Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Every single feature of elder scrolls games removed. (article link)

adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

New details have emerged, and I think I might be sick.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/337278/20120504/elder-scrolls-online-game-details-mmorpg-announcement.htm

First a real gem:

The game will also use a hotbar to activate skills like many classic MMOs and will vissually resemble other current online multiplayer games, including "Star Wars: The Old Republic."

oh.. kay what else:

Players will not be able to transform themselves into werewolves or vampires and there will be no flying mounts, player housing, non-playable character (NPC) romance or marriage, and no dragons in the upcoming game.

and:

the game will use genre standards like classes and experience point based leveling up.

but wait it gets better:

"Elder Scrolls Online" will feature raids and heroic mode for its dungeons

Surely that's all the bad news... what... oh god make it stop:

The combat system will not play out in real time. Instead it will be based on a stamina bar, allowing the player to sprint, block, interrupt or break incapacitating effects.

There's no sadface that can properly describe this, if it's true.

Comments

• SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367

That's what the Game Informer article says.  It's pretty disappointing.  Anyone who was hoping for a game like Skyrim or Oblivion, except online with tons of other players, will be left wanting.  As far as the typical MMO goes, it might be better than most but The Elder Scrolls Online will certainly not be THE ELDER SCROLLS online. 

I'll wait to learn more before I completely write it off.  It may still be entertaining, at least for a while, but I suspect I'll have put more time into Skyrim than I do into the mmo.  The only redeeming factor that I see is that it has 3 factions that are constantly at war, like DAoC, so the endgame PvP may have some entertainment value to it.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

To be fair, you do understand that the lore of the Elder Scrolls Series has been translated to other styles of games?

I think people are being a little harsh because they assume that the brand automatically means an open ended sandbox, but the brand could actually be applied to many different  game styles should they choose..

Much like the Warcraft series (which were originally RTS games) being made into an MMO..

I think it would be nice if they went for the fast paced FPS style (Like Tribes Ascend meets Mount and Blade) and perfected a better skill based battle system that could then be used in their next single player title..

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

yeah its not on my watch list thats for sure..

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by Vyeth

To be fair, you do understand that the lore of the Elder Scrolls Series has been translated to other styles of games?

I don't know what you are trying to say, this is pretty much unintelligible.  Elder scrolls games are nothing like what it describes ESO will be.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Yesterday; I was thrilled. Today; I am ashamed. 

Zeni: "We have the opportunity to enter the MMO market. Our sandbox style gameplay could easily interest MMO players for years to come. Timeless story and lore at our fingertips. The following of an entire gamerbase. Let us brainstorm."

/developerRaisesHand "Let's make it a third-person, hotbar clicking, ability spamming action combat. Let's also not use any sandbox features such as player housing or anything. Oh--and traditional dungeons and raids! No one like an Elder scrolls style MMO, look at Mortal online. It obviously failed! We shouldn't do anything like that! Players love WoW; so lets follow suit!"

I really wish I knew the team who decided this was the best call for ESO. Faith and hope that the MMO industry will change back to innovation has severly dwindled for me. I'm on the brink of taking a break. I don't even have cautious optimism for TSW. I just know it'll suck; but hey, what mmo in 2012 doesn't. =

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

I don't think that there is really enough info for me to have much of an opinion at this point. MMORPGs mostly depend on the gameplay rather than the features in my opinion. Console games offer much better features and can be played with others on the internet as well. I would gladly play a good MMORPG on the PC over any console game though even though its graphics and features totally suck in comparison. Dangling carrots isn't working anymore though. I wish that they would start to dangle other vegetables. Unpredicted random vegetables! Bring it on! In all seriousness I just hope that they have some sort of risk vs reward system that keeps me at the edge of my seat along with some fun gameplay and thats enough to keep me happy. From the looks of it, they are grabbing too many of the MMORPG basics and seem to be thinking of making an MMORPG in the way that they are seen today and not the way that we are hoping for.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• PapoyePapoye Member Posts: 15

They have guys from Star Wars : Galaxies, Ultima Online and the creator of dark age of camelot and they make a fast food MMO for kids with a kingdom versus kingdom limited to 100vs100..........what the fck with devellopers ,in the recents MMO players can't do the base of RPG "Sit down in a tavern!" wake up guys!!!

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103

How are people surprised by this? The Final Fantasy online games are certainly nothing like the offline versions, and there are a crap-ton more Final Fantasy games than there are Elder Scroll games. World of Warcraft is nothing like the original Warcraft games... It's going to be an MMORPG, it needs to play like one.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    .100 vs 100 vs 100 actually, but that's an engine limit thing, could be any numbers at any time, just not more than 300 at one spot.

Also how the duck can this game be a "wow clone" when the game its most obviously drawing inspiration from is daoc and daoc is bloody older than wow.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ultima online hasnt much in common with the ultima rpgs
  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Originally posted by kingotnw

How are people surprised by this? The Final Fantasy online games are certainly nothing like the offline versions, and there are a crap-ton more Final Fantasy games than there are Elder Scroll games. World of Warcraft is nothing like the original Warcraft games... It's going to be an MMORPG, it needs to play like one.

