Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have Blizzard lost their touch ?

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Originally posted by Crazylike

WoW just got worse and worse, and Diablo 3 is a big heap of crap compared to Diablo 2, which saddens me. Hopefully Blizzard will realize this before making any other games.

you know about constructive critsism and trolling? :)  guess not eh.

next time you make such a statement, maybe give some arguments with it, just a thought ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by jusomdude

No, developers haven't lost their touch... gamers have turned into spoiled little brats.

...this spoiled little brat is having too much fun being spoiled in Skyrim to worry about Diablow 18.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by sleepr27

- The auction house is a great ideia since it's under blizzard supervison. FYI if an auction house didn't exist there would be people selling items in other websites, some people would got scammed, etc. So yeah i support the ideia and i intend to make a few bucks with it.

The auction house is simply another way Blizz is trying to develop another revenue stream. I have no problem with companies making money, but trying to depict the $1.25 per transaction fee as a way to protect the consumer is rather silly. Additionally, does this not also make the game P2W, not on the PvE side (obviously) but in PvP if and when they add this into the game?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Charlizzard

- The auction house is a great ideia since it's under blizzard supervison. FYI if an auction house didn't exist there would be people selling items in other websites, some people would got scammed, etc. So yeah i support the ideia and i intend to make a few bucks with it.

The auction house is simply another way Blizz is trying to develop another revenue stream. I have no problem with companies making money, but trying to depict the $1.25 per transaction fee as a way to protect the consumer is rather silly. Additionally, does this not also make the game P2W, not on the PvE side (obviously) but in PvP if and when they add this into the game?

i agree. there's better ways to get rid of gold sellers. though we know they're always going to be around, there's much more direct means with dealing with them than becoming them.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Is the charge of $1.25 USD per transaction fee to be imposed on the regular in-game AH or some other online WOW AH? This new mechanic might be the early signs of WOW transitioning to a F2P game. We'll see.

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by krea

Some ppl here just tend to burn down everything blizzard related ugh . I think the game is great its not something new but thats what blizzard does do best fine tune and polish . And ppl saying it must be activision that they dont like the game and that they are rushing it are realy looking into things that are not their. If they would just go for fast cash the game would been released ages ago and we would be playing version 5 or so .

I started playing Blizz games in 1996.  Can't say I am happy with the games they make today and as a result I no longer buy their games.  But, plenty of people are and they make a ton of cash. 

Good for them and too bad for people like me, who know what this company was once capable of.  They cater to a younger/casual type of crowd now.  Back in 1996, warcraft was dark and violent.  Today its KiddieCraft, not warcraft.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by TyvolusNext

Originally posted by colddog04

I think it largely depends on how many millions buy the game.

If 3 million, no. If a mere 1 million, then maybe. If 3 million+, you are completely horrible for asking the question.

I'm not sure how clueless you really are -- but the question has nothing to do with SALES.  More about their ability to still make great games.  try to understand that for a second or two.

I don't know how clueless you really are, but the question has to do with whether or not Blizard "lost their touch." If millions of people buy the game, then it's obvious that it is only a few gamers (possibly like yourself) who have lost their touch while Blizzard continues to have a knack for understanding what makes things great to a wide variety of players.

If it doesn't sell so much, then it would appear they really may have lost their touch. A few whiney gamers won't change it either way.

Try and understand that for a second or two.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by Ausare

No, developers haven't lost their touch... gamers have turned into spoiled little brats.

imageimage

+1

played it whole afternoon and loving it....the crafting is ok, the story is kinda meh (for the beta content al least, maybe it gets better??) but the darkness Diablo used to be has been captured pretty good omho.

glad i pre-ordered and will be enjoying it for a long time......hopefully the next expansion already has more classes but its enough for now imo.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by oubers

imageimage

Apparently it's unacceptable to expect forward momentum in terms of quality & depth to a product. Apparently, it's completely acceptable to dumb down a previous product to the point that a 4yr old can play it successfully without any thought, challenge, or acceptable risk. 

It seems the spoiled brats are the ones throwing this line around.

Diablo 3 is crap, get over yourself.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Yes, and have become greedy and lazy.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Who decides when a game is great? The mmorpg.com community? If so, then ffxiv and swtor were masterpieces... before release.

• ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113

Sales don't mean a thing in terms of quality. It just means there are a lot of retarded people out there. If sales meant anything then Justin Beiber and Call of Duty are the greatest things on Earth.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by adam_nox

Who decides when a game is great? The mmorpg.com community? If so, then ffxiv and swtor were masterpieces... before release.

you could add every game to that list, why single out those 2?

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Apparently it's unacceptable to expect forward momentum in terms of quality & depth to a product. Apparently, it's completely acceptable to dumb down a previous product to the point that a 4yr old can play it successfully without any thought, challenge, or acceptable risk. 

This reminds me of the American school system. Let's dumb down everything so that kids don't have to put any effort into their school work and actually learn anything.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869

Diablo 3 will sell millions and no. It is a great game and that is the reason it will sell millions. The "Blizzard" title alone means brand loyalty; something which is not earned by producing poor products. You may not like it, but they are still one of the best gaming companies out there. Sure, opinions vary, but the fact of the matter is that money is what matters in this world.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Originally posted by oubers

imageimage

no no YOU get over yourself.....let's watch the sales numbers......isnt that where success is measured with on these forums??

If this turns out to sell 2 to 3 million copy's then EVERY game on this site is crap to you huh?

Maybe YOU make us a game if you can do it better huh?

djeeezz, some wil love it and some wil like other games.....stop trolling man.

Originally posted by ace5572

Sales don't mean a thing in terms of quality. It just means there are a lot of retarded people out there. If sales meant anything then Justin Beiber and Call of Duty are the greatest things on Earth.

Justin Bieber and Call of Duty games have not lost touch with their playerbase. Or perhaps Justin Bieber has now lost touch because he is likely not selling as much as he used to.

Besides, Justin Bieber is one of the greatest singers in the history of music. An undeniable fact.

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

It's not a bad game, it's just lackluster as a diablo title.

Even if you ignore stuff that might be beta/demo related (the insane regen rates for example), it's still rather boring. Most of the interesting features have been killed of, the dealbreaker for me are the missing stats, (too) limited skillslots and the CD when switching skills. Also some odd changes, like your char no longer equipping items into empty slots when you pick one up.

The only thing I actually liked was the Blacksmith. His lvl is accountwide, so you only have to upgrade him once, and can do so from any char you got. But since it is a Blizzard game he won't be relevant after ~50% of the game or so.

..It feels like DiabloMobileTM.

Pass on the initial release, might pick it up later if my dislike for Bnet2.0 isn't stopping me.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

If 3 million, no. If a mere 1 million, then maybe. If 3 million+, you are completely horrible for asking the question.

I'm not sure how clueless you really are -- but the question has nothing to do with SALES.  More about their ability to still make great games.  try to understand that for a second or two.

I don't know how clueless you really are, but the question has to do with whether or not Blizard "lost their touch." If millions of people buy the game, then it's obvious that it is only a few gamers (possibly like yourself) who have lost their touch while Blizzard continues to have a knack for understanding what makes things great to a wide variety of players.

If it doesn't sell so much, then it would appear they really may have lost their touch. A few whiney gamers won't change it either way.

Things change. The market is different now. Companies that wants to make money will have to adapt and give people what they want. But some people will not change. There is always a minority that refuse. They will continue to prefer the old ideas, the old products, the old habits and so on. And will always talk about the "good old days". How much better everything was x years ago. How stupid people in general are today. How evil companies have become. Today all games are bad. They dont make them like before...

But its not a big surprise. And I think games could be more complex and have a much steeper learning curve 10 or 20 years ago. Because playing games was not all that mainstream. And today they really are making games for the mainstream market. Big difference. And games needs to be more streamlined and easy to get started. And this is why people that like "the good old days" get frustrated and think these games are bad. And will often prefer niche games if they can find anything at all that is good enough. A big company cant afford to make games like that.

I mean..maybe D3 will sell millions of copies. But it will perhaps not satisfie some of the niche markets that wants games based on ideas that was common 15 years ago.

