Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls: Knights of The Old Republic, or at least that's what the screenshots look like

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't get where people are getting wow clone from.

The description makes it sound daoc clone.

Does wow have 3 sided large scale pvp?
    Does wow have open dungeons?
    Do you see any mention of Esports nonsense?
  • ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

Bleh... Another theme park with classes and boring fights.

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Originally posted by tasasas

How they did not make it a first-person view game is beyond me. I'm so disappointed.

The majority of people I've been talking about this game during these last two days said something like "what?!, not a FPV TES?! I won't touch it with a ten-foot pole"... maybe they are wrong, maybe I am. The point is, if Bethesda had asked the fans they would have realized what a huge mistake it is... I only hope history doesn't repeat itself this time.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Originally posted by Gorwe

Yes, there is mention of ESports. In the paragraph where they talk about PvP they say: "There will be a place for ESport PvP crowd".

And they mention WoW too often for me to be content. It's quite opposite in fact. The mere fact that WoW is mentioned repeatedly has left Bad taste in my mouth...

And seeing how Mythic actually hurt me with WAR, Therefore I am associating them with Bad games...

This (also SWToR got mentioned many times). Don't get me wrong, WoW is a fine game (haven't tried SWToR), it is just that those games mechanics don't fit what I would have expected in a TES MMO.

None of these mythic and origin guys at zenimax worked on war. They left before war.

So ultima online and daoc as prior mmos, 2 of the best mmos ever, I don't get why people think it will be some swtor abomination, these guys put out 2 great mmos before. Bioware didn't, also bioware had ea looking over their shoulder going "bring me wow subs" (as did mythic with war)
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

the leaked images bring Rift to mind; thats way below Skyrim's level  of detail. Unless they spend the entire year till release polishing the GFX style and bringing it on par with Skyrim, I don't think they'll manage to capture much of the ES audience.

Also, tab-target combat, WTF?

• Wombatninja5Wombatninja5 Member Posts: 5

The main problem i saw with the linked info was that the whole reason this game is coming into fruition is

"the elder scrolls franchise's adaptability to the MMO space has been clear to everyone since MORROWIND BROKE INTO THE MAINSTREAM IN 2002 TO THE TUNE OF OVER 4 MILLION LIFETIME SALES"

So by this logic any game that is successful should be able to adapt their universe to the mmo world?....highly doubtable...imo the success from this game is because of its nature... and if you wanted to enhance that experience by adding cooperative play then it should only be added within the scope of the existing universe...too many mechanics in this game will break when adding other players tho.....

how sneaky are you on your own?.....now how sneaky do you think you'll be with a 10yr old strapped to your waist.....exactly...

validity?

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Originally posted by Cypt1

Eh, after reading that article, my initial doubts and concerns about this game have pretty much been confirmed. It might end up being top-notch for an MMO (e.g., just as Rift was), but this will hardly be the same as the Elder Scrolls games that we've previously played. Surprised? Nah. That's what I suspected it would be from the start. Disappointed? Yeah, I am.

I can't even begin to fathom an Elder Scrolls game without player housing or the ability to transform into a vampire. I'm sure a little innovation (something the MMO genre desperately needs) could have ensured those features would be included. Instead, the developers are conforming to the genre standards that are responsible for its overal mundanity and stagnation. Why would I leave my current MMOs for this game? That's a question I'm asking myself now, and if I'm still asking myself that once we're closer to launch, then I definitely won't be giving it a try. I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy this game, but having played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim obsessively, based on what we've seen in that article (assuming it's genuine), the discrepancies between the MMO and the previous three games are far too extensive for me personally.

I hope they change the art direction, too, while they're at it. If I had been shown those screenshots with no prior knowledge of which IP they represented, I never would have guessed it was an Elder Scrolls game. I'm not criticizing the polygon count or special effects, either--I'm talking about the stylistic elements represented in those pictures. Previous TES games--including the much older Morrowind--emanated a macabre, gritty aura that was simultaneously enchantingly captivating with its grim beauty. There are a multitude of fantasy styles to choose from, and the one depicted in those screenshots does not feel like the Elder Scrolls series I've come to know over the years.

And I'm not even touching on other elements, such as "hotbars" and defined classes. You can slap the Elder Scrolls label on this game and use the same vernacular/terminology that the other ES games employed, but that doesn't mean the end result will be remotely similar. That said, the game is still in its developmental infancy. While I won't unrealistically hope for changes that aren't gonna happen, what we see here could easily change between now and release, to a degree. If it changes for the better, I will consider playing it. As of now, I'm not holding my breath.

