Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the fans who don't approve of this MMO still play?

I for one am really looking forward to this, have been for years, but all the negative feedback is overwhelming, even though a large part of the ES fanbase disapproves of this game, will you still play it? I honestly think even though the fanbase is a bit in denial, they will still play it, therefore this game will be a success no matter what happens, anyone else agree?

Comments

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Why does it matter? It's 2 seperate games. People looking for a single player experience in an MMO always moan.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I'll play it if its good. But based on what Bethesda's has released about it, its gone from instant day-one purchase, to wait for free trial before I buy.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Based on the info we have. No I will not play it.

• Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128

Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

Why does it matter? It's 2 seperate games. People looking for a single player experience in an MMO always moan.

it matters to me cause the developers usually listen to the majority, and having a ton of carebears crying on the ESO boards about PvP restrictions is whats going to make or break it for me, my theory is if you don't like it don't play it, but it never works and players will dive in and give opinions, being the majority so far does not approve of this game, will that effect the quality of the game?

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Originally posted by Evolution8

it matters to me cause the developers usually listen to the majority, and having a ton of carebears crying on the ESO boards about PvP restrictions is whats going to make or break it for me, my theory is if you don't like it don't play it, but it never works and players will dive in and give opinions, being the majority so far does not approve of this game, will that effect the quality of the game?

'the majority'? How did you get those numbers? Oh it's just your opinion. No the developers don't listen to people whining before they've even seen the game.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Originally posted by Paradigm68

I'll play it if its good. But based on what Bethesda's has released about it, its gone from instant day-one purchase, to wait for free trial before I buy.

But is Bethesda helping develope this game? Zenimax Online has the lead, so what is Bethesda doing? Story/World development?

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128

Originally posted by Evolution8

'the majority'? How did you get those numbers? Oh it's just your opinion. No the developers don't listen to people whining before they've even seen the game.

I do a search for ESO and all the article start out with "The Elderscrolls Online and fan backlash" and reading MMORPG's forums it seems the majority of the more vocal fanbase disapprove...Im sure many peeps do approve but so far the negative nancys are winning from my seat of the pants dynometer

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Actually I never intended to play it even when they announced they would announce it. They can not make a Elder Scrolls MMO but are using the IP for Hype. It won't be anything like the RPG which has had so much success. They need to call it something else and still have it in the world Nim. Keep it to the lore but don't use Elder Scrolls as the online name.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Although it doesn't look that great to me I'll probably still buy it and play for a month, maybe 2.

Unless I get into beta and decide there that it's completely rubbish. I do that with almost every major mmo that's released, to check what's all out there on the market and what they made of it.

Some players buy single player games and play through them in  a week-end and then return to their mmo or buy the next game. I skip the single player games part mostly and just try most mmo's because even if they're not great they usually manage to entertain me for the "free' month therewith giving me more value for my money than a single player game that I typically only play through once if at all.

That's how I ended up playing SW:TOR, it was the most underwhelming major mmo on the gameshows of the past years so I knew I wouldn't play it for long time but still I enjoyed the storylines and some other aspects for a couple of months.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Originally posted by Wolvards

Originally posted by Paradigm68

But is Bethesda helping develope this game? Zenimax Online has the lead, so what is Bethesda doing? Story/World development?

Don't know, don't care. Based on what has been released, I will need a free trial before I buy.  If it's not what I want in an MMO, I'll just keep playing Skyrim.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

if it FEELS like a TES game i will play but if it feels like 99% of the mmo junk out there i will not. i dont really care about 'sandbox' features, but it better fucking feel like i'm playing TES just with lots of people arround.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

At this point, it sounds themeparky, and that gameplay style just doesn't cut it for me anymore. But I'll still give it a try, though. I don't generally write off things without at least giving it a try first. I am, however, pessimistic.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    It's tough to make an MMO of an established video game and not make it like the original. At least swtor was like kotor and it was the first title to use the Hero engine. The ESO screens have the same look as swtor even if the models are designed differently. Tab target? Class and faction lock? Swtor type graphics? No thanks.

Hopefully DAoC fans will have a solid updated title to play but I won't play an Elder Scrolls game without the Elder Scrolls.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Xzen

This..

