Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I find Rift's events to be more fun than GW2's events, but I find GW2's quest to be more fun than Ri

Comments

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Creslin321

I thought Rift's rift events had a lot of potential, but several issues really made me not enjoy them:

1.  They were all basically the same.  Rift opens, kill monsters through stages, rift closes, reward.

2.  They didn't scale with the number of players.  Almost always the Rift was either nigh impossible because you didn't have enough people, or super easy because you had too many.  RARELY do you ever find a Rift that actually seems challenging.

3.  There was no "downleveling" of high level players.  This was really annoying because high level players seemed to CONSTANTLY want to help you with your level 12 Rift.  Thanks, but no thanks Mr. level 50...I really don't need you to one shot all my Rift monsters.

Invasions had potential as well, but the same problems apply.

1. Agree they do need more variety and applications

2. They do. That thing beside the monsters head with numbers by it going up as more people come close This was recently tweaked btw to be far more noticable

3. I honestly could not begin to tell how bad this would piss me off if I got scaled down to lvl 12. The solution in Rift was to take away the incentive to want to roflpwn lowbie Rifts

My issue with GW2 events is they will get old at end game and there is little no incentive to really go do them. The writing is clearly on the wall to me that the leveling will be great and end game on the pve side severely lacking.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Originally posted by OldManFunk

I still have an active Rift account and I completely disagree with the OP.

Rift events on emerald isle, the newest area with the best events, are zone wide and happen about once every few hours. The Rift events are zerged during prime time, don't scale, only fail during off hours and don't have a whole lot of variety despite having several different types of events. Either completing or failing a RIFT event has no real impact on the world.

GW2 on the other hand had several events going off in several different places throughout the map at all times. Most events scale to the number of players who are participating. When you fail the events the event doesn't just go away for a few hours... failing an event usually changes the local world in some way and starts a new event. Completing an event often opens up an area, NPC, spawn point or new content.

Rift events feel like a side show. There's no lasting change to the game world. No lasting impact when you win or lose, just rewards for participation. Everyone teleports to the zone when they happen and then go back to what they were doing when they end.

GW2 events felt like you were taking part in world changing events that had both cause and effect. You didn't travel to a zone to participate in a GW2 event for a token reward. You participated in GW2 events because they would naturally happen around you as you played. Failing an event would cause the world to change in a completely different manner than succeeding to complete an event.

You really need to play GW2 to understand why so many people have fallen in love with a game that hasn't been finished, yet. Commenting on what you saw in beta videos just isn't the same as experiencing it.

And you just missed the point of the thread. He doesn't care that what he says is false, he just wants to get a reaction out fans.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Creslin321

I thought Rift's rift events had a lot of potential, but several issues really made me not enjoy them:

1.  They were all basically the same.  Rift opens, kill monsters through stages, rift closes, reward.

2.  They didn't scale with the number of players.  Almost always the Rift was either nigh impossible because you didn't have enough people, or super easy because you had too many.  RARELY do you ever find a Rift that actually seems challenging.

3.  There was no "downleveling" of high level players.  This was really annoying because high level players seemed to CONSTANTLY want to help you with your level 12 Rift.  Thanks, but no thanks Mr. level 50...I really don't need you to one shot all my Rift monsters.

Invasions had potential as well, but the same problems apply.

1. Agree they do need more variety and applications

2. They do. That thing beside the monsters head with numbers by it going up as more people come close This was recently tweaked btw to be far more noticable

3. I honestly could not begin to tell how bad this would piss me off if I got scaled down to lvl 12. The solution in Rift was to take away the incentive to want to roflpwn lowbie Rifts

Oh look its puremallance the guy that hasn't played the game yet has an opinion on the game. 

also about #3. You dont really have to imagine it since the game clearly isn't for you and I doubt you will ever play the game. so dont imagine a scenario that wont happen.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Originally posted by silvermember

And you just missed the point of the thread. He doesn't care that what he says is false, he just wants to get a reaction out fans.

Oh no, I get it... and my response is to kindly educate the ignorant.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

i like people who keep saying just cuz people havent played the game yet means they shouldnt voice there opinion

pro tip for all the obvious first time beta players.a games beta and the actual release could be alot different,betas are usually trash that arent worth playing.the actual game could be alot better

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

i like people who keep saying just cuz people havent played the game yet means they shouldnt voice there opinion

pro tip for all the obvious first time beta players.a games beta and the actual release could be alot different,betas are usually trash that arent worth playing.the actual game could be alot better

If this beta counts as trash and it's going to get a lot better I can see the universe stopping it's expansion to wait.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Oh look its puremallance the guy that hasn't played the game yet has an opinion on the game. 

also about #3. You dont really have to imagine it since the game clearly isn't for you and I doubt you will ever play the game. so dont imagine a scenario that wont happen.

This scale down system you GW2 fans seem to have a hard on for is called Mentoring and it has been done for years. The difference is you are not forced into it in actual mmo's.

This game will be much easier to talk about once it releases. Everyone is in la la land right now about a 3 day BETA and no real experience at end game.

"The writing is clearly on the wall to me that the leveling will be great and end game on the pve side severely lacking."

end game lacking

lvling expierance good

its like swtor all over again

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

"The writing is clearly on the wall to me that the leveling will be great and end game on the pve side severely lacking."

end game lacking

lvling expierance good

What is end game?

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

end game lacking

lvling expierance good

There is no endgame, The levelling process is actually irrelevant in this game,  the whole world remains relevant whatever your level.  Achievments,titles,pve,pvp and all the other activities remain relevant at any level including max.  Before you post stuff like this you need to research be informed- or do we all just post whatever we like regardless of wether it is based on fact or not?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

This scale down system you GW2 fans seem to have a hard on for is called Mentoring and it has been done for years. The difference is you are not forced into it in actual mmo's.

