Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is my good bye.

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    So someone, someone's are leaving SWTOR. People tried it and didn't like it and they leave. Others leave WOW and go to SWTOR. SWTOR probably has a higher rate I imagine because there was a lot of hype and unrealistic expectation. WoW has been around a while with many expansions, to keep people happy. It called a life cycle. I do notice that every WoW player who moves on, doesn't feel obligated to start a thread to say so.

I self identify as a monkey.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by Piiritus

Originally posted by Grotar89

One by one TOR fanboys drop like flies, further proof that SW TOR is failing hard, thank god we have GW2 coming.

TOR failiure is actually good for MMOs ppl will realize they cant make bad WoW clones...

A GW2 fanboi rubbing his hands together. A few months to wait until we start seeing posts like this about GW2. I suggest you to save your vitriol until then because all trends indicate that GW2 will be trolled very hard.

After that game launches I'm pulling up to my desk with a large tub of popcorn and enjoying the show. ;)

I can't care less about GW2, not my thing, but I see it getting almost TORish hype and that only tells me there are a lot of people that arn't using TOR as a lesson for companies to stop the crap they have all put out for years. I hope GW2 is good but good lord let it launch before judging it or this AAA bad games Ground Hogs' Day will never end.

We will never get out of this cycle until the sheep stop BUYING the damn games and covering production cost from box sells alone. Make the bastards make good games before they make a profit.

Gamers are so....manipulatable

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by oubers

Originally posted by mikahr

He he, even most avid fanbois are quitting :)

i find it pretty distrurbing that you actually like that to be honest....people just love to see other "fail" so they can feel about themselfs??

sad, very sad....

I actually think people are happy its failing because they hate how all the AAA MMO's copy WoW in so many ways and they want to see innovative AAA mmorpgs instead of the crap indie mmo's that we get.

Also i personally dont think its failing. 

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Color me ditto. I too was a fanboy and you can look at my past posts to verify it. I am fed up with the fact that my server is dead and Bioware is slow walking a fix. Also, the lack of a cross server LFG is very upsetting to me as well. Those things caused me to finally jump on the GW2 train, and I am glad I finally gave in to the hype. The past beta weekend was a blast!

I will keep SWTOR on the back burner, but I am not sure if I will revisit it.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Bardus

I can't care less about GW2, not my thing, but I see it getting almost TORish hype and that only tells me there are a lot of people that arn't using TOR as a lesson for companies to stop the crap they have all put out for years. I hope GW2 is good but good lord let it launch before judging it or this AAA bad games Ground Hogs' Day will never end.

We will never get out of this cycle until the sheep stop BUYING the damn games and covering production cost from box sells alone. Make the bastards make good games before they make a profit.

What is amusing is that it is some of the exact same posters too. Doing the same thing they did with this game where anyone mentions something even remotely negative, questionable, or a possible issue they go bananas. Will be interesting to see what happens with them once the honeymoon phase is over again.

That and the assured Elikal posts telling us how he likes it, loves it, hates it, hates it but playing, hates it and not playing, playing and likes it, unhappily playing, etc. and so on with the circle of life.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

So someone, someone's are leaving SWTOR. People tried it and didn't like it and they leave. Others leave WOW and go to SWTOR. SWTOR probably has a higher rate I imagine because there was a lot of hype and unrealistic expectation. WoW has been around a while with many expansions, to keep people happy. It called a life cycle. I do notice that every WoW player who moves on, doesn't feel obligated to start a thread to say so.

Very true my friend... I find it very funny that people feel the need to announce every time they leave a game. I quit playing game all the time, I just don't feel the need to make it a media event...ROFL

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

One by one TOR fanboys drop like flies, further proof that SW TOR is failing hard, thank god we have GW2 coming.

TOR failiure is actually good for MMOs ppl will realize they cant make bad WoW clones...

A GW2 fanboi rubbing his hands together. A few months to wait until we start seeing posts like this about GW2. I suggest you to save your vitriol until then because all trends indicate that GW2 will be trolled very hard.

After that game launches I'm pulling up to my desk with a large tub of popcorn and enjoying the show. ;)

First off... let me get this straight... you're calling anyone who is playing TOR a sheep? Do you realize the conceit in what you're saying? You're basically saying that what you like is right, and what others like is just wrong, cause it's not what you like... very mature. 

