Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera gets better and better

Comments

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Originally posted by oakthornn

wow, guess I did set myself up for those humorous flames by not specifying exactly what I meant in my first post.. But, If you people read my second post in this thread, you'll understand what I meant... So please allow me to reiterate... Maybe after doing so, people will understand what I'm trying to say a little better..

In every MMO I've played, I always used tab/left click to attack.. I've also always been used to using the cursor and left click my mouse mostly to use all of my abilities.... In Tera, there is no option to do this.. But this obviously doesn't bother those gamers who  "prefer" using hotkeys, space bar, tab, f keys, etc  to perform all their abilities instead of highlighting an abilitiy and left clicking..  My point I'm trying to make is this.. I feel there should be an option for those who actually enjoy using the cursor/mouse to left click their abilities.

After playing for about an hour today, I still feel uncomfortable hiting spacebar after a roll to perform an attack and occassionally hitting the F key to perform an attack, while then going back to left clicking your regular normal combo attack.. It feels strange and definitely takes away from my preferred playstyle.. And this is me trying to be nice about the combat system..

With my left hand I'm moving around avoiding the enemy, my right hand is left clicking and right clicking, then all of a sudden I'm hitting spacebar for an attack and hitting F1 for an attack, at the same time also still trying to move/dodge with my left hand.. It's like trying to play the piano for the first time,,, and mastering it...  It just feels clunky and strange.. It's definitely not smooth, to say the least, lol..

Someone above mentioned a mouse with 7 buttons. I may go out and get one of those because If I can pretty much use most of my abilities with one hand and then dodging, moving around avoiding attks with the other hand, at least that would seem more smooth and better...  I'm at least trying to give the game a shot, but people do enjoy bashing others for not enjoying a feature they enjoy...

Go buy a Razer Naga if you want your skills bound to your mouse.  It will make things a LOT easier for you.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Or the Logitec G700. Less uniform button pattern which could be a good or bad thing. Get either one of those and I will be jealous lol.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

I'm using a standard 2 button with middle scroll wheel HP mouse :p    ^_^

I'll head to radio shack and see if they have any multiple button mouse pads..  Maybe then I'll actually enjoy the combat.. Cuz everything else about the game seems pretty cool so far..

Wow, the razer naga mouse sounds awesome.. I may just get that..

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by eccoton

I did say a "bit", Tera will not harm GW2 to much but it has to have ncsoft a bit curious because of the warm response from NA audiences. 

The word is lukewarm, not warm.

I dont think a game with 11 servers (and yes, I know about the instancing letting them support more players in theory...thiis technique has been around since at least eq2 in 2004) can really be qualified as getting a great reception.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by eccoton

I did say a "bit", Tera will not harm GW2 to much but it has to have ncsoft a bit curious because of the warm response from NA audiences. 

The word is lukewarm, not warm.

I dont think a game with 11 servers (and yes, I know about the instancing letting them support more players in theory...thiis technique has been around since at least eq2 in 2004) can really be qualified as getting a great reception.

Every MMO released post WoW has had tons of servers at launch then they just die out after release, I dont really care about the number of servers, as long as I am enjoying the game on my server, I will play with what, 2.5k people at most on a regular basis thats ok for me.

Server numbers do not denominate quality.

• AlakorAlakor Member UncommonPosts: 46

So far TERA is a boring fest copy of Aion i dont think this game will survive a very long time in the western market at all it has typical asian bland graphics, with horribly grinding and borign quests and a button mashing action like combat overall is prolly the worst game in the last year im afraid =(

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I'll head to radio shack and see if they have any multiple button mouse pads..  Maybe then I'll actually enjoy the combat.. Cuz everything else about the game seems pretty cool so far..

I use a naga mouse for my F keys and a belkin n52te for my number keys and movement (it has a Dpad).  It's a great combo for a game like this but the only thing I don't like is the naga is kinda small between the L/R buttons.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by Alakor

So far TERA is a boring fest copy of Aion i dont think this game will survive a very long time in the western market at all it has typical asian bland graphics, with horribly grinding and borign quests and a button mashing action like combat overall is prolly the worst game in the last year im afraid =(

Thank you for that misinformation.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by stayontarget

That is not mis information that is his opinion on how he feels about the game. Mis information would be to say that Tera has no quests, has dynamic events and 3 faction pvp. Rest is his personal likes and dislikes on what actually exists in the game.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Well, Tera is hardly a copy of Aion, besides the similar influences in art. And it's definitely not a button mashing game by any stretch of the imagination.