This game will be much easier to talk about once it releases. Everyone is in la la land right now about a 3 day BETA and no real experience at end game.

Last I checked zero experience < 3 days experience.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Oh come now.  I would have killed for scale down in Rift as it would have kept all level ranges replayable as apposed to never going back to those zones again.  Also, nothing like 50's rolling your lev 8 rifts farming tablets.  The scale down feature is phenominal. 

I dunno what's worse, MMoExposed's silly threads or Puremallace's blind love for everything Rift.  This from a huge Rift fan myself.  Both are getting old.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Originally posted by DJJazzy

end game lacking

lvling expierance good

What is end game?

in MMORPG like wow and wow clones, the end game is grind some raids and dungeons to get the best set armour or weapon so have a huge advantage against other players on PvP. doing this raid 1 or 2 times are fun but keep doing over and over again is so so so boring. 

than they could say are amazing skill players because kill other easy. a game without this is just a crap. xDD

Originally posted by Bladestrom

end game lacking

lvling expierance good

There is no endgame, The levelling process is actually irrelevant in this game,  the whole world remains relevant whatever your level.  Achievments,titles,pve,pvp and all the other activities remain relevant at any level including max.  Before you post stuff like this you need to research be informed- or do we all just post whatever we like regardless of wether it is based on fact or not?

your assuming that i havent researched it

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Well looks like some people share similar opinion on this matter, and others dont.

I said Rift has more fun Events. I didnt say Events in GW2 were bad. Oh well, people read what they want to read.

Rift has Zone Invasions, IA, Rifts-PvE, Raid Rifts, Crafting Rifts, PvP rifts. there is jus ta lot of fun forms of events in Rift.

Questing on the other hand, is tradtional. I prefer the method of open group progression that GW2 has compared to tradtional model.

but oh well, people will once again see what they want to see...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Well looks like some people share similar opinion on this matter, and others dont.

I said Rift has more fun Events. I didnt say Events in GW2 were bad. Oh well, people read what they want to read.

Rift has Zone Invasions, IA, Rifts-PvE, Raid Rifts, Crafting Rifts, PvP rifts. there is jus ta lot of fun forms of events in Rift.

Questing on the other hand, is tradtional. I prefer the method of open group progression that GW2 has compared to tradtional model.

admit you where just trolling. xD

you even cant admit that 90% disagree with you in this topic, you just prefer say some agree with you others dont, like was almost a draw.lol

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

Watch this.

Get the picture?  Are there more than 1500 of these in Rift? 

Didn't think so.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Even coming from you, that's hypocritical.

Who agreed with you in this entire thread?

• ictownictown Member Posts: 123

I don't get why you would base your assumptions and playing time at level 1-15 area. It's like saying such as gamebreaker community tera starter level is crap therefore the whole game is crap and only mikeb is defending tera saying yes the first part of the game is terrible, but the rest of the game is fantastic.

Haven't played rifts, so i can't say much on the rift invasions.

i've only played starter level in gw2, therefore i can't say much about the whole dynamic events system. i did, however, read at the guild wars 2 offical forum, one developer stated at later levels dynamic levels are much harder and challenging and has more consequences

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

rift is just another dungeon grinding mmo and the quest systems is the worst i've ever played. you have to this quest to get this quest so you can do this next quest..awful design philosophy.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

he calls himself mmoexposed, i think he fancies himself as some kind of mmo secret detective.

Originally posted by Roybe

Watch this.

Didn't think so.

interesting video.

now look at this

see. Great events in both

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Watch this.

Didn't think so.

interesting video.

now look at this

They were kiting the big skelly dude in a circle. No CC, knockbacks, snares, interrupts, nothing. The little ones seemed similar to the Ghosts of Ascalon though. Very... purplish.

Seriously, they don't compare. The Rifts are simply mindless mob killing, nothing behind it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

Watch this.

Didn't think so.

interesting video.

now look at this

They were kiting the big skelly dude in a circle. No CC, knockbacks, snares, interrupts, nothing. The little ones seemed similar to the Ghosts of Ascalon though. Very... purplish.

Seriously, they don't compare. The Rifts are simply mindless mob killing, nothing behind it.

in GW2 you also kite event mobs. you take too much damage otherwise. So I dont see the point you are making here

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

Well I suppose it depends on your intent. What it is you find enjoyable. RIFT  is not the same game as GW2 even in a general sense. I don't understand the comparison. You can fight mobs in any game but that doesn't make the encounters the same. Events in game are not new , maybe the way they are being used is a new format since the events are scripted and not GM run. Still I dont see the comparison to RIFT which is more of a contemporary mmo. But what does it have to do with GW2 and why is it relevent? 

I seriously could do an entire opinion piece on why "events" are not new or even recent games that had similar set ups but were/are less known. Usually Asian mmorpgs. I know the technology behind the game is not truly groundbreaking but it is a different format from what we are used to.

No matter how asthetically they may appear to be similar, the contruction behind them is vastly different. GW2 doesn not demand you fight encounters or kill evil monsters where as RIFT does. Events or encounters in GW2 are fun and challenging as compared to required progression gearing.

It would be foolish to thing RIFT, and WOW will not try to emulate the next generation of mmorpgs. I would be shocked to find out otherwise. That doesn't make them the same game or good for side by side comparisons. Reasoning being RIFT is still holy trinity, you cant casually join encounters probably without a guild and a few dedicated haelers. Also in RIFT culture the only reason to do these encounters would be for gear. Two aspects GW2 is vastly different at.

Also the two videos, I don't see the comparison, one is a story leading to an event in real time as the player is moving through it, the other looks similar to some of the grinding I did on asian mmorpgs.