Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO uses Hero Engine?

kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16368

First the fact that Bethesda isnt making it and now the fact it may use same crappy engine SWTOR uses...I guess it's no thanks from me!

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Originally posted by kishe

First the fact that Bethesda isnt making it and now the fact it may use same crappy engine SWTOR uses...I guess it's no thanks from me!

Doesn't mean that they won't be able to do a better job. Only time will tell whether or not they make good use of the engine.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Actually SWTOR uses a heavily customized prerelease version of the Hero Engine. The actual Hero Engine, when backed with a dev team which knows what the hell they're doing, should be just fine.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I'm not ready to give up on the Hero engine quite yet,  sure it was bad in SWTOR but BW used it when they knew it was not a finished product.   I'm gonna take a wait and see approach.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Actually SWTOR uses a heavily customized prerelease version of the Hero Engine. The actual Hero Engine, when backed with a dev team which knows what the hell they're doing, should be just fine.

This, it's one of the reason why the current Hero Engine supports swiming and the outdated mod version in Start Wars: The Old Republic does not.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

Honestly, it's probably a good thing - Blethesda has proven time and time again that they can't code an engine for shit.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

I want Dx 11.1 and good multi thread support. That will maybe not be possible with Hero Engine.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by Hurvart

I want Dx 11.1 and good multi thread support. That will maybe not be possible with Hero Engine.

current hero engine supports only dx9...its getting dx11 upgrade soonish(tm)

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

As long as it has the same leveling system as single-player ES then I dont care what the hell they use!

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

There goes that game..

Seriously .. who would want to use a single threaded dx9 engine for a mmo?? (yes, i'm looking at you bioware)

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Well, this doesn't mean the game will perform as badly as SWTOR does in some places, but still, not good news to me. 

I have yet to see a Hero Engine-built game (or a beta) that has really impressed in atmosphere and performance.

Apart from SWTOR, we have the in-production Repopulation, the shut-down Faxion Online, the cancelled Gatheryn, the cancelled Dominus...

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying Hero Engine is a death sentence (lol), just that I did play SWTOR and test the last two games on that list for a short time, and though it was sad to see them get discontinued, the engine honestly did not make a good impression in those games, either.

And I actually believe Bioware could have made a better game if they went for an in-house engine from the first day...

Anyway, here's still hoping... Who knows, Zenimax might put Bioware to shame. :)

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

Originally posted by Rednecksith

probably not. hero engine is designed for ease of use. this means the engine does things for you rather that your having to do it yourself (think high level vs low level programming languages). this makes it a piece of shit when it comes to performance.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Ive yet to see a game that looked good on Hero Engine

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

When i heard about this it kind of scared me.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by minocin

As long as it has the same leveling system as single-player ES then I dont care what the hell they use!

It can't, how can you create an MMO where the world levels with you.  Well you can, but if you're using the same old engine it's not going to be that.  This game should have been given a truly unique touch, . They aren't trying to capture the Elder Scroll experience, simply profit off it. 

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Uh uhhh.

Anything that has to do with EA, SWTOR and unfortunately the Hero Engine is a no go..

I've second guess purchasing Madden 2013 again just because of the nonsense this company is pulling as of recently. Hero Engine by itself I really didn't enjoy the feel of. The SWTOR's enviroment just wasn't very appealing to me and that's all apart of the engine and Biowares faults of course.

I'll see what these guys do with it, just to actually see how someoone else can do with it.

Meh.. Smh.. uh uhhh

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

It's been rumored to release sometime next year, good luck getting anything other than the DX9 version.  I've yet to see a good use of this engine and it's really starting to become apparent to me that it can't be the fault of every development house for it's poor performance, which makes me shudder at the potential disaster for using this cursed engine.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I read about that.    The engine BioWare bought was an unfinished, incomplete prototype that they heavily changed and never consulted with the Hero Engine people about.   It, simply put, wasn't ready to be the base of an MMO. 

I read, somewhere, the new Hero Engine, recently finished, does multi-thread properly.   Unlike BioWare's.  I can't remember where, only that I thought it was interesting the the engine was finally done, but too late for SWTOR which was ruined by the unfinished prototype.

Now, maybe that was true.  Maybe it wasn't.   I'm just hoping that if Bethsoft is going to use the Hero engine, they do a better job than BioWare.   And they can forget any pre-ordering...   I'm not going through SWTOR hell again.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

If this game is slated to release sometime next year, its using the OLD hero engine. No need to talk about a new hero engine build when an MMO is that far into development. Sometimes I wonder what you youner  folks are smokin these days.

Plain and simple the hero engine is garbage, it has no place being used in a high profile MMO. Its great for a small indie company trying to get its foot in the door with MMO's, and on a small budget.

As much as I love ES games, and was excited when I first heard about an MMO, the hero engine killed it for me.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

OP is just spouting nonsense.  

Look at the date on the link he provided.  It's almost 5 years old.

Bethesda is to professional for this nonsense.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Please don't make assumptions about an engine based on one implementation !!!

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by username509

OP is just spouting nonsense.  

Look at the date on the link he provided.  It's almost 5 years old.

Bethesda is to professional for this nonsense.  

The link is from same year Zenimax supposedly started developing elder scrolls online,.

and this game isn't being done by Bethesda, it's being done by Zenimax Online Studios.

Just like Infinity Ward isnt involved with Blizzards games, Bethesda wont be involved with games done by other studios owned by their mother company.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Vorthanion

It's been rumored to release sometime next year, good luck getting anything other than the DX9 version.  I've yet to see a good use of this engine and it's really starting to become apparent to me that it can't be the fault of every development house for it's poor performance, which makes me shudder at the potential disaster for using this cursed engine.

There have only been 2 games released on the Hero engine so far The Old Republic and Faxion Online which can hardly be taken as an example as it was a game made on practically made on no budget and made as quickly as possible. Your post makes it sound as though there are loads of other examples out there when there are none except from one fly by night attempt.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by Kabaal

There have only been 2 games released on the Hero engine so far The Old Republic and Faxion Online which can hardly be taken as an example as it was a game made on practically made on no budget and made as quickly as possible. Your post makes it sound as though there are loads of other examples out there when there are none except from one fly by night attempt.

Those two; plus, I've beta-tested two games on Hero Engine: Gatheryn and Dominus, both cancelled. And let me tell you, I've seen enough to understand that the engine certainly has a "feel" to it, and personally in each case it's been offputting to me. And the performance was never good, either.

Granted, the other games had nowhere near the finances Bioware had, but if you see four games on the same engine and develop a feel for it, you'll understand.

Ultimately I can't help but think a good deal of SWTOR's artistic shortcomings might have stemmed from the shortcomings of the engine itself... Pity, the game had such absolutely beautiful concept art - some of the best I've seen in in a game project... 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Warhammer Online also uses the Hero Engine.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Warhammer Online also uses the Hero Engine.

Nope. Gamebryo.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil