Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Great Expectations...Met

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Jimmydean

I still dont know how people plan to make this their main mmo. You level to cap in a week, do some wvw, and then do the few explorer mode dungeons... Then what? There are no goals in this game, and dynamic events are only slightly better than quest grinding. I boughg the game because im sure itll give me a few weeks of entertainment, but lets be realistic here people. Also for people saying there are no other games out there like gw2, Warhammer Online was very similar.

Trophies and content completion. There are actually a lot of people that enjoy these things. It's the reason why they added trophy and title systems to everyting. People that primarily enjoy these things are not bothered by the lack of gear treadmill. I'd appreciate it if you would stop trying to pretend like we don't exist. Thanks.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by Xzen

I still dont know how people plan to make this their main mmo. You level to cap in a week, do some wvw, and then do the few explorer mode dungeons... Then what? There are no goals in this game, and dynamic events are only slightly better than quest grinding. I boughg the game because im sure itll give me a few weeks of entertainment, but lets be realistic here people. Also for people saying there are no other games out there like gw2, Warhammer Online was very similar.

Trophies and content completion. There are actually a lot of people that enjoy these things. It's the reason why they added trophy and title systems to everyting. People that primarily enjoy these things are not bothered by the lack of gear treadmill. I'd appreciate it if you would stop trying to pretend like we don't exist. Thanks.

Maybe you didnt know it. But guess what, Warhammer have all those thing, Lots and Lots of trophies and content completion and a system more complex and huge than gw2 have a moment, you can even put those trophies on your character armor, they have like 6 armor slots for them, so everyone can see them on ur toon it was a pretty good system tbh. For a war veteran GW2 looks like a cheap copy of warhammer online, and we know what will happen with the game after 1 week of non-stop playtime. Anet is making the same mistakes that mythic did with war in the past, talking about RvR.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by zigmund

MMO players have been crying out to developers for YEARS to make something different.

Something engaging, innovative, fun - rewarding.

Areanet is about to be richly rewarded.

I agree, I can already imagine the profit they will reap from this.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    So you do like pointless grinding, but grinding for a purpose (gear) is not ok? I dont get your logic. Achievements were always a side thing or something you did for the reward, and people still got bored of them in WoW and every other game thats had them. You are probably right thougj, this game will be different so u can justify the $150 u spent on the CE.

Originally posted by hikaru77

Originally posted by Xzen

Maybe you didnt know it. But guess what, Warhammer have all those thing, Lots and Lots of trophies and content completion and a system more complex and huge than gw2 have a moment, you can even put those trophies on your character armor, they have like 6 armor slots for them, so everyone can see them on ur toon it was a pretty good system tbh. For a war veteran GW2 looks like a cheap copy of warhammer online, and we know what will happen with the game after 1 week of non-stop playtime. Anet is making the same mistakes that mythic did with war in the past, talking about RvR.

I played WAR and it felt like a cheap knock off of WoW. It felt like a f2p quality game from the start. I did like the public quests.

So you do like pointless grinding, but grinding for a purpose (gear) is not ok? I dont get your logic. Achievements were always a side thing or something you did for the reward, and people still got bored of them in WoW and every other game thats had them. You are probably right thougj, this game will be different so u can justify the $150 u spent on the CE.

In my experience when you grind for gear the grind is made worse by the fact that you need to grind a raid countless times so that people can get their full gear set before moving to the next raid.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Right, but in my experience with GW1, if you wanted anything more than 30/50 u had to grind more than I have ever had to for gear.

Right, but in my experience with GW1, if you wanted anything more than 30/50 u had to grind more than I have ever had to for gear.

I don't know about that. You can get most of the trophies just by playing through it. In WoW for example I had to spend months farming 1 raid with my guild so that everyone could get geared up for the next raid.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Sythion

Originally posted by Vorthanion

After the first hour or so, I was really starting to hate the required circle / strafe combat.  I knew going in that this could be an issue for me, but it really does contrast my preference for old school MMO combat mechanics versus this new breed of console style MMO now dominating the market and I'm beginning to realize my preferred play style may be seeing it's last days in the genre.

