Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a DAOC Replacement....NOW.

ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I went back to this old but once great game and just can't stand the shape its in.So looking..or perhaps I should stop looking for 3-6 months ?

Comments

• digirossdigiross Member Posts: 4

Guild Wars 2 is the new DAOC replacement.  The PvP is very reminiscent of old-school DAOC RvR

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I would agree.Now lauch the dang thing !

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

http://www.hellokittyonline.com/

Sorry the little troll in my couldnt resist...there back in his cave  :)

Good luck in finding a DAOC replacement, the only game i ever liked PVP in

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

Actually, The Elder Scrolls Online is going to be DAoC 2... It's being created by one of the creators of DAoC's RvR model.

3 Faction PvP.

Really looking forward to it.

But sorry, not until 2013. :(

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 for an almost but not quite there daoc
    Planetside 2 later if you don't mind fps mechanics
    Elder scrolls online next year - sounds very daoc from what we know so far - whole province of cyrodil given over to rvr, open dungeons etc..

Also remote possibility the secret world, if they expand the pvp with more warzones
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Elder scrolls online next year - sounds very daoc from what we know so far - whole province of cyrodil given over to rvr, open dungeons etc..

Also remote possibility the secret world, if they expand the pvp with more warzones

Elder scrolls won't swim for me they are using the hero engine which in everygame I have tried it has trouble rendering more than a few people.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253

Definitely agree with the people here saying Elder Scrolls Online, it's headed by Matt Firor, who's given a lot of credit for creating DAoC's RvR system. It's going to feature a very similar RvR system as to DAoC, including 3-faction warfare, and a whole capitol city that's up for grabs to whichever faction that can hold it. And the top PvP'er of that faction is considered the "Emporer".

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by digiross

Guild Wars 2 is the new DAOC replacement.

GW2 will also cure acne, infertility, and end drought.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I went back to this old but once great game and just can't stand the shape its in.So looking..or perhaps I should stop looking for 3-6 months ?

Well, if ZeniMax Online Studios could wrest Mythic away from the greedy, greasy, filth-covered claws of EA, and Matt Firor was put in charge of creating a DAoC 2, I'd go back to DAoC in a heartbeat.

I'm not at all happy with the DAoC influence being applied to ESO-- Elder Scrolls is its own entity, and should be treated as such-- but if a sequel to DAoC were to be produced, I think it would stand on its own merits just fine.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Coldren

Actually, The Elder Scrolls Online is going to be DAoC 2... It's being created by one of the creators of DAoC's RvR model.

3 Faction PvP.

Really looking forward to it.

But sorry, not until 2013. :(

Having a similar PvP system doesn´t really make it DaoC2 even if the games certainly have some things in common.

I am looking forward to hear mnore about it but I wont get my hopes up...

Until OP can play GW2, it ain´t DaoC2 either but it have at least good 3 faction PvP. Seems Rift is adding something like that too. My bet is still on GW2 though.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by digiross

Guild Wars 2 is the new DAOC replacement.  The PvP is very reminiscent of old-school DAOC RvR

I agree, GW2 is your best bet. I played DAOC for years back when the game first came out until Trials of Atlantis. GW2 is the only thing that comes near the massive keep seiging battles we had back then.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Wicoa

Elder scrolls won't swim for me they are using the hero engine which in everygame I have tried it has trouble rendering more than a few people.

For the record ESO is not using hero engine, http://www.examiner.com/article/the-elder-scrolls-online-is-not-using-the-hero-engine

To the OP, im not sure.  So many games are trying to do open world pvp but none have nailed it in todays lineup.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Go GW2 WvsW is just awesome u wont make a mistake.

• MastaraMastara Member Posts: 9
    There isn't a DAoC replacement. GW2 is not really like daoc. Its too WoWish. The pvp is almost exactly like WoW, just open world and instanced with several objectives that they took from DAoC. There is not 3 realms. Its just 3 different servers fighting eachother. Still not 3 realms. The lack of stealthers in GW2 also is very disappointing. No game besides DAoC has been able to touch what PVP should be. And I've tried almost all MMOs out. Nothing can compare to DAoC. Except the hope for one day playing DAoC 2.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I helped built a town in HKO which is probly still in the current version. Anyways, GW2 if you like bashing on the doors like back in the good old days.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    awesome necro thread , the posters who said in this back in may should come post here again about how they still think gw2 is like DAOC when its not at all. All gw2 world vs world is , is zerge farming or herding and nothing . Heck half the people cant even get into world vs world on most servers because of the terrible queue. I miss DAOC myself and wish mythic would breath some life into it or warhammer online so I could actually get some good realm rank system pvp going. Not this 100 exp snoozefest thats way worse then Doorhammer Online.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Wicoa

I guess then you have only tried 1 game right and that would be SWTOR..

Hero engine is very capable and go do many things from an fps type game to massive seamless open worlds...

Just because Bioware had a really early version of the engine and managed to mash it into a pulp does not mean the engine is bad.. check out the upcoming The Repopulation for a better example on what the hero engine can do..

Anyway im sure they said they wehre not going to use the hero engine? or did they change their mind?

As for a DAOC replacement.. well as others have said GW2 is similar i guess but you will have to wait to get into the WvWvW as there are massives queues still..

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Play on a smaller server get in WvW straight away. Also pve experience is better on a smaller server, not a huge rolling zerg ROFL stomping events.