Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat: TERA v. GW2. Your thoughts?

Comments

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

I just can't stand the animations in gw2. feeling like im iceskating almost immediatly ruined the game for me. thankfully the RvR is worth the one time purchase.

I still dont see why people are comparing the two because Tera from a technologicl stand point put WAY more work into there combat then GW2. The physics and reactive effects and animations of Tera are what single player monster hunter games strive for. Tera has mastered it in mmo form imo.

Again, I do not deny I am biased. Biased in the fact that I am currently playing Tera and i DO NOT have the full version of GW2 to experience. So is my judegement unfair. Sure. I don't think much is going to change combat-wise in gw2 though. BUT OMG I HOPE THEY GET RID OF THAT STUPID ICESKATING!!!!! ARE WE ALL CONTORTIONISTS?!?! WHERE IS THAT IN THE GW2 LORE LOL!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by deziwright

I just can't stand the animations in gw2. feeling like im iceskating almost immediatly ruined the game for me. thankfully the RvR is worth the one time purchase.

I still dont see why people are comparing the two because Tera from a technologicl stand point put WAY more work into there combat then GW2. The physics and reactive effects and animations of Tera are what single player monster hunter games strive for. Tera has mastered it in mmo form imo.

Again, I do not deny I am biased. Biased in the fact that I am currently playing Tera and i DO NOT have the full version of GW2 to experience. So is my judegement unfair. Sure. I don't think much is going to change combat-wise in gw2 though. BUT OMG I HOPE THEY GET RID OF THAT STUPID ICESKATING!!!!! ARE WE ALL CONTORTIONISTS?!?! WHERE IS THAT IN THE GW2 LORE LOL!

I have no idea what you're talking about with the iceskating. Never felt anything even remotely like that.

I'd also disagree with the amount of work put into combat. GW2 has an extremely intricate, very advanced combat for an MMO. The days of rotations, dps meters, specific roles... they're all cast aside for a system that actually requires skill and paying attention to the fight so you know what to cast and when. The amount of work in balancing such a system must have been huge, but as a result, from what I've seen, there's no one profession that's dominant over others. Anyone can beat anyone... it's about the skill you bring more than the skills you bring.

Again, I'm sure Tera combat is great in that environment, but when you consider the dramatically different systems they're built around then you should really realize that there are no valid means of comparison.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

I pfefer mobility from lv 1 not unlocked via glyphs or whatever.

I don't play melee so TERA's Warrior/Slayer is out of the question.

Rangers are fairly mobile too however I found the combat with

them boring after a while.

In the end GW2's combat is more appealing to my personal taste.

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Its always about personal tastes, im sure some people think Final Fantasy series have the better combat system while i think its just s****.

I find GW2 much more fluid and complex than Tera's so i enjoy it more, i even enjoy much more the C9 combat system ( which i think is the best one atm in the market ) and im sure most of the people in this forum hate it.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Ithink both combat system are grt but i like pvp and GW2 pvp its more interesting for me so i vote for GW2

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Both TERA and GW2 combat is deeply rooted in the holy trinity which means ultimately both games still play a lot like WoW. You have to have tank + healer to do group content combined with some min/maxed DPS. This is New?? Where have we seen this before? It is like every other MMO game made in the last decade. A little dodging and aiming doesn't change much. Calling this action combat is the biggest joke ever. If you want real action combat then play Vindictus where there is no healers and no holy trinity.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Capox

What I have experienced:

First off I played Tera before the BWE of GW2. I was really really hyped about GW2 and watched over 100+ hours of YouTube content about this game. Tera however.... I came across by coincidence.I thought well lets pre-purchase this game since it looked nice on graphics and the combat system was refreshing for me to say the least. I first participated in the closed beta of Tera and I have to say that I had a lot of fun, with the game itself and the community in the game. Very helpful peeps! So the beta was over and I thought well I like this game, this I will be playing until GW2 is released. 

