertained for 1000 levels sure.

I think there would have to be something like randomized dungeons that scaled to your level to accomodate.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Why not a million?

Originally posted by colddog04

Why not a million?

You tell me. I would be fine with a million too.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by jusomdude

Originally posted by colddog04

Why not a million?

You tell me. I would be fine with a million too.

I think a game like that would suffer from what EVE does.

Unless people come in from the beginning, they are always going to feel like they're behind. This makes it tough to attract new players.

Perhaps if they made the levels mean something other than progression or there was a lot of horizontal progression they could get away with it. EVE tries to do that by making a solid base of skills fairly easy to get, but you do still feel left out a bit.

I don't know, I don't think I've really thought through a system like this before.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Would you play a game with a thousand levels? I think the thing I like most about MMOs is leveling. Of coarse there wouldn't be new abilities all the way to 1000 but you'd get all your abilities fairly soon then they would just scale with you as you leveled.

I think it would take even the most dedicated player years to reach 1000, but the plus side is that there would always be something to work towards.

I think there are some games that have already been made with really high level caps, like Asheron's Call I think is pretty high.

The question is will the game have ENOUGH good content to keep players playing until lvl 1000?????

if so sure i would play

I think it's sort of a different issue in EvE because you have almost no control over how fast you progress. I think with upping the xp requirement for every level, eventually players would hit an area where it takes forever and a day to get a level and it would allow lower level people to catch up.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

It depends. Would there be enough content to keep me interested for a thousand levels? Would the game world be big enough that I'm not slogging through the same zone for weeks/months at a time? Would every level make me feel as though my character were advancing and growing in power, or would they just be small stat/HP increases?

If the answer is yes, then I'd gladly play a thousand-level game. Although that would be a pretty tall order for any company to fill, seeing as how most games (even ones out for years) have a hard time producing enough content for 60 levels, let alone a thousand.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

My guess is I would get tired of the same abilities if they just scaled.

Originally posted by Rednecksith

It depends. Would there be enough content to keep me interested for a thousand levels? Would the game world be big enough that I'm not slogging through the same zone for weeks/months at a time? Would every level make me feel as though my character were advancing and growing in power, or would they just be small stat/HP increases?

If the answer is yes, then I'd gladly play a thousand-level game. Although that would be a pretty tall order for any company to fill, seeing as how most games (even ones out for years) have a hard time producing enough content for 60 levels, let alone a thousand.

It depends on what type of content you want. I think if a game with 1000 levels were to be made it would have to have some sort of dynamic content creation. There could also be a limited amount of hand crafted stuff too since it would most likely be better.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

How could people play together in that game? The game mechanics would need to be adapted so that lvl 800 player could party with lvl 500 player without either of them being bothered about level difference, or people would get very lonely.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183

The only way it would work is if your level was an indication of your time in game, and not your power level.  Otherwise how could anyone play together?

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

The number is arbitrary. What matters is how long it takes to get there. And you'd want to have something to gain from every level. Realistically you cannot offer something new with every level if you have thousand levels. Many of the level-ups would end up to be just padding in your overstrecthed level-cap.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

There are games that already solve that problem through mentoring or sidekicking. eg. Raise your level to your friend's while your grouped or lower it.,whichever is needed.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Why not just have 60 be the top level but make it harder to level.

(But our amps go up to eleven)

It would be unrealistic to offer new abilities every few levels. I think scaling abilities and offering some distributable stat points would suffice.

I really don't like managing more than a few abilities at once anyhow, it's more of a hassle than it is fun. I think a handful of abilities chosen out of a skill deck like some newer games are doing would be best.

Very high levels would be meant to always have something to work towards, rather than logging in and realizing you have nothing to do after you hit max level and got the best gear.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

the number of levels is not the problem is how much playtime u need to get from 0 to hero

BestSigEver :P

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Numbers are meaningless. But I wouldn't play a game that had years of vertical progression, no.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

There are games that already solve that problem through mentoring or sidekicking. eg. Raise your level to your friend's while your grouped or lower it.,whichever is needed.

In other games you still achieve max. level in realistic time, and eventually end up playing on your character's true level. In your game people could play for a year, allways team up with hight level friends for sidekicking, and would never end up playing at their characters true level?

What would be the point of having levels then? What would be the incentive to level up?

Well, then there could only be mentoring(deleveling). So players can't just always play as a high level. But higher levels could get xp and loot if they mentored a lower level and hunted together.