Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not a Sandbox game? No FPS style combat? No FFA PvP setting?

Comments

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by winter

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by Bainwalker

Title says it all.  For them not to make TES: Online into what it rightfully should be is a joke beyond the ages.

Anyone agree?

No housing, no player vampires, no player werewolves, no freedom to join the faction you want as the race you want, there's many TES mechanics that seem to be missing.

PROOF  or STFU

Really the games not gonna be out for what 3+ more years and already your pulling facts out of thin air.

Your kidding right?

Unless you think this is all a hoax, then here you go.

http://xbigygames.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-screenshots-and-details/

And as far as release date they are talking about a 2013 release date. So....

thanks Grey for finally posting your information. It only took what 3-4 diferent players asking how many times? As the actual no housing no vampire bit was somewhat hidden in a small little hyperlink at the end maybe you can see how some of us might have missed it. I still don't see the relase date in thate article but may have missed it. While seriously i could care less about housing or being a vampire in TES:online (really both were done poorly enough in skyrim IMO that they won't be missed) I do find it hard to belive the game will be out next year. So Grey want to make a bet it won't be out in 2013? If it is then I'd say we have more to worry about then just lack of player housing and weither or not you can be a vampire.

Some factions do not allow some races' which if anything makes more sense to me and fleshes out the factions more realistically to me. You want to be a chaotic-evil orc assassin perhaps you shouldn't expect the law-good knights of light to let you join? :P

Same article:

http://xbigygames.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/6tDiS.jpg

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Title says it all.  For them not to make TES: Online into what it rightfully should be is a joke beyond the ages.

Anyone agree?

No housing, no player vampires, no player werewolves, no freedom to join the faction you want as the race you want, there's many TES mechanics that seem to be missing.

PROOF  or STFU

Really the games not gonna be out for what 3+ more years and already your pulling facts out of thin air.

Your kidding right?

Unless you think this is all a hoax, then here you go.

http://xbigygames.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-screenshots-and-details/

And as far as release date they are talking about a 2013 release date. So....

thanks Grey for finally posting your information. It only took what 43-4 diferent players asking how many times. As the actual no housing no vampire bit was somewhat hidden in a small little hyperlink at the end maybe you can see how some of us might have missed it. I still don't see the relase date in thate article but may have missed it. While seriously i could care less about housing or being a vampire in TES:online (really both were done poorly enough in skyrim IMO that they won't be missed) I do find it hard to belive the game will be out next year. So Grey want to make a bet it won't be out in 2013? If it is then I'd say we have more to worry about then just lack of player housing and weither or not you can be a vampire.

Some factions do not allow some races' which if anything makes more sense to me and fleshes out the factions more realistically to me. You want to be a chaotic-evil orc assassin perhaps you shouldn't expect the law-good knights of light to let you join? :P

Firstly it's Gray, secondly I wasn't overly enthusiastic about taking the time to post the links and such  for you especially considering its flying around all over the forums and extremely easy for you to find and I've posted them multiple times already. 

And again...

The Elder Scrolls Online is scheduled to come out in 2013 for both PC and Macintosh.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/03/june-cover-revealed-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx

Regardless if it happens or not that is what they are shooting for and yes that is a concern. But the games been in development since around 2007/2008 so thats about 5 years if they hit the 2013 launch. Some of us have been keeping tabs on Zenimax Online for awhile in hopes that this MMO would turn out to be Fallout Online. 

And as far as the part about houses and vampires being hidden....... it's sitting right there in the post you quoted. But hey.... you're welcome.

• -Ellessar--Ellessar- Member UncommonPosts: 98

What a disappointment.  The Elder Scrolls had the potential to be an amazing MMO.  Instead it looks like it's going to be another in a long line of mediocre MMOs, another Swtor.  A game that huge potential, but instead is nothing more than an extremely average MMO.  How sad.  

Bethesda is cutting out many of the features that make the series what it is.  No free form character progression, no twitch based combat, no player housing, no infected player vampires and werewolves.  Why? 

Where has the innovation in MMOs gone?  Why is it that no mainstream developer dares to break from the WoW mold?  How about we have some ideas that Blizzard hasn't already had.  

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Anyone agree?

Yeah because FFA pvp Sandbox is where the real money is. DF, MO etc are such run away success.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Why expect FFA PPV in an Elder Scrolls game when this is the first multiplayer iteration of the series?

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Why expect FFA PPV in an Elder Scrolls game when this is the first multiplayer iteration of the series?

