Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs

Comments

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Who's making the game? If its Todd Howard and company i will get excited but if its some stupid online division of Zenimax filled with old mmo developers then ill pass.

Last I checked Todd Howard had no interest in making a Elder Scrolls MMO. Either they twisted his arm or got his go ahead to make the game with a completely new studio with the game set in a time period that Todd would never use in his games.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by Digna

It's really good news but so far off that it is only going to remain something "I heard was coming'. Once they actually start development and move somewhere with it..cool beans.

Dud ethey have been developing it for eons, or do you think they hired Matt in 2007 for him just to twiddle his thumbs for 5 years ??  they already have a customer service team in place in Galway in the exact same office block Bioware was prior to Bioware moving to the custom built facility on the outskirts of Galway.

• jairusjairus Member UncommonPosts: 175

they said the game was going to be WoW style mechanics. that it would not have the freedom tes players expect. lol.. complete fail. with heroic modes and raiding.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Originally posted by NaughtyP

Obviously the graphics in the very first article about the game are never going to improve. I bet the events will suck too and the game will probably be 100% themepark with instancing at every turn. The rest of development is going to be spent on large boats, champagne and super models (and VO from washed up performers). We might as well give up now and just throw money into the dumpster.

Why is everyone so gloomy around here 24/7??? Cheer up a little.

We're gloomy because coming from the people who've made some of the best rpg's ever, expectations were high. For many people lack of multiplayer was the biggest flaw in Skyrim. Given that background...

This is from another article about ESO:

ZeniMax Online's Paul Sage says "it needs to be comfortable for people who are coming from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms

its combat centres around hotbars activating skills. Your attacks have cooldowns. In clear terms, that means no real-time combat. It is literally explained as using "World of Warcraft mechanics"

"keeping large areas inaccessible to save them for use as expansion content"

Only "some fraction" of the caves and other landmarks in the game are waiting completely unmarked and unexplored

You can't own a house because it's "too hard to implement in an MMO"

It even looks like just another fantasy MMO, losing much of the refined elegance of Bethesda's games in exchange for a simpler style that looks little like the past few games in the series.

• GreenWidowGreenWidow Member Posts: 157

Going to play a Ranger, going to take vacaction from life, going to continue until I get Knee Shot character ability. 

Then I shall sleep.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”The Iron Code"

• SKnight2001SKnight2001 Member Posts: 2

As long as I can crouch and no one can see me, I will be set.

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

finally.  Ive known they were making this for years, finally to start getting some information and confirmation that it is being made.  I for one cant wait.  the elder scrolls games should have always been mmos and hopefully they will stay true to the games.

• Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128

Heres to hoping all the carebears don't dumb it down, allow PKing and Griefing and make sure everyone knows the rulset before launch.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Originally posted by Evolution8

Heres to hoping all the carebears don't dumb it down, allow PKing and Griefing and make sure everyone knows the rulset before launch.

PK'ing of course, but why greifing? By definition you're trying to cause someone grief and ruin their game. Why would a game company want to allow that?

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Z3R01

Who's making the game? If its Todd Howard and company i will get excited but if its some stupid online division of Zenimax filled with old mmo developers then ill pass.

Last I checked Todd Howard had no interest in making a Elder Scrolls MMO. Either they twisted his arm or got his go ahead to make the game with a completely new studio with the game set in a time period that Todd would never use in his games.

Todd Howard has nothing to do with this besides giving them some "Lore Guidance" according to the info we have so far. It looks like Zenimax Online is developing this seperately and the core TES team at Bethesda Softworks has little to do with it. Todd did state in one of the Skyrim interviews that they are already in the very early pre development stage of the next single player TES game so there is hope that this won't effect the TES series at all and will be more of an "Ugly Stepbrother" of the series. Kinda like the mobile games and Redguard was between Daggerfall and Morrowind.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

uh look, another perfect mmo ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• NightkinNightkin Member UncommonPosts: 48

Originally posted by DarkPony

OMFG!

Already 9000 x better than GW2!!! ;-)

And Zenimax?!! <3

Really love that studio since FONV, possibly one of the best written games ever. Also one of the most immersive sprpg's I ever played.

edit: I meant Obsidian, Zenimax is the holding thingy. V_V.

I be bad at names.

Realy promising news.

Maan.. first the screens next the hype pls:)

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Homitu

O

To run with the Square example, it certainly seems that once they began developing MMOs as part of the primary Final Fantasy series, both the quality and quantity of the single player FF games suffered tremendously.  While we can't know exactly to what extent their MMO focus was to blame versus all other factors, something definitely changed, and the fear that the same could happen to any other series is plausible.  

I always felt the problems with FF's later entries was diverging from the core game-play they were known for, as well as the writing going stale. Not to mention horrible cohersion from game to game.

That's just it: it's just a feeling.  People have *felt* that the merger with Enix has had something to do with it too, but everything is just speculation.  It has probably had a little to do with all of these factors, which justifies concerns whenever any similar situations may arise with other game developers or popular game series. 

I'd say it's completely valid to feel afraid that the same might happen to the ES series.  That, of course, doesn't mean we should write it off immediately and cry that the sky is falling. 

All that said, it's comforting to know that it seems Bethesda will continue to work independently on the single player series. 

• Jester92Jester92 Member Posts: 156

If anything guys Elderscrolls online will be much similar to fable's online mode, a game where you can jump into other player's worlds and help them quest, I would totally be disappointed if it is anything more, as elderscrolls I've always thought should be kept as a single player experience as it is based primarily on the PLAYER's achievements and accomplishments in the world of tamriel.

J. B.

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

First mmo I really hate the idea of, all those things like housing, free form progression and real time combat fps being the solo hero, exploring and doing things the way you want, mods and thousands of hours of content by players.

