Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft sucks because I can't build armies and bases...

That is pretty much what i've been reading on this forum for the past hour.

I mean bloody hell, some of the stuff posted is just silly..

"It's not elder scross cause it has tab targeting!!!"

Cause ya know, the first thing I think of when I think of Elder scrolls is "No tab targeting"

"It's 3rd Person, therefor it sucks!!!" nevermind all the Elder Scrolls games had 3rd Person view, (and pretty much every MMO today has 1st person view, only no one uses it because it blows ass)

Here's a kicker "It uses a toolbar like WoW, and isn't real time combat"

Because ya know that Skyrim is renowned for its amazing melee combat which consisted of me swinging my sword like i'm hacking a fucking bush to death.

"It has a class based system"

Cause we know the actual Elder Scrolls system would work better, Where I've got 100 in every single skill on my character, and my guy one shots freakin dragons.

None of these things made Skyrim great, or any Elder Scroll game great.... These are in general just mechanics of the game that frankly were not exactly the most amazing mechanics ever. I personally don't look at Skyrim and think "Wow that game has the best combat ever, screw tab targetting"

I can sum up what Made Skyrim great with one example..

The first town you get to in Skyrim, when ya start heading up that mountain and you came to that Dungeon with the bandits outside, That is what made skyrim right there..

It was the world, and the setting... Not shitty skill systems, melee combat, or 1st person/3rd person, It was the sense of vastness that looking out over a mountain gave you.

If they can accomplish that even remotely in this game, They will do fine, if not.. Who cares, you still have single player games you worthless nuggets of stupid.

Comments

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

+1

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

So...   Your saying that you didn't like Skyrim and your happy the Elder Scrolls mmo will be more like WoW?

I don't envy what you are about to endure.

• reap3rzxreap3rzx Member Posts: 41

I agree with what your point is. Though I did really like Skyrim's combat :)

The biggest thing they can do to this game is make the world lose it's 'epic'ness. I thought SWTOR would be epic in scale, exploring multiple MASSIVE planets. Instead it was small, multiple instances, and closed off zones. If TESO takes this path, it will be ruined. Skyrim in ESO should be the same size as Skyrim in TESV, or close to it, imo. Cutting the world into pieces will kill it. I can understand hardware limitations will probably make for loading screens between provinces and cities, but anything more than that will be a fail.

To summarize, TES game's mechanics don't make it a TES game, the vast, epic, ready-to-explore worlds do. 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

You don't like Skyrim combat and prefer WoW combat.

Cool with me.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by zevni78

So...   Your saying that you didn't like Skyrim and your happy the Elder Scrolls mmo will be more like WoW?

No, actually. That's not at all what he was saying.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Originally posted by Serelisk

Originally posted by zevni78

No, actually. That's not at all what he was saying.

Really? Kinda hard to tell when he says hes a fan of skyrim and then also says,

"Because ya know that Skyrim is renowned for its amazing melee combat which consisted of me swinging my sword like i'm hacking a fucking bush to death."

"Cause we know the actual Elder Scrolls system would work better, Where I've got 100 in every single skill on my character, and my guy one shots freakin dragons."

"I personally don't look at Skyrim"

"Not shitty skill systems"

Seems like a pretty loaded post just to prove his point, he loved skyrim but hated everything except for the world which makes it acceptable for him to like ESO because its just a setting.

Again, LOADED POST!

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

I actually kind of agree, the thing most people seem to be forgetting also is that TES had classes and they were only removed with Skyrim's design...

Also the Skyrim combat is incredibly bland... anyone defending it has no clue as to what proper tactical combat is like - and yes hotbar based combat has far more tactics than the TES 1st person combat system.

Ah well, shall see how the game looks throughout the next few months and on the path to release and see if any interesting information is released, could be an amazing setting for an MMO though... who knows ;)

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

My problem is that the biggest risk they are taking is putting TES tag on it. Just about everything that could make this game different and resemble TES RPGs has been excluded because "It's too hard."

Originally posted by Silverbarr
    I actually kind of agree, the thing most people seem to be forgetting also is that TES had classes and they were only removed with Skyrim's design...

Also the Skyrim combat is incredibly bland... anyone defending it has no clue as to what proper tactical combat is like - and yes hotbar based combat has far more tactics than the TES 1st person combat system.

Ah well, shall see how the game looks throughout the next few months and on the path to release and see if any interesting information is released, could be an amazing setting for an MMO though... who knows ;)

M

The classes in the previous games were little more than guidelines. Custom classes have always been there. I don't see the same thing happening in this game.

• BoraellBoraell Member UncommonPosts: 97

Love it, good to see not everyone on this site is a braindead drama-queen who wants what they want NOW even if its not feasible! After all, mummy and daddy never dared say no!

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

I actually kind of agree, the thing most people seem to be forgetting also is that TES had classes and they were only removed when Skyrim was released...

