Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO, Screenshots (class based, traditional combat, no trinity, open world dungeons) It's a themepar

13»

Comments

  • dontadowdontadow Detroit, MIPosts: 992Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by DarkPony

    Was hoping for a more sandboxy experience as well. Content seems very much themed, orchestrated and predetermined. Fighting over the capital city with three factions and numerous of secondary objectives sounds fun but this whole "fighting over the throne" aspect is also themed, predetermined and bound to a dedicated area.

    When will developers frigging learn that so many people want to be able to shape their own goals and objectives in the part of the world which they fancy most and in the role they see fit?

    If I were a dictator, rulling this world, I would put all mmorpg developers in an alliance and force them to play EVE for at least a year. After that they can go back to developing games again. (CCPeople themselves and ArchAge devs are off the hook).

    Still willing to cut them some slack: we'll have to see how it ends up further down the line. But going for the safe route with this and make it YET ANOTHER reinvention of the same old themepark mold is a sure way to lose my interest really fast.

    Because what you ask is not realistic.  Eventually the first 10 percent of people who play will "shape everything" leaving the other 90% without a play experience.  It's why sandbox as a game style is a genre of games called strategy, and can't be realistically put in the RPG setting. So you can't take a real RPG like Elder Scroll and decide to make it a MMOStrategy or MMOSimulation game.  

    I get it , some people like Mongolian barbaque. I for one think its stupid to pay someone to allow me to cook my own food.  This is the problem with the sand box argument. I pay money for developers and writers and authors to make amazing content that can challenge people, not to fight 13 year old gankers and have the game tell me "it's innovavite".  Anyone can make this game. It's like telling someone to read a book and giving them a book with blank pages.  Then tell them to write their own story, it'll be amazing. Well, I can do that on my own, why did I pay for the book? 

    Eve is not an RPG, in no shape or form.  It's a great MMOstrategy game with RPG elements, but if there are no adventures or quests to go on, if there's no main story to drive the game, then its not an RPG.  

  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,775Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by dontadow

    Originally posted by DarkPony

    Was hoping for a more sandboxy experience as well. Content seems very much themed, orchestrated and predetermined. Fighting over the capital city with three factions and numerous of secondary objectives sounds fun but this whole "fighting over the throne" aspect is also themed, predetermined and bound to a dedicated area.

    When will developers frigging learn that so many people want to be able to shape their own goals and objectives in the part of the world which they fancy most and in the role they see fit?

    If I were a dictator, rulling this world, I would put all mmorpg developers in an alliance and force them to play EVE for at least a year. After that they can go back to developing games again. (CCPeople themselves and ArchAge devs are off the hook).

    Still willing to cut them some slack: we'll have to see how it ends up further down the line. But going for the safe route with this and make it YET ANOTHER reinvention of the same old themepark mold is a sure way to lose my interest really fast.

    Because what you ask is not realistic.  Eventually the first 10 percent of people who play will "shape everything" leaving the other 90% without a play experience.  It's why sandbox as a game style is a genre of games called strategy, and can't be realistically put in the RPG setting. So you can't take a real RPG like Elder Scroll and decide to make it a MMOStrategy or MMOSimulation game.  

    Eve is not an RPG, in no shape or form.  It's a great MMOstrategy game with RPG elements, but if there are no adventures or quests to go on, if there's no main story to drive the game, then its not an RPG.  



    lol really? Dear me, UO did fine and was indeed an RPG. It was also sandbox.

    So... actually I will stop there. There is already proof that you're simply wrong and there isn't much reason to continue with the explanation lol.

  • dontadowdontadow Detroit, MIPosts: 992Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

    Originally posted by dontadow


    Originally posted by DarkPony

    Was hoping for a more sandboxy experience as well. Content seems very much themed, orchestrated and predetermined. Fighting over the capital city with three factions and numerous of secondary objectives sounds fun but this whole "fighting over the throne" aspect is also themed, predetermined and bound to a dedicated area.

    When will developers frigging learn that so many people want to be able to shape their own goals and objectives in the part of the world which they fancy most and in the role they see fit?

    If I were a dictator, rulling this world, I would put all mmorpg developers in an alliance and force them to play EVE for at least a year. After that they can go back to developing games again. (CCPeople themselves and ArchAge devs are off the hook).