Unrealistic expectations..you see these 'why it is not FFA peevpee...' posts everytime a new MMO is announced. Been hearing this for 10 years now.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by aslan132

Ive just read the entire cover story article, and i must say that im quite excited. The 20-page article lays out quite a bit of the direction they are focusing on. The game is going heavily in the direction GW2 went, instead of trying to follow after the decade old model of WoW that games like Rift were built on. Removing things like quest hubs and direction-driven story, the player is going to be given alot more freedom of what events they partake in and when (still limited by level of course). 

Everything from the event driven, and exploration rewarding PVE gameplay to the 3 faction, siege warfare of V8, TESO is taking alot of what makes GW2 stand out from WoW-clones and putting thier own spin on it. Adding things like a political system into the WvWvW to capture the Imperial Throne and crown the highest contributing player "Emporer". And making use of smaller hotbars to increase the effectiveness of those skills and making your choice in what skills you use more meaningful.

I also love the fact they have chosen to include both instanced dungeons and open world, noninstanced dungeons to add variety. And everything from small group heroic content to larger, multi-group raid content (the one thing i think GW2 is missing and hope they add in future expansions).

TESO has the potential to be everything GW2 is now and then some. Theres no doubt they could make the best MMO to date whenever they get it finished. In the meantime, enjoy GW2, and learn the ins and outs of what make it different from every other MMO in the last decade, because it looks like we will see more taking on that direction. I cant wait!

Problem is that's not elder scroll, none of it.  It's IP rape.  We're going to make this new mmo and slap the elder scroll name on it, then have the lead guy from the last guy come in every month and check on it just to add a few paragraphs of lore.  

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I kept saying it before the official announcement, this will not be TES as we know and love it,  more likely is a DAOC clone with TES skin and lore.

What has always made an elder scrolls game is you are the hero, you do not have to group up to win the war, you can spend 100 hours filling your house of junk, collecting embalming tools, putting baskets on peoples heads, completing the story any way YOU desire, killing, destroying, creating free form character progression, hell it was always possible to speed run the tes games as a level 1 if you never slept for a laugh, dungeons and loot, first person and 3rd real combat, and maybe no need for pvp.

Your story, be a vampire, a werewolf, loot and strip entire areas the point was it was your story.

Then you add the creativity of all the thousands of mods out there, last year I believe someone calculated that if you put together only 5% of the mods available for oblivion you would have a game with content and over 5000 hours of gameplay.

Once you introduce pvp and class/race balance nerfs and whiners it will be destroyed anyway.

This is one of the first mmo's which I will not even want to go into beta.

Now like with SWTOR IF you made a 4 player co-op TES where you could go into each others world, where you could quest together and visit each others homes and stories, mods etc THAT would be amazing.

• JeulJeul Member Posts: 5

Thank you to all of you that posted the links to the answers I was looking for - I caught the images before anything was taken down. 

I am a little bit concerned about there being no housing ( makes no sense in today's MMO landscape ) , but the lack of vampires and werewolves, I can understand.  Although I would love to see them come in at a later time, perhaps, it just seems that they might be a bit too overpowered for a game that has pvp in it at all.  It would pretty much require that anyone that wishes to pvp seriously to have these conditions.

I do think, however, that many people are jumping the gun.  Do I look upon these documents with great trepidation?  Absolutely.  I think that instead of blowing things out of proportion, though, we should all take a collective step back and wait for more information before we judge.

In the meantime, we have a great selection of other games in which to play!

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Anyone agree?

I disagree OP. FFA PVP? Go play Darkfall and come back and tell us all how Elder scrolls should be like that. No everyone feels a gankfeast is fun, as can be seen from DF's 4-5k subscribers.

Buddy I have played DF and loved it.  DF is flawed... however the concepts behind DF had netted the developers a HUGE following of people before they launched missing many of the features people were expecting.  

Just because DF is flawed doesn't mean TES would be as a FFA PvP game.

Full Sail University - Game Design

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Anyone agree?

Yeah because FFA pvp Sandbox is where the real money is. DF, MO etc are such run away success.

Again just because indie companies with small budgets fail doesn't mean Zenimax would.  Why should creating something different be stopped because of some failures?  You people have no idea how popular the ideas behind DF / MO were before launch and the only reasons said games have failed is because the developers failed to bring what they had promised to the table.  

Sandbox FFA PvP can work.  That correct balance can be found.  Such a shame TES won't be the MMO it could have been and should be by all rights.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Anyone agree?

I am aware however I believe the term "Sandbox" covers most of everything.  This is truly a very sad day and I hope whoever thought to destroy what makes TES such a great series gets fired.  