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by Chrome1980

That is not mis information that is his opinion on how he feels about the game. Mis information would be to say that Tera has no quests, has dynamic events and 3 faction pvp. Rest is his personal likes and dislikes on what actually exists in the game.

Just opinions?! Of course it is not just opinions, you can't make a false statement and then go, "hey it's just an opinion".

* Waves at Pushkina *

Its not misinformation its an opinions based on facts the game IS Aion all over again but without cool flight mechanic and adding some button mashing attacks that execute on the direciton youa r elooking and THAT is

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by komobo

Just opinions?! Of course it is not just opinions, you can't make a false statement and then go, "hey it's just an opinion".

What false statement? that he doesn't like the graphics? the combat? or that the quests are boring? how is that mis information?

Yea, yea, it's Aion, just without factions, without tab targeting, with collision detection, with a seamless world, with a better engine, with BAMs, without flying combat ... just like Aion.

Seriously, Tera is as much as Aion as GW2 is as much as Aion.

There are some people on these forums that all games are like WoW to them. Only in this case all games are like Aion to you.

Originally posted by Xasapis

Yea, yea, it's Aion, just without factions, without tab targeting, with collision detection, with a seamless world, with a better engine, with BAMs, without flying combat ... just like Aion.

So Aion but crappier? gotcha. Seriously the games are very much alike feeling imo, this one instead of flying has wierd combat that takes 4-5 secodns of response time to do an attack ifnront of you and thenw e call it action combat...wow

So Aion but crappier? gotcha. Seriously the games are very much alike feeling imo, this one instead of flying has wierd combat that takes 4-5 secodns of response time to do an attack ifnront of you and thenw e call it action combat...wow

Are you trying to bait people?  I'm sorry but you are totally wrong.  It is very obvious that you have never played the game. 

I'm glad you like Aion, I really do. It's also a highly successful game, second most popular mmoprg worldwide I believe. Still, Tera is different. And you don't have to take my word for it, just look at NCsoft, the makers of Aion. Their answer to Tera is not Aion, it's Blade & Soul. Now, that's a game that is similar to Tera, well, from the early looks at it.

The only reason you don't hear much about B&S these days is because the marketing hype machine of NCsoft is trying to promote GW2 and B&S would be a distraction at this point.

You know what would also be cool about B&S? Since they are basically the same company that is making GW2, they can incorporate good aspects of GW2 into B&S. So imagine B&S with dynamic events for example. Best Tera can do is Rift like events, at least for now. On the other hand, both GW2 and B&S can't achieve true tab-less targetting, so they both opt for soft-tab targetting (AoC style).

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

lolz....4 to 5 seconds? RLY?? hmm that is strange man because i played beta and got my char to about lvl 15 and i never even noticed that 4 to 5 seconds delay......omho it felt even faster then any other mmorpg (not talking action rpg games, there is a difference).

I might even buy Tera.....altough when i started the beta i never tought i would actually play it, this means they did something right about the game didnt they?

just my 2 copperz

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by komobo

What false statement? that he doesn't like the graphics? the combat? or that the quests are boring? how is that mis information?

Come on, was that what he said "i don't like..."? Misrepresenting the OPs wording does not strengthen your argument chrome.

Of course Tera is nothing like Aion, saying so is a false statement. Combat in Tera is not a matter of mashing keys, saying so is incorrect and does not constitute an opinion.

Just because you might be able to button-mash in Tera, does not mean it is an accurate all-encompassing representation of the combat in Tera. I might run around hitting people on the head with a wrench, does that mean that's the proper and only use of a wrench - is that a valid opinion as to the use of a wrench? Making such a claim would of course be incorrect and make you look like a fool and is no different from what the OP is claiming.

* Waves at Pushkina *

• LokomotivLokomotiv Member Posts: 106

I liked this game in beta.

What made me not buy it was a review I saw from Korean Tera.

Once you hit level cap then you have to "grind for gear" some field bosses that will require you to wait for respawn. This causes a lot of grief.

Not sure if NA/EU is the same, but I rather wait and see.

• CorthagathCorthagath Member Posts: 291

im glad that mmorpgers are finally getting something enjoyable after so long wait of something nice. i hope this year is going to be nice in the mmo history for tera and gw2 and we will keep this level of fun for a long after release as well... i havent played anything after aoc that i enjoyed playing, when talking about mmos so im really pleased that theres something good coming up this year :)

• Sata123Sata123 Member Posts: 34

I was a "clicker" before and after i purchase my razer naga mouse i can't stop playing mmos. :P

This mouse works very good in TERA's combat too.