I'm sure you'll fine a game that has the devolution of combat mechanics you are looking for!

All this... trying is HARD! Right?

There is nothing difficult about GW2's combat, it's merely annoying, so whatever dude.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

After the first hour or so, I was really starting to hate the required circle / strafe combat.  I knew going in that this could be an issue for me, but it really does contrast my preference for old school MMO combat mechanics versus this new breed of console style MMO now dominating the market and I'm beginning to realize my preferred play style may be seeing it's last days in the genre.

I'm sure you'll fine a game that has the devolution of combat mechanics you are looking for!

There is nothing difficult about GW2's combat, it's merely annoying, so whatever dude.

I found that circle strafe was far, far less effective than properly using your dodge + skills to "ping pong" a mob back and forth.

You didn't need to constantly kite, but instead just move in and out at the appropriate time based on their attack patterns.

That was playing melee of course, much more challenging and skill intensive.

Originally posted by heartless

I'm not terribly impressed.  The only class that felt fun to me was the Guardian.  The Ranger would be right up there with it if the game didn't have such a weak and pointless pet system.  The rest of the classes felt incredibly weak and squishy and some, like the Elementalist and Engineer, downright frustrating as hell.  It's really hard for me to even give the rest of the game a chance when the most basic and integral part of it tends to be annoying at best.  That's before I even have to deal with a combat system that doesn't really appeal to me in the first place.

After playing GW2, I can't even go back to the standard combat anymore. It puts me to sleep. But to each their own I guess.

Yeah, imagine that.  To each their own, for sure.

Originally posted by BadSpock

I found that circle strafe was far, far less effective than properly using your dodge + skills to "ping pong" a mob back and forth.

You didn't need to constantly kite, but instead just move in and out at the appropriate time based on their attack patterns.

Dodge and CC abilities on my Elementalist and Engineer were not enough, you had to constantly run away from mobs or die regularly.

Combat in mmorpgs has always been it's weakness. When you compare the combat in mmorpgs to Devil May Cry or my personal favorite Monster Hunter it doesn't hold up.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Dodge and CC abilities on my Elementalist and Engineer were not enough, you had to constantly run away from mobs or die regularly.

I can imagine. Sounds like you may want to try another profession?

Also it greatly depends on your weapon and attunement/kit.

For example, as an Elementalist you have a lot more defense + control using either Water or Earth attunement.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I'm not terribly impressed.  The only class that felt fun to me was the Guardian.  The Ranger would be right up there with it if the game didn't have such a weak and pointless pet system.  The rest of the classes felt incredibly weak and squishy and some, like the Elementalist and Engineer, downright frustrating as hell.  It's really hard for me to even give the rest of the game a chance when the most basic and integral part of it tends to be annoying at best.  That's before I even have to deal with a combat system that doesn't really appeal to me in the first place.

I think alot of what you're frustrated about is just merely learning curve issues. I played the Elementalist (lv 10) and Engineer (lv 6) during beta weekend and had a blast, literally. You just have to be good at kiting if you're soloing, or learn the burst combos to take stuff down in a hurry with either class. I will say that I was able to stand in the back of a pack of players quite often and just blast away with the ele and engineer both.

Circle strafing seems to be required less, at least with the ele, if you control your targets with the various abilities you have. Attunement dancing will be a requirement to master the elementalist. Additionally, there are abilities that push you out of combat as well.

You might just prefer the old method of combat in mmos, or you may come to really enjoy it once you learn it.

Originally posted by Kaneth

I think alot of what you're frustrated about is just merely learning curve issues. I played the Elementalist (lv 10) and Engineer (lv 6) during beta weekend and had a blast, literally. You just have to be good at kiting if you're soloing, or learn the burst combos to take stuff down in a hurry with either class. I will say that I was able to stand in the back of a pack of players quite often and just blast away with the ele and engineer both.

Circle strafing seems to be required less, at least with the ele, if you control your targets with the various abilities you have. Attunement dancing will be a requirement to master the elementalist. Additionally, there are abilities that push you out of combat as well.

You might just prefer the old method of combat in mmos, or you may come to really enjoy it once you learn it.