If I sound jaded, it's only becase I've been let down so many times due to my once optimistic naivete. I swore the Old Republic was the last MMO I'd allow to disappoint me. Given TES and KotOR are two of the series that entranced me as a teenager, to see them mutate into something entirely different once they became MMOs is a bitter pill for me to swallow.

Well said.  I couldn't agree more with your comments.  I would like to stay optimistic but I'm not sure there are any big developers left in the MMO genre that have the guts to stick to what made the single player games in this series successful.  Giving players any freedom in an MMO seems to frighten developers these days.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by rojo6934

those pictures look nice, but look inferior to Skyrim. IF they release TES online looking like that i expect it F2P or at least B2P. Only

A MMO cant look like a SPRPG, live with it.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

My only hope is that this is Daoc 2 in an elder scrolls skin.  If it is as lackluster as rift, swtor, etc, then it can go to hell. 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by hikaru77

Originally posted by rojo6934

those pictures look nice, but look inferior to Skyrim. IF they release TES online looking like that i expect it F2P or at least B2P. Only

A MMO cant look like a SPRPG, live with it.

Most mmos look like single player rpgs, what are you talking about?  Most games don't look that great period, in any genre.  Some asian mmos look close to the quality of skyrim, but either for market appeal to lowest common denominator, or out of lack of investment or skill, we don't get anything like it in american mmos. 

• mmorpgmanermmorpgmaner Member UncommonPosts: 241

Are you seriously worried about graphics? If that isnt the biggest pile of Carebear BS i've heard in a while!

One word; Content.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    They are just basically, using the elder scroll name and universe.. Sure there is gonna be reference here and there.. But just like ToR they are trying to capitalize on the license, but its good they own the license, so hopefully they won't need a big sub base to running..

The pics look good and i'm sure they are able to use the engine better then tor did as its now more complete etc.

some person want a evolution in mmo but that won't happen, because the risk factor involve is too great.. Stray too far from the norm, you risk a faster rate of decline and closing down.. Be too close to norm, you risk people getting bored and move on quickly.. If I was these guys, have a cash shop that provide trivial stuff at launch, such as Xp boost, Weap and armor skins etc, all those stuff help lessen the burden when you start loosing subs and you'll be missing out on the generation Now club..

Here's hoping this turns well and not rushed..
  • Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Originally posted by Creslin321

At this point I am extremely cautious of this game for one key reason.  From what I understand, it's not being made by Bethesda, it's being made by some development studio that their parent company (Zenimax) owns, and the lead (Matt Firor) previously worked at Mythic.

Sooooo....it's essentially just some studio making an MMORPG that has the Elder Scrolls IP.  Yeah...I'll believe this will be good when I see it.

Ditto; another thread earlier revealed that ESO will have hotbar combat, typical dungeons and raids, and no player housing. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• PapoyePapoye Member Posts: 15

It look like a bad dream,where is the spirit  of Elder scrolls and where is the is spirit of role playing games...Just another fast-food MMO.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

There is a good thing about all this.  At least Bethesda's name will not be associated with this TES MMO.  They're going to keep doing what they've always been doing.

In other threads were the idea of a TES MMORPG occuring, I said it'd have a decent shot if the developers somehow made the theme and feel of the SP titles translate over to an MMORPG style.  It would be difficult even with Bethesda itself, but now some random dudes are doing it?  No.  Not going to go well.  The gameplay will be completely unlike the open nature of TES games, and this title will follow the current, widely used form of design in MMORPGs.

This TES MMORPG will be the Anti-Elder Scrolls Game.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Show me the mmo that looks as good as the witcher2
  • Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

I rly dont care about graphs,anything thats just not cartoon fits to me

I just care if it will have more sandbox contents than AA,if not its pointless to even discuss about the game

1- Sandbox

2- Single server huge world

3- Skill based

4- No class

5- World pvp with anti-gank system

6- TSW questing system

Requirements to a sucessfull mmo these days

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120

The mountains look like SWTOR.

Looks like SWTOR.....so it looks like FAIL so far.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by bartoni33

I'm sorry but what is it exactly you are complaining about?

Is it the stunning SS? The beautiful world shown in them? The very stylish characters? The font the article is printed in? Not seeing any issue here. Or are you wanting a text-only MUD?

this is what I was about to go on. What is the OP complaining about?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

fuck.

those screen shots look like Rift.....fuuuuucccckkkkkk!

i do not want to play Rift with a TES lore. i want to play TES with friends ffs.

• yumpinyiminiyumpinyimini Member UncommonPosts: 81

Originally posted by kishe

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

Which engine are they using? (I will probably be flamed for saying this but that would be tight if they used Darkfall's so that we could bunny-hop!).