On topic : Yes TERA opens up ALOT after lvl 20.The quest system and structure remains the same but the world size and feeling the enemies (nothing like Aion's artstyle and graphics wise) and the combat makes up for it.

Actualy i prefer this quest system with my own group and teammates than the Rift/WAR PQ/GW2's "open" system where massing zerg a scripted recycled "quest" area without poropose or coordination and with simple or clunky group dynamics in the case of GW2.(Yes in GW2 some skills and some mechanics works great in a group but the game is not created around and with group PVE dynamics in mind at first place).

TERA has a similar "rift" feature at endgame (Nexus) but maybe i will not like it if 50-60 people mindless zergs the bosses to death lol.We will see... 

AOC has the best leveling quest structure from all the themepark casual mmorpgs IMHO from 1 to 80 lvl.

First time i saw the GW2 beta i sayed "Oh, I dont want my char looks and moves like that!" :P

The TERA's models animations and world is shiny and clean and the world map has variety in it.I like alot the old school structure and feeling of the dungeons too.

The only thing i think TERA is missing is extra fun activities and contents other than combat crafting GvG PVP and world exploration.(Housing maybe?)

Other than that TERA returns some of the lost FUN in the mmorpg gender.

First post here.(Ex-Vanguard fanboy.:P). 

Sorry for my bad english is not my native language.Have fun all! :D

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230

I'm glad you like Aion, I really do. It's also a highly successful game, second most popular mmoprg worldwide I believe. Still, Tera is different. And you don't have to take my word for it, just look at NCsoft, the makers of Aion. Their answer to Tera is not Aion, it's Blade & Soul. Now, that's a game that is similar to Tera, well, from the early looks at it.

The only reason you don't hear much about B&S these days is because the marketing hype machine of NCsoft is trying to promote GW2 and B&S would be a distraction at this point.

You know what would also be cool about B&S? Since they are basically the same company that is making GW2, they can incorporate good aspects of GW2 into B&S. So imagine B&S with dynamic events for example. Best Tera can do is Rift like events, at least for now. On the other hand, both GW2 and B&S can't achieve true tab-less targetting, so they both opt for soft-tab targetting (AoC style).

we dont hear much about B&S beacuse the game still needs a lot work and not beacuse the hype machine of NCsoft..

anyway..here is a interview from B&S lead programmer..that After judge compat system sounds cool..

http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/news/75-interview-with-hong-suk-geun-lead-programmer/page__st__0/

• VenusinfirthVenusinfirth Member UncommonPosts: 4

For me, Tera is an MMO return to form. Sure it's a theme park game, but they have attempted to introduce elements you don't normally see in them like the political system and Outlaw/ infamy points for PKing, guild versus guild wars that cause macro scale player v player grudge fights to erupt all over the place. It's more than just a pretty face, and because of it's vaunted combat system, it's more to offer than the myriad of other WoW clones out there.

It's not the messiah, it's a saucy minx in thigh high glossy black  6 inch stiletto heeled kinky boots that's determined to show you a good time. Lots to love about it. 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by pressedNutz

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Didn't like it, no surprise there.  What I truly found amusing was all of the rampant back patting and self encouragement in general chat.  As if people needed to convince themselves this was the best game they've ever played.

P.S. The action combat is a bit misleading as every single melee / spell ability, roots you in place as you use it.

Clearly you didn't play it for more than 2 minutes. Or you are just lying. General chat was just the same ol' gang of trolls being trollish and all the people telling you to ignore them, ergo the same community we've come to expect from every MMO. There was no "rampant back patting and self encouragement". Though you would get the occational "wow, this game looks georgous." Then the rest of the time it was the normal "WoW was the first mmo...ever!" and "GW2 is going to be awesome" and "your mom is going to be awesome."

"every single melee / spell ability, roots you in place"

Combat does not root in place. In fact the complete opposite is true. Swinging a sword actually forcibly moves you through the stroke. So if you are swinging wildly out of control and not paying attention to your facing while you are on a bridge or ledge you will fall off of it. Which is uber frikken cool. Casting some spells do require that you do stand in place...but name one game where that isn't the case. Between every strike you can move and strafe and jump and for once it actually make a difference where you are facing and what you are doing.

Clearly you didn't play it for more than 2 minutes or you're a liar......