Classes that you could change to your liking, or make your own. Not the same as an MMO with Static classes that are pre-made by the developers, another thing not in the vein of anything ES related.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I know a lot of people who also enjoy Skyrim for the freedom it allows.  The sandbox elements of the game essentially.  It feels like already they are stripping some of those mechanics due to self imposed limitations.

I'm going to wait and reserve my judgement until more information about the game is released, but it's understandable that people are upset.

So wait, are skills going to increase based on use or are you just going to get xp, level up and be given hotbar skills when you level?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

WOW would be great IF you could build armies and bases

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I am just depressed, I thought we where done with these AAA mmos "WoW Killarz", even if it is a half decent game, more like Neverwinter, or a poor man's GW2, it wont bring any variety to the table. I can't see the difference visually between this and Rift or Neverwinter, and its features are not intriguing, FFXIV 2.0 sounds more interesting, TSW may look dodgey but at least its different. Do we really need another fantasy mmorpg that looks to WoW for inspiration?

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

I actually kind of agree, the thing most people seem to be forgetting also is that TES had classes and they were only removed when Skyrim was released...

Classes that you could change to your liking, or make your own. Not the same as an MMO with Static classes that are pre-made by the developers, another thing not in the vein of anything ES related.

True, but the classes still had the Major and Minor stats that could be increased at a faster rate, which in the end I personally levelled up without trying to level up every single skill available :)

Still, I'll hold judgement until more information is made available and even a video is released explaining the game mechanics and world!

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

Originally posted by colddog04

So wait, are skills going to increase based on use or are you just going to get xp, level up and be given hotbar skills when you level?

"This means that the game will use genre standards like classes and experience point based leveling up." The way I read it is the typical, pre defined, level based classes.

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Originally posted by Xsorus

Cause ya know, the first thing I think of when I think of Elder scrolls is "No tab targeting"

"It's 3rd Person, therefor it sucks!!!" nevermind all the Elder Scrolls games had 3rd Person view, (and pretty much every MMO today has 1st person view, only no one uses it because it blows ass)

Because ya know that Skyrim is renowned for its amazing melee combat which consisted of me swinging my sword like i'm hacking a fucking bush to death.

Cause we know the actual Elder Scrolls system would work better, Where I've got 100 in every single skill on my character, and my guy one shots freakin dragons.

None of these things made Skyrim great, or any Elder Scroll game great.... These are in general just mechanics of the game that frankly were not exactly the most amazing mechanics ever. I personally don't look at Skyrim and think "Wow that game has the best combat ever, screw tab targetting"

The first town you get to in Skyrim, when ya start heading up that mountain and you came to that Dungeon with the bandits outside, That is what made skyrim right there..

It was the world, and the setting... Not shitty skill systems, melee combat, or 1st person/3rd person, It was the sense of vastness that looking out over a mountain gave you.

If they can accomplish that even remotely in this game, They will do fine, if not.. Who cares, you still have single player games you worthless nuggets of stupid.

Perfect. It's like you read my, and any other person with some senses, mind.

Originally posted by Goll25

Perfect. It's like you read my, and any other person with some senses, mind.

So the people who want to see an Elder Scrolls game, rather than just Elder Scrolls settings, have no senses?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

while i agree with most of your post.  I do think they are making a mistake by having classes not just as a feels more like TES issue but also as a PVP and balance issue.  Now TES leveling system in a game works badly as we saw with AFKers in Darkfall.  But something like the EVE or the upcoming TSW system of leveling - that would just work better from a being somewhat more like TES perspective.  Building your own class is an important element of TES, right up there with exploration and the dynamic world - much more important than how the combat works or the camera style or the ui.

• Originally posted by colddog04

Cool with me.

I'm going to quote this guy, because he sums up the level of stupid i'm talking about.

Now here is a lesson on game mechanics.

What part of this game screams "WoW combat" to you? let me guess, "The game has a hotbar therefor it must be WoW Combat"

Only having a hotbar is not related to WoW combat at all, There have been a CRAP ton of MMO's with Hotbars that have absolutely no comparison to WoW in combat mechanics.

I'll use an example, Dark Age of Camelot, Has a hotbar, came out before WoW, plays absolutely nothing like WoW in terms of Combat.

Because having a hotbar is nothing more then the docking point for your abilities itself, not the actual way combat works.

In DAOC case, the game didn't have a "GCD" like WoW's GCD, your GCD was basically the speed at which your weapon swung, Meaning a Fast weapon went off faster then a slow weapon, and since all combat styles in the game were basically on next attack abilities similar to the original Heroic Strike in WoW, it gave a more fluid combat appearance to DAOC.

WoW went with a base GCD, and simply made abilities itself separate from the Auto Attacks that your character was doing.