It looks like something definitely worth checking out and just because of being part of the Elder Scrolls I imagine that it will make its money back pretty fast even if people don't like it because really . .. what PC gamer wouldn't want to try it?

I wish that they had more details on the PVP. If its not full-loot hopefully they have something else that I can get a rush about (like having thousands of infamy in Vanguard so you cannot die once or lose weeks of play but its only for bragging rights).

Hero Engine.

That explains the cheap look , and dull, flat lighting of the graphics.  Every game I've seen made with the Hero engine has that same low budget look to it.  The Hero engine is a cancer on the MMO gaming world.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Originally posted by xmenty

Graphics and armor look more like Kingdom Of Amalur.

How dare you! Amalur is a beast most hideous. Begone!

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Creslin321

Eh, I would take an amazing game that had a bunch of bugs and crashed over a mediocre game that ran wonderfully any day of the week :).

I dunno, I think that people are getting excited over nothing with this whole ES MMO.  There's a reason that every ES game has been great, and that's because the same core team has worked on all of them.

The MMO though is a totally different team, so the "magic" behind the Elder Scrolls series simply is not there.  The IP doesn't mean anything to me at all.  To me, it's just an "MMO" made by "some unknown dev."

Unkown dev? I guess you never played DAOC or enjoyed RVR. GEtting excited over nothing? Real 3 faction PVP in a world setting rather than server vs server. Headed by a dev who actually knows what RVR is about. Yep nothing to raise an eyebrow about..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Originally posted by Mardukk

Originally posted by Cypt1

Eh, after reading that article, my initial doubts and concerns about this game have pretty much been confirmed. It might end up being top-notch for an MMO (e.g., just as Rift was), but this will hardly be the same as the Elder Scrolls games that we've previously played. Surprised? Nah. That's what I suspected it would be from the start. Disappointed? Yeah, I am.

I can't even begin to fathom an Elder Scrolls game without player housing or the ability to transform into a vampire. I'm sure a little innovation (something the MMO genre desperately needs) could have ensured those features would be included. Instead, the developers are conforming to the genre standards that are responsible for its overal mundanity and stagnation. Why would I leave my current MMOs for this game? That's a question I'm asking myself now, and if I'm still asking myself that once we're closer to launch, then I definitely won't be giving it a try. I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy this game, but having played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim obsessively, based on what we've seen in that article (assuming it's genuine), the discrepancies between the MMO and the previous three games are far too extensive for me personally.

I hope they change the art direction, too, while they're at it. If I had been shown those screenshots with no prior knowledge of which IP they represented, I never would have guessed it was an Elder Scrolls game. I'm not criticizing the polygon count or special effects, either--I'm talking about the stylistic elements represented in those pictures. Previous TES games--including the much older Morrowind--emanated a macabre, gritty aura that was simultaneously enchantingly captivating with its grim beauty. There are a multitude of fantasy styles to choose from, and the one depicted in those screenshots does not feel like the Elder Scrolls series I've come to know over the years.

And I'm not even touching on other elements, such as "hotbars" and defined classes. You can slap the Elder Scrolls label on this game and use the same vernacular/terminology that the other ES games employed, but that doesn't mean the end result will be remotely similar. That said, the game is still in its developmental infancy. While I won't unrealistically hope for changes that aren't gonna happen, what we see here could easily change between now and release, to a degree. If it changes for the better, I will consider playing it. As of now, I'm not holding my breath.

If I sound jaded, it's only becase I've been let down so many times due to my once optimistic naivete. I swore the Old Republic was the last MMO I'd allow to disappoint me. Given TES and KotOR are two of the series that entranced me as a teenager, to see them mutate into something entirely different once they became MMOs is a bitter pill for me to swallow.

Well said.  I couldn't agree more with your comments.  I would like to stay optimistic but I'm not sure there are any big developers left in the MMO genre that have the guts to stick to what made the single player games in this series successful.  Giving players any freedom in an MMO seems to frighten developers these days.

I agree with all this as well.  Where is the innovation here?  TES has so many ideas in it that would completely change what we are used to with MMO's, and yet all they can do it go back to more of the same?

There was even a part to the article that mentioned how all devs these days would love to have their monsters do more than stand around and watch their friends get slaughtered...so does that mean it will be like that as well?

Then we have a lack of Radiant AI, no housing (too hard, they say...have they seen the dozens of MMO's that have housing out there?), and worst of all...classes.  Ugh.

Who else is tired of every new MMO being nothing more than a repeat?

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.