Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You lost me at Hero Engine

jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

I said yesterday that no matter how terrible the game looked i would play simply for being an Elder Scrolls game. That was before I found out that the game was running on the Hero Engine, the same terrible engine that TOR is running on. I dont know who in their right mind decided that the hero engine was gods gift to MMO's but its just aweful. Its one of those typical all fluff and no substance engines and its defiently one of the main reasons TOR failed and will be another reason why ESO fails. 

Seriously this is one of the worst things that could have ever happened to ESO, and it just shows that even bethesda can fall victim to some sly marketing by a poor engine development company that couldnt even realease their OWN mmo with the damn engine. Seriously what are all these people thinking? Couldnt they just make their own in house engine? It all goes down to greed I guess, but the with HERO engine being so expensive to purchase and use is it really worth it in the end for these companys?

Thank Talos (SADFACE) for Guild Wars 2...

Comments

• castamir11castamir11 Member Posts: 45

Dear God, say it ain't so.  Don't they see what limitations this engine has shown in SWTOR?  The magic of TES is the exploration...You can't have some generic themepark setting for TESO.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

If your only experience with the Hero Engine is through SWtOR, and you're making these sort of statements, then you're being a bit silly.

I've been using it for a fair while now and the 'raw' engine is nothing like the mess that Bioware released.

That's all I have to say on the matter. Please don't take offense, and don't write the game off yet :)

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by darwa

If your only experience with the Hero Engine is through SWtOR, and you're making these sort of statements, then you're being a bit silly.

I've been using it for a fair while now and the 'raw' engine is nothing like the mess that Bioware released.

That's all I have to say on the matter. Please don't take offense, and don't write the game off yet :)

This. How many instances of the Hero engine do we have in the wild currently?

Originally posted by castamir11

Dear God, say it ain't so.  Don't they see what limitations this engine has shown in SWTOR?  The magic of TES is the exploration...You can't have some generic themepark setting for TESO.

Are you certain the Hero engine is what limited the exploration in TOR?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

ESO already dead after 1 day first annoucement if all is true, Themepark-Hero Engine seems dissaster in the making:(

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• castamir11castamir11 Member Posts: 45

I looked up the Hero Engine wiki.  It says that the released games using this engine are Faxion Online and SWTOR.  How's that for a track record?

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Hero Engine runs better on my system than most other MMOs I've played.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Don't they see what limitations this engine has shown in SWTOR? 

Can you provide some examples and elaboration about those engine related limitations?

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Why does anyone think it uses a theme park model? Surely not because of the engine, unless you think the Unreal engines limit you to shooters.

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Seriously what are all these people thinking? Couldnt they just make their own in house engine?

Hah! Yeah, no big deal.

I looked up the Hero Engine wiki.  It says that the released games using this engine are Faxion Online and SWTOR.  How's that for a track record?

50% is great for a sample size of two.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • nonthalnonthal Member UncommonPosts: 57

SWTOR was based on a much older version of the Hero Engine. I read somewhere (sorry, to lazy to google for an hour trying to find it) that BW drastically changed the engine once they had the license. BW was even quoted at one point that they had made the engine thier own.  It is very pre-mature and shortsighted to judge Elder Scrolls based on that one fact. And even SWTOR has drastically improved its peformance over the last few months (*at least on my system, I usually run 40-80 fps, even in warzones). 

I am not all hyped on Elder Scrolls, what little I have read hasn't impressed me all that much yet - but I am going to keep an eye on it and not pre-judge it. A lot can happen between now and release.

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Didn't they say it's been in development for 3 years now? It's probably gonna be just another wow'ish themepark :/

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

Just to keep in mind, they started developmetn for this game in 2007.

Aside from writting an engine from scratch, and rather than choose NetImmerse or Gamebryo, this was probably not a bad idea at the time.

Also keep in mind, the engine is only as good as it is implemented. If someone has released games that were bad that were based on that engine, doesn't mean it's the engine's fault.

I look forward to DAoC 2 in TES universe. :)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by kanezfan

Didn't they say it's been in development for 3 years now? It's probably gonna be just another wow'ish themepark :/

2007-2012 yep 3 years... image

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

There are two things I swore I would never do again. Play another theme park game after GW2 and play ANY game that uses the Hero Engine.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

You can't really judge a game due to an engine which was used for a different game and at the same time was so heavily modified that its barely recognizable (apparently).

The way that Bioware decided to set their game up has nothing to do with game engine limitations at all. It's not like that because you use an engine that a game will absolutely become a themepark MMO or a sandbox MMO because that is what the engine has been use for in the past - it all comes down to what the developers using said engine for will make the game out to be, no matter the engine.

The Hero engine on the other hand is quite capable of getting both a prototype, as well as new content into a game without any downtime, as it is all streamed directly to everyones computer as soon as one person does something within it, this speeds up the developing time a lot as you don't have to recompile the entire engine from scratch everytime you actually make a change to something, or for that matter having to take down the server over and over again, but just change it as you work.

The Unreal 3 engine is another good example, as several people is actually developing RTS games with an engine which is normally only used for FPS type of games.

And if they have the source code to the HeroEngine as well - which they most likely do, then hopefully they know how to optimize things for whatever they are going to be using it for. 

