Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone explain the healing please.

dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

Huge fan of GW1, but haven't tried for beta or pre-ordered yet due mostly to the fact that there is no dedicated healer.  My favorite way to play MMOs is as healers, whatever, no need to argue.

Now that said, can anyone explain how the 'every class can heal' system worked in real time after the beta weekend?  Do all classes have some healing abilites and you all take turns?  Or do some people do most of the healing with these abiliities while other group members help??  Just looking for a little explanation, if I could swing playing say, a mesmer, and be healing others through different means I could possibly see myself playing.  Thanks for any info.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

Comments

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

you are in charge of keeping yourself alive.. there might be smallish heals coming in but you heal yourself and avoid bit hits. If you can stun, knock down ect.. its all part of it.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

So it is more of a mitigation game?  Can any class heal others at all?

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by dreamer05

yes but its weaker then self heals

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

not really, there are no targeted on others heals, there are some ground targeted heals though.. I think elementalist and engineer come to mind for that.. most "heals" that aren't your own come from other players using their abilities that have a heal with them. Others are just heals that heal an area, like rangers moa pets have an allies heal that is proximity based.

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263

Everyone has one dedicated "Heal" slot to fill, and i believe like 3 different skills to fill it. There are also some other heals hidden throughout other skills (I played engi...and there were a few other heals).

At least in my experience, hwoever, these heals were weak. They were either "Not bad" but on a longish cooldown or they were "weak" on a faster cooldown. At least for an engi most of them were heal over time, and they were very small heals over time (the turret however gave like one "biggish" heal and then small ticks). In groups it didn't seem like anyone else had heals that were much better.

So basically they're there...but you can't rely on them. I typically had to back off, dodge, try to use crowd control or pray in order to get out of a sticky situation. It makes the game all around harder, not because the enemies are harder but because you just can't "top off" your max health every 5 seconds by having someone in your party who's only job is to keep you topped off (don't get me wrong though, I usually player healers as well).

I should also note, that when in WvW and I was scaled to max level the heals were even worse. My healing turret was healing around 150 per tick, and my guy had 20,000 health. I was a ranged attacker, so I imagine the melee guys had even more health. That is less than 1% per tick. It's laughable.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

COMBOS!!!, alot of healing is done through combos......complete combos as often as possible

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

Hmmm well that sucks.

Which class had the most crowd control power?

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

The 'self heal skills' are akin to 'health potions' from other games. However, rather than just having a bland potion that essentially gives you a 'heal X life' skill, GW2 'potions' synergize with other skills on your bar.

In regards to healing classes:

There are plenty of options if you'd like to play a support character. Some that come to mind are:

http://www.gw2builds.org/view/289049/defense_warrior

http://www.gw2builds.org/view/292062/guard

http://www.gw2builds.org/view/146016/support_wvw_marks_wells

http://www.gw2builds.org/view/314041/full_support_elementalist

http://www.gw2builds.org/view/335041/wvw_support_dedicated_rez

http://www.gw2builds.org/view/336068/support_mesmer

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

Hmmm well that sucks.

not really much CC, survivability is more about paying attention

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Most of them can spec or use some kind of group heal.

The Guardian class has alot of mitigation abilities.

A few classes have AoE heals with certain weapons.

Almost every class has some form of control abilites.

Plus Dodging and kiting.

Probably be some combination of all of the above.

• KickinPups2KickinPups2 Member Posts: 48

Yes and no...Every class gets its own heals and learn up to 3 diffrent types direct heals I.E just to yourself noonelse. Now as far as your kept to keep yourself alive comment..Yes and well no depends on what you spec. I.E The element that I got to level 30.I speced into water and I had inc to healing by almost 20% when I was lowered to a Dyn events the healing I was doing regular was about 100 if in my funnel and over all 500 with aoe when I was 30 it was around 1k funnel and 2k aoe..

So yes you can kinda spec heals but  the game does rely on you having to heal yourself in many aspects of battle.When to compared to G1 like monk not even the same. The game isn't the same cookie cutter set up.. I have played G1 for over a year and enjoy it but G2 is just amazing as a previous G1 gamer there is nothing to compare it to beside the area and places. Give it a go I would almost gurantee you won't be disapointed..**Heads up there is no click to move**..Just had to put that in there many G1 fans QQ about it..

Best of luck!

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by graggok

Hmmm well that sucks.

not really much CC, survivability is more about paying attention

Exactly this. You have to be on your toes, knowing what your skills do and at what times to use them. Moving allot and using dodge is crucial.

Originally posted by stayBlind

The 'self heal skills' are akin to 'health potions' from other games. However, rather than just having a bland potion that essentially gives you a 'heal X life' skill, GW2 'potions' synergize with other skills on your bar.

