Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are people excited for an Elder Scrolls MMO?

13»

Comments

• SaintGrayeSaintGraye Member UncommonPosts: 109

Originally posted by nomatics856

Originally posted by SaintGraye

Remember what happened last time we took a great single player RPG and turned it into an MMO?

We got Ultima Online.

Nice comment smart ass, you know what I meant. The UO and EQ era are dead. I am talking in the WoWesq era.

Haha! Okay, okay... I'll concede the point.

I did understand what you meant, but you must also admit that my own remark, snarky as it was, has merit. The possibility exists that ESO might be a decent game. I'm not optimistic, but, I'd prefer to restrain my cynicism until the game nears release.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

hope they make a great MMORPG but i dont see how a game like TES can be a good MMORPG. skyrim is a excelent single player game, i believe even a co-op skyrim will be great but a MMORPG i doubt will work.

from the scans i read i wasnt impress...hope im wrong. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

hope they make a great MMORPG but i dont see how a game like TES can be a good MMORPG. skyrim is a excelent single player game, i believe even a co-op skyrim will be great but a MMORPG i doubt will work.

from the scans i read i wasnt impress...hope im wrong. 

I think people are imagining skyrim as an mmorpg and putting their hopes into.   It will be surprising it the game turns out anything like skyrim.  I guess  those people will be disappointed by it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I am optimistically skeptical about an Elder Scrolls MMO.

---

I have enjoyed the Elder scrolls single player games, with their overall freedom and the multitude of non storyline quests. (Something missing from MMO theme parks)  I am really looking forward to this game.

---

But I am skeptical and have questions:

1) I really like the Elder Scrolls leveling system. Will that be maintained in the MMO?

2) Will there be the non storyline quests and reasons to explore?

3) Will there be open and unrestricted PVP which is usually abused and, in the end, turns off many players, discouraging them from staying in the game.

4) Will it be a true Elder Scrolls game if Bethesda isn't making it?

5) Will it keep the first person view?

6) Can an MMO have Skyrim graphics?

7) Will it keep the two hand fighting system? (Sword in one hand fireball in the other; the same spell in each hand and it becomes stronger; sword and shield or whatever combinations you want)

---

On a postive note, Maybe the Character animations will be improved.

---

I am excited and Optomistic that an Elder Scroll MMO will be good. But I am have questions that  I hope will be answered soon.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

You see this is what happen if you let Assumptions go astray.

They just announced about the game and all the doom and gloom thread is out in force.

At least gave the company a benefit of the doubt, let them show the gameplay first then cry out or whine.

Need to be pro to new games. More games, more competition, MMO game will get better and better.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

Originally posted by xmenty

They just announced about the game and all the doom and gloom thread is out in force.

At least gave the company a benefit of the doubt, let them show the gameplay first then cry out or whine.

Need to be pro to new games. More games, more competition, MMO game will get better and better.

"“It needs to be comfortable for people who are coming in from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms,..." 

so a typical MMORPG is something around WoW / Lotro / Aion. just with this state i know gameplay will not be like Skyrim at all, unless they are lying.

common anyone believe Skyrim gameplay is suitable for a MMORPG? but just the fact the gameplay will not be like skyrim doent mean the game cant be great. we need to see some gameplay xD

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I really don't think it's possible to create the TES MMO we've all had in our heads over the years, so I'll just wait and see what happens, and a few tidbits of leaked info (all we have) is not going to sway me in any direction.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

I really don't see how they can implement what I enjoy most in TES games in an MMO.  The consequences of your actions can't have the impact that it has in the SPG.   

That doesn't mean that I am not interested and that I don't think  that it could be a good game.  I'm hoping it will turn out great and I look forward to seeing how things turn out through development. 

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

"“It needs to be comfortable for people who are coming in from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms,..." 

so a typical MMORPG is something around WoW / Lotro / Aion. just with this state i know gameplay will not be like Skyrim at all, unless they are lying.

common anyone believe Skyrim gameplay is suitable for a MMORPG? but just the fact the gameplay will not be like skyrim doent mean the game cant be great. we need to see some gameplay xD

What a bunch of trash, no way its gonna copy a wow clone, there are more people who play Elder Scrolls games by the box sales than people who are playing any of the wow clones currently. Long story short progression raiders are not part of their bottom line. You can go ahead and put this one in the ( loss ) column if your looking for a WOW replacement. They updated their combat system already for a reason, they are already aiming for skill based combat similar to every new mmo coming out soon, so dont have any illusions of them giving a crap what Age of Conan did lol. 

You raider types need to give it up, RIFT was the last great hurrah for that playstyle I suggest you go enjoy it.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Remember what happened last time we took a great single player RPG and turned it into an MMO?

Who says I'm excited?    I'm more nervous than excited.  