Yeeeaaah GW2 BWE is started. I joined a guild way before the BWE begun and we started playing. After 3 hours non stop login issues and DC's we finally logged in successful :P. Then the slaps in the face begun:

1. The performance of this game is straight-out CRAP. I run a 2600k @ 5.1 ghz and two 7970's on water oc'd to 1300/1600, a beast i would say. This game (Beta) runs @ 35 fps average utilizing 30% max of my machine. Before anyone starts bragging it is Beta, I know that but if they launch this game in a couple of months IT WILL NOT significantly improve, mark my words. I have enough experience with this shizzle. Also lmao when ppl say they do this on purpose hehehe..... what? You choose to slap ppl's faces on purpose so they go off to other games? mmm yeah I can see the logic of that.... NOT.

2. I was really really positive about the fact that GW2 is skill based. The scaling to lvl 80 in PvP sounded like music in my ears. So after 2 hours PvE I needed to test the PvP. SLAP SLAP SLAP.......... boring as .....[fill it in yourself]. 

3. The personal story OMG. This is another "Unique Selling Point". Well it is hyped big time IMO. It is instanced all the way and it feels fake and clunky. 

4. WvW?! I was so waiting for this massive massive bg where servers compete................well it is one big lagfest where everybody is just hitting random skills because everybody is running like 10 fps and can't see sh*t what is happening. It just doesn't feel like a organised battle when there are over 50 ppl involved. 

I can go on 4 ever unfortunately but this is just my expierence. The fact that I played Tera before GW2 made me realize that Tera is the game for me. It is much more polished and the combat system is better 4 me. Also I think that Tera is a good hybrid of gear and skill based. It's just my opinion and I really think everybody should determine based on OWN EXPERIENCE. I just can't stand ppl judging one game or another if they lack any experience. I was a true GW fan but now?? No sorry............. Elvis left the building. 

(I'm not a native speaker of English so sry if I made stupid mistakes in the WOT above! Peace and have fun with either of the games.)

1. My computer is very much weaker than yours and it ran very very well. Saying that, we at least know that it runs on a crappy pc. Of course by release it will run on higher end systems. They don't have a release day so saying a couple of months is speculaiton.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Novusod

Both TERA and GW2 combat is deeply rooted in the holy trinity which means ultimately both games still play a lot like WoW. You have to have tank + healer to do group content combined with some min/maxed DPS. This is New?? Where have we seen this before? It is like every other MMO game made in the last decade. A little dodging and aiming doesn't change much. Calling this action combat is the biggest joke ever. If you want real action combat then play Vindictus where there is no healers and no holy trinity.

Umm GW2 doesn't have the holy trinity and healers/tanks either, but you either already knew that or are simply ignoring it.

You do know combat in GW2 is not "deeply rooted in the holy trinity" right? http://www.arena.net/blog/jon-peters-talks-combat

Have you played or read anything about the game?

Originally posted by Kuppa

What I have experienced:

First off I played Tera before the BWE of GW2. I was really really hyped about GW2 and watched over 100+ hours of YouTube content about this game. Tera however.... I came across by coincidence.I thought well lets pre-purchase this game since it looked nice on graphics and the combat system was refreshing for me to say the least. I first participated in the closed beta of Tera and I have to say that I had a lot of fun, with the game itself and the community in the game. Very helpful peeps! So the beta was over and I thought well I like this game, this I will be playing until GW2 is released. 

Yeeeaaah GW2 BWE is started. I joined a guild way before the BWE begun and we started playing. After 3 hours non stop login issues and DC's we finally logged in successful :P. Then the slaps in the face begun:

1. The performance of this game is straight-out CRAP. I run a 2600k @ 5.1 ghz and two 7970's on water oc'd to 1300/1600, a beast i would say. This game (Beta) runs @ 35 fps average utilizing 30% max of my machine. Before anyone starts bragging it is Beta, I know that but if they launch this game in a couple of months IT WILL NOT significantly improve, mark my words. I have enough experience with this shizzle. Also lmao when ppl say they do this on purpose hehehe..... what? You choose to slap ppl's faces on purpose so they go off to other games? mmm yeah I can see the logic of that.... NOT.