I will not play it if rumors are true.

I see a bioware disaster comming.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by Classicstar

Originally posted by Xzen

This..

I will not play it if rumors are true.

I see a bioware disaster comming.

I agree. This is a huge step in the wrong direction, especially with games like TSW, Tera, and GW2 to compete with when TESO releases. What I've seen from the GameInformer article, it makes the game sound completely bland.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Heh, not a chance.  I love the Elder Scrolls, Daggerfall is one of my all time favorite games.  but I won't playa game, just for its lore, or the history of the IP.  It has to be a good game by its own rite, too.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

It has nothing to do with 'single player experience' it has to do with the fact that The Elder Scrolls was the only big franchise left to offer us a strong sandbox game in the MMO space, and that is effectively ruined. Even the 'deeper' game franchises have succumb to the Blizzard machine. LIterally even Blizz employees are probably rolling on the floor laughing if all of this information is true, I'm pretty sure even Bethesda fans within their company don't even want to see a game like this released.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I was never a huge Elder Scrolls fan so I haven't been waiting on this for years.  I play those games in between the ones I have been looking forward to.  So far, what I've heard only dissuades me further from it since they seem to be removing the few elements about the games that I found appealing, and leaving all the more generic stuff in place. 

Unless they deliver something that completely floors me, this is going to pass under my radar like so many other also-rans.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I will check this out, maybe even buy if it appears to be good theme park. But from what Ive seen, I'm not excited. We dont need "same old shit" again, and this game hardly resembles TES series. I mean levels and hotbars? What the heck!?

Im actually more excited about Lineage: Eternal and Ive never even played Lineage games. Because trailer was impressive and brought something new

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

Originally posted by mindw0rk

I mean levels and hotbars? What the heck!?

Every ES game I can remember has levels. It's how you GET those levels that varied, and wasn't really a class-based method. Sure you could pick one, but could raise any skills you wanted to raise your levels.

Free-from skill combinations, a-la UO, are the biggest disappointment for me.

But I've said it before, I'll say it again (And will probably start a thread about it), at worse, it's DAoC 2 in TES universe. I can live with that.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

After reading details about various gameplay elements which are floating around the net, I have no interest in it. The MMO will be missing key components that I like about the Elder Scrolls games and I am not interested in another fairly formulaic fantasy MMORPG.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Every single Elder Scrolls game that has come out has seen larger and larger sales.  Elder Scrolls series doesn't have a fan base.  The number of people who have played from Arena to Skyrim are under the 90,000 range.

This can be compared to say Modern Warfare which has had pretty stable sales with no increases or decreases.

This distinction is important because it tells you something important, people who play Modern Warfare are loyal to the modern warfare BRAND.  People who play Elder Scrolls games however are not loyal to Elder Scrolls, they are just buying a highly anticipated game.  There are some that carried over from each game but not really the massive amount that you see with Modern Warfare.

A lot of people who bought Skyrim will no doubt buy Elder Scrolls Online.  But not all of them.  What will be required to get all of the Elder Scrolls people (and the generic MMO buying community) will be a great game.  It doesn't have to be a revolutionary MMO it just has to be a really really great game.

Here's the kicker, if it's not a really really great game Bethesda will lose a very large audience.  I know Zenimax Studios Online is making this but it comes with consent and direction from Bethesda Softworks.  If this game really sucks it is going to seriously hurt the reputation of Bethesda.  On top oft hat Bethesda is known for having a very open world experience.  I don't want to say 'sandbox' because it's not but it more of a personalized adventure than anything else out there.

• TrollsightedTrollsighted Member Posts: 6

Yes, i will be playing it, but i am alarmed about trolls. They are getting more and more hungry. So i'm going to start saving for this game and a tranquilizer gun for the trolls. The are coming out of hiding, we need to return them to the woods. Back on topic time will tell if those hating the idea of a TES online will play the game. I for one will try it most likely.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

ill play it, ill play anything and pretty much have

Lol @ the dude below me..he is sooo right

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

People will pay $60 for this MMO just so they can sit in the starter areas saying they don't like it and how the game they currently play is so much better.