    Still willing to cut them some slack: we'll have to see how it ends up further down the line. But going for the safe route with this and make it YET ANOTHER reinvention of the same old themepark mold is a sure way to lose my interest really fast.

    Because what you ask is not realistic.  Eventually the first 10 percent of people who play will "shape everything" leaving the other 90% without a play experience.  It's why sandbox as a game style is a genre of games called strategy, and can't be realistically put in the RPG setting. So you can't take a real RPG like Elder Scroll and decide to make it a MMOStrategy or MMOSimulation game.  

    Eve is not an RPG, in no shape or form.  It's a great MMOstrategy game with RPG elements, but if there are no adventures or quests to go on, if there's no main story to drive the game, then its not an RPG.  



    lol really? Dear me, UO did fine and was indeed an RPG. It was also sandbox.

    So... actually I will stop there. There is already proof that you're simply wrong and there isn't much reason to continue with the explanation lol.

    LOL, wow, so your proof is a 15 year old game on life support. By all means, explain yoru argument, because the only 2 sandbox games that have gained an inkling of a player base are UO (cause there was nothing else at the time) and Eve (because they didn't BS anyone by pretending it was an RPG) 

    UO was a choatic mess that did nothing to move the genre and didn't even atttract a majority of the gamers who loved the ultimate series.  IT was new, that was all it had going for it.  why do you think the market didn't blow up until the everquest and wow. As a matter of fact, ask any other gamer what hte first mmo was, and they'll probably refer to one of these two games. 

    It's an RPG, no one plays a rpg to go in and work for 8 hours to build a house or work for 10 hours and build a sawmill or spend their money to pay for guards to protect their house.  There's nothing fun to it, nothing rpg about, nothing adventerious about it

    Now, if you tell me there's some system like dark cloud 2 (and what guild wars 2 is talking of implenting in an expansion) where as i adventure i can find special buildings to populate my guidl fortress, that  sounds like fun) but the simulation stuff is for simulation games. 

    Hey, I love playing simearth, simcity civilivation, but they have their own genre of games.  They don't belong in RPGs.  Show me an RPG that has that in it? 

    So like so many, you disparge people and call them "casual" gamers cause no one wants to spend 8 hours a day building houses in a game. or spend half the night camping out a site waiting for a respawn so you can get that brick for your cornerstone. Give me a break.  

  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,775Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by dontadow

    Originally posted by GrayGhost79


    Originally posted by dontadow


    Originally posted by DarkPony

    Was hoping for a more sandboxy experience as well. Content seems very much themed, orchestrated and predetermined. Fighting over the capital city with three factions and numerous of secondary objectives sounds fun but this whole "fighting over the throne" aspect is also themed, predetermined and bound to a dedicated area.

    When will developers frigging learn that so many people want to be able to shape their own goals and objectives in the part of the world which they fancy most and in the role they see fit?

    If I were a dictator, rulling this world, I would put all mmorpg developers in an alliance and force them to play EVE for at least a year. After that they can go back to developing games again. (CCPeople themselves and ArchAge devs are off the hook).

    Still willing to cut them some slack: we'll have to see how it ends up further down the line. But going for the safe route with this and make it YET ANOTHER reinvention of the same old themepark mold is a sure way to lose my interest really fast.

    Because what you ask is not realistic.  Eventually the first 10 percent of people who play will "shape everything" leaving the other 90% without a play experience.  It's why sandbox as a game style is a genre of games called strategy, and can't be realistically put in the RPG setting. So you can't take a real RPG like Elder Scroll and decide to make it a MMOStrategy or MMOSimulation game.  

    Eve is not an RPG, in no shape or form.  It's a great MMOstrategy game with RPG elements, but if there are no adventures or quests to go on, if there's no main story to drive the game, then its not an RPG.  



    lol really? Dear me, UO did fine and was indeed an RPG. It was also sandbox.

    So... actually I will stop there. There is already proof that you're simply wrong and there isn't much reason to continue with the explanation lol.