2. I was really really positive about the fact that GW2 is skill based. The scaling to lvl 80 in PvP sounded like music in my ears. So after 2 hours PvE I needed to test the PvP. SLAP SLAP SLAP.......... boring as .....[fill it in yourself]. 

3. The personal story OMG. This is another "Unique Selling Point". Well it is hyped big time IMO. It is instanced all the way and it feels fake and clunky. 

4. WvW?! I was so waiting for this massive massive bg where servers compete................well it is one big lagfest where everybody is just hitting random skills because everybody is running like 10 fps and can't see sh*t what is happening. It just doesn't feel like a organised battle when there are over 50 ppl involved. 

I can go on 4 ever unfortunately but this is just my expierence. The fact that I played Tera before GW2 made me realize that Tera is the game for me. It is much more polished and the combat system is better 4 me. Also I think that Tera is a good hybrid of gear and skill based. It's just my opinion and I really think everybody should determine based on OWN EXPERIENCE. I just can't stand ppl judging one game or another if they lack any experience. I was a true GW fan but now?? No sorry............. Elvis left the building. 

(I'm not a native speaker of English so sry if I made stupid mistakes in the WOT above! Peace and have fun with either of the games.)

1. My computer is very much weaker than yours and it ran very very well. Saying that, we at least know that it runs on a crappy pc. Of course by release it will run on higher end systems. They don't have a release day so saying a couple of months is speculaiton.

1. as Kuppa already said there might be something wrong with ur pc cause ur pc is WAY better than mine and i played GW2 with NO PROBLEM

Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

What I have experienced:

1. as Kuppa already said there might be something wrong with ur pc cause ur pc is WAY better than mine and i played GW2 with NO PROBLEM

I don't think there is something wrong with his pc. Its definately the game that needs work. But, its better to have a lowest common denominator working, like my pc, and then iron out optimizations for other PCs

What I have experienced:

I don't think there is something wrong with his pc. Its definately the game that needs work. But, its better to have a lowest common denominator working, like my pc, and then iron out optimizations for other PCs

True Story

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Known issues with AMD cards last BWE.

I have a 6870 1GB GDDR5 and a 4.0ghz quad OC'd with high speed Kingston ram (8GB) on a SSD and the game ran like crap at anything over medium settings.

They haven't yet worked with Nvidia / AMD to really iron out the driver support for the engine yet.

Nvidia was still > AMD from all accounts, though the game was currently configured to hit CPU hard and not multi-core.

As well as zero Xfire/SLI support yet.

There are issues that will be corrected before launch.

I remember TOR beta it wouldn't even run at all until I downloaded the latest AMD driver package that had released 2 days before the beta started.

• CeromusCeromus Member UncommonPosts: 114

If you are just talking Combat then Tera > GW2 if my opinion.

I played both an elementalist and a thief in GW2, in Tera I have played a Slayer and a Mystic.

I can see how some aspects of GW2 combat appeal to people but to be perfectly honest I feel WoW did both the mage and the rogue better than GW2.  Mostly the mage though but keep in mind I am not bringing pve challenge into my discussion obviously a mage in pve is childs play in comparison to an elementalist in pve in GW2.

Certain posts here lead me to believe the people claiming to play Tera did not play it long.  I am no Tera expect but I have put in approximately 105 hours of play time and I read a lot about it in between clients at my job.  Just 2 main things I wanted to mention.

1.  Animation Locking - This is kind of a problem but I think necessary to keep people from kiting you endlessly.  Now one thing thats important to note is stacking attack speed can play a big role in improving the animation lock issue.