My point exactly..

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I think people are being a little harsh because they assume that the brand automatically means an open ended sandbox, but the brand could actually be applied to many different  game styles should they choose..

Why would players assume it would be an open ended sandbox when Elder Scroll games are all open ended Themeparks?

You don't manipulate the world (sandbox) in an Elder Scroll game.  You ride the rides (themepark.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• EvenhopeEvenhope Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by adam_nox

New details have emerged, and I think I might be sick.http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/337278/20120504/elder-scrolls-online-game-details-mmorpg-announcement.htmFirst a real gem:

The game will also use a hotbar to activate skills like many classic MMOs and will vissually resemble other current online multiplayer games, including "Star Wars: The Old Republic."
    oh.. kay what else:

Players will not be able to transform themselves into werewolves or vampires and there will be no flying mounts, player housing, non-playable character (NPC) romance or marriage, and no dragons in the upcoming game.

and:

the game will use genre standards like classes and experience point based leveling up.

but wait it gets better:

"Elder Scrolls Online" will feature raids and heroic mode for its dungeons

Surely that's all the bad news... what... oh god make it stop:

The combat system will not play out in real time. Instead it will be based on a stamina bar, allowing the player to sprint, block, interrupt or break incapacitating effects.

There's no sadface that can properly describe this, if it's true.

PHEW!!! For a moment there I thought this was gonna be a game that I was gonna have to spend my money on. Thankfully this article reveals that I've already done this all before and can save the $$$.

Thanks for the info!!!
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Axehilt

Why would players assume it would be an open ended sandbox when Elder Scroll games are all open ended Themeparks?
    You don't manipulate the world (sandbox) in an Elder Scroll game.  You ride the rides (themepark.)

I agree with Axehilt. However, I think the point still stands that the MMO they are writing seems to be a substantial departure from what the Elder Scrolls series is known for. It's not classes and the inability to have a house.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

What the... why would they... this is just...I can't even begin to... are they trying to make "TORtanic 2"?

Hype train -> Reality

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

It will be Elder Scrolls only by name, not surprised.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by adam_nox

what the hell does this mean?..."not in real time"?!....like turn based?....WTF CRAP IS THIS?

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

More hot bar themepark madness . really?  Incredible, I must really be at odds with the market trends. The only logical reason someone would make another *** clone of a game is because thats where they see the dollars being.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Lets wait and see but it doesn't sound so hot right now. How do you take all the goodness out of what made the Elder Scrolls game so great and not even use them in your mmo ?  We'll see...

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• PapoyePapoye Member Posts: 15
    That mean clic action,alt-tab,play diablo,clic action,alt-tab,play diablo....
  • VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

I had a suspicion this would happen, although I would like to hold off on forming an opinion until I hear something more substantial.

The things that made the prior Elderscrolls games so enjoyable (to varying degrees) such as exploration, crafting, factions, skills and story..these things do not translate well into an MMO for the masses. So that feeling of immersion and depth I have when playing these games (morrowind), will be absent from the online version.  Its just a sad state of fact that I think will increasingly come to light as we learn more about ESO.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Sora2810

Yesterday; I was thrilled. Today; I am ashamed. 

Zeni: "We have the opportunity to enter the MMO market. Our sandbox style gameplay could easily interest MMO players for years to come. Timeless story and lore at our fingertips. The following of an entire gamerbase. Let us brainstorm."

/developerRaisesHand "Let's make it a third-person, hotbar clicking, ability spamming action combat. Let's also not use any sandbox features such as player housing or anything. Oh--and traditional dungeons and raids! No one like an Elder scrolls style MMO, look at Mortal online. It obviously failed! We shouldn't do anything like that! Players love WoW; so lets follow suit!"

I really wish I knew the team who decided this was the best call for ESO. Faith and hope that the MMO industry will change back to innovation has severly dwindled for me. I'm on the brink of taking a break. I don't even have cautious optimism for TSW. I just know it'll suck; but hey, what mmo in 2012 doesn't. =

Change BACK to innovation, by making a straight up sandbox game, where is the innovation? And Mortal Online, definately not a roaring success...

Personally I would love it if the game was Skyrim Online, but meh, not going to lose sleep over  it.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Direct quote from an article: "Recreating the freedom Elder Scrolls players expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics Zenimax Online is using for this MMO..." (that is a quote from another article. not the one in the OP)

"and will vissually resemble other current online multiplayer games, including "Star Wars: The Old Republic." (that is a direct quote from the OP article)

FAIL!!!!

Just by mentioning WoW or SWTOR as a blueprint for this game is an Automatic  Fail.

Derivative game is derivative

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Ouch...just read the article....sounds like they are trying to "TOR-ify" TES....sorry but pass...I'm not interested in buying that crap. If you are going to make a TES MMO...do it right...don't just think you can plop down an Elder Scrolls skin on some other game and call it a day..... haven't Dev's learned already that's a recipie for fail?

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by kingotnw

My point exactly..

Nobody ever says, "man, i wish they would make my favorite sandbox game into a wow clone"

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.