    LOL, wow, so your proof is a 15 year old game on life support. By all means, explain yoru argument, because the only 2 sandbox games that have gained an inkling of a player base are UO (cause there was nothing else at the time) and Eve (because they didn't BS anyone by pretending it was an RPG) 

    UO was a choatic mess that did nothing to move the genre and didn't even atttract a majority of the gamers who loved the ultimate series.  IT was new, that was all it had going for it.  why do you think the market didn't blow up until the everquest and wow. As a matter of fact, ask any other gamer what hte first mmo was, and they'll probably refer to one of these two games. 

     

    Sorry man, my burden of proof has been fulfilled. You made some claim that a sandbox can't be an RPG and done into an MMO. My jobs done on this. Good luck though :)

  • dontadowdontadow Detroit, MIPosts: 992Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

    Originally posted by dontadow


    Originally posted by GrayGhost79


    Originally posted by dontadow


    Originally posted by DarkPony

    Was hoping for a more sandboxy experience as well. Content seems very much themed, orchestrated and predetermined. Fighting over the capital city with three factions and numerous of secondary objectives sounds fun but this whole "fighting over the throne" aspect is also themed, predetermined and bound to a dedicated area.

    When will developers frigging learn that so many people want to be able to shape their own goals and objectives in the part of the world which they fancy most and in the role they see fit?

    If I were a dictator, rulling this world, I would put all mmorpg developers in an alliance and force them to play EVE for at least a year. After that they can go back to developing games again. (CCPeople themselves and ArchAge devs are off the hook).

    Still willing to cut them some slack: we'll have to see how it ends up further down the line. But going for the safe route with this and make it YET ANOTHER reinvention of the same old themepark mold is a sure way to lose my interest really fast.

    Because what you ask is not realistic.  Eventually the first 10 percent of people who play will "shape everything" leaving the other 90% without a play experience.  It's why sandbox as a game style is a genre of games called strategy, and can't be realistically put in the RPG setting. So you can't take a real RPG like Elder Scroll and decide to make it a MMOStrategy or MMOSimulation game.  

    Eve is not an RPG, in no shape or form.  It's a great MMOstrategy game with RPG elements, but if there are no adventures or quests to go on, if there's no main story to drive the game, then its not an RPG.  



    lol really? Dear me, UO did fine and was indeed an RPG. It was also sandbox.

    So... actually I will stop there. There is already proof that you're simply wrong and there isn't much reason to continue with the explanation lol.

    LOL, wow, so your proof is a 15 year old game on life support. By all means, explain yoru argument, because the only 2 sandbox games that have gained an inkling of a player base are UO (cause there was nothing else at the time) and Eve (because they didn't BS anyone by pretending it was an RPG) 

    UO was a choatic mess that did nothing to move the genre and didn't even atttract a majority of the gamers who loved the ultimate series.  IT was new, that was all it had going for it.  why do you think the market didn't blow up until the everquest and wow. As a matter of fact, ask any other gamer what hte first mmo was, and they'll probably refer to one of these two games. 

     

    Sorry man, my burden of proof has been fulfilled. You made some claim that a sandbox can't be an RPG and done into an MMO. My jobs done on this. Good luck though :)

    LOL, So you have no argument.  Later.  MMOsimulations (lets stop calling them rpgs) is a niche, a very small niche. And, hey, i'm all for niches, but there just isn't enough room for more than one "show me yours" game in the MMO field of games.  

  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,775Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by dontadow

    Originally posted by GrayGhost79


    Originally posted by dontadow


    Originally posted by GrayGhost79


    Originally posted by dontadow


    Originally posted by DarkPony

    Was hoping for a more sandboxy experience as well. Content seems very much themed, orchestrated and predetermined. Fighting over the capital city with three factions and numerous of secondary objectives sounds fun but this whole "fighting over the throne" aspect is also themed, predetermined and bound to a dedicated area.

    When will developers frigging learn that so many people want to be able to shape their own goals and objectives in the part of the world which they fancy most and in the role they see fit?

    If I were a dictator, rulling this world, I would put all mmorpg developers in an alliance and force them to play EVE for at least a year. After that they can go back to developing games again. (CCPeople themselves and ArchAge devs are off the hook).

    Still willing to cut them some slack: we'll have to see how it ends up further down the line. But going for the safe route with this and make it YET ANOTHER reinvention of the same old themepark mold is a sure way to lose my interest really fast.

    Because what you ask is not realistic.  Eventually the first 10 percent of people who play will "shape everything" leaving the other 90% without a play experience.  It's why sandbox as a game style is a genre of games called strategy, and can't be realistically put in the RPG setting. So you can't take a real RPG like Elder Scroll and decide to make it a MMOStrategy or MMOSimulation game.  

    Eve is not an RPG, in no shape or form.  It's a great MMOstrategy game with RPG elements, but if there are no adventures or quests to go on, if there's no main story to drive the game, then its not an RPG.  



    lol really? Dear me, UO did fine and was indeed an RPG. It was also sandbox.

    So... actually I will stop there. There is already proof that you're simply wrong and there isn't much reason to continue with the explanation lol.

    LOL, wow, so your proof is a 15 year old game on life support. By all means, explain yoru argument, because the only 2 sandbox games that have gained an inkling of a player base are UO (cause there was nothing else at the time) and Eve (because they didn't BS anyone by pretending it was an RPG) 

    UO was a choatic mess that did nothing to move the genre and didn't even atttract a majority of the gamers who loved the ultimate series.  IT was new, that was all it had going for it.  why do you think the market didn't blow up until the everquest and wow. As a matter of fact, ask any other gamer what hte first mmo was, and they'll probably refer to one of these two games. 

     

    Sorry man, my burden of proof has been fulfilled. You made some claim that a sandbox can't be an RPG and done into an MMO. My jobs done on this. Good luck though :)

    LOL, So you have no argument.  Later.  

    No need to my point was made and proven the fact that you simply don't like it doesn't change anything lol. But yeah, later man :)

  • CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,505Member Uncommon

    What a gigantic waste of a good IP..

    Why do companies keep giving us the same old crap with slightly different twists on things?

     

    Oh wait i know because millinos of people keep buying them.. just look at the last few major MMORPGs...all basically the same with a few additions and twists on things.. if you guys keep buying these by the millions then companies keep making them.

  • busdriverbusdriver nyPosts: 859Member

    Originally posted by dontadow

    LOL, wow, so your proof is a 15 year old game on life support. By all means, explain yoru argument, because the only 2 sandbox games that have gained an inkling of a player base are UO (cause there was nothing else at the time) and Eve (because they didn't BS anyone by pretending it was an RPG) 

    UO was a choatic mess that did nothing to move the genre and didn't even atttract a majority of the gamers who loved the ultimate series.  IT was new, that was all it had going for it.  why do you think the market didn't blow up until the everquest and wow. As a matter of fact, ask any other gamer what hte first mmo was, and they'll probably refer to one of these two games. 

    It's an RPG, no one plays a rpg to go in and work for 8 hours to build a house or work for 10 hours and build a sawmill or spend their money to pay for guards to protect their house.  There's nothing fun to it, nothing rpg about, nothing adventerious about it

    Now, if you tell me there's some system like dark cloud 2 (and what guild wars 2 is talking of implenting in an expansion) where as i adventure i can find special buildings to populate my guidl fortress, that  sounds like fun) but the simulation stuff is for simulation games. 

    Hey, I love playing simearth, simcity civilivation, but they have their own genre of games.  They don't belong in RPGs.  Show me an RPG that has that in it? 

    So like so many, you disparge people and call them "casual" gamers cause no one wants to spend 8 hours a day building houses in a game. or spend half the night camping out a site waiting for a respawn so you can get that brick for your cornerstone. Give me a break.  

    You're a moron. Get out of my internet.

     

    Always knew that TES wouldn't work well in MMO environment (well, it would, but it would require a gaming company that isn't just a money grabbing whore), but I never would have believed they would fuck it up this big. TESO seems basically the opposite of TES games.