2.  PvE difficulty - I don't think this should come into play when comparing combat but there is no doubt that GW2 has much more difficult normal PvE.  However once you get to BAM's in Tera there is a massive difficulty gap.  A skilled player depending on class can solo some of the easier bams but it may take a while....HA HA I solo'd a BAM Tera is super easy!....and then they try a different bam later on and as they staring at their screen in black and white wonder what just happened they realize not all BAMs are equal.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by BadSpock

Umm GW2 doesn't have the holy trinity and healers/tanks either, but you either already knew that or are simply ignoring it.

I think he sacrificed himself to make Tera look bad and GW2 good.  /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

In TERA, you have to stop in order to do anything like fire a bow or cast a spell. You don't in GW2, hence why I will be playing that and not TERA. Plus I prefer GW2's art style, I don't care much for the Anime type of TERA. 

Originally posted by Amjoco

Another person that post without searching or learn enough of games.... 

For God sake GW2 is not a wow clone u prob want it to be but its isnt and will not be.

Originally posted by CallsignVega

In TERA, you have to stop in order to do anything like fire a bow or cast a spell. You don't in GW2, hence why I will be playing that and not TERA. Plus I prefer GW2's art style, I don't care much for the Anime type of TERA. 

Not all spells

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

Just level 12 in Tera right now but I must have missed some memos. Based on the discussion in this thread you get a view that the combat systems are different. Hint: They are bloody identical apart from the fact that you are movement locked in Tera - and that the Tera engine runs with higher FPS right now. That is it.

Two MMOs without tab-targetting, where avoidance is key etc.

I cannot for my world understand why Tera has choosen to balance combat around the ground lock instead of DPS output and cc though.

Originally posted by Sikhander

Just level 12 in Tera right now but I must have missed some memos. Based on the discussion in this thread you get a view that the combat systems are different. Hint: They are bloody identical apart from the fact that you are movement locked in Tera - and that the Tera engine runs with higher FPS right now. That is it.

Two MMOs without tab-targetting, where avoidance is key etc.

I cannot for my world understand why Tera has choosen to balance combat around the ground lock instead of DPS output and cc though.

Only thing I can think of is its much easier to escape a #v1 gank.

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by Amjoco

I think he sacrificed himself to make Tera look bad and GW2 good.  /shrug

This is absolutely hilarious. "Both games are deeply rooted in the holy trinity" roflol. One game most assuredly is not. There are no healers or holy trinity in GW2. I'm not sure how you even made it on this site without knowing that. This is one of those rare situations where I believe both parties can sit back and laugh. Lay down your flamethrowers. Put your +20 flameshields down and leave your troll poison at the door.

Pick up a drink, sit down, and share in a laugh.

• Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106

Regarding GW2's run and gun combat currently, I expect we will see many changes in the coming months that change this to some degree as the melee vs ranged gap is well documented everywhere after this first test weekend.  They have some serious balancing to do and either abilities are going to get nerfed hard, or mechanics are going to get changed, or both at some point.  Will be interesting to see where it ends up.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Zen_Blade

Regarding GW2's run and gun combat currently, I expect we will see many changes in the coming months that change this to some degree as the melee vs ranged gap is well documented everywhere after this first test weekend.  They have some serious balancing to do and either abilities are going to get nerfed hard, or mechanics are going to get changed, or both at some point.  Will be interesting to see where it ends up.

I agree, it's going to be great to see what the do with all the complaints.  GW2 fans didn't disappoint on the amount of criticisms to the game that are eventually going to benefit us all!  Very exciting to see progress in motion, and everyone knows ANet truly listens.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

First very few people actuallyknew what they were doing, the beta was only until lvl 30 0r so although most didn't even reach level 10 and those that played competitive pvp and got bumped simply had no time to evaluate how all the skills, traits, runes, weapons, sygils, etc, interact.

Second, imo, a big part of it was a mental thing - we are used to go bash people in the face with our warriors and stay there in the frontline all the time. You do this in GW2 and you die. Once the mobs start turning your way you better run away, because if they start hitting you, you will die really quickly against multiple mobs. There is no dude that has the sole job of keeping you alive while you soak up hits.

