Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eligium: Our Official Eligium Review

Comments

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

In SWG you already had the botting tools!

Ah well, it's free ...do not look a given horse in the mouth.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

"Compared to some of the other new F2P MMORPGs that launched earlier this year, Eligium is one of the better ones (if not the best) of the bunch" 

And that's a score of 6/10.

I hope you F2P endorsers and supporters are happy with this statement. It's an indicator of the probable future you are helping to create, because YOU JUST DON'T GET IT.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Jade Dynasty also has built in botting

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Vesavius

"Compared to some of the other new F2P MMORPGs that launched earlier this year, Eligium is one of the better ones (if not the best) of the bunch" 

And that's a score of 6/10.

I hope you F2P endorsers and supporters are happy with this statement. It's an indicator of the probable future you are helping to create, because YOU JUST DON'T GET IT.

Honestly? I can't really think of any F2P title that came out recently. The thing about them as well is that there is just so damn many of them. Saying one F2P title is better than other recent F2P title release is like picking out the least-smelling turd in a bag of crap and saying its the best.

Now, of course, not all F2P titles are crap. I've played a few good ones, the issue is a good chunk of those "good ones" can turn into utter crap real fast, if you don't get bored of the grind first.

Also, legalized botting is never a Pro. Its the developer admiting the game is a horrid and dull grind to play through, and instead of doing the intelligent thing and adjusting quest requirements and XP awarded, just slap on some tacky botting system for you to use. It smells of lazy and developers who don't want to put any actual work into the game.

It's also definitely NOT an unique feature, and shouldn't be herald as one.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

6.0 because have pandas!

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by Oldsalt

Is this the only game anyone knows of that has had legalized Botting? I don't know of any others. I don't know what other ganme to reference that to to understand how that would work.

Dragonsoul also has it.  If you spend real money your botting can turn from just killing things to killing and looting things.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

How is it that there is plenty of funding for this crap that no one wants, but yet someone else want's to go and create something new like Dominus and it gets axed due to lack of funds?

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

They could give 10/10. Sadly, this game deserve 1/10. I tried it...

• MagZiroMagZiro Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Oldsalt

Is this the only game anyone knows of that has had legalized Botting? I don't know of any others. I don't know what other ganme to reference that to to understand how that would work.

Jade Dynasty has a In-game bot included ( sort of char assist that also gives bonus hp etc etc depending on it's lvl)

• xaligerxaliger Member Posts: 9

There are good games arounnd where bots are allowed. It depends on publisher's policy. You cant beat the bots completely. You can allow them and try to complicate the matter. Most games do not allow not-attending bots though (bot runnign when you are afk). Usually by random events happening which requires human intervension and are really hard to automate.

I myself am trying to avoid bots, since I want to play, not to watch a bot,. But I was trying to write mine own bot script for ATITD. Was fun! It really felt like part of the game design. And do not think it was easy stuff, but I managed to get better results on bot mining then doing it myself :) Except mining there were/is very few areas where bot helped.

Side note: the Eligium translation really s*cks. Tried it. And no, its not ready for open beta (yet).

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Lucrecia

This game got a 6.0???!!! Shame on you MMORPG.com.  How much did they pay you?

Pretty much this ^.

Should have been a 4 - Bad. 

A horribly less polished "Chinese WoW". Seriously put those screenshots side-by-side with WoW and tell me with a straight face that you're not lieing to me right now.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• xZeRGzxZeRGz Member Posts: 118

I'm going to DL it tonight and play it over the weekend. Then I will give a limited review of it on monday evening.

*** Norton Kicked it to the curb. Said it was acting suspiciously! ***

• VeldaraVeldara Member UncommonPosts: 30

I decided to check this game out today, shoulda known it was trouble when my antivirus program auto deleted it the first time I installed it.  But you know what I gave it a chance like all mmos that come out.  Looked great, I like the Diablo camera angle, and controls.

I'll definitely echo the sentiment about the translation, hell even when talking to npcs, when they usually do that voice over greeting it was Chinese.  And the quest text and story if you can even call it that was so plain I got bored in 6 mins.

The botting thing, sure I think automated auction house/crafting/looting&selling/repair is pretty cool actually, but not to the point that you can nap while your toon kills shit for you.  If that's the case the devs should revaluate what would make a player have to use that.  Then again this can be said for a couple of the things I listed above. 