     

  • RavenRaven LondonPosts: 1,963Member Uncommon

    After reading all the info around the web I am thoroughly disappointed with the announcement, the only thing I was going to accept was an upgrade from Skyrim ( i.e. Skyrim mechanics upgraded to online with whatever limitations they needed to get it out of the door but it had to be this at core ). It just seems they are using the IP to make a theme park run of the mill game, that is just not the spirit of TES. :(

    Ohh well I just hope some of the info are just old rumours and that they have reconsidered, this is not coming out for at least another 1.5years so wont worry about it for now, but not really hyped about it.

    image

  • Chrome1980Chrome1980 LondonPosts: 511Member

    I am surprised people were expectin it to be a sandbox. it is on next level of themepark like GW2. themepark is where money is, so nope you are not getting a big budget sandbox...not any time in future anyways.

  • RavenRaven LondonPosts: 1,963Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Chrome1980

    I am surprised people were expectin it to be a sandbox. it is on next level of themepark like GW2. themepark is where money is, so nope you are not getting a big budget sandbox...not any time in future anyways.

    Wasnt expecting sandbox at all, but expected first person and with the freedom of the elder scrolls games, most of the stuff you can do has been dumbed down, Skyrim is not really much of a sandbox, in the traditional sense that you dont get lots of tools to shape the world, it just gives you lots of mechanics and lots of different content you can consume at your own will.

    Pick up a weapon and just learn to use it sort of thing, it just seems like its gonna be not good enough for me. I will wait and see.

    image

  • solarinesolarine IstanbulPosts: 1,203Member

    I guess what people were expecting was not a sandbox as this newfangled "if we can't build, we won't call it a sandbox" front means it, but an open world game where you can at least decide where to go, what to do and which way to progress with a good deal of freedom. Simply think of it as *not being handheld throughout the content and progression*. (And who knows, maybe it will still turn out noticably more so than is the norm these days)

    Of course, it's always nice to have hope, so maybe people did expect, I don't know, housing and even first person view as well. First person would be somewhat interesting, I haven't played a game like that since early EQ.

    Anyway, all this on top of the Hero Engine... well, I'm not really holding my breath; more of a wait-and-see here. We'll see what kind of game they're going for more clearly in E3 or something.

     

  • tropiktropik MikkeliPosts: 98Member

    Because what you ask is not realistic.  Eventually the first 10 percent of people who play will "shape everything" leaving the other 90% without a play experience.  It's why sandbox as a game style is a genre of games called strategy, and can't be realistically put in the RPG setting. So you can't take a real RPG like Elder Scroll and decide to make it a MMOStrategy or MMOSimulation game.  

    I get it , some people like Mongolian barbaque. I for one think its stupid to pay someone to allow me to cook my own food.  This is the problem with the sand box argument. I pay money for developers and writers and authors to make amazing content that can challenge people, not to fight 13 year old gankers and have the game tell me "it's innovavite".  Anyone can make this game. It's like telling someone to read a book and giving them a book with blank pages.  Then tell them to write their own story, it'll be amazing. Well, I can do that on my own, why did I pay for the book? 

    Eve is not an RPG, in no shape or form.  It's a great MMOstrategy game with RPG elements, but if there are no adventures or quests to go on, if there's no main story to drive the game, then its not an RPG.  

    By your logic Dungeons and Dragons isn't roleplaying because you don't have a main story. There's plenty of lore and roleplaying in EvE online. Only difference is that the players make the stories by themselves with the tools and back story they are given.

    EDIT: Accidently a word :)

  • dubyahitedubyahite Lincoln, NEPosts: 2,483Member
    New argument!

    Let's assume elder scrolls is some kind of thempark sandbox hybrid.


    A lot of people use the word sandpark to describe hybrids. I'm going to start using the phrase themebox. Or maybe parkbox. Themesand?


    Eh, definitely themebox.

    Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

    The Secret World - Dragons

    Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

    Tera - Dragonfall Server

    http://www.shadowshand.com

  • solarinesolarine IstanbulPosts: 1,203Member

    Originally posted by dubyahite

    New argument!



    Let's assume elder scrolls is some kind of thempark sandbox hybrid.





    A lot of people use the word sandpark to describe hybrids. I'm going to start using the phrase themebox. Or maybe parkbox. Themesand?





    Eh, definitely themebox.

     

    Haha, though "themebox" actually sounds even more restrictive than "themepark"!

    In theme park at least you have a whole park, whereas a box is just claustrophobic! image

    By the way, I don't think the screenshots look that bad. Nowadays people naturally expect Skyrim when you say TES, but I don't find the artwork too far from Morrowind, which I did like alot. 

