Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes Dynamic Events so different? One... we've been doing it wrong.

VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes

To get a better understand of this... watch the video here. THIS is what we need to keep an eye out for, and what puts the "dynamic" in dynamic events.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Comments

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

I'm beginning to think I could level to 80 in the newbie zone and still not see everything..

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

So awesome. It makes me smile. I hope this helps some folks to better understand a little bit of the depth and complexity this game offers... well beyond any MMORPG I've played before.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I want to know what happens when you fail to kill the bears. Or if there is a branch that can fail that changes the outcome or direction of that particular event.

Many of them do have fail branches. I wonder if this one does.

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

I watched this video and realised that the time of auto-pilot MMO gameplay may finally be at an end, the little details that make games feel alive might finally have transfered in a big way to MMOs :)

Makes me really happy to see this, and I can't wait to get ingame and start me own adventure - and keeping an eye out for all the details!

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Gotta admit.  I was not talking to people nor really sticking around after I did something.  I'm going to have to stop trying to do things the old way, learn to slow down and enjoy the ride...and whatta ride it looks to be.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Nice video! I love short, explanatory videos like these. Thanks for posting!

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

I did that event myself during the week end, but I didn't know there was such a nice video about it.

Thanks a lot, I forwarded this to my guild's forums :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

This is the most evil GW2 video I've seen.

This makes me want to slow down during the beta weekend events... but I have to go fast so I can finally check out a dungeon!

NOOOO.  So conflicted!

This totally reminds me of when I'd stalk people in Psychonauts though, just listening to everything the kids at camp had to say.  ... or how my friend used to play Shenmue, where he'd stalk NPCs and learn what their daily schedules were.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Yes, as so many haters have said, Dynamic Events are the same as Rifts DEs, or they are just glorified quests like WoWs. NOT. These DE are going to be immersive and I am so looking forward to playing! Thank you for the link. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I managed to do all of these events through multiple playthroughs, but never saw the whole chain as one. This video alone should prove that DE's are not just Warhammer's PQs, due to the sheer effort that ArenaNet have spent trying to craft an actual story out of these events.

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116

Originally posted by Volkon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes

To get a better understand of this... watch the video here. THIS is what we need to keep an eye out for, and what puts the "dynamic" in dynamic events.

Now, thats what immersion and dynamic means. I am very impressed with the level of details Anet put into this game, and it will be a huge waste if the players approaches it like the traditional mmo. Time to actually role play and enjoy the advantures in Tyria.

Thumbs up to Anet.

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

Too bad most people treat it just as "kill this, get that"/... a shame for them.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I did this with many of the quests. Not all but I did see how they continue on even after the initial questing phase.

• RollmeisterRollmeister Member Posts: 41

This is a really good video, it properly explains how DEs work.  Thanks for posting!

I'm 30% Rock, 10% Roll, 50% Nerd and 10% Troll.
    Axis of Awesome - Moderately Rock and Roll

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Originally posted by QSatu

Too bad most people treat it just as "kill this, get that"/... a shame for them.

You know what they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't do anything if it chooses to drink urine. image

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Badaboom

Gotta admit.  I was not talking to people nor really sticking around after I did something.  I'm going to have to stop trying to do things the old way, learn to slow down and enjoy the ride...and whatta ride it looks to be.

I know I was rushing too.  Only three days.  60 hours -- and so much to check out.  I missed a lot.  I expect I'll take the next BWE at a more leisurely pace since there are fewer question I NEED to have answered.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Has Anet ever publicly stated how many dynamic events they put in?

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

What a fantastic video. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Originally posted by QSatu

Because eventually, that's what they are, they're just scripted quest chains, that in other older games may have just been a wall of text explaining that something similar has happened, and now the bears attack :)

Just saying, not bashing :)

ps. i love the DE's

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Unlight

I know I was rushing too.  Only three days.  60 hours -- and so much to check out.  I missed a lot.  I expect I'll take the next BWE at a more leisurely pace since there are fewer question I NEED to have answered.

I agree with you both. I opened up 2% of the world map but I didn't actually scratch the surface of what was in that 2%. I got to almost level 9 without even trying.  I need to smell the roses a little better myself.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

about 1500 appearently...but they said they are going to keep adding more during weekly updates.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• BrodanBrodan Member UncommonPosts: 31

It was mentioned last year, but I have forgotten the reference source, sorry. At the time I believe they said it was over 1500 in the game already. They said they were continuing to work on new ones, and also had a post launch team already working on content updates.

• Fantastic video and I definitely need to slow down when playing.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

About 1500 to start, with more being continually added. Colin recently stated that they'll be adding them continually to all zones, and as they do so they'll be reducing the frequency of existing ones. So now, where the Broodmother (for example) spawns at a certain pace she may spawn later after three times the amount of time, but there will be two more unique events occuring instead.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Regular old quests my ass! Great video that shows what DEs are all about.