I play TOR because I like it. I'm having fun playing it. Aparently, I'm just a sheep for liking the game. All I'm asking is to be open to the idea that not everyone likes or dislikes what you do.. difference of opinions is no need to call people sheep. This is the problem with the MMO community. People like different games for different reasons and there's no need for you to get angry or pissed because someone likes something. 

What you need to realize is that 300 pissed off gamers on this site doesn't dictate the entire MMO community. There are plenty of MMO players that don't come onto these sites. The vocal crowd is by FAR the minority. The industry is going to go with what is selling. If games that you don't like are selling, theres no need to belittle others by saying they like the wrong thing. 

Gamers are so.... narcissistic..

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

My gaming friend recently said the funniest thing regarding SWTOR.    He said, "you can polish a turd, but it is still a turd."  I think many people may feel this way about the game as well.   Sad when you think that the Star Wars Universe is one of the biggest IP's on the planet and yet because of how Bioware designed the game and implemented it they didn't make a better game.  

• DracillDracill Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Sheep is the word some people use to tell you that you are following a game just riding the hype. That you prepurchased a game without trying it. That you are just following the other 1000 post explaining you that the game cure cancer.

Maybe in December some people could think that play SWTOR was following a trend and being a sheep. But now with everyone in the media and the forums telling around that SWTOR is a failure and the cool people must play GW2 I'm sure the SWTOR players aren't sheep's they aren't following anyone.

Sheep's are now following the big flashing signs telling them to play GW2 and be cool.
  • SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Ahh ... I really hope that this time Devs all over the world will stop trying to make a WoW clones and sit and think about something new...I actually hope that their Producers will do the same and I really hope the Investors will finally get it.

When you have a fully develloped character in WoW, in reality you are always waiting for new content to come allong to come back to it...why should you go through the same steps in another, why deal with the bugs the launch perks for the same experience...no one, no matter how avid fans they may seem to be..is a masochist.

On the other hand many people would be willing to go through the initial ups and downs of a new game if it actually was different.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Originally posted by Teala

My gaming friend recently said the funniest thing regarding SWTOR.    He said, "you can polish a turd, but it is still a turd."  I think many people may feel this way about the game as well.   Sad when you think that the Star Wars Universe is one of the biggest IP's on the planet and yet because of how Bioware designed the game and implemented it they didn't make a better game.  

Playing it safe rarely results in remarkable results.

It shows in this case.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Praetalus

First off... let me get this straight... you're calling anyone who is playing TOR a sheep? Do you realize the conceit in what you're saying? You're basically saying that what you like is right, and what others like is just wrong, cause it's not what you like... very mature. 

I play TOR because I like it. I'm having fun playing it. Aparently, I'm just a sheep for liking the game. All I'm asking is to be open to the idea that not everyone likes or dislikes what you do.. difference of opinions is no need to call people sheep. This is the problem with the MMO community. People like different games for different reasons and there's no need for you to get angry or pissed because someone likes something. 

What you need to realize is that 300 pissed off gamers on this site doesn't dictate the entire MMO community. There are plenty of MMO players that don't come onto these sites. The vocal crowd is by FAR the minority. The industry is going to go with what is selling. If games that you don't like are selling, theres no need to belittle others by saying they like the wrong thing. 

Elitist  was the word that immediatley sprang to my mind after reading his post, but narcissist works as well.

I'd like to know just what a developer is suppose to do when they are ready to release a new game that won't be misconstrued as hype on this board? Both Bioware and ANET have done nothing wrong in the marketing of their games. They knew their target audience and they advertised to it. That's not hyping, that called marketing, which any decent company worth anything does.

But here'sa novel concept, let's spend millions of dollars to develop a game, but make no efforts to market it to the key demographic that will actually buy the game and just hold our breaths and hope for the best? Yeah right.. ,

Far as his little sheep comment goes.........

/facepalm

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

What do I care if you like it or not? Happy for ya.

I was talking about buying games before they are released. What incentive is that for companies to make a game good?

TOR may be good for you but you might want to look around, your falling into the minority now.

The greatest IP and game budget in history is nothing but a beached whale now.

It didn't have to be that way, it could of been so much more if the companies stop trying to climb the hill some other game already controls.

They keep doing it because we the gamers keep letting them by being sheep for every new release there is.

Why not let the games launch and then we can actually judge it and support it if it's any good.