    Here's hoping they can get good performance from the engine.

  • NelothNeloth None of your businessPosts: 249Member

    Oh man this is bad, my hype just went to 10 from 9000. Hotbar combat, third person only, no housing (or "real estate" from the article), Rift graphics, a crap might just as well give up.

  • LarsaLarsa NurembergPosts: 990Member

    Originally posted by dubyahite

    New argument!



    Let's assume elder scrolls is some kind of thempark sandbox hybrid.





    A lot of people use the word sandpark to describe hybrids. I'm going to start using the phrase themebox. Or maybe parkbox. Themesand?





    Eh, definitely themebox.

    I'd be happy if it turns out like a hybrid, let's say like Vanguard.

    Sadly, from what I've read in the leaked article, chances for this to happen are tiny. Too much mention of structured PvP, instances, raids, battle arenas and awesome but limited skills. It all sounds like a very guided experience, a ride in a themepark. Couple that with no player-made structures and there's little room left for an hybrid.

    I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

  • dontadowdontadow Detroit, MIPosts: 992Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Harakiri

    Because what you ask is not realistic.  Eventually the first 10 percent of people who play will "shape everything" leaving the other 90% without a play experience.  It's why sandbox as a game style is a genre of games called strategy, and can't be realistically put in the RPG setting. So you can't take a real RPG like Elder Scroll and decide to make it a MMOStrategy or MMOSimulation game.  

    I get it , some people like Mongolian barbaque. I for one think its stupid to pay someone to allow me to cook my own food.  This is the problem with the sand box argument. I pay money for developers and writers and authors to make amazing content that can challenge people, not to fight 13 year old gankers and have the game tell me "it's innovavite".  Anyone can make this game. It's like telling someone to read a book and giving them a book with blank pages.  Then tell them to write their own story, it'll be amazing. Well, I can do that on my own, why did I pay for the book? 

    Eve is not an RPG, in no shape or form.  It's a great MMOstrategy game with RPG elements, but if there are no adventures or quests to go on, if there's no main story to drive the game, then its not an RPG.  

    By your Dungeons and Dragons isn't roleplaying because you don't have a main story. There's plenty of lore and roleplaying in EvE online. Only difference is that the players make the stories by themselves with the tools and back story they are given.

    So you've never played DnD before? 

    Every campaign , session i've ever been in or run has a story or a quest to go on.  Some of these games are very open, there are various places players can go and the DM makes up the story as he goes. Most games have the DM do prepared material .

    No one sits at the table as the DM throws out monster after monster. Nor do I allow a friend's group to come over to randomly attack said players and steal their equipment.  

    DnD is the blueprint of the RPG.  Heck, the blueprint of the massive multiplayer RPG.  

  • dontadowdontadow Detroit, MIPosts: 992Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by solarine

    Originally posted by dubyahite

    New argument!



    Let's assume elder scrolls is some kind of thempark sandbox hybrid.





    A lot of people use the word sandpark to describe hybrids. I'm going to start using the phrase themebox. Or maybe parkbox. Themesand?





    Eh, definitely themebox.

     

    Haha, though "themebox" actually sounds even more restrictive than "themepark"!

    In theme park at least you have a whole park, whereas a box is just claustrophobic! image

    By the way, I don't think the screenshots look that bad. Nowadays people naturally expect Skyrim when you say TES, but I don't find the artwork too far from Morrowind, which I did like alot. 

    Here's hoping they can get good performance from the engine.

    I won't degrate RPGs for a few folk who can't figure out that the game they want to play is in another genre. I will say that I would love to see more simulation mechanics in RPGs. Again, best game i've ever played, dark cloud 2, and the city building element metagame.  Love the idea of a guild building an instanced community that priately benefits them.  

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,759Member Rare

    Originally posted by dontadow

    Originally posted by Harakiri


    Because what you ask is not realistic.  Eventually the first 10 percent of people who play will "shape everything" leaving the other 90% without a play experience.  It's why sandbox as a game style is a genre of games called strategy, and can't be realistically put in the RPG setting. So you can't take a real RPG like Elder Scroll and decide to make it a MMOStrategy or MMOSimulation game.  