Performance and particle effects dificult perception of mobs actions, something that is worsened by the fact everyone is unfamiliar with the animations of the game, making it easier to stay engaged for too long and end up fighting for survival..

What we can't forget is that melee deals way more damage than ranged, so they can afford to break action witjout being penalized in dps terms and once you reach level 7 you can always switch to a ranged weapon for less downtime.

Third, in other games when melee swings their sword they stop moving, allowing their target to increase distance, in GW2 they can swing while moving, so their prey can use skills and attack while moving but so can they, so there is really no difference compared to games where you stop to do an action. It still is based on criples, stuns, increased movement speed, teleports, etc.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

First very few people actuallyknew what they were doing, the beta was only until lvl 30 0r so although most didn't even reach level 10 and those that played competitive pvp and got bumped simply had no time to evaluate how all the skills, traits, runes, weapons, sygils, etc, interact.

Second, imo, a big part of it was a mental thing - we are used to go bash people in the face with our warriors and stay there in the frontline all the time. You do this in GW2 and you die. Once the mobs start turning your way you better run away, because if they start hitting you, you will die really quickly against multiple mobs. There is no dude that has the sole job of keeping you alive while you soak up hits.

Performance and particle effects dificult perception of mobs actions, something that is worsened by the fact everyone is unfamiliar with the animations of the game, making it easier to stay engaged for too long and end up fighting for survival..

What we can't forget is that melee deals way more damage than ranged, so they can afford to break action witjout being penalized in dps terms and once you reach level 7 you can always switch to a ranged weapon for less downtime.

Third, in other games when melee swings their sword they stop moving, allowing their target to increase distance, in GW2 they can swing while moving, so their prey can use skills and attack while moving but so can they, so there is really no difference compared to games where you stop to do an action. It still is based on criples, stuns, increased movement speed, teleports, etc.

I echo most of your sentiments. I played from the perspective of a future professional player and the PvP between ranged and melee was perfect. You don't backpeddle as fast as you do running forward. This means as long as you can dodge the ranged snares you can easily catch up and cripple the ranged classes. It all comes down to skill though. If the ranger has good footwork, for example, they can snare dumb-founded melee rushers failry frequently and keep range. However, if melee characters land their own snares and dodge the oponents they can quickly, QUICKLY, close distance and dismantle ranged fighters.

There is actually no balancing needed, I believe. My time with competitive PvP (played mostly structured PvP) was almost flawless as far as balance goes. I'm more concerned about when they'll implement casting tools, but thats another story.

Melee deals, on average, triple the damage ranged does. Every class has melee and ranged so typically battles start ranged. The intentions from there vary. If the character is melee focused then he will use his ranged snares and cripples and blinds to close distance while dodging traps and oponent snares. Once distance is closed it takes the ranged character a fatal few seconds, usually, to give up on ranged and switch to melee. From that point the battle is over. You cannot kite perpetually in this game because, again, you run faster moving forward than backwards. About twice as fast would be accurate. You move even slower backwards while firing your bow, though your still moving.

Ability to keep range is directly proportionate to player skill based on if they can land their snares and cripples and if they can dodge adequetly. Interestingly enough all ranged characters that played our team thought that ranged was underpowered. They barely landed any damage on us at all. It wasn't that ranged was underpowered, it was that we knew how to counter them and it always came down to who could dodge better and who had the better aim with snares and cripples. We got very good at dodging these things and, as a thief, it took me all of two seconds to catch up to any ranged class. I had utility skills that allowed me multiple dodges in a row as well as a crippling dagger throw. I didn't even have to switch to a ranged weapon. I'd throw my cripple, dodge all of their futile attempts to slow me down as they backpeddled desperately and eviscerate them with my fast damage daggers.

Again, people just need to..well..learn to play. To put it bluntly. There is no reason beyond playing poorly that a character moving twice as fast can't close distance.