If we stop being sheep then the companies will have to actually make a quality product.

TOR sucks because we the gamers let them get away with it. No one to blame but ourselves.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

For the intesity of the emotion behind how much this person liked the game, I feel that this goodbye left me feeling unsatisfied.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Originally posted by Kyleran

No they are not!  EA says subs are holding steady, so it must be true regardless of the actual evidence you have observed.

But seriously, I think that's how we have to look at MMO's these days, fun for a few months after lauch, then you take a break and come back after the next content expansion.

The era of long term play is probably long past.

This is the way I personally played wow after Burning Crusade.  Why spend months getting gear that they are going to toss aside with the newer fancier versions?  Play an MMO for a month or two, finish the content and cancel.  Maybe, if enough of us do this, the games might improve a little? lol.  Right now have finished the Sith side of SWTOR and am working my way through the repub side.  Once I finish I can cancel and wait for the next big patch :)

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

And what about people that buy the game and actually enjoy it?  Not everyone has the same tastes right?  You might like Asparagus and Refried beans, that doesn't make you a sheep.  I personally cannot stand asparagus or beans.  Because you like something which I do not does that make you or I less of a human being?  Or does the varying tastes provide multiple markets which can be explored and mined?

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

No they are not!  EA says subs are holding steady, so it must be true regardless of the actual evidence you have observed.

But seriously, I think that's how we have to look at MMO's these days, fun for a few months after lauch, then you take a break and come back after the next content expansion.

This This this!

I think long gond are the days of playing an MMO for years at a time.  Every game that comes out these days takes almost nothing in the ways of challenge or time to breeze thru the content.  Once you've done it you wait for the next bit of content to breeze thru.  This almost requires that you have another game or two to keep yourself interested while waiting.

I honestly wish it wasn't this way, I like the idea of playing long term but games have nothing in them lately to incentivise it.  I think developers are aware of this too, at least the people funding and reaping the bulk of the benefits.  Look at EA for the best example.  They have SWTOR, now Secret World., I wager they figure if they have a handful of games that people bounce to, one game holding subs long term doesn't matter as long as the overall number stays the same.

I'm just not sure if i'm frustrated by this or if I've given up and given in to the fact of it.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by severius

And what about people that buy the game and actually enjoy it?  Not everyone has the same tastes right?  You might like Asparagus and Refried beans, that doesn't make you a sheep.  I personally cannot stand asparagus or beans.  Because you like something which I do not does that make you or I less of a human being?  Or does the varying tastes provide multiple markets which can be explored and mined?

Thats true.  However the point is that it TOR is so much poorer than it could have been - we as consumers should indeed complain if a game is sub-par - especially when you pay nearly £120 a year for the game!!.  As an example just have a look at the newly announced Elder Scrolls mmorg, it is potentially making the exact same mistakes - some players will like it, but that does not make it a good design. 

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by severius

This is the way I personally played wow after Burning Crusade.  Why spend months getting gear that they are going to toss aside with the newer fancier versions?  Play an MMO for a month or two, finish the content and cancel.  Maybe, if enough of us do this, the games might improve a little? lol.  Right now have finished the Sith side of SWTOR and am working my way through the repub side.  Once I finish I can cancel and wait for the next big patch :)

I tried to point out flaws in EQ/WoW designs and was always told that MMO cannot succeed in any other way, pointing at WoW as proof yet dissmissing all other failed MMOs with same design.

Until designers/devs sit and come up with something new, people (except small minority) will just play as you do. Somehow, after SWTOR, i dont think we will see WoW like design with huge budget anytime soon. Dompanies and investors will finally realize that MMO market need fresh ideas and WoW-like designs are not gonna yield satisfying results to any game but WoW.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Originally posted by Sora2810

Originally posted by MosesZD

Originally posted by Monorojo

We had fun SWTOR. I loved you, i hated you, you were my everything, you were my nothing.

I will always remember the times we had together. They were decent in retrospect.

Good night sweet prince. Back to WoW I go.

I remember when you were a stalwart member of the BioWare Defense Force and would white knight ever little criticism.

So was I. I defended SWTOR since 2008 with my dying breath. Realizing I wasted all those years for a sub-par cash-cow sends me into a dark place.