This is going to be a daoc/wow reskin

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

You may not trust this,but we can predict some things considering the time they have ahead  untill the release...

1- Single server huge world

2- It will be sandbox

3- No class

4- Skill based

5- World pvp with anti-gank system

6- Quests will use a TSW like system

7- Some sort of new not seen contents (now just guessing)

It will be released in 7 min 10 years max from now,when every mmorpg that not atend that minimal requisits will be already dead or dieing,so if the devs want to have some succeed...

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

A WoW-ified Elder Scrolls is dead to me.

If it looks like it sucks, or isn't the same general formulae of the RPG then I won't throw money @ it. If they stop making the Single player RPG in an attempt to heard players into the mmo then I'll read more books and play monopoly.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Originally posted by Paradigm68

Obviously the graphics in the very first article about the game are never going to improve. I bet the events will suck too and the game will probably be 100% themepark with instancing at every turn. The rest of development is going to be spent on large boats, champagne and super models (and VO from washed up performers). We might as well give up now and just throw money into the dumpster.

We're gloomy because coming from the people who've made some of the best rpg's ever, expectations were high. For many people lack of multiplayer was the biggest flaw in Skyrim. Given that background...

ZeniMax Online's Paul Sage says "it needs to be comfortable for people who are coming from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms

its combat centres around hotbars activating skills. Your attacks have cooldowns. In clear terms, that means no real-time combat. It is literally explained as using "World of Warcraft mechanics"

Only "some fraction" of the caves and other landmarks in the game are waiting completely unmarked and unexplored

It even looks like just another fantasy MMO, losing much of the refined elegance of Bethesda's games in exchange for a simpler style that looks little like the past few games in the series.

Let it flop when it is released is all I can say. Look, we all know most MMORPGS are subpar. But dragging every MMO that gets announced through the dirt before it has even hit beta makes little sense. I agree the features sound less than impressive. And at the rate they are going it might not even hit the shelves. If they release with what he said, it will not be a huge success. But this place is just all negativity all the time and people need to cheer the hell up already!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by calranthe

First mmo I really hate the idea of, all those things like housing, free form progression and real time combat fps being the solo hero, exploring and doing things the way you want, mods and thousands of hours of content by players.

This is going to be a daoc/wow reskin

As they abandon every facet of TES design to make another copy of a themepark game, they clearly have no idea why people wanted an Elder Scrolls MMO in the first place.

In my opinion, Mortal Online is currently the closest thing to an Elder Scrolls MMO that there is right now.

When Elder Scrolls Online is released, Mortal Online will still be the closest thing to an Elder Scrolls MMO there is.

Zenimax isn't creating a TES game experience in an MMO form, they are creating a stock standard MMO with a TES skin.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Let this game burn....

Im not even surprise if it have cash shop ...

RIP Orc Choppa

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Paradigm68

Let it flop when it is released is all I can say. Look, we all know most MMORPGS are subpar. But dragging every MMO that gets announced through the dirt before it has even hit beta makes little sense. I agree the features sound less than impressive. And at the rate they are going it might not even hit the shelves. If they release with what he said, it will not be a huge success. But this place is just all negativity all the time and people need to cheer the hell up already!

People come to expect certain things from TES games. When a developer purposfully omits those things from the game, it shows a complete lack of understanding of their fanbase.

No player housing because it's too hard to implement.

No warewolves or vampires because it's too hard to balance them.

No Radiant AI because apparently it would be too frustrating for some players.

No real time combat because apparently "the reality of network latency" prevents them from implementing it. On a side note, how many FPS and real time combat MMOs have to be released before that stops being an excuse? Planetside had real time FPS combat in 2003!

Not to mention that if you read those magazine scans, it seems like a rip off of GW2 with a bit of stuff sprinkled from other games.

-Hubbless quest design. You explore the world and stuff happens AKA GW2's hearts quests and dynamic events (maybe).

-No holy trinity.

-Smaller hotbar with skills you can freely change outside of combat.

-Equiped weapon determines the first 2 abilities, you pick from a few class skills and the last is an elite... err I'm sorry, ultimate ability.

-Combo attacks with other classes. They literally used the same example as GW2 did with the mage setting a firewall and a warrior doing a "whirlwind" type attack and sending fireballs flying all over the place.

-Waypoint travel system.

-Endurance based dodge and block system.

-3 faction open world PvP in a separate zone with farms that create supply needed for forts and siege weapons. Though granted, 3 faction PvP is more of a DAoC thing.

-Emperor can be elected (TERA).

If I want to play GW2, I'll play GW2. When it comes to a TES game, I expect it to be a TES game.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Heinz130
    You may not trust this,but we can predict some things considering the time they have ahead  untill the release...1- Single server huge world2- It will be sandbox3- No class4- Skill based5- World pvp with anti-gank system6- Quests will use a TSW like system7- Some sort of new not seen contents (now just guessing)It will be released in 7 min 10 years max from now,when every mmorpg that not atend that minimal requisits will be already dead or dieing,so if the devs want to have some succeed...  

Dear lord, man. Educate thyself.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

Oh man this is exciting news, hope they don't screw it up!

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

"Making player housing the way fans expect is too hard to implement in an MMO, so Zenimax has no plans to let you accrue realestate."

So ZeniMax is saying they arent talented or skilled enough to do it?

SOE has done it TWICE. SWG (open world housing) and EQ2 (instanced housing)

Both worked very well.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by klash2def

dont start this negative guessing shit. you or nobody else have ANY idea what the game is like. wait for them to give more info.

Actually, we have some idea, just nothing conclusive.  However, when I look outside and see a dark, overcast sky, it doesn't need to be raining yet for me to know it would be wise to bring an umbrella.