Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Reason to Go with TERA Over GW2...

killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

...Right Now.

It's not because TERA is any better of a game or can provide any more entertainment.  It's not because of gameplay or graphics.  It's not because of a subscription versus cash shop, or BAMs or quest hubs or whatever else you want to throw in here.

It's because TERA is already out.  I have enjoyed both TERA and GW2 so far.  However, I know I can log on to TERA right now, yet I have no idea when I'll get to play GW2 again.  I'm not saying don't buy GW2 when it releases or that it will provide any less entertainment than TERA.  I AM saying, would you rather have fun now and more fun later or just fun later?

If the box price + sub is an issue for you, then maybe it is a better idea to wait if you believe you will prefer GW2 or if the pricing model will work better for you.  Otherwise, if the cost isn't going to hurt, I would recommend at least giving it a try.  Can't go wrong with two fun games instead of one fun game.

Comments

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

My copy should arrive tomorrow. I plan to play both seeing as GW2 has no subs. I think they're both worth playing. I don't understand why so many people have to make a big deal about choosing only one to play.

• omegadethh7omegadethh7 Member Posts: 29

This is why you should play Tera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfaCo6NOiEQ&feature=plcp

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

Originally posted by omegadethh7

yeah.. now imagine what a pedo would do with elin..

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230

epic..image

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Works for me!

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

lol @ the link

But yeah you're right.. I know very little about TERA and I'm dying for GW2.. but I might get TERA to hold me over till then.. going to do some research now.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Yeah I mean at this point it's like, which is better, TERA or WoW2.  GW2 doesn't even have a release date.

• ZodanZodan Member Posts: 564

Wow! Combat seems awesome =)

• paulrgodpaulrgod Member UncommonPosts: 240

:D

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I dont think there is any good reason to play Tera instead of GW2, but there are enough reasons to play it till GW2 releases.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

plenty of reasons for many to chose tera over gw2. mainly gw2 combat is bland. tera has brought action gameplay to mmorpgs unlike other failed attempts at doing so. Personally i will play both games. Tera for the PvE and GW2 for the pvp.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

I'm sold.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

I am playing both games.  My guild in Tera will switch back to WoW once that ugly Mists of Pandaria comes out.  I, however, will be finishing up BAM solos on a few toons in Tera and playing GW2 solo play.

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

I just installed it last night and plan to really dive in this weekend.  

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

In my mind you can either choose Tera, or Dialbo3. Im going with Diablo3 as its buy2play(no subs) and different than most MMOs. Tera is different too, but not enough for me to want to sub to it.

• JohnCreedJohnCreed Member CommonPosts: 67

Tera is a waste of money. It has no end-game. You'll play it for a month or two and then quit.

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by JohnCreed

Tera is a waste of money. It has no end-game. You'll play it for a month or two and then quit.

Did you even read the thread?

That's exactly what they are saying... Playing Tera till GW2 will be released.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Kehdar

Originally posted by JohnCreed

Did you even read the thread?

That's exactly what they are saying... Playing Tera till GW2 will be released.

You know I'll bet they didn't... they just came in to bash the game and leave.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Personally I liked TERA (from their betas) way better then GW2 (I've been that beta for a while now). Each to their own and all, but ya.. it's out now so if there was nothing else to play, I would be all over it. My only reason I don't buy it is I'm a D3 freak and that's out very soon.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

While boobs are nice I prefer epic combat like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqVYdlHcI9E

Fail tank and we still pulled it off cause the rest of us were able to dodge the attacks.

• Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Why grind in a game you're going to leave in a few months?

The game looks like Sonic the Hedgehog...
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Twisted77

Why grind in a game you're going to leave in a few months?

The game looks like Sonic the Hedgehog...

Well I'm a huge fan of GW2, but I am also a huge fan of the mmorpg genre. Tera is a good looking game and I'm going to play it until GW2 comes out. I'm not saying GW2 is better, but there is no use sitting here waiting for it to come out when something like Tera is available now! :) 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

I purchased DE Tera as a passtime before GW2 (played GW2 BWE and prepurchased of course). lvl 10 now. And I don't know ... meh. The combats are not even that revolutionary, quests are just walls of text again, and the evolution of character is super linear. But it's beautiful for sure, and honestly it's a relaxing game, which is exactly what I need during a few monthes.

But I admit, I already miss GW2's combat. Tera's one is sure dynamic, but there are far less strategies and skill based fights.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

I want to play TERA; I really do. I've just been kicked below the belt too many times this year. I want a game to cure my MMO itch; but I should probably stick to a F2P. = 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Dude, Lineage 2's was a WHOLE LOT more skimpier.  I mean, they made statues of the elves, i.e. Dark Elves (just don't get it from Amazon, ripoff price).  PvP I recall back in the day was kinda distracting with all the hawtness trying to kill me.  Girls going after you straight through the heart!

I am giving the game a whirl though.  I like the combat, but I think it's more active and at its best with the melee types.  Range (archer, magic) still feels like normal MMORPG combat, but regardless of any class, you do really need to move and displace alot more.  There are very definite style differences between Lancer, Berserker, and Slayer.  Haven't tried Warrior yet.

My favorite so far is Slayer.  The reach with a greatsword, respectably speedy attack for such a weapon, and best of all, the mobility and dodging with the class (it's only medium / leather armored at best).  A real mobile damage dealer and it keeps me on my toes.  Not to mention that Slayers are a bit under-represented.  I see most people as Lancers, Warriors, Sorcerers.  I almost never see Priests.  I see Mystics more than I do the primary healers of the game.

PVE:  Very standard MMORPG fare.  Quest hubs, errands, kill X, etc.  Nothing new.  I can't exactly place the traits, but as soon as I start in the actual game world, the "style" and UI immediately tells me its asian development roots.  Not saying it's bad, but it immediately reminded me of Lineage 2 and Granado Espada (sp).

Something I do wish the game had, which WAR had and the subsequent GW2 will have (I think) are Public Quest Zones.  Esp. for boss areas.  There's lots of people right now, and if you're not organized together, it can be a messy game of tagging / doing most DPS on a boss to claim credit.

Haven't really gotten into the PvP side of the house yet.  I've been trying a bunch of classes.  Curious to see how the politics thing works out later in the game, as well as getting with a guild and see how that affects the game.

Compared to some of the last MMORPGs I played, I really do appreciate seeing alot of other players out in the same world as I am, as well as the opportunity to work with each other more.  I've gotten tired of the very heavy, heavy instance using of alot of new titles in the last few years, tired of how they divide the playerbase into smaller and smaller groups.  TERA still has instances, but it's used alot less.  It makes the game feel more alive instead of just some static spawns with a few "walkers" going about.  Don't know if you can run / ride from one major region to another for a more seamless world.  I know you can use the Pegasus transport, but that's fast travel from a main town / city.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)