One thing I never understood is why folks have to defend a game in the first place. From my 13 years of MMO'ing I see the "very similar" trend with each hyped up game. I know this will sound very stereotypical, but I see this very common with males usually ranging from the teens up to the mid-twenties. It is not always the case but it seems very common to me. Not sure if it is the testosterone talking.

You guys do realize that all of these games are made up of a bunch of 0's and 1's. Behind that are the "code monkeys." Behind that are the managers (who usually end up making stupid decisions). Behind that are the upper management folks (who end up making even more stupid decisions). Behind that you have the President or C.E.O and behind that the lovable investors. A good portion of what you pay (including a monthly subscription) will end up way up there. So unless you guys love to defend "funding" that investor's 2nd Lamborghini... I am not sure why folks get passionate behind defending video games. Unless of course you are passionate about defending their 2nd Lamborghini.

It doesn't mean you can't enjoy these games or even get hyped up... a little... but all with moderation. I mean you guys do realize that the MMO landscape has changed quite drastically from the past 10-15 years. And most of the large companies churn out these very same games using the same old tired formula (with maybe one new addition tacked on) over and over and over again promising using nothing but PR that they made the perfect game for casuals and hard cores alike.

It really should not surprise folks these days that the majority of these games do have a rapid drop off, and usually within the first 3 to 6 months. It doesn't matter if it is SWTOR, or TERA, or The Secret World, or Blade & Soul, or World of Darkness, or FFXIV 2.0, or ArcheAge, or Phantasy Star Online 2, or Guild Wars 2. If at the end of the day, there isn't a substantial amount of folks out there willing to support these games (which by the way most of these projects cost into the 10's of millions and in some cases 100's of millions of dollars) then there is no chance for any sort of longevity with any of them.

Elitist  was the word that immediatley sprang to my mind after reading his post, but narcissist works as well.

I'd like to know just what a developer is suppose to do when they are ready to release a new game that won't be misconstrued as hype on this board? Both Bioware and ANET have done nothing wrong in the marketing of their games. They knew their target audience and they advertised to it. That's not hyping, that called marketing, which any decent company worth anything does.

But here'sa novel concept, let's spend millions of dollars to develop a game, but make no efforts to market it to the key demographic that will actually buy the game and just hold our breaths and hope for the best? Yeah right.. ,

Far as his little sheep comment goes.........

/facepalm

For starters how about actually putting in the game what they market or is that a novice concept?

• ThebigbopperThebigbopper Member Posts: 114

These forums are only good to have a chuckle. The forums rarely have anything good to say about any game and are full of negatives. I could go back to 5 years or more and there were posts saying WOW was about to fail. Now it's how SWTOR is fail and yet it is the 2nd most subbed western MMORPG.

What makes a game the best MMORPG is subjective and if it was not we would all be playing the same game.

The forum moderators should have" i hate whatever game forums" as well as fan ones because anyone who has a positive comment just gets shouted down as a fanboi. It's a sad part of thse forums that anyone who actually comes to these forums who likes the game has to wade through a bunch of negative vitriol.

The intriguing part is that a lot of the negative people are basically saying they are GW2 fans, they will get to know what happens when a game they like gets negative comments. It will happen on these forums no doubt, it would not matter how good it is it will happen...at least on these forums.......

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Opapanax

We had fun SWTOR. I loved you, i hated you, you were my everything, you were my nothing.

I will always remember the times we had together. They were decent in retrospect.

image Whaaaaa.... image

Did he really even leave WoW, I thought he was playing TOR.....

Meh, the games are all the same to me.  Just tell me if it was the one with orcs, or the ones with voiceovers.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

/Yoda voice on

Your stuff I can have?

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I can honestly say I won't be coming back to this game even after an expansion. No ill will towards the game just no interest whatsoever in it no matter what they do.

Normally I do at the very least peek my head in from time to time in these games but far as this one goes...

No thanks...

I can honestly say I think this is the first mmo I have played that I have no desire whatsoever to return to it even when they offer free time to play.

Yeah, can't see myself returning either.  It is the first MMO I don't have an itch to at least login and see how things are going.

My guild has rolled up, like so many others.  Even when there is people in this game, everyone forgets, they aren't grouping for the most part except for end-game stuff.  During the leveling process, I saw people all the time.  none were grouped tho. So even if I come back, it will still remain a solo, single player experience.

I have Skyrim or Witcher 2 for that.  I don't need to pay 15 bucks a month.  I don't see this changing, so no desire to return.