Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is every new MMO WoW with a twist?

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

We went from UO to EQ, AC, DAOC, SWG, EVE, PS and even Horizons and every MMO was so different. Then we had EQ2 and WoW which again were so different to what we had in the past, people say WoW was a clone of EQ but these are only people who have played EQ post WoW once SOE tried to turn it into WoW lol. WoW really combined most things that made the genre great and made it all better, it was the first AAA polished MMO that everyone had to live up to. Sadly that has caused every MMO since to want to be WoW and just clone it to the point where the genre has become tired and people are bored of the same old game over and over. It's a really sad state when every new MMO the first thing you do is some kill 10 rats quest, doesn't matter what ever developers say, they all end up like this... SWTOR and GW2 both do this no matter what people try to tell you.

The Elder Scrolls was an IP I never wanted as an MMO but it was always built as the perfect Single Player MMO (if that makes sense) and oh look they get the chance to make an MMO and it's becoming like a WoW like MMO and not it's own thing.

I'm just sick of this failing genre, I personally haven't liked any game in it since 2005 and none of my friends have who have all tried other MMOs and just keep going back to WoW before eventually giving up on MMOs. I'm running out of friends playing in the genre as they're all sick of it and so am I and no new games fill us with any hope. The only one I could get excited for is Planetside 2 but it's SOE and we all know their track record.

Developers need to realise MMO means Massively Multiplayer Online and not WoW clone.

Comments

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Investors and publishers are stupid... or atleast devs think they are.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

yeah, GW2 is a wow clone. So was my sandwich I had for lunch. Earlier on I watched The Big Bang Theory and it was a WoW clone too.  what does this mean. You should never stop playing WoW. Just stick with it. Obviously, you can't get past it.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Elder Scrolls is going to become a mmo for 2 reasons:

1. It is dog shit easy to boot leg torrent the game which means less money for Bethesda

2. 4million people bought Skyrim. 2million people bought The old republic when everyone was saying it was KOTOR 3 online. Noone gave a shit and Bioware raked in a lot of cash and continue to rake in cash.

I do not understand how the concept of the purest single player game ever created makes sense now with more people on the screen. It will fail outright.

• beej1986beej1986 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Originally posted by tixylix

We went from UO to EQ, AC, DAOC, SWG, EVE, PS and even Horizons and every MMO was so different. Then we had EQ2 and WoW which again were so different to what we had in the past, people say WoW was a clone of EQ but these are only people who have played EQ post WoW once SOE tried to turn it into WoW lol. WoW really combined most things that made the genre great and made it all better, it was the first AAA polished MMO that everyone had to live up to. Sadly that has caused every MMO since to want to be WoW and just clone it to the point where the genre has become tired and people are bored of the same old game over and over. It's a really sad state when every new MMO the first thing you do is some kill 10 rates quest, doesn't matter what ever developers say, they all end up like this... SWTOR and GW2 both do this no matter what people try to tell you.

The Elder Scrolls was an IP I never wanted as an MMO but it was always built as the perfect Single Player MMO (if that makes sense) and oh look they get the chance to make an MMO and it's becoming like a WoW like MMO and not it's own thing.

I'm just sick of this failing genre, I personally haven't liked any game in it since 2005 and none of my friends have who have all tried other MMOs and just keep going back to WoW before eventually giving up on MMOs. I'm running out of friends playing in the genre as they're all sick of it and so am I and no new games fill us with any hope. The only one I could get excited for is Planetside 2 but it's SOE and we all know their track record.

Developers need to realise MMO means Massively Multiplayer Online and not WoW clone.

I would feed the troll. But I ran out of food. image

CENTER]image[/CENTER]

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

WoW was EQ with a twist.. you sir, don't know what you're talking about.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by natuxatu

WoW: Casual EQ plain and simple. Blizzard just has a better marketting team and has convinced pretty much everyone that they invented the genre.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Why is every new MMO WoW with a twist?