In regards to healing classes:

There are plenty of options if you'd like to play a support character. Some that come to mind are:

http://www.gw2builds.org/view/289049/defense_warrior

http://www.gw2builds.org/view/292062/guard

http://www.gw2builds.org/view/146016/support_wvw_marks_wells

http://www.gw2builds.org/view/314041/full_support_elementalist

http://www.gw2builds.org/view/335041/wvw_support_dedicated_rez

http://www.gw2builds.org/view/336068/support_mesmer

Very nice, thanks for the links!  Support Mes would be an alternative that could make the game interesting for me. Thanks!

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Hmmm well that sucks.

Every profession has some form of CC and a way to support their allies. It all depends on what weapons they have on them how they spec their character.

Watch this video (when you have time), to get a good idea of how a simple dungeon run will progress in GW2.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Hmmm well that sucks.

If you're looking for the GW1 "This build will kill 90% of the game" you probably won't find it in gw2.

I think Guardian might have the most control. Ele required a fair amount of attunement jumping to control properly.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

Hmmm well that sucks.

All classes have the most of everything they just all do them differently.  THOUGH some classes can take a little more punishment then others.  IE Guardians vs Elementalists. 

What I mean is every class can be good at CC, or decent at Support, or Damage its just played differently for instance as a Guardian you use boons and shields to support and help with some heals.  Other classes such as Mesmers use Spell Walls and debuffs to support.  Equally effective but done differently. 

The "MOST Crowd Control Power" Would be the one you are best with because the game is based on skill not, this specific class is best at this specific job.  Guild Wars 2 is a different game and the sooner people learn that and stop trying to make it fit games they currently play the sooner they can enjoy how amazing it is.

I played mainly guardian for 45+ hours.

Being a Guardian I found I could spec myself to be a non traditional tank which gave me incredible CC abilities.  A lot of which were AOE such as 2h greatsword which lets you throw the sword at multiple enemy and pull them to you.  You have AOE blinds and other things.

As far as healing goes it was very smooth because as a Guardian I could use mutliple builds to heal people around me. Such as Dodge backwards and then cast a front cone flame of heal which heals anyone it hits and gives boons.  Also Abilities that perform heals and boons on allies in the area depending on which weapons you use. 

Playing a traditional healer is not possible but there sure is room for support classes within atleast the guardian but I do know that EVERY class has a way to spec into such.  

Though if you try and only focus on one particular play type / style you will hinder any group you play with.  Example: if you play only as a support build and nothing else then any group you play with will miss the extra dps needed causing battles to last even longer making everyone else make up for someones inability to learn multiple rolls.

There might be things that are similar to GUild Wars 2 but when you get down to it, the game is very different compared to anything out on the market.   So trying to figure out the class system comparing it to anything you play right now is a waste of time unless you compare the Ranger which is the only class that can be considered similar to other rangers in other games but that is only if you stretch it a lot.

Think of it this way, YOU are your own tank, healer, and cc expert all rolled into one.  Everyone around you can help you do your job, and help you up if you do not do your job good enough.   If you become the best CC Mesmer or Support Engineer its because you became very skilled at doing so and not because that build is specifically better then other builds with other classes.

Any questions?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

In the beta event I played an elementalist with my traits spec'd into water attunement (for heals) and I was able to do some pretty good heals overall,  I also had a rez that did different things based on attunement.  As I went up in level my heals did substantially more,  and I would also heal players over time just by being near them .

In PvP when I was scaled,  my geyser would heal anyone in an area almost all the way .. and healing rain would get them about half way... both of which had pretty long cool downs (I think geyser took 20 seconds).  

I was surprised by the amount of healing I could put out, and my suvrivability even though I really only had 2 moves that did any real damage aside from my basic attack.

When I needed to do some damage I would switch into earth usually,  and go back and forth as earth attunement had a lot of slows and stuns as well as pretty strong damaging moves....  also wind attunement was good for its speed buff and had a really good knockback....  overall there was a lot you *could* do on top of heals with the elementalist.

I usually play support characters, and I was very satisfied.

I was also toying with the guardian,  and I think I might go guardian on launch..  the engineer was disappointing overall.

• leroysgleroysg Member UncommonPosts: 97

Huge fan of GW1, but haven't tried for beta or pre-ordered yet due mostly to the fact that there is no dedicated healer.  My favorite way to play MMOs is as healers, whatever, no need to argue.

Now that said, can anyone explain how the 'every class can heal' system worked in real time after the beta weekend?  Do all classes have some healing abilites and you all take turns?  Or do some people do most of the healing with these abiliities while other group members help??  Just looking for a little explanation, if I could swing playing say, a mesmer, and be healing others through different means I could possibly see myself playing.  Thanks for any info.

like the other said, everyone is a healer.

if you are looking for delicate role as healer  then you have did the right thing so far, keep holding back on your purchase.

• kokopuffkokopuff Member Posts: 94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vFlHMNZ4V8

Watch this. You can play a healer in gw2, just not a traditional stand behind the lines healer.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

if you want to be a healer on GW2 like other games this game isnt for you.

you can spef to be a better heal support on GW2 but far far from what you see on healers on other MMORPG. 