    I get it , some people like Mongolian barbaque. I for one think its stupid to pay someone to allow me to cook my own food.  This is the problem with the sand box argument. I pay money for developers and writers and authors to make amazing content that can challenge people, not to fight 13 year old gankers and have the game tell me "it's innovavite".  Anyone can make this game. It's like telling someone to read a book and giving them a book with blank pages.  Then tell them to write their own story, it'll be amazing. Well, I can do that on my own, why did I pay for the book? 

    Eve is not an RPG, in no shape or form.  It's a great MMOstrategy game with RPG elements, but if there are no adventures or quests to go on, if there's no main story to drive the game, then its not an RPG.  

    By your Dungeons and Dragons isn't roleplaying because you don't have a main story. There's plenty of lore and roleplaying in EvE online. Only difference is that the players make the stories by themselves with the tools and back story they are given.

    So you've never played DnD before? 

    Every campaign , session i've ever been in or run has a story or a quest to go on.  Some of these games are very open, there are various places players can go and the DM makes up the story as he goes. Most games have the DM do prepared material .

    No one sits at the table as the DM throws out monster after monster. Nor do I allow a friend's group to come over to randomly attack said players and steal their equipment.  

    DnD is the blueprint of the RPG.  Heck, the blueprint of the massive multiplayer RPG.  

    D&D is a sand box in it's purest form. This is the holy grial of online gaming. And I'm not talking about DDO...

  • ColdrenColdren Nowhereville, TNPosts: 457Member Uncommon

    So, to summarize what I have seen:


    • It's DAoC in Elder Scrolls - RvR, 3 faction, with control points and objectives

    • It'll have open dungeons, instanced dungeons and raids.

    • It'll have open PvP and instanced PvP (3-FACTION instanced...).

    • It'll have a traditional Third-Person hotbar combat interface, with some twists.

    • It'll have some dynamic events.

    • It'll have guilds to join and gain reputation with.

    • It'll have classes (Ok, this one I'm not too hot over, but for PvP balance I can understand).

    • More dynamic AI that isn't mindlessly getting slaughtered.

    • TES lore-compatiable and monitored by Todd Howard and the single player Loremasters

    ... Am I the only one that has absolutely no problem with this?

    Between what's out there now, and this... I'll take this.

  • ThaneThane berlinPosts: 2,486Member Uncommon

    traditional combat?

    yaaawn, had that for what now? 7 years with wow?

     

    can't they come up with sth new? what should we need another lame themepark tab and kill mmo for, wont help if you print elder scrolls on it a million times, what is outdated is just outdated.

    "I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

  • TerranahTerranah Stockton, CAPosts: 3,605Member

    Here we go again.  We can't even have a decent discussion because we can't define our terms.  Sandbox means different things to different people.

     

    I love though how developers say things that have been done before can't be done anymore.  Maybe it can't, but it's perhaps more related to lack of vision and talent than any technical limitations.

     

    To me, the appeal of something like a Skyrim is it creates a kind of virtual world setting.  What TESO seems to offer is more of a game world similar to SWTOR from the sounds of it.  I guess we'll have to wait and see, but as I said earlier I'm not getting my hopes up.  There's just too many great games outside of the mmo genre to catch up on and explore.  When the genre becomes compelling again, I'll be there to pick it up once more.  Until then, I'm spending way to much money on videogames :)

  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Somewhere Out There, PAPosts: 2,333Member Uncommon

    If it's true, that's supremely unfortunate. I had hoped they would go the Arche Age/WoD route. In all the Elder Scrolls games you weren't stuck into class-based archetypes, why would they do that for an MMO? That and the phasing/instancing are completely contradictory to Elder Scrolls. 

    But...BUT...that only suggests a portion of the game. There might still be sandboxy features, or something else unique to the game that could be interesting. It's also 1-2ish years away so, things can change.

    Elder Scrolls themepark...that would be so sad.

    "Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

  • wrekognizewrekognize salt lake city, UTPosts: 385Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Larsa

    Full voice acting, no player housing ... where have I read that before?

     

    sigh...exactly.

13»
Sign In or Register to comment.