Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls is hugely popular so...

ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

...i dont believe this latest article at all.

Do you realy think Bethesda gonne screw up this IP while they sold 12million copys of Skyrim the game that got scores far over 9 all over world and Game of the YEAR award, i very doub that.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Comments

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

Originally posted by Classicstar

Do you realy think Bethesda gonne screw up this IP while they sold 12million copys of Skyrim the game that got scores far over 9 all over world and Game of the YEAR award, i very doub that.

I'd like to believe it was a Hoax, seems like they perposely said everything bad about the genre in one sentence. Could be a really slick PR stunt from Bethesda, but the way the market is headed I'm pretty sure it's real.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Except it's not Bethesda.  Bethesda's parent company is using the IP rights and having another one of its studios build the MMORPG.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Honestly, if they've been working on this game long enought to consider a 2013 launch, it is very possible they're following the tried-and-trueish route.

Sorry.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by LizardEgypt

I'd like to believe it was a Hoax, seems like they perposely said everything bad about the genre in one sentence. Could be a really slick PR stunt from Bethesda, but the way the market is headed I'm pretty sure it's real.

The article indicates that this is a studio seperate from the ones that make the single player games, the only input is the lead designer, pops in and approves the lore.  

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

I still think Bethesda would never aloud this to happen that could destroy them like with bioware.

Unless offocrse they still make new superb Skyrim solo rpg follow ups then i dont care at all:)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

It's real, of course it's going to stick somewhat closely to traditional theme park conventions and borrow mostly from the lore of ES than anything else.

People aren't going to throw 100M or more at a new MMO title and not stick too closely to convention, could result in economic suicide.

Say what you want about SWTOR, at the end of the day it will cover its costs and return a decent profit, and in no way can you call it the death of Bioware.

I think DA2 and MA3 did more damage to the Bioware brand than SWTOR. (though it certainly didn't help either)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Bigger names have done dumber things.  And it's only been the last couple of years where the gaming industry has started to put some distance between itself and "the way it's always been done".  Likely, they started development before that.  Still, it's not a valid excuse for a developer of that caliber to take the well-worn road rather than forging their own path.  It's just safe and lazy.

Well, maybe they will shock us all yet.  One article isn't enough to write the sucker off.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

EDIT: Administrators, fix that quote code!

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I still think Bethesda SHOULD never HAVE ALLOWED this to happen. THIS could destroy them like(  IT DID ) with bioware.

Unless OFCOURSE they  make A  new superb Skyrim solo rpg follow up then i WONT care at all:)

I try to not be a grammer nazi but damn...fixed

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

Do you realy think...

Yes.  When it comes to the mmorpg genre, it doesn't matter how sensible, sane, or successful a studio has been.  All common sense, logic, reason, and especially creativity and original thought is completely thrown out the window.

Instead of reigning in their expectations and designing a smaller and creative MMO that doesn't break the bank, they all instead chase after the delusional $$$12millionwowsubs$$$ and aim to be the best and largest mmorpg ever.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by greyed-out

Do you realy think...
    Yes.  When it comes to the mmorpg genre, it doesn't matter how sensible, sane, or successful a studio has been.  All common sense, logic, reason, and especially creativity and original thought is completely thrown out the window.
    Instead of reigning in their expectations and designing a smaller and creative MMO that doesn't break the bank, they all instead chase after the delusional $$$12millionwowsubs$$$ and aim to be the best and largest mmorpg ever.

Maybe, mabe i realy hope not thats the case would be realy sad seeing one of best game series ever ruined by dumb down craptastic mmo.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Exactly what I think!

Think about it.

If you put your finger on the pulse of the MMO community, the rythem that would beat back would sound like WoW clone.  How perfect would it be for them to leak an article that wont release for another month, and actually tell you that the game will be a wow clone. 

The most geniously devious troll EVAR!!!1

It's just to perfect to be anything but a joke!!!

Think about it.

The guy in charge of the game comes from what is considered the best pvp mmo ever.  It's official that it'll have 3 faction pvp, but never once does the article ever mention DAoC.  It instead makes it a point to mention that they're taking every feature of WoW, the ones that recieve the most negative attention, and using them to make the game.  It really stood out to me that the game has a pretty significant connnectiion to DAoC, but repeatedly talks about WoW.

Mostly though, why would you tell the world that you're making the online ES game that your fans have always wanted, only to have an article published a month later that goes to great lengths to explain to people that it's not going play anything like any ES game. 

And now, think about this.

How many people are going to go out and buy the june issue of Game Informer?  Or should I say, how many MORE people are going to buy a copy now.  GI isn't just doing a cover story, bethesda is releasing information exclusively to GI about TESO.

My spider sense is through the roof.  It has to be a joke.  I REALLY hope it's a joke.  It's just to perfect!

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I don't know anything but if they wanted to do it right would be a EQ/AC clone not DAoC/WOW clone. Also, they need to rename it NIm online or something not Elder Scrolls. Elder Scrolls is the RPG series name not the name of the world.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I hope it's a joke. It would be a REALLY good one if it was!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Bethesda publishes (not develops) stinkers from time to time, and they did trust Obsidian with their Fallout NV, it turned out pretty good, but it's still a risky move. 

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

Originally posted by Kyleran

It's real, of course it's going to stick somewhat closely to traditional theme park conventions and borrow mostly from the lore of ES than anything else.

People aren't going to throw 100M or more at a new MMO title and not stick too closely to convention, could result in economic suicide.

Say what you want about SWTOR, at the end of the day it will cover its costs and return a decent profit, and in no way can you call it the death of Bioware.

I think DA2 and MA3 did more damage to the Bioware brand than SWTOR. (though it certainly didn't help either)

swtor cost 200-300 million. no one knows how many subs they have currently but it is for sure less that 1.7million. unless they sold 4-6 million boxes or something i dont think think they will break even for a while. they might even never break even. EA stock is failing for no reason...

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I would have faith in Bethesda Softworks, the developer that brought us our beloved Elder Scrolls games to deliver a great MMORPG.

...Unfortunately, they are not developing this game.  This game is made by some upstart studio headed up by a guy that worked on DAoC.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Skyrim made the franchise seem to be hugely popular but that is only because the game was released on multiple platforms.

When it comes down to PC sales and PC fan base, there is nothing "huge" going on there...

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

when I first read copy and pasted text from the article I was positive someone was just trolling. I actually laughed out loud.

Then I found out they were serious.

well I am not playing that is for sure, and not as a poltical statement but rather I think I would rather just play Darkfall instead, if I play at all but to be honest my gaming days have been coming to an end for awhile now

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

You have to remember Zenimax owns bethesda. They own the IP for TES. The devs that made skyrim may hate TESO. Zenimax can do what ever they want with the IP.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by DSWBeef

You have to remember Zenimax owns bethesda. They own the IP for TES. The devs that made skyrim may hate TESO. Zenimax can do what ever they want with the IP.

This is the only part that makes the entire story that holds my view of how the universe intact. I hope, for my sake, that the folks who created Syrim are rolling their eyes on on this one.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me