UO is another example of a game with a GCD attached to he weapon itself, a Dagger or Kryss in UO swung faster then a Halberd, Though the game itself did not have actual weapon styles (you still could put actual spell icons on your screen though since that was the closest thing to abilities similar to WoW/DAOC)

So when I read a post about ESO, and i see the game will have hotbars, that absolutely tells me nothing about the games combat mechanics at all, or if it's like DAOC or WoW.

I can tell that it's got a system built around something similar to GW2, with a Small Hotbar, your Weapons determining your main abilities, and a Morale Ability type system from Warhammer Online.

But i can't tell if it plays more like DAOC or WoW based simply on the Hotbar combat.

To determine if the game plays like WoW, i'm going to need to know if its base GCD or a GCD based off Weapon Swings and next attacks.

As for prefering WoW combat over Skyrim combat, any day of the week in a competive PvP world I would choose WoW combat over Skyrim Combat.

There is nothing remotely skillful or interesting about Skyrim Combat.. and that's fine, because Skyrims Combat system wasn't what made the game great.

This thing just isn't TES at all in any way from what I see. I don't know why someone would expect it to carry the living breathing world title when it just takes everything else off the table that made TES so awesome for so long for me.

You are basically saying, "Wait guys, you are looking at the wrong things! Look at the world and the systems in place that make  previous TES games great!"

But really, I look at the screens and what they wrote about the game in that article and I don't see this great TES world you are talking about.

Cool with me.

I'm going to quote this guy, because he sums up the level of stupid i'm talking about.

What part of this game screams "WoW combat" to you? let me guess, "The game has a hotbar therefor it must be WoW Combat"

Only having a hotbar is not related to WoW combat at all, There have been a CRAP ton of MMO's with Hotbars that have absolutely no comparison to WoW in combat mechanics.

I'll use an example, Dark Age of Camelot, Has a hotbar, came out before WoW, plays absolutely nothing like WoW in terms of Combat.

Because having a hotbar is nothing more then the docking point for your abilities itself, not the actual way combat works.

In DAOC case, the game didn't have a "GCD" like WoW's GCD, your GCD was basically the speed at which your weapon swung, Meaning a Fast weapon went off faster then a slow weapon, and since all combat styles in the game were basically on next attack abilities similar to the original Heroic Strike in WoW, it gave a more fluid combat appearance to DAOC.

WoW went with a base GCD, and simply made abilities itself separate from the Auto Attacks that your character was doing.

UO is another example of a game with a GCD attached to he weapon itself, a Dagger or Kryss in UO swung faster then a Halberd, Though the game itself did not have actual weapon styles (you still could put actual spell icons on your screen though since that was the closest thing to abilities similar to WoW/DAOC)

So when I read a post about ESO, and i see the game will have hotbars, that absolutely tells me nothing about the games combat mechanics at all, or if it's like DAOC or WoW.

I can tell that it's got a system built around something similar to GW2, with a Small Hotbar, your Weapons determining your main abilities, and a Morale Ability type system from Warhammer Online.

But i can't tell if it plays more like DAOC or WoW based simply on the Hotbar combat.

To determine if the game plays like WoW, i'm going to need to know if its base GCD or a GCD based off Weapon Swings and next attacks.

As for prefering WoW combat over Skyrim combat, any day of the week in a competive PvP world I would choose WoW combat over Skyrim Combat.

There is nothing remotely skillful or interesting about Skyrim Combat.. and that's fine, because Skyrims Combat system wasn't what made the game great.

Huh.

Yeah, you're right. I'm am breaking new ground in stupidity by thinking that tab-targeting and hotbars is more similar to WoW than it is to Skyrim.

But the red is the best part. Because I was exactly correct.

• KokushibyouKokushibyou Member UncommonPosts: 230

My only hope in reading the thousands of posts that have flooded every website with any content on RPGs or MMOs over what ESO should or should not be is:  Please don't let anyone at any part of ZeniMax read any of this crap.  Just isolate them from the rest of the world and let them use their best judgement to make this game.  They have proven themselves over and over again when it comes to making great games, and if they just stick to using their own judgement, this is going to be one of the best games ever made.

• Originally posted by colddog04

Cool with me.

Huh.

Yeah, you're right. I'm am breaking new ground in stupidity by thinking that tab-targeting and hotbars is more similar to WoW than it is to Skyrim.

But the red is the best part. Because I was exactly correct.

You realize that Hotbars exist in Skyrim right? You know how you select your Left and Right Mouse button and what abilities you use in shot slots (For example, a Sword/Shield, or Ice Spell/Lightning Spell)

That's a bloody hotbar..

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

actuallly everything that the orginal poster is saying fans complain about I am in 100% on board with.

When I think of elder scrolls here is exactly what I think of right off the bat.

large world in 3rd person with no tab targetting, skill based and I dont have to do quests to make progress. I am just glad other fans agree.

This is 2012 for f7ck sake where are all our virtual realities? oh wait I know dont tell me.

second life 16

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me