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by burning

well if this IS the leaked scans of the magazine i say they need to throw it in the trash!

http://xbigygames.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-screenshots-and-details/

From the article linked:

fact that Bethesda, as well as talent from Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot, are standing behind this project, we just might have the next big fantasy MMO waiting for us.

That's some good news there.  Especially as ESO will be 3-realm combat...  And DAoC was three realm combat.  

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

Originally posted by MosesZD

Who says I'm excited?    I'm more nervous than excited.  

I'm nervous too. But nothing would make me happier than to see an Elder Scrolls MMO dominate the market. I think it's worth the risk.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Skymourne

I agree.  normally i would go nuts over something like this, but i'm really not this time.  I'm actually a bit worried about the franchise now, however it's a bit too early to really make judgements like that.  The idea is amazing but wishful thinking. It will most likely never be what i want it to be.

im actually excited, but this highlighted sentence can be true for me too. In my personal opinion, If it doesnt look like Skyrim but much more superior then i wont even bother with it although the thoughts of a multiplayer TES sounds good.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Hold your horses guys...The last thing we need is the game to be destroyed by:

- Hype

- Fans "over" expectations

- The product to be rushed out incomplete

I keep my expectations low for this one, they can take 5-6 years to develop. As long as the do it right.

Oh yeah, anyone who gets into alpha....please please please test the game throughly. Dont be blinded because you're the first to test TESO.

• missbouncymissbouncy Member Posts: 2

I LOVE LOVE LOVE all their previous games but can't play them much since discovering MMO's because I get lonely. It's that simple for me. So super excited for it personally but hope people remember - it's just an MMO! New scenery/new quests/new friends maybe - but it's no jet pack or hoverboard so stay sane people, ok! ;)

Originally posted by goldiewilson

What a bunch of trash, no way its gonna copy a wow clone, there are more people who play Elder Scrolls games by the box sales than people who are playing any of the wow clones currently. Long story short progression raiders are not part of their bottom line. You can go ahead and put this one in the ( loss ) column if your looking for a WOW replacement. They updated their combat system already for a reason, they are already aiming for skill based combat similar to every new mmo coming out soon, so dont have any illusions of them giving a crap what Age of Conan did lol. 

You raider types need to give it up, RIFT was the last great hurrah for that playstyle I suggest you go enjoy it.

lol. i doubt people read anything on this forum.

you know that wasnt me that have say this right? ""“It needs to be comfortable for people who are coming in from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms,..." 

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Yes lets all be negative like you forever.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

I can't believe people are trolling this game already, its going to be a horrible and negative forum over the next several months.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Ista,

We have every RIGHT to be cautious and keep peoples expectations down, this was a post to my guild earlier today for the exact reason.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Elder-Scrolls-Online-MMOG-Bethesda-Zenimax-Online-Studios,15535.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_producer

Guys, let's keep it down. The problem nowadays is that the marketing geniuses KNOW people are pining for stuff like DAOC. It's become a buzz word. Honestly, read what they do. They are like a middle management boss. All the work, none of the input.

Not to beat a dead horse but this game has been "in development for years" but is due out next year. GW2 has been in development since 2006. I don't buy it. Especially when EVERY article includes the exact same buzzwords. Call me cautious. Especially since its been in "development for years" because there are some seriously good innovations in MMOs.

Finally, for best producer results they...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ZokyAgtdM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Dark_SkuraiDark_Skurai Member Posts: 106

I agree, forum is -way- to negative. It's good to be cautious, no doubt, but it's so damned early that we can't really judge much of anything.

Wait for some videos or a beta/alpha. That's when you can start bein' abit more of a dick. Even then, I've played and watched enough MMO these last 9 years I've been playing them to know that you can't really make ANY REAL judgements till release. Hell, it's become my policy to wait a month or two in the very least before buying.

EDIT: Though, I will say that them waiting till a year before release in comendable. At least they didn't spend years hyping it up like SWTOR did, and GW2 and 40K Online are.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by yaminsux

Hold your horses guys...The last thing we need is the game to be destroyed by:

- Hype

- Fans "over" expectations

- The product to be rushed out incomplete

I keep my expectations low for this one, they can take 5-6 years to develop. As long as the do it right.

Oh yeah, anyone who gets into alpha....please please please test the game throughly. Dont be blinded because you're the first to test TESO.

Tack the letters M-M-O onto the end of any successful IP and the fanboys will begin to hyperventilate only after foaming at the mouth and declaring it the next holy grail of online gaming before any details are even made public.

This will, in turn, simultaneously invoke the wrath of fanboys of other IPs, and raise the ire of sensible people everywhere as they become annoyed with fanboy rants. Both the sensibles and the opposing fanboys will be indistinguishable from each other by the new MMO's fanboys, and all will hence be labled "haters" as anyone who has anything less than praises of godliness to sing about this new game will be considered a mortal enemy. When the next new MMO based on a successful IP comes along, the cycle will repeat itself. It is inevitable.

Such is the way of life, my child....such is the way.