--

Because WoW on the rocks would be just silly.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

They do not understand the market nor the gamers.
    I played many games and Daoc, SWG and AoC being the most played.
    I hate WoW bcs i dont like the mishmash lore, the art direction and the gameworld overall.
    But if you go for a game that offers a dungeon finder, group instances, easy access bcs of time restrictions, acceptable classes, acceptable amount content, you end up Lotro (which has bad classes that simply dont hook) or WoW bcs its the big polished turd.
    Every wannabe WoW successor is less polished, less big, less developed, less competitive.
    So even i play WoW to stay in touch with my old friends waiting for a really good state of the art Virtual World mmo that is not inferior in gameplay to titles that were out ten to twelve years ago.

To put it short:
    If i want or be forced to play a WoW game i play the real basturd!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Its all based on perspective.

If you put it into proper perspective the only real original MMOs there have been were Asherons Call, Anarchy Online and City of Heroes.

UO was nothing more than Ultima 7&8...online.

EQ was Dungeons and Dragons without the copyright

EvE was Homeworld online

DAoC was EQ with better graphics and PvP centered.

SWG was all taken from novels and movies designed by the laziest programmers in the history of the genre...I mean come on worlds created with a random generator and no actual 3D x/y axis allowing for no jumping and shooting through the ground and walls!

And WoW brought nothing new to MMORPGs other than ladder based PvP. Just a rehash of games that came before it.

Welcome to reality.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Thorqemada

I hate WoW bcs i dont like the mishmash lore, the art direction and the gameworld overall.

But if you go for a game that offers a dungeon finder, group instances, easy access bcs of time restrictions, acceptable classes, acceptable amount content, you end up Lotro (which has bad classes that simply dont hook) or WoW bcs its the big polished turd.

Every wannabe WoW successor is less polished, less big, less developed, less competitive.

So even i play WoW to stay in touch with my old friends waiting for a really good state of the art Virtual World mmo that is not inferior in gameplay to titles that were out ten to twelve years ago.

To put it short:

Maybe the problem is that you don't understand the market or that your preferred play style is probably niche at best.  I bet you're one of the ones who wants every game to be action based, with minimal RPG elements to get in the way, sandboxish with full loot PvP and so forth.  You do realize that every game that has tried to embrace even some aspects of your play style have either failed miserably or barely garner a profit if any at all.  There is very little incentive for companies to invest in what is known to be a niche in the MMO gaming genre and on top of that, they have historical evidence that the return on investments would be midocre at best.

Don't worry though, just wait a while longer.  The industry is dead set on moving away from if not completely out of the PC arena and striving to embrace the nirvana that is the console sector.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Originally posted by Thorqemada
    To put it short:

Maybe the problem is that you don't understand the market or that your preferred play style is probably niche at best.  I bet you're one of the ones who wants every game to be action based, with minimal RPG elements to get in the way, sandboxish with full loot PvP and so forth.  You do realize that every game that has tried to embrace even some aspects of your play style have either failed miserably or barely garner a profit if any at all.  There is very little incentive for companies to invest in what is known to be a niche in the MMO gaming genre and on top of that, they have historical evidence that the return on investments would be midocre at best.

Don't worry though, just wait a while longer.  The industry is dead set on moving away from if not completely out of the PC arena and striving to embrace the nirvana that is the console sector.

You be totally of the track - You should have stopped writing your response when you read i have played SWG.

Sorry Mate ;)

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

It's a really sad state when every new MMO the first thing you do is some kill 10 rates quest, doesn't matter what ever developers say, they all end up like this... 

Just because a lot of games are trying too hard to copy WoW doesn't mean that they all are.

For example, right now, I'm playing Uncharted Waters Online.  (No seriously, right this second.  I'm sailing from Lima to Panama.)  There is somewhere around 2000 quests in the game, and probably more than that rather than fewer.  As far as I know, the game has exactly one "kill ten rats" type of quest, total, in the entire game.  Among quests that involve combat, I'm only aware of one other quest that requires you to win multiple battles as part of a single quest.  Overall, the game's questing system has more in common with Carmen Sandiego than WoW.