Originally posted by Hurvart

Things change. The market is different now. Companies that wants to make money will have to adapt and give people what they want. But some people will not change. There is always a minority that refuse. They will continue to prefer the old ideas, the old products, the old habits and so on. And will always talk about the "good old days". How much better everything was x years ago. How stupid people in general are today. How evil companies have become. Today all games are bad. They dont make them like before...

But its not a big surprise. And I think games could be more complex and have a much steeper learning curve 10 or 20 years ago. Because playing games was not all that mainstream. And today they really are making games for the mainstream market. Big difference. And games needs to be more streamlined and easy to get started. And this is why people that like "the good old days" get frustrated and think these games are bad. And will often prefer niche games if they can find anything at all that is good enough. A big company cant afford to make games like that.

I mean..maybe D3 will sell millions of copies. But it will perhaps not satisfie some of the niche markets that wants games based on ideas that was common 15 years ago.

I understand what you're saying.

I know Blizzard used to constantly talk about their "easy to learn, difficult to master" design philosophy. That and they always talked about starting the game with a ton of depth and then removing things that were extraneous to the system. I think they are holding true to the way they have always designed games and people see it as dumbing down.

I just think it's a bit different in a few ways but is basically the same progression based loot grinder it always was. 10 years ago Diablo 2 was a pretty ok game in my opinion. It's always fascinated me that so many people herald it as some amazing achievement in gaming. There wasn't an incredible amount of complexity then and there isn't an incredible amount of complexity now.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

Originally posted by 43%burnt

This sums up my impressions of D3 as well.

I wasn't expecting much because of the direction I saw Blizzard going in (dumbing down content in order to cater to the ADD instant gratification low challenge crowd) but still went in with an open mind. I had some fun playing around with the new classes, but the story wasn't as interesting, the atmosphere wasn't as rich/had a different aesthetic from the other Diablo games (not necessarily a bad thing for everyone), and the maps were extremely linear and essentially showed you where to go. Then there's the lack of meaningful character development choices and the game's extremely easy default difficulty...

I'm going to keep playing today just to see if things end up improving at all, but as of right now I'm not holding out hope. 

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

Dunno why people still make this question "Why blizzard lost their magic!?"

Ill tell ya why.

Bliizard were sold to Activion after Burning Crusade expansion in World of Warcraft, the designer and dev teams left in this time, and replaced by new designer and dev "promises" in the field. Wrath of the lich king was made by activion, wotlk was not in the original team future plans.

In the middle of Diablo 3 project the original diablo series lead designer left, after a week or so they announced the Real Money Auction House, coincidence!? i bet its not.

So basically the company that makes guitar hero and such its the same that makes your uber epic diablo title.

Flame on fanboys.

Peace.

Beta tester maniac

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Originally posted by 43%burnt

Even if you ignore stuff that might be beta/demo related (the insane regen rates for example), it's still rather boring. Most of the interesting features have been killed of, the dealbreaker for me are the missing stats, (too) limited skillslots and the CD when switching skills. Also some odd changes, like your char no longer equipping items into empty slots when you pick one up.

The only thing I actually liked was the Blacksmith. His lvl is accountwide, so you only have to upgrade him once, and can do so from any char you got. But since it is a Blizzard game he won't be relevant after ~50% of the game or so.

You don't have any proper arguments, though, besides "I personally don't like it" and "these things I'm used to are gone".

It's not any different than the DI - > DII transition. There were some huge changes there (despite it being the same company...). Nobody died.

And your last sentence is just stupid. What does...

Eh. I'm losing IQ points here.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by berlight

Dunno why people still make this question "Why blizzard lost their magic!?"

Ill tell ya why.

Bliizard were sold to Activion after Burning Crusade expansion in World of Warcraft, the designer and dev teams left in this time, and replaced by new designer and dev "promises" in the field. Wrath of the lich king was made by activion, wotlk was not in the original team future plans.

In the middle of Diablo 3 project the original diablo series lead designer left, after a week or so they announced the Real Money Auction House, coincidence!? i bet its not.

So basically the company that makes guitar hero and such its the same that makes your uber epic diablo title.

Flame on fanboys.

Peace.

I would correct all in inaccuracies and assumptions in your post but I feel my effort would be wasted on you /bye