Don't cater to the masses!  Be bold!  Do something different!

lol says the guy not gambling the millions to develop this game

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I don't believe they can or make a MMO anything like Elder Scrolls. They are just using the IP for hype.

As far as FFA PvP goes it isn't needed in any game since it doesn't add anything to PvP and only benefits zergs and I PvP every game since EQ have yet to see a FFA PvP that was all that good.

Not being sandbox doesn't make sense but than again they are just using the IP for hype. I think this MMO with do for me to Elder Scrolls what any Star Wars game did for the Star Wars franchise, ruin it!

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Since when not being able to build a house/town removes the game from the sandbox list? You guys are unbelievable lol.

Just like rpgs there are several games which while being rpg have other features to make them different from the rest of the similar games. A sandbox is meree a game type and in no way specifies it NEEDS buildings to be entitled as such.

TES was always famous for being the only game trying the hybrid approach (Having a story aka teampark while still able to do anything you want how you want aka sandbox) and succeeding.

But this has nothing to do with this games since it's not bethseda that's working on it.

Originally posted by apocoluster

Anyone agree?

I am aware however I believe the term "Sandbox" covers most of everything.  This is truly a very sad day and I hope whoever thought to destroy what makes TES such a great series gets fired.  

WoW was a gamble when they first made the game.  So was UO and Everquest.

It's better to take a risk and be innovative than re-use ideas that have been done before countless times.

right now the only type of MMO type that is missing a AAA product is Sandbox FFA PvP with FPS style combat (EVE is not FPS)

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Anyone agree?

I must of missed the ffapvp in my Skyrim playing.  Did I have a setting turned off?  FPS not a game breaker for me.  Class based does kind of suck.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Anyone agree?

I disagree OP. FFA PVP? Go play Darkfall and come back and tell us all how Elder scrolls should be like that. No everyone feels a gankfeast is fun, as can be seen from DF's 4-5k subscribers.

Darkfalls failures have little to do with it being FFA PvP oriented.

Originally posted by bloodaxes

But this has nothing to do with this games since it's not bethseda that's working on it.

That shouldn't matter, if TES was my baby I'd have damn well made sure whoever was creating the MMO sticks to what makes TES a succcess story.  

Even if they had to create a brand new game engine for the game to work I wouldn't care.  

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

Originally posted by DAS1337

Anyone agree?

Darkfalls failures have little to do with it being FFA PvP oriented.

To be fair, Darkfall was the best MMO experience I've ever had. I was hoping TES would be a polished Darkfall with more emphasis on story and lore. Sadly no, I'll be farming heroics in Cyrodil..

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

Anyone agree?

It's better to take a risk and be innovative than re-use ideas that have been done before countless times.

right now the only type of MMO type that is missing a AAA product is Sandbox FFA PvP with FPS style combat (EVE is not FPS)

This is because FPS style combat the way you want it to be is not possible.  Technology is not advanced enough yet.  There are too many exploits that are made with such a system.  There is a reason why tab-targetting and hotkeys are the most popular.

Originally posted by Venger

Anyone agree?

I must of missed the ffapvp in my Skyrim playing.  Did I have a setting turned off?  FPS not a game breaker for me.  Class based does kind of suck.

With the exception of a few storyline characters you could kill anyone anywhere in any TES game.  Sure there were laws in place to discourage said murders but you could if you so wanted knowing the guards would be after you.  

If that doesn't scream FFA PvP I don't know what does.

Originally posted by DAS1337

Anyone agree?

This is because FPS style combat the way you want it to be is not possible.  Technology is not advanced enough yet.  There are too many exploits that are made with such a system.  There is a reason why tab-targetting and hotkeys are the most popular.

Darkfall Online / Mortal Online would like a word with you.

It is possible.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Enjoy the new MMO business model that the entitlement generation has brought down on us. Pr orders and box sales pay for the development of the game. Then if they can pull off three months of subs they can call it a success. Then they switch to F2P and milk the teet of the gimme gimme's

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

I am really upset with ESO not having player housing.  I'm so sick of their exclusion of housing in MMO's today.  One of the first things you wanted in TES games was a house to put all of your acquired wealth into.  I'm sck of not LIVING in the MMO that I'm playing in.  Instead, I'm just visiting.  Immersion is broken.  Where do our characters live?  Why do all of the NPC's get houses, yet the people who are actually playing the game do not?  It's pathetic.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Imo for a real elder scrolls online to work the servers have to be small (Unless the world is huge which is doubtful it would ever happen) and this way a combat system better than darkfall or mortal online like mount & blade would work fine and again imo would be really awesome.