It's not all black and white really.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by shamall

There are two things I swore I would never do again. Play another theme park game after GW2 and play ANY game that uses the Hero Engine.

See my above post...has to do with your post too.

Why are you people so ready to discount because of who makes it? Don't we have enough of a bad time with bad games? Can't we just chastise bad games and not folks that may do well? Who the hell are you to judge anyway?!?!

I just want ONE great game to come out. I don't care if Oprah makes it!!!

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

Didn't Zenimax or Bethesda already say they are modelling it after WoW mechanics? If I read correctly, the combat is hot-key based and not as real-time or real-control as other Elder Scrolls game. I think the quests and adventures are more akin to the generic quest hubs too, as you can't adventure out of your levelling area.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

I said yesterday that no matter how terrible the game looked i would play simply for being an Elder Scrolls game. That was before I found out that the game was running on the Hero Engine, the same terrible engine that TOR is running on. I dont know who in their right mind decided that the hero engine was gods gift to MMO's but its just aweful. Its one of those typical all fluff and no substance engines and its defiently one of the main reasons TOR failed and will be another reason why ESO fails. 

Seriously this is one of the worst things that could have ever happened to ESO, and it just shows that even bethesda can fall victim to some sly marketing by a poor engine development company that couldnt even realease their OWN mmo with the damn engine. Seriously what are all these people thinking? Couldnt they just make their own in house engine? It all goes down to greed I guess, but the with HERO engine being so expensive to purchase and use is it really worth it in the end for these companys?

You know nothing about hero engine. Go check some screenshots of now dead game called Prime (check videos too). Hero engine is quite upgradable and can even support dx 11. One of upcoming sandbox title (SWG clone) The Repopulation is also based on hero engine and looks great.

Only because BW failed to optimize hero engine doesn't mean that the engine itself is bad.

But hey knee jerk reactions are norm on these forums.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by Chrome1980

You know nothing about hero engine. Go check some screenshots of now dead game called Prime (check videos too). Hero engine is quite upgradable and can even support dx 11. One of upcoming sandbox title (SWG clone) The Repopulation is also based on hero engine and looks great.

Only because BW failed to optimize hero engine doesn't mean that the engine itself is bad.

Cant support DX11 yet...the support for it is still in the making.

Right now it's still DX9 engine.

Originally posted by kishe

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Cant support DX11 yet...the support for it is still in the making.

Right now it's still DX9 engine.

I said it is upgradable means it can be upgraded in future and capable of supprting dx 11.

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by xxvexerxx

You played one game with a ripped apart engine and you say no more? you are very ignorant and i bet you will play ESO, judging by the amount of games you played, youll play anything and stick to nothing.

Nice assumption. I stuck with DAOC until ToA drove it into the ground. I stuck with SWG until it was destroyed. I played WoW for three years till I coldnt take it anymore. There are many games as you see that I would have stuck with if not for devs taking them into a derection I did not like. Does that make me a fickle person?

I've had it with theme park games, there is just too damn many of them. As for the hero engine, it is a crap engine and I'm not just basing that on its horrible implementation in SWTOR.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

Originally posted by shamall

Originally posted by xxvexerxx

You played one game with a ripped apart engine and you say no more? you are very ignorant and i bet you will play ESO, judging by the amount of games you played, youll play anything and stick to nothing.

Nice assumption. I stuck with DAOC until ToA drove it into the ground. I stuck with SWG until it was destroyed. I played WoW for three years till I coldnt take it anymore. There are many games as you see that I would have stuck with if not for devs taking them into a derection I did not like. Does that make me a fickle person?

I've had it with theme park games, there is just too damn many of them. As for the hero engine, it is a crap engine and I'm not just basing that on its horrible implementation in SWTOR.

So what else are you basing it on? did you help develop the engine and you know something we don't? best thing about internet is anyone can make a ridiculous claim and get away with it.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

The ignorance of some posters...the Pathfinder devs have already said that the build Swtor uses is VERY outdated and they even purchased the engine when it was in a very early stage and not even publicly for sale at the time. But I guess one example is enough to write it off for some people..

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Hero Engine is fine just don't like EA/BW mod it.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

@OP & and the other doombringers swarming the TES forum since yesterday:

So, a TES MMO is announced and although we don't have anything solid about the game yet you come here and bitch because you don't like the engine it's build on. I don't know if TES online will be a good or bad game, with ZeniMax chances are 50 / 50, but i do know that it will be a much better place to be without the likes of you. 

Also, you should check the engine's website and try to comprehend it's many features before leaving your ignorant, spiteful and self-righteous comments here. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Saerain

Why does anyone think it uses a theme park model? Surely not because of the engine, unless you think the Unreal engines limit you to shooters.

Seriously what are all these people thinking? Couldnt they just make their own in house engine?

Hah! Yeah, no big deal.

50% is great for a sample size of two.

There are certain keywords that trigger knee-jerk responses, usually from the uninformed. If a game isn't made with the latest engine and the latest graphic tech it is immediately doomed to fail. Luckily, if these clowns aren't simply talking out their ass, we can be consoled in the fact that we won't have to deal with them since they are staying away from these 'fail' titles.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

This discussion has been closed.