I also played Spiral Knights for a while recently.  Off hand, I can't think of any missions that ask you to kill some fixed number of mobs.  Usually it's get to the end of the level, or occasionally kill some boss exactly once.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Investors think  or atleast thought for a long time that, that was the safest bet for their money....It also is the easiest thing to do, take something that is proven, throw in your secret ingredient that makes it supposedly unique and great...and roll with it.

They even have engines and kits that you can buy/license, that make it easier...If you go too unique and different, you may not be able to use or it may be very expensive to alter the mmo all-in-one kit that some use also.

The last 6 years have been horrible imo, depth, and all other words that people will argue about have been lacking in most of the mmos that have been put out.  I have said it before, it is like some mathmatical equation, that processes money/risk/development time and people get the bare minimum that you can do and get away with it...It is as if anyone that cares about a quality game, not maximizing profits has been silenced in most cases....pride is out....profit margin is in.

Hopefully some of the failures of these has or will change this, but that remains to be seen.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

quest [kwest]
    noun
    1. search or pursuit made in order to find or obtain something: a quest for uranium mines; a quest for knowledge.
    2. Medieval Romance . an adventurous expedition undertaken by a knight or knights to secure or achieve something: the quest of the Holy Grail.
    3. those engaged in such an expedition.

er·rand [er-uhnd]
    noun
    1. short and quick trip to accomplish a specific purpose, as to buy something, deliver a package, or convey a message, often for someone else.
    2. the purpose of such a trip: He finished his errands.
    3. a special mission or function entrusted to a messenger; commission.

Somewhere they got their definitions crossed.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by natuxatu

No you don't know what you're talking about, obviously just started playing EQ after WoW. Classic EQ was nothing like WoW, SOE then started turning EQ into WoW and then everyone went back and played it and started calling it an EQ clone. 

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

I was about to say:  Inb4 "LOL WOW IS EQ CLONE"......"DIDN'T INVENT ANYTHING", but seems like those people already entered.

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

It's a really sad state when every new MMO the first thing you do is some kill 10 rats quest, doesn't matter what ever developers say, they all end up like this... SWTOR and GW2 both do this no matter what people try to tell you.

I'm surprised no GW2 fanatic jumped on this yet, so I'll go ahead :)

Haven't played SWTOR, but first thing I did in GW2 was actually fight a raid boss with some other new players. So you could argue that GW2 starts where WOW ends ;)

I was looking for something innvovative in MMORPG genre to restore my faith in them again and GW2 definatively did that and even more. You only need to look at some videos and posts in MMORPG.com GW2 general forums and you'll find plenty of reasons why.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Wait! Heres proof that GW2 events are just like every other game with their kill ten rats style of questing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes

Damning evidence! Damning!

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

what makes people think TESO is a wow clone.

what we here so far sounds like

DAOC PVP

EQ PVE

GW2 COMBAT

wheres the wow?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

some recent games that aren't wow clones

perpetuum

wakfu

uncharted waters

mortal online

some up coming games that arent wow clones

GW2

TSW

Planetside2

Archage

WoD

TESO

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Puremallace

Elder Scrolls is going to become a mmo for 2 reasons:

1. It is dog shit easy to boot leg torrent the game which means less money for Bethesda

I find it amusing you think piracy is one of the reasons to make an MMO.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

We went from UO to EQ, AC, DAOC, SWG, EVE, PS and even Horizons and every MMO was so different. Then we had EQ2 and WoW which again were so different to what we had in the past, people say WoW was a clone of EQ but these are only people who have played EQ post WoW once SOE tried to turn it into WoW lol. WoW really combined most things that made the genre great and made it all better, it was the first AAA polished MMO that everyone had to live up to. Sadly that has caused every MMO since to want to be WoW and just clone it to the point where the genre has become tired and people are bored of the same old game over and over. It's a really sad state when every new MMO the first thing you do is some kill 10 rats quest, doesn't matter what ever developers say, they all end up like this... SWTOR and GW2 both do this no matter what people try to tell you.

OP you only assume all future MMO are WoW with a Twist, if you believe WoW is original....

do you?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design