This is an extremely valid point.

While the Guardian at low levels could stand and fight better than other professions, after level 7-8 or so I found myself getting just punished in melee range like crazy, so I had to re-learn my "usual" MMO conventions and really start using my skills to bounce in and out of combat and hop between targets so I was never in range of a mob while it was attacking.

It's great when you realize skills you can use as a distance closer can also be used as a distance gainer if you don't have a target selected and just use them to hop/teleport.

Very fun.

I just can't even think about going back to any other MMO after playing GW2 for both the awesome combat and the incredible "flow" of the PvE - feels so much like old school Trammel in UO to me - just wander and explore and fight stuff while getting rewarded for it. Love it.

Originally posted by Kaneth

No, it is not a learning curve issue, it's a play style issue, hence my qualifier about my dislike for the combat system going in.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267

Endgame: Yes WvWvW and structured pvp, but also crafting, exploring, and just being a social part of the community. There is a huge achievement list with all sorts of things to hunt down and do. If you ever played GW1 then you KNOW how difficult these types of things will be. My advice is to PACE yourself rather than race to the top. Enjoy the ride. By the time you get there and have really conquered all there is I'm sure you'll have the next content update to chase, and then the next, and then the next...oh and then an exspansion...oh and then another one.

If you race and burn out thats your problem, but you have Tera, D3, Neverwinter on the way etc. to bounce to until theres more excitement for you in Tyria again.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• Force_FireForce_Fire Member Posts: 145

GW2 = meh

With respect to the Devs and Fans out there. I don't see anything "earth shattering" here. It all looks pretty run-of-the-mill standard stuff to me. Nothing is really jumping out at me and I have no desire to run out and buy this thing. I suppose if it were a bit more sandbox....maybe, IDK.

I'm gonna pass on this one. 

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

look at all those edits censorship at it's best. But heres hoping I don't get censored. I don't think the graphics from what i've seen of beta footage and even the screenies you have in this post aren't  rly  up to par with the best of the best current graphichs out there. It kinda looks like your playing runes of Magic with brighter colors and less lens smudge. The people I've spoken to say that the classes are pretty much the same old same old. I wanted to be excited for this game but after the swtor fiasco I think I'll wait afew months on this one before they get a dime of mine. But to you brave souls that pre-ordered or are gonna get at release I salute your bravery!!!!!!!!! If it rocks I'll see ya guys there in a couple months hehe

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WFRxszZOuk

Had not seen this vid; it's immersive. The artwork, the sounds & music, the exploration and the odd idea of strawberries -> enjoyable.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WFRxszZOuk

Had not seen this vid; it's immersive. The artwork, the sounds & music, the exploration and the odd idea of strawberries -> enjoyable.

Super feature in GW2. Adventuring! Thanx for the video.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Just check this DE explanation vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes My mind was blown aways. Some single player rpgs don't have such attention to detail.

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

Originally posted by Force_Fire

GW2 = meh

With respect to the Devs and Fans out there. I don't see anything "earth shattering" here. It all looks pretty run-of-the-mill standard stuff to me. Nothing is really jumping out at me and I have no desire to run out and buy this thing. I suppose if it were a bit more sandbox....maybe, IDK.

I'm gonna pass on this one. 

If you are waiting for a more 'sandboxy' mmorpg than you will wait a long long time...

• Astor1977Astor1977 Member UncommonPosts: 13

I wasn't excited about this game, but my brother and other family member were, so i bought it anyway.  And while I did have a good time with the beta, my over all experience was, "meh".  

1.  The fantasy genre has become cliche in games at this point and for me, the biggest redeeming thing was the engineer.

2. The dynamic events.  When completing them, a questionaire would pop up, "Did this change the world?"  And I would always reply, "If it did, I certainly can't see how."

3. There is much to do in this game, but after the first few levels, it just felt like running from one heart npc to the next, i.e. quest grinding for levels.

4. The asian grinder outfits and the impossibly giant swords are nearly game-breaking for me.

I can honestly say though that this game did exceed my expectations, but that it wasn't by much and that was likely because they were already low when I went into the game.