Overall I can't give this a recommendation, aesthetics are amazing but it's not enough to  redeem it.

• ElthiumElthium Member UncommonPosts: 88

This game gives new meaning to the words "mindless grindfest". If you enjoy grinding your way through dumb  AI mobs ad nauseam this is the game for you.

Otherwise give this piece of digital faeces a wide berth.

Shame on you Frogster.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004

Some f2p games have an auto pilot system. Use skills to attack enemies by itself, automaticly drink a potion when your health / mana gets to a certain level. Automaticly only pick up rare + items, automaticly go back to town to sell to trader and go back and train again, auto patrol areas etc. Alot of the asian f2p grinders already have a system like that in place. Some of them you pay for offline training etc.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

I can't believe this game would have received anything higher than a 4 if it weren't for the fact that they buy ad space on MMORPG.

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

but... it has a bot. and thats a pro. 

Wait does that mean if SWTOR had in-game bot it'd get a perfect 10? Maybe that was that one missing piece of puzzle that was stopping it from getting a 10? :o)

Seriously, why have your standards dropped so much? Last time i read Allods review, one of cons was 'no automove', and now this? 

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

This game is for people with very little time....  & very little life...

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

[quote]The translations in Eligium are, for the most part, passable. Literal, stiff, unnatural sounding and inconsistent and just some of the terms that I can think of. For example, players are asked to choose between 'line 1' and 'line 2' when entering the game. While it's fairly obvious that these represent the different game channels in Eligium, many of you might not understand the reason that the translation ended up with 'line' is because the Chinese term used to denote a game channel is literally 'line'. And this probably originated from the English phrase 'to go online'.[/quote]

No. It refers to "line" as in a phone "line", which was needed to access those good old baud modems to "chat" on BBS boards and internet relay chat (IRC) back in the day. The phone "line" which was the only way most of us "chatted" with each other before Alexander Graham Bell's devilish invention was replaced by the true hellspawn known as "The Internet".

Perhaps you've never heard a secretary announce there's a "call on line 1" on a multi-line business phone connection?

Anyway, that's the only part of the "review" of this "game" I felt was worthy of response.

Carry on.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

I couldn't make it past the 30 min mark and about lvl 10 or something. You can only guess what the classes actually shine at, you have no clue what the hell is going on, and worse: you don't CARE, all you do is killing (passive) mobs from lvl 1 onwards. At about lvl 5 you might see your first WoW-Murloc. And it only gets worse.

I have never been that bored after playing a game for such a short amount of time.

• munsil42munsil42 Member UncommonPosts: 96

Originally posted by 43%burnt

I couldn't make it past the 30 min mark and about lvl 10 or something. You can only guess what the classes actually shine at, you have no clue what the hell is going on, and worse: you don't CARE, all you do is killing (passive) mobs from lvl 1 onwards. At about lvl 5 you might see your first WoW-Murloc. And it only gets worse.

I have never been that bored after playing a game for such a short amount of time.

What 43%burnt said +10

Game is mindnumbing and boring

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Good rule of thumb:  Take mmorpg.com's final score and subtract 2 right off the top.  That 2 point bump is what I like to call "The ad revenue bump."

• DaedrickDaedrick Member Posts: 168

I only come to MMORPG.com to laugh at their reviews, content and incompetent management. I also take great pleasure reading comments telling the reviewers how bad they are at their job and how games are ALWAYS overated/overhyped. The comments are the only thing worth reading on this website.

MMORPG employes and especialy management are a FARCE. They are not that different from most other reviews websites. But its definatly one of the best(worst) of them.

Keep them coming!

-------------------------------------

Before: developers loved games and made money.

Now: developers love money and make games.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Good rule of thumb:  Take mmorpg.com's final score and subtract 2 right off the top.  That 2 point bump is what I like to call "The ad revenue bump."

Not that it's a tell all, but we're actually on average lower than the curve.  /shrug  I think our new system is working. But like all things based on opinion, YMMV.

LINK - Our Current Crop of Metacritic Scores.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

Single Greatest thing in this review, under Pros

"Features comparable to other MMOs"

That is now considered a pro, that makes me lol.