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

Originally posted by maskedweasel

In the beta event I played an elementalist with my traits spec'd into water attunement (for heals) and I was able to do some pretty good heals overall,  I also had a rez that did different things based on attunement.  As I went up in level my heals did substantially more,  and I would also heal players over time just by being near them .

In PvP when I was scaled,  my geyser would heal anyone in an area almost all the way .. and healing rain would get them about half way... both of which had pretty long cool downs (I think geyser took 20 seconds).  

I was surprised by the amount of healing I could put out, and my suvrivability even though I really only had 2 moves that did any real damage aside from my basic attack.

When I needed to do some damage I would switch into earth usually,  and go back and forth as earth attunement had a lot of slows and stuns as well as pretty strong damaging moves....  also wind attunement was good for its speed buff and had a really good knockback....  overall there was a lot you *could* do on top of heals with the elementalist.

I was also toying with the guardian,  and I think I might go guardian on launch..  the engineer was disappointing overall.

The Engineer wasn't to bad as a support character.  I was throwing out all kinds of buffs to my teammates.  The trick is in slots 6 -9 and the elixirs on you tool belt that help everyone else.  For example:

slot 6- Elixir H heals yourself and gives a buff   and makes F1 Throws Elixir H and randomly grant vigor, protection or regeneration to allies. (Healing turret and Med kit can also be used provide addtional healing to group)

slot 7- Elixir U you gain random utility buff from another profession and makes F2 Toss Elixir U, creating a randome spell at the target feet. 

Slot 8 - Elixir R, you recover from stun and loss all conditions and makes F3 Toss Elixir R, removing conditions and reviving allies in the area.

Slot 8 - Elixir B, you gain fury, might and swiftness amd makes f4 Toss Elixir B randomly granting fury, might or swiftness to allies in the area.

The downside is that you don't always know what buff you are providing because they are random.

Throw in the Supply crate in slot 10 and you are bringing a crap ton of support. 

Also the turret also bring support to the group.  Dropping a turret can help control adds or even keep them off of other players.

I didn't play the ele or guardian, so maybe they are better.   The trick is that the group support may be in the F1-F4 skills. 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by SteeJanz

The Engineer wasn't to bad as a support character.  I was throwing out all kinds of buffs to my teammates.  The trick is in slots 6 -9 and the elixirs on you tool belt that help everyone else.  For example:

slot 6- Elixir H heals yourself and gives a buff   and makes F1 Throws Elixir H and randomly grant vigor, protection or regeneration to allies. (Healing turret and Med kit can also be used provide addtional healing to group)

slot 7- Elixir U you gain random utility buff from another profession and makes F2 Toss Elixir U, creating a randome spell at the target feet. 

Slot 8 - Elixir R, you recover from stun and loss all conditions and makes F3 Toss Elixir R, removing conditions and reviving allies in the area.

Slot 8 - Elixir B, you gain fury, might and swiftness amd makes f4 Toss Elixir B randomly granting fury, might or swiftness to allies in the area.

The downside is that you don't always know what buff you are providing because they are random.

Throw in the Supply crate in slot 10 and you are bringing a crap ton of support. 

Also the turret also bring support to the group.  Dropping a turret can help control adds or even keep them off of other players.

I didn't play the ele or guardian, so maybe they are better.   The trick is that the group support may be in the F1-F4 skills. 

You probably had it down better than I did.. I tried the med pack and didn't find that it really worked well like the elementalist did.... but I didn't get a healing turret.

I saved up all of my points for the engineer so that I could try out the other packs.. I ended up getting teh grenade, the medic and the last one you can get which is a pack of random tools... which I did not find helped me at all... and I got some other various skills...  maybe I'm just not a good engineer player.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by kokopuff

Watch this. You can play a healer in gw2, just not a traditional stand behind the lines healer.

Bloodyhell. That Guardian looked less like a healer and more like a masochist. The beating he could take was unreal. image

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

Originally posted by SteeJanz

snip

You probably had it down better than I did.. I tried the med pack and didn't find that it really worked well like the elementalist did.... but I didn't get a healing turret.

I saved up all of my points for the engineer so that I could try out the other packs.. I ended up getting teh grenade, the medic and the last one you can get which is a pack of random tools... which I did not find helped me at all... and I got some other various skills...  maybe I'm just not a good engineer player.

Actually we were in the same boat.  I did pretty much the same, except I didnt get the grenade kit.  I didnt get much use out of the  tool kit either.  But I started using the elixirs instead of the turrets and i stumble onto the F1-F4 keys and then just loaded up my bars with them.   Just luck on my side.  I was chucking elixirs half the time.  :)   The random spell from the other professions is kind of cool even though I didnt really know what they were.  Walls and crap, I just through them down where I thought they would work best.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by kokopuff

Those are some serious heals. That is some insane survivability. Probably a lot to do with the other team not knowing when to  cc